Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I wish someone would do that in my area with the confederate flag some rear end in a top hat has on a scrap of land right next to I95. It’s incredibly visible, and gives our area a bad reputation.

There have been local fights and efforts to have it removed, but there’s no ordinance or law preventing it from being flown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OhDearGodNo posted:

I wish someone would do that in my area with the confederate flag some rear end in a top hat has on a scrap of land right next to I95. It’s incredibly visible, and gives our area a bad reputation.

There have been local fights and efforts to have it removed, but there’s no ordinance or law preventing it from being flown.

Sounds like a drat shame it's made of adamantium.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

OhDearGodNo posted:

IANAL, but if its on public land, maybe it needs some incisive commentary

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

OhDearGodNo posted:

Maybe "someone" should throw a "moltov cocktail" at it. No idea who that would be though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

haveblue posted:

On the contrary, everyone in government should receive a Stone Cold Stunner.

The best way to decide the next president of the United States is who can take the best looking Stone Cold Stunner and we all vote on it American Idol style. Makes as much sense as the current system.

Shame AOC isn't eligible, because she'd probably reverse it and stun Austin.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I want to thank Don Jr for making AOC president some day.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

RuanGacho posted:

IANAL, but if its on public land, maybe it needs some incisive commentary

Maybe a big sign that says, "Have you seen my brother? He's German. He celebrates heritage not hate also! He's red white and black and looks a little different, but we're really the same!"

Oh! Or here's another good one for a nice sign next to it in 7,000 point red font:

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery- the greatest material interest of the world."
-Mississippi Declaration of Secession

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
A woman kicked this whole anti confederate wave off by climbing a flagpole and ripping the flag down.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1127604648519532551

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: whoops!

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 12, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
USPOL Spring: You have no power but your posts and your vote.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

lmao

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Gaunab posted:

The interesting thing about talking to someone that believes the right wing grifters is that the when they point at people on the left who they think are just as bad I have no idea who they're talking about.
This is one of the things that helps reassure me, personally. Whenever I start to wonder if I’m in just as bad of an echo chamber, I realize that we can recognize and refute all of the Top Conservative Thinkers, where when they try to do the same it’s “your lord and master Bill Maher, and your queen Anita Sarkeesian”.

It’s an entire political party of smug homeschool kids ready and waiting to DESTROY their first Evolutionist, only to get laughed off because their “arguments” are fifty years out of date and literally everyone has heard them before.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How does the marriage of nihilistic smug young shitheads who just like being contrary and pissing liberal SJWs off with a bunch of stuff on their chosen "team" that they don't care about like fundie religion and abortion work? Is there any awkwardness at all?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lol I know what this was :-P

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1127604746066583552?s=21

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zwabu posted:

How does the marriage of nihilistic smug young shitheads who just like being contrary and pissing liberal SJWs off with a bunch of stuff on their chosen "team" that they don't care about like fundie religion and abortion work? Is there any awkwardness at all?

Being anti-choice isn't about religiosity, it's about controlling women's bodies which the hateful nihilists are more than on board with.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CascadeBeta posted:

I have no power and I must post

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zwabu posted:

Shockingly well. Turns out the zero-values complaining about women getting "their" stuff just want to hurt them, and don't care much about the reasoning used to do it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Hyperbole was always a sinister evil Democrat plot, it's only recently that it's spread to things like "nicknames".

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

InsertPotPun posted:

Hyperbole was always a sinister evil Democrat plot, it's only recently that it's spread to things like "nicknames".

Dwight Schrute had a heart in the end, so AOC is wrong on this one. Booo.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 12, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zwabu posted:

They just really hate women that much op

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

There are theories that what manifests as conservatism is actually a vestigial impulse to put aside differences to satiate a desire to survive.

so think back to the days of us fighting over access to the good watering hole. The group of protohumans that could just follow one dude probably did better than a bunch acting on their own.

on the left we will always divide among our lines, and we will not show out for someone we don't agree with (hillary for example.) the right doesn't have this problem. They don't care how counter intuitive all the various components are, they just understand at a basic level this is what they need to do. that's why they don't care about corruption in their party. As long as they perceive themselves as winning, and whatever their key desire is (oppression, gun rights, abortion, whatever) they're willing to join this union.

