Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Jeopardy is skill-heavy. Personally I watch it to admire the contestants and to see how well I do. When a true heavyweight comes on, so much the better. It's fun for the same reason the Olympics is.
Interestingly, professional athletes have only been allowed in the Olympics for about 30 years. It was an amateur competition for nearly 100 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t think the issue is that he is a heavy weight. I think the issue is that he is simply a douchebag.

Yup.

1glitch0 posted:

If I was a contestant, sure I'd like to make the producers and Alex happy, but I think I'd rather have 1.6 million dollars.

Yeah, I didn't do it because I hadn't practiced for it, but if I had I'd have straight up ignored it. The money is more important than the optional instructions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spokes posted:

I think there’s differences between daily double hunting, starting with the high value clues, and just bouncing around the board to confuse your opponents (and J! crew). The value of the first two is obvious and the third is just kind of obnoxious and weird

Well, bouncing works! Not for everyone but for enough people that it keeps coming back. It keeps your opponents of balance and gives you a half second of being the only one who's able to anticipate the category. I know the producers don't like it but they haven't changed the rules to prevent it so whatever.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

haveblue posted:

Yeah the whole idea of game shows is to see how "ordinary" people do at extraordinary challenges of skill and luck. World-class trivia masters are usually not ordinary in that sense.

And this isn't really true for Jeopardy. You have to have a solid command of trivia to be competitive, and that's without even getting into the buzzer. This isn't Price is Right where there's no skill test (as far as I know) to be on air. You have to be a naturally curious person (bonus points if you've watched lots of Jeopardy and can recognize their patterns/get good at finding the actual question in a wordy clue) to even get an audition.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah but compare jeopardy to say learned league.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Obviously there are tiers of difficulty! But people who get on Jeopardy are rarely "ordinary."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Present company excluded haha got 'em

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah but compare jeopardy to say learned league.

Cheating isn’t rampant in Jeopardy tho

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
LA BOW-HEMM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spokes posted:

Cheating isn’t rampant in Jeopardy tho

i wanted to get into learnedleague until i figured that was probably the case.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
so with an 11,600 to 9.600 lead Sara gets the daily double on the last clue of double Jeopardy and gets it wrong, ensuring she goes into Final with a tie rather than the lead

I'd much rather watch James "ruin" the game by playing well and knowing the strategy than this

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t think the issue is that he is a heavy weight. I think the issue is that he is simply a douchebag.
I mean, exactly this. It's not like you have to be an rear end in a top hat to be a heavyweight; Ken Jennings seems to be a legitimately decent and funny human being, and pretty much everyone featured in Prisoner of Trebekistan comes across great. It's unusual for a great Jeopardy champion to be a dick about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Albino Squirrel posted:

I mean, exactly this. It's not like you have to be an rear end in a top hat to be a heavyweight; Ken Jennings seems to be a legitimately decent and funny human being, and pretty much everyone featured in Prisoner of Trebekistan comes across great. It's unusual for a great Jeopardy champion to be a dick about it.

The rich are dicks, they only dream of eradicating the poor by turning them into Soylent Green.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

james didn't really bug me apart from the being unable to smile thing until i read that comment where he said he isn't cut out for a 9-5 and never had one. does he think people choose and enjoy working their 9-5 with a boss telling them what to do?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

james didn't really bug me apart from the being unable to smile thing until i read that comment where he said he isn't cut out for a 9-5 and never had one. does he think people choose and enjoy working their 9-5 with a boss telling them what to do?

YES

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked the clue a couple nights ago, "A malamute is on the flag of this Canadian territory to reflect the dog's important role in the history of the place" where the contestant answered "What is Labrador?" and immediately winced. Meanwhile, my SO sarcastically said, "What is Newfoundland?"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

CPColin posted:

I liked the clue a couple nights ago, "A malamute is on the flag of this Canadian territory to reflect the dog's important role in the history of the place" where the contestant answered "What is Labrador?" and immediately winced. Meanwhile, my SO sarcastically said, "What is Newfoundland?"
NEWFOUNDLAND IS JUST TRIANGLES AAAARGH

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm glad Alex just shut that guy down when he tried to rap.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I can't decide if I like Dave's bolo tie, civil war handlebar, or American flag glasses frame better.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
None of these people deserve to go to the final.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

None of these people deserve to go to the final.

:agreed:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I'm glad Alex just shut that guy down when he tried to rap.
he learned his lesson after last time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQk7YGpFZ4

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 11, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Watching old Tournament of Champions episodes on Netflix and drat Roger Craig's "What is................." hesitation thing is grating

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

Watching old Tournament of Champions episodes on Netflix and drat Roger Craig's "What is................." hesitation thing is grating
I hope whoever takes down James does this because he seems like a really easy person to annoy by loving with the game's pacing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

emgeejay posted:

he learned his lesson after last time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQk7YGpFZ4

way to prove him right guys

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
One More Week until the James Era resumes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spokes posted:

One More Week until the James Era resumes

:(

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
And the constant rewatching of a home-recorded VHS copy of The Mouse on the Mayflower during my childhood pays off once again during Final Jeopardy.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't think bed surfing should have counted.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Amazon can gently caress off with this Alexa poo poo. This is gross.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

puppets freak me out posted:

Gotta pay for James somehow

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

puppets freak me out posted:

For some reason it makes me feel better that it's an obvious overdub and Alex likely read the categories to the studio audience

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gaunab posted:

I don't think bed surfing should have counted.

I agree with that. I have never ever heard that phrase. "Bed surfing"? Would floor surfing or bathtub surfing worked? I think the judges messed up on that one.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm old but I think bed surfing is exchanging sex for shelter.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

I'm old but I think bed surfing is exchanging sex for shelter.
It's like stationary rear end, gas, or grass

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Man I am so much better at math than these guys, and so very much worse at Russian composers. I didn't even know two of the ones they picked (including the correct response).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

PT6A posted:

Man I am so much better at math than these guys, and so very much worse at Russian composers. I didn't even know two of the ones they picked (including the correct response).

Dude read about the Rite of Spring riot, it's wild

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
This guy on Wheel of Fortune is really something.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
GoT was so garbage this year I actually looked forward to the return of regular Jeopardy and James' streak than the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

GoT was so garbage this year I actually looked forward to the return of regular Jeopardy and James' streak than the finale.

Make sure to post about it in every thread on the forums! And don't forget to sign the petition!