Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Billionaires are obsessed with space just because guillotines don't work in zero g.

I should invent a powered guillotine. I could strike it rich and become a - oh crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I said come in! posted:

lol strange cause I swear to god the first reports of this were that it was about young Picard in his Starfleet Academy days.

You don’t even know the premise of the show, yet you insist it’s going to be poo poo
:thunk:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I said come in! posted:

lol strange cause I swear to god the first reports of this were that it was about young Picard in his Starfleet Academy days.

A show about a character in his 20's starring an actor in his late 70's :thunk:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I should invent a powered guillotine. I could strike it rich and become a - oh crap.

Think of it as a noble self-sacrifice.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Haha well wouldn't be too far off from that TNG young Picard episode with 50something Patrick Stewart romancing that young Starfleet academy student.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's 1 thing that will make or break the Picard show entirely, IMO

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

We semi had this in TNG. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You don’t even know the premise of the show, yet you insist it’s going to be poo poo
:thunk:

In my defense, it's a Star Trek show. I mean come on now, that's really all you need.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey, digital de-aging has gotten pretty amazing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There's 1 thing that will make or break the Picard show entirely, IMO

Your image is broken but it better be the makeup test pic of Picard with a combover

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I said come in! posted:

We semi had this in TNG. :v:

I was gonna say that the last time Picard was on Star Trek was 25 years ago but holy poo poo Nemesis was 2002 :wtc:

I said come in! posted:

In my defense, it's a Star Trek show. I mean come on now, that's really all you need.

So, do you like Star Trek or what? It's kind of unclear.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skasion posted:

Your image is broken but it better be the makeup test pic of Picard with a combover

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Hey, digital de-aging has gotten pretty amazing

I will never forget the insanely creepy CGI Patrick Stewart from the end of Wolverine: Origins.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Booooo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Orv posted:

I will never forget the insanely creepy CGI Patrick Stewart from the end of Wolverine: Origins.

I can't remember what it was, but some movie used digital de-aging on a major character recently (not Nuck Fury in Captain Marvel) and it was actually...pretty good, IIRC?

Definitely not "80-year-old playing a Starfleet cadet" good, but surprisingly solid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can't remember what it was, but some movie used digital de-aging on a major character recently (not Nuck Fury in Captain Marvel) and it was actually...pretty good, IIRC?

Definitely not "80-year-old playing a Starfleet cadet" good, but surprisingly solid.

Oh it's gotten way way better, that Origins movie was a decade ago. It just haunts my dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnfhogpyEJQ

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Is this the title of a Greatest Generation episode?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Orv posted:

Oh it's gotten way way better, that Origins movie was a decade ago. It just haunts my dreams.

:stare:

e: oh yeah it was the trailer for Gemini Man which looks pretty dumb but features a terrifyingly realistic Fresh Prince-era Will Smith:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Samuel L. Jackson in The Secret Of Mother Vulcan Fury

And yeah, Marvel's de-aging is on point these days. Even a few years ago in whichever movie they de-aged Robert Downey Jr. it was super creepy, but now it's only creepy in a "how is this even possible" way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Greatest Gen had a great bit today mashing up Odo with some Seinfeld audio and later about how powerfully he would lay down that pipe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I love Star Trek up until the end of Deep Space 9. TNG and DS9 were two of the most important shows to me growing up and i'm currently rewatching all of TNG.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

And yeah, Marvel's de-aging is on point these days. Even a few years ago in whichever movie they de-aged Robert Downey Jr. it was super creepy, but now it's only creepy in a "how is this even possible" way.