It's why the american left has such a low floor but such a high ceiling. yeah there's more of us but we won't show out if biden or whomever is running for president.

This repeats itself historically. Like how the gently caress did the republicans lose the spanish civil war? They had a 4:1 advantage. Why the gently caress were catholics, monarchists, fascists, and the military aligned? what sense did that make?

And if they could hold it together, why the gently caress couldn't barcelona and madrid get their poo poo together.

obviously there's a ton of other factors here, im just oversimplifying the SCW for this example.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 12, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FizFashizzle posted:

There are theories that what manifests as conservatism is actually a vestigial impulse to put aside differences to satiate a desire to survive.
So conservativism is the political manifestation of Terror Management Theory?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

so think back to the days of us fighting over access to the good watering hole. The group of protohumans that could just follow one dude probably did better than a bunch acting on their own.

on the left we will always divide among our lines, and we will not show out for someone we don't agree with (hillary for example.) the right doesn't have this problem. They don't care how counter intuitive all the various components are, they just understand at a basic level this is what they need to do. that's why they don't care about corruption in their party. As long as they perceive themselves as winning, and whatever their key desire is (oppression, gun rights, abortion, whatever) they're willing to join this union.

It's why the american left has such a low floor but such a high ceiling. yeah there's more of us but we won't show out if biden or whomever is running for president.

This repeats itself historically. Like how the gently caress did the republicans lose the spanish civil war? They had a 4:1 advantage. Why the gently caress were catholics, monarchists, fascists, and the military aligned? what sense did that make?

And if they could hold it together, why the gently caress couldn't spain and madrid get their poo poo together.

obviously there's a ton of other factors here, im just oversimplifying the SCW for this example.

I mean there is something to be said that regressive ideology is simply a lot easier to gather broad appeal from disparate groups, since it wants to stop or rollback any kind of progress or change, and there are a lot of different groups and people that outright hate ANY change, where as you have to have people agree to and fight for meaningful change.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Stickman posted:

Jesus, you guys weren’t kidding. He’s like a hyperactive ground squirrel sucking helium.

It’s no wonder people have trouble debating him - I’d be using every ounce of self control to fight off the giggles.

He sort if sounds like a sped up recording of Sean Hannity.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Stickman posted:

Jesus, you guys weren’t kidding. He’s like a hyperactive ground squirrel sucking helium.

It’s no wonder people have trouble debating him - I’d be using every ounce of self control to fight off the giggles.

How the "alpha male" types see Ben as their God is an eternal mystery to me

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I disagree with AOC on this one. Dwight was weird, but he cared about his friend, did the best posdible at his job, and could actually farm instead of using it as a talking point to get morons to vote for him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

I disagree with AOC on this one. Dwight was weird, but he cared about his friend, did the best posdible at his job, and could actually farm instead of using it as a talking point to get morons to vote for him.

Dwight also has an entire character arc where he becomes a better person. Republicans will never do that

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Are you guys ironically doing the thing she said?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

beejay posted:

Are you guys ironically doing the thing she said?

AOC is a vicious slanderer of goon's favorite Office character.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1127609389316222977?s=19
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1127625967093067776
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1127623012268814337
https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1127174413173108736
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1127377368547348481?s=20
https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1127628520585297920

happy mother's day y'all

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

Dwight also has an entire character arc where he becomes a better person. Republicans will never do that

Dwight is kinda kinda like Ron Swanson where it's a cargo cult type of a character where conservatives love hin because he has the same hobbies as them, but they don't understand why his underylying goodness makes him not like them.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

If you're not actively saving for retirement, regardless of income level, you're going to have a bad time. I work for the Quality Department of a D-SNP Medicare Advantage plan. Planning on public assistance supporting you when you can't work is a sucker's bet right now, and I don't see it getting any better. Measuring the rope neck ties for someone with a retirement plan is looking at things from the rear end backwards direction.

Confounding Factor posted:

Sorry but this is simply bullshit.

beejay posted:

So your advice is "even if you can save money, don't bother, and just hope for the best" huh?

Confounding Factor posted:

Nice moving of goalposts
Lol.

Sorry thread, but I've been out in the middle of nowhere for the last couple days so I'm catching up, and this series of posts are just perfect. But you're right, a lot of people literally can't make ends meet, so my words seem a little empty. Luckily I have some advice for them!

