Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Reukra was also highly enjoyable because of how the game didn't try to hide his errors, though in a totally different way because of his personality (did I mention Insurgence knows what the gently caress character voice is? Because it does!). Even when he was meant to come across as far more competent and dangerous, he fully reacted to defeat and acknowledged the player's success.

"Oh, for crying out loud."

Also as far as hilariously incompetent badguys go, a shoutout for Taen, the one who gave us the glory of the Original Dragon Namehere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Taen was :allears: incarnate, and I was genuinely happy he's making a return in the Insurgence dev's next game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Insurgence is actually pretty good for a fan game, honestly. It gets challenge and gives you options to overcome them, it has characters with actual voices and that you don't roll your eyes at every time they show up, and they do antagonists pretty well, even though I have to be honest and say I don't remember anything about Aqua Cult or whatever. Oh, actually I remember a bit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Seemed like they were kind of feature creeping themselves, though. It one thing to take pre-existing mons and give them new types in the Deltas. It’s another entirely to introduce 4 or 5 completely new types with their own match-up quirks, though.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly a `least bad` character would be far more interesting, given this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Regalingualius posted:

Seemed like they were kind of feature creeping themselves, though. It one thing to take pre-existing mons and give them new types in the Deltas. It’s another entirely to introduce 4 or 5 completely new types with their own match-up quirks, though.
I think that's their next game, not Insurgence.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Titania gets my vote because I remember that it was mentioned on one of the Omni interviews that Titania was closer to an ame self insert than her actual self insert

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

DeafNote posted:

Honestly a `least bad` character would be far more interesting, given this game.

Adrienn, easily. They fixed up the city and didn’t suck.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Qrr posted:

Adrienn, easily. They fixed up the city and didn’t suck.

Has beaten the odds in not being ruined by reprehensible behavior despite many avenues for it to happen. Episode 19 may change that but lasting so long is commendable.

the dumbest thing about adrienn is being frozen in time for 10 years for *waves hands* reasons

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silegna posted:

So...like Black and White?

Oh it's already been done before? I never played Black or White and I totally forget everything I saw of it from Chorocojo's LP of it too.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

rannum posted:

the dumbest thing about adrienn is being frozen in time for 10 years for *waves hands* reasons

Because "Oh poo poo X/Y came out and now I need a character to gym-lead the new type."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh it's already been done before? I never played Black or White and I totally forget everything I saw of it from Chorocojo's LP of it too.

the climax of the game has you storm a castle and your friends rally the gym leaders help out and they'll deal with the 6 sages while you go further in to fight N. You don't team up with them in battle (in fact, only 2 of the sages are ever fought by you and those are both in the sequel), but it was still nice.

The anime didn't do that but they must have loved the idea because the XY anime had all the gym leaders, diantha and Steven come in to team up & help stop Lysandre. So that was cool.

rannum fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 13, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I also came to kind of like the son who in the route we followed defected from Meteor. There was still a bit too much angst about him but he was at least trying to make up for what he did and due to the nature of traveling with partners in pokemon games, he made a very drawn out section of gameplay seem a lot more manageable. Of course he then dies due to Lin/Titania bullshit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am such a sucker for "All the friends we made showed up to help at the 11th hour!" and I don't care who knows

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

It worked pretty well too, because your character was the star of the show. There's a goal, Sages are stopping you from reaching the goal, all the gym leaders show up and are awesome so that you can go do your thing. In Reborn you only ever get to do things begrudgingly, as the only one left.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let's try this Insurrection thing, then. Anything I should know going on?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a big level gap you have to overcome for the first gym. Once you have done that you are all set as many of the quality of life features begin to come in to play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

There is a big level gap you have to overcome for the first gym. Once you have done that you are all set as many of the quality of life features begin to come in to play.
Do I wanna play Traditional or Dark?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

PMush Perfect posted:

Traditional is kinda similar to a 4kids dub; Dark is edge mode but surprisingly not that out of place and a bit more comparable to a Kamen Raider plotline/saturday moning cartoon-tv show (I'm honestly baffled that I'm recommending edge mode of all things). Also use the Deltas, they are cute and a big part of the fun.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 13, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OgretailFood posted:

comparable to a Kamen Raider plotline/saturday moning cartoon-tv show
Well, poo poo, now I'm excited. What're the difficulties like?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Go normal, Hard mode is a tad bit too grindy for most people. I'm running one but I'm a grindcore masochist basically

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Noel and Shelly seem like okay characters just doing their best in the terrible world they live in, and Shelly's arc where she makes more friends and names her Pokemon after them is cute.

Um, um... You can battle Ciel as soon as you're told you need to, and she doesn't send you on a pointless sidequest first? That's nice of her.

But the only reason I remember who Ciel is is because I only got caught up with the thread last week.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

EDIT: Beaten to the punch, nvm.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, poo poo, now I'm excited. What're the difficulties like?

