Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The American Conservative Bible posted:

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.
31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.
32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.
34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.
35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “No, you fool, he should have been arrested for helping the man. Sad! Make Judaea great again!"

- Luke 10:30-37

tax:

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

fool_of_sound posted:

Suggesting that people create an artificial history of pain in order to get disability benefits later in life doesn't sound like it's on the up and up. If you have genuine pain issues then it's fine.

He said he edited. Maybe I misread it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm not so sure it's a great idea to instruct goons how to commit fraud on a public forum.

Or open up a road towards pain killer addiction. but what do I know?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

He said he edited. Maybe I misread it.

Yes he edited it to fix my objection, like he said he would. It's fine now.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

yeah pro advice for the working poor, get into pain pills.

I honestly checked like twice to see if it was a quote from somewhere that we were making fun of but no it appears to be earnest

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tibalt posted:

Step 2: Go to the doctor and ask for prescription pain medication
You should be going to the doctor at least every three or four years. Ideally you've got some sort of health insurance, but even if you don't, see if free clinics are available in your county and try to show up. If you're part of the working poor, you're probably doing manual labor or retail work, not sitting at a desk. Your back and shoulders probably hurt. Your knees DEFINITELY hurt. It's not very bad, at the end of the day you probably get off your feet, have a beer, and feel better. It's not a big deal.
Doesn't matter. Talk to your doctor about your pain issues. The doctor will almost certainly tell you that there's nothing they can do about it and to take some Tylenol. They might treat you like you're a drug addict trying to get high. Don't worry about it, don't let it get to you, don't bother pushing it. What you're doing is getting your pain issues into your medical history, before they become debilitating - and it WILL become debilitating. If you don't talk to your doctor about it, it doesn't exist. When you're 10, 20, 30 years older and can't do yard work anymore because of your knees, but you're still years away from that sweet, sweet early-retirement social security check, you're going to need SSDI to bridge the gap. Between your years of work history (because you stopped working under the table, right?) and your medical history, you'll be able to get that disability check after only one or two times through the denials and appeals process. Those are the main two criteria a SSA judge looks at, and only people not getting denied on their initial applications are literally quadriplegics with a decade of work history.

Also cook and eat children.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't think Tibalt actually wants people shoving Vicodin into their mouths. He's just advising people with pain to get that in their medical records, which is valid.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

BiggerBoat posted:

The reality of pain treatment in the US right now is that it's not real unless you've been complaining about it for years, and even then they might not believe you if the damage doesn't show up on an MRI.

But I understand why what I said is lovely given the context of the opioid crisis. Believe me, I'm aware of the issue.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't think Tibalt actually wants people shoving Vicodin into their mouths. He's just advising people with pain to get that in their medical records, which is valid.

Yeah he was also talking about people doing under the table/manual labor.

You’re basically guaranteed to have back/knee/body problems in general if you spend decades doing hard physical work.

Which is a gigantic portion of US workers, making it even more egregious we don’t have universal coverage.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I edited it more. I apologize, what I said was wrong. I have a very cynical view of how we're dealing with the opioid crisis due to how I interact with Medicare and Medicaid members in PA and OH. While I feel like the system has gone too far the other way in reaction to over-prescription, and is now hurting people with pain issues in a misguided attempt to punish drug users, I should not tell people to ask for pain medication frivolously. While it's true that most providers will shut down even legitimate requests, pill mills still exist and there is a very real problem right now. The point I was trying to make was that you should bring your medical issues forcefully enough that they make it into your medical history, in this case by crossing a line that would be noted by providers.

It's easy for someone to minimize their own issues, and its easy for those issues to be ignored by providers. Please don't minimize your own pain, and please don't let constraints put in place deter you from seeking the medical care you need.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RasperFat posted:

Yeah he was also talking about people doing under the table/manual labor.

You’re basically guaranteed to have back/knee/body problems in general if you spend decades doing hard physical work.

Which is a gigantic portion of US workers, making it even more egregious we don’t have universal coverage.

You don’t have to strategically establish a paper trail over a period of years to get meloxicam though

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As a court reporter for Social Security hearings, I hear a lot of social security cases. My biggest advice to having them go well is to be really honest and ideally share an interest with the judge

Like there was one case, the judge asks "when was the last time you had alcohol?" -- "I've been dry for two full years." -- "It says here you have had a hospital stay two months ago resulting from when you went to a bar, got in a fight, followed someone home to continue the fight and they ended up calling you an ambulance?" The claim didn't go well for them.

And the other end, "when was the last time you smoked marijuana?" -- "To be perfectly honest your honor, about 15 minutes ago" Approved

I mean obviously the important parts of the case (!!medical records!!) make the difference, but don't lie to a judge you goobers

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tibalt posted:

The reality of pain treatment in the US right now is that it's not real unless you've been complaining about it for years, and even then they might not believe you if the damage doesn't show up on an MRI.

But I understand why what I said is lovely given the context of the opioid crisis. Believe me, I'm aware of the issue.