Yeah de-ageing actors like Robert Downey Jr and Kurt Russell to ages where they were already super famous, where we the audience know really well what they looked like, and for it to still look great, is so impressive.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Star Trek hasn't been consistently any good since DS9, everything's been a downward trajectory with brief flashes of decency here and there since then. Automatically assuming any further entries are going to be poo poo -even with no more information- is the logical position at this point.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:stare:

e: oh yeah it was the trailer for Gemini Man which looks pretty dumb but features a terrifyingly realistic Fresh Prince-era Will Smith:

I saw a preview for this when we saw Avengers recently and it broke my brain.
The person I went with thought they must have found someone that looked similar to him. I assumed it was either de-aging or straight up cgi though.
Star Wars did it and technology always improves over time so you know we'll be seeing this a lot now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That looks like a young version of old Will Smith but doesn't actually look like young Will Smith

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

marktheando posted:

The Starfleet Academy thing is a different show, an animated show.

edit- wait it's not animated, I was thinking of the Lower Decks show. It's tough to keep track of all these treks.

Aren't there two animated shows? One for kids and Lower Decks?

I hope Discovery gets a holodeck in season 3 so we can get some a holodeck episode.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Imagine what it will be like in the future, entire generations of actors will train their whole lives in performing arts only to have their faces dubbed over, like some sort of digital puppeteer. Or like Worf controlling Quark to fight that other Klingon dude. Mocap your life.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe I’m just spoiled by the MCU de-aging, but the young Will Smith in that trailer looks way too waxy and smooth, especially in profile. It looks bad in everything other than a static shot, which is kind of an issue for an action movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
ed: thanks for the double post, awful app

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

That was Civil War

But yeah, Marvel does this a ton now. I think the most extensive use of it is in Captain Marvel where they de-age Samuel L. Jackson for the entire film.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Veotax posted:

That was Civil War

But yeah, Marvel does this a ton now. I think the most extensive use of it is in Captain Marvel where they de-age Samuel L. Jackson for the entire film.

Right, but in that shot in Civil War they CYA'd on the tech because it was Tony, in character, demonstrating his memory hologram poo poo. The uncanny valley wasn't a problem there, but it was also clearly a test of their progress for future use

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Veotax posted:

That was Civil War

Digital recreations of actors are getting stunning, particularly in cases like RDJ and Michael Douglas, who we have a good mental picture of as younger people from their earlier roles.

I still hate the CG Peter Cushing in Rogue One though, that's the line for me - don't bring a dude back from the dead with CG. It's loving weird.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Right, but in that shot in Civil War they CYA'd on the tech because it was Tony, in character, demonstrating his memory hologram poo poo. The uncanny valley wasn't a problem there, but it was also clearly a test of their progress for future use

It’s still rough, but they’d also already done it better in the previous film, Ant-Man, with the de-aged Michael Douglas.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Orv posted:

Yikes, even the video still looks awful on that one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It looks like a snapchat filter

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

From a certain point a view Star Trek is a show about the morally and logically superior humans going around the galaxy showing all the weird aliens how dumb and backwards they are.

Hence the Prime Directive.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Nope. The history of Romulan-Klingon diplomacy doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense if you try and follow it along. They nuke Narendra III and its a big deal that realigns the Klingons toward the Feds, but a couple years later, the Romulans do the same thing to Khitomer (the one Worf’s dad gets blamed for) and everyone is apparently shocked and appalled and it‘s explained as a cowardly stab in the back from the Romulans that only an inside man could have made possible. You can try and build a coherent narrative out of it but I think the shows are too vague on the facts to get very far.

I don't remember a big deal being made out of the Romulans' actions, more just that there was a Klingon traitor, but TNG does pretty thoroughly paint the Romulans as very aggressive against their neighbors; aside from the Klingon outposts that got whacked, there's also the named but not elaborated Norpin Massacre/Campaign, the Tomed Incident, as well as the whole plot behind The Defector where they risk sparking an outright war just to bait a Federation starship into the Neutral Zone to capture or destroy it. Oh and also the O'Brien time travel episode in DS9 (no, the other one) where the Romulans carry out a sneak attack on Deep Space Nine that destroys the space station. And those are just the plots where they go in disrupters blazing!

I feel like a Trek fanfic writer who wanted to do Tom Clancy In Space would do well to just spin out an alternate timeline where a Federation/Romulan war breaks out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No more waaaaarrrssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ah, boy. I'm just so tired of all these Star Trek wars