Step 1: Stop working under the table
So I'm sure everyone is aware that working under the table is opening you up to abuse. But most people don't realize that the very act of working under the table, IE not declaring your income to federal government, is exploitative. For the working poor, the vast majority of your paycheck going to FICA, which is going to things like Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare, and Unemployment Insurance. The benefits you get OUT of these programs tend to be based on your income during your working years: your Social Security payment when you retire is based on the best 35 years of your life. Your Social Security Disability Payment, if you're no longer able to work, is mostly based on the last 10 years. Unemployment is based on how much you were earning in the year before you were laid off.
Get it? If you're working under the table, and you're not making AT LEAST 20% more than you'd be making as an official or self-employed employee, you are getting hosed. Don't let the bigger number fool you.

Step 2: Go to the doctor and talk about your medical issue, especially pain
You should be going to the doctor at least every three or four years. Ideally you've got some sort of health insurance, but even if you don't, see if free clinics are available in your county and try to show up. If you're part of the working poor, you're probably doing manual labor or retail work, not sitting at a desk. Your back and shoulders probably hurt. Your knees DEFINITELY hurt. It's not very bad, at the end of the day you probably get off your feet, have a beer, and feel better. It's not a big deal.
Doesn't matter. Talk to your doctor about your pain issues. The doctor will almost certainly tell you that there's nothing they can do about it and to take some Tylenol. They might treat you like you're a drug addict trying to get high. Don't worry about it, don't let it get to you, don't bother pushing it. What you're doing is getting your pain issues into your medical history, before they become debilitating - and it WILL become debilitating. If you don't talk to your doctor about it, it doesn't exist. When you're 10, 20, 30 years older and can't do yard work anymore because of your knees, but you're still years away from that sweet, sweet early-retirement social security check, you're going to need SSDI to bridge the gap. Between your years of work history (because you stopped working under the table, right?) and your medical history, you'll be able to get that disability check after only one or two times through the denials and appeals process. Those are the main two criteria a SSA judge looks at, and only people not getting denied on their initial applications are literally quadriplegics with a decade of work history.

Step 3: Every little bit helps, especially if you start saving early
I get it, I really do. There's too much month at the end of your paycheck, and something has to go. But I'm begging you, please, try and keep retirement in mind even if it's only a little bit. You're probably not working a job where your 401K is going to be vested before you're fired/quit/laid off. But try your best to put a little bit away for retirement. I deal with people every day who never thought about what they'd do when they couldn't work anymore. The cold hard fact is that every year that passes means you're more and more likely to run out of working years before you're done living, and you're way more likely to get there than you think. I'm not saying you should sacrifice today in order to build up your future in 20 years, but I AM saying that I'd bet on you being here still in 20 years. Keep it in mind.
Now, if you DO work a job with a 401K where that 5% of your paycheck is going to matched at 3.75%, pay in. That's your pension. If you're not paying in you are getting hosed. You are going to your boss and saying, "No, I don't want a pension. I don't want you to give me what you owe me. I want you take that 5%, take 2% for Uncle Sam, give me the rest and tell me to gently caress off." Don't do it. You're leaving money on the table, and if you ever DO need that money, you're going to still be better off paying the tax penalty on it then not getting your money at all. It's a little check box saying "Do you want a pension?" hidden behind some bullshit and a smaller number on your paycheck. Don't let the bigger number fool you, check the box.

Is any of this fair? No. Is this how things should be? No. Is there a better way? Absolutely. Are things going to get better? Anything's possible, but I wouldn't depend on hope if I were you.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not so sure it's a great idea to instruct goons how to commit fraud on a public forum.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm not so sure it's a great idea to instruct goons how to commit fraud on a public forum.
It's not fraud to talk to your doctor about your pain issues, but I'll edit it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

fool_of_sound posted:

WTF? He wasn't doing anything like that.

Oh boy, this was a great choice for a mod.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We are all the precariat.

But when talking to folks of the common level of understanding talk to them about precarity itself and how eliminating it can better their lives.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

WTF? He wasn't doing anything like that.

Suggesting that people create an artificial history of pain in order to get disability benefits later in life doesn't sound like it's on the up and up. If you have genuine pain issues then it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OhDearGodNo posted:

White American activism in a nutshell.