The first gym has a leader with four pokemon, and gym leaders will have pokemon of different typing of their main type for coverage. The second gym is poison and bug for example. Also, starting with the second gym, every gym leader will have a mega evolution. You get a mega ring before the third gym though, so it evens out a bit on that front. As long as you have good coverage, you should be fine, though there are a few spikes.

Thundersword238 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 13, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shelly is probably the best character. I get the impression that her player was the one reasonable person in the group, who made a totally normal gym leader with a simple pun name and a personality a real human might have, only to find the rest of the RP drowning in awful tragic backstories and stupid edgy gimmicks.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
It helps that Shelly (the Reborn character) actually seems affected by all the deaths and apparent-deaths happening around her: She mourns for Corey and Cain for more than a few token lines, and she grieves for Samson/Ciel even though she doesn't seem to know them well. Compare to other allies who don't seem to care much about torture and murder unless it's directly happening to them or a loved one. She also tries to be supportive towards Heather during her lowest points, and naming a Leavanny after Raven was honestly really cute.

Adrienn's another character that has a net positive impact on the lives of other people. The only reason xe starts as an antagonist is because xe's misled about the situation, and after xe sees what's really happening xe immediately vows to help restore the city to its former prestige. It makes a good contrast against the villains who are trying to make the city miserable and uninhabitable, and could be written into a theme that proves the whole "this city is blasphemy and Arceus wants it gone" thing to be bullshit... which means I fully expect this entire subplot to be undone in E19 right before throwing Adrienn into the void.

There are a bunch of characters that are hard to remember but otherwise inoffensive: Ciel and Samson, Arclight... Noel? Noel's alright, as far as someone related to Radomus and Anna can be alright. Some characters like Cain, Serra, and Taka have surprisingly relatable or funny moments, but are dragged down by many of their other scenes. All things considered, most of the characters aren't horrible, but they either have some kind of gimmick they keep snapping back into despite all signs of development, or they feed off the bullshit that the wackier and edgier characters run the show with.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I ended up voting for Terra on the worst poll, even though she was intended to be bad, because somehow even with cain right there, the degree of sexual aggressiveness in her lolrandom jokes actually bothered me. But there are many other good choices for worst (and I'm glad the discussion is on a more positive topic for the moment).

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally Fern is the worst for me, simply because I am somewhat entertained by the continuous trainwreck of Titanamaria and Radomus, but Fern drags down every scene he was in, and never in an amusing way.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So what's going to happen to this regarding the archive if e19 takes too long to show up?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

The highest praise I can make for insurgence is that traditional mode actually feels like a Pokemon game. Now it's not perfect don't get me wrong but I actually geniunely like it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

The highest praise I can make for insurgence is that traditional mode actually feels like a Pokemon game. Now it's not perfect don't get me wrong but I actually geniunely like it

I don't think there's greater praise for a fangame than "it feels like the franchise it is trying to emulate".

Contrast to this horrible trainwreck that never felt, and never will feel, like a Pokémon game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mandatory lesbian posted:

Agreed. It has some dark bits, no doubt, and the opening really feels off even compared to the darkest bits of the rest of the game (a certain area exempt), but it balances it all out with legitimate charm and humor.

legit spoiler:
even the one good guy NPC death hits you. They take the time to establish his character, who he likes, dislikes, etc, you get to know him, and it doesn't feel like a needless death per se.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

MR. J posted:

So what's going to happen to this regarding the archive if e19 takes too long to show up?

Fedule's VLR LP got resurrected at the eleventh hour, so I'm sure the good and kind mods can do the same for everyone's favourite trainwreck if it comes to that.

I mean, we're strapped in at this point. We can't not see it through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aren't the archives still broken?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
The LP Archive is getting submissions again, if that's what you mean.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I'm thinking he meant forum archives.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Threads aren't being culled, but they still get put in archive lock. Which is only reversible by an admin, I believe. And also a huge pain in the rear end to do.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Everyone saying goodbye is really misunderstanding this. The real "grand finale" is still to come. This is more like a lovely, overly long intermission. Lets all go to the lobby to have ourselves a treat while Amethyst finishes this trainwreck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rannum posted:

the climax of the game has you storm a castle and your friends rally the gym leaders help out and they'll deal with the 6 sages while you go further in to fight N. You don't team up with them in battle (in fact, only 2 of the sages are ever fought by you and those are both in the sequel), but it was still nice.

The anime didn't do that but they must have loved the idea because the XY anime had all the gym leaders, diantha and Steven come in to team up & help stop Lysandre. So that was cool.

Aww boo, I don't care about off screen fights, I want people throwing in a Blastoise and Metagross into a battle in progress to actually back you up.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I am such a sucker for "All the friends we made showed up to help at the 11th hour!" and I don't care who knows

That one gets a lot more play than 'Acknowledgement for being powerful from my peers' but I still enjoy it a lot too. The Runaway Five are all very cool to me all these years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Detective Pikachu is good.