Dude, I'm under pain management and am prescribed pain killers so I understand the reality of it just fine.

You seem to be offering economic advice or...something... towards frugality in this modern American age while missing the big picture here.

You still don't seem to grasp that for most of us, there simply IS no extra to sock away. I do it - or try anyway - and I am quite frugal. I have child support payments and an hour commute to and from work every day. $80 a week in gas. Perhaps I should purchase a scooter? Believe me when I tell that whatever I manage to put away can get eaten up in a heartbeat when I need new tires, a timing belt or (in my specific case) when my son goes to the ER with and epileptic seizure (2x).

You know what a deductible is?

I repaired my sandals with velcro today, squirt my 2007 car windshield with a water bottle because my washer pump is broken, pack my own lunch, shop at yard sales and flea markets plus pick and choose when I can afford to seek therapy for any number of mental health issues. I wear the same t-shirts and clothes until they disintegrate and haven't bought any new furniture in over a decade.

EDIT: redacted some stuff about pain pills in light of the apology

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 12, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1127641362004873217?s=20

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Fallom posted:

You don’t have to strategically establish a paper trail over a period of years to get meloxicam though

No but it will definitely help get approval for SSDI when your knee completely gives out at 55 and you have a full decade before you get regular SS.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

border wall... good???

(still nope)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Daddy Putin nods approvingly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I mean...I'd rather they didn't build the wall either but...yay? Kinda? One fascist money pit being drained to fill another? With how Trump runs things I'm sure more of that money will be squandered/slushed than actually goes to bricks on the border so...I dunno we'll call it a wash.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Daddy Putin nods approvingly

lmao "our military budget might only be 10 times russia's, putin is going to conquer us any day now"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope the next democratic president tells the Pentagon that they can have anything that's left of their 2.5 billion in wallbux back and that's their only budget "increase" for 2020.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fool_of_sound posted:

lmao "our military budget might only be 10 times russia's, putin is going to conquer us any day now"

You were just complaining, rightfully, about other people using straw men yesterday. Come on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1127611934134755328

Shocking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

if we don't send spy planes over Pakistan Putin will have his tanks in Anchorage by the next month!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

You were just complaining, rightfully, about other people using straw men yesterday. Come on.

Fair enough. I don't really know how to take that sentiment as anything other than thoughtless jingoism though.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
It is shocking that it didn’t all go to existing debts, drugs, and gambling, yes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What an unexpected turn of events

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Fair enough. I don't really know how to take that sentiment as anything other than thoughtless jingoism though.

I was just amused that we're pulling money to build the stupid loving wall from ICBM research and spy planes, two things Putin would be very happy for us to defund.

I'm not defending our grotesquely huge defense budget or anything. It just nicely fits the "Trump is Putin's lackey" narrative.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Again I don't think putin gives a poo poo about a few billion dollars being pulled out of our enormously bloated budget

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Again I don't think putin gives a poo poo about a few billion dollars being pulled out of our enormously bloated budget

I agree, and you're taking an offhand quip about Daddy Putin way too seriously

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Fun cameo by human garbage golem Jesse Singal there.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Seeing his chance Putin is sending the Red Army across the Finnish border right now

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Feinne posted:

Fun cameo by human garbage golem Jesse Singal there.

It’s kind of amazing how the science “experts” on trans people sound exactly like eugenics “scientists” from 100 years ago.

I have a strong feeling they recognize that fact, but consider it a bonus instead of horrifying and disqualifying.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

OhDearGodNo posted:

I wish someone would do that in my area with the confederate flag some rear end in a top hat has on a scrap of land right next to I95. It’s incredibly visible, and gives our area a bad reputation.

There have been local fights and efforts to have it removed, but there’s no ordinance or law preventing it from being flown.
Be the change you wish to see, comrade.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

RasperFat posted:

It’s kind of amazing how the science “experts” on trans people sound exactly like eugenics “scientists” from 100 years ago.

I have a strong feeling they recognize that fact, but consider it a bonus instead of horrifying and disqualifying.

They probably low-key agree with those eugenicists.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Only Trump could take money from a bloated and wasteful Pentagon budget and somehow spend it on something even more useless and wasteful.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Feinne posted:

They probably low-key agree with those eugenicists.

...low-key? It isnt like they dont consistently post maps of IQ by country of origin with the oh-so-subtle suggestion that certain people should be kept out of the gene pool or anything.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

BardoTheConsumer posted:

...low-key? It isnt like they dont consistently post maps of IQ by country of origin with the oh-so-subtle suggestion that certain people should be kept out of the gene pool or anything.

Yeah I'll be less fair, they probably believe in phrenology.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127681373966409730

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Feinne posted:

Those of them that can spell the word phrenology almost certainly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Feinne posted:

Moreso than the actual science they claim to be standing up for.

And like actual neuroscientists and development experts and biologists and doctors offer to debate people like Ben all the loving time, but they’re smart enough to know not to respond to those and dismiss them as “trolls.”