Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For some reason OKG always makes me think of that dude

I wonder if he's doing alright

e: oh god the first google result after his twitter is a KiwiFarms page on him.

gonna take the answer to that question as a HARD NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah anyone who gets systematically harassed by kiwifarms is probably pretty hosed by that, unfortunate

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hadn’t watched anime in a while and started watching Hunter X Hunter (2011 edition, although I watched the first two ‘99 eps first) not really knowing anything about it and it blew me away how good and totally unexpected plot wise it was. I really enjoyed it.

I followed that up with Hero Academia which is also really good but a little more standard shonen stuff, and then I tried to start Fairy Tail and it’s ok but but probably not the best choice after those other two. Are they any recommendations for other kind of higher brow or deconstructive shonen series that are in a similar vein to HxH or HA? I’m not well versed in what’s even out at the moment so any suggestions are welcome even if it’s not shonen stuff

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I hadn’t watched anime in a while and started watching Hunter X Hunter (2011 edition, although I watched the first two ‘99 eps first) not really knowing anything about it and it blew me away how good and totally unexpected plot wise it was. I really enjoyed it.

I followed that up with Hero Academia which is also really good but a little more standard shonen stuff, and then I tried to start Fairy Tail and it’s ok but but probably not the best choice after those other two. Are they any recommendations for other kind of higher brow or deconstructive shonen series that are in a similar vein to HxH or HA? I’m not well versed in what’s even out at the moment so any suggestions are welcome even if it’s not shonen stuff

Mob Psycho 100 doesnt fit everything youre looking for but its really loving good anyway so start with that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That’s by the dude who wrote one punch man right? I’ll check it out thanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is by the same author as HXH and explores a lot of the same themes, it's earlier work so it's a bit messier/more stock shonen in execution but it has a lot of cool ideas of its own, too. It's older though so you might have seen it.

Gun x Sword is a mid-2000s mecha series with a pretty interesting view of revenge and heroism, it can get a bit episodic in the middle but it's only 26 episodes so it shouldn't be bad compared to an average shonen.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is another more non-standard shonen rec you see get tossed around, lots of focus on war and its victims, the anime adaptation starts out pretty goofy though since it's speeding through material that was covered by an earlier anime (that didn't adapt the whole manga.)

Tiger & Bunny is a fun superhero show with a mostly adult main cast, including the two leads. Some people dislike the more serious second half but I like it well enough, and it has some interesting ideas on capitalism and tv coverage of crime, it's not exactly super deep but it's definitely something that's aimed at adults.

Jojo's isn't really higher brow or deconstructive, but it is one of the other big shonen shows of the moment, so you might dig it. It's definitely very different from stock shonen like Fairy Tail, partly because while it's a fiarly recent anime the manga it's based on has been running for decades, and partly because the author just has very odd (but interesting) ideas on what a shonen manga should be.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 10, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

trigun is considered shounen right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

trigun is considered shounen right?
Pretty much, yes. Also, if you haven't checked it out, Yasuhiro Nightow's other big manga/anime, Blood Blockade Battlefront / Kekkai Sensen is also pretty baller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Gun x Sword is a mid-2000s mecha series with a pretty interesting view of revenge and heroism, it can get a bit episodic in the middle but it's only 26 episodes so it shouldn't be bad compared to an average shonen.

If you check GxS out, give it until episode 6 to actually get going and get REALLY good. Some of the initial episodes are kinda so-so.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or if you don't like it just stop watching, its ok.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched two eps of Mob Pyscho and I already love it so when I’m done with that I’ll watch the ones Endorph and Neddy recommended. I watched Trigun and liked it until the end when I loved the direction it took and I watched the original Metal Gear Alechemist, is Brotherhood different?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I watched two eps of Mob Pyscho and I already love it so when I’m done with that I’ll watch the ones Endorph and Neddy recommended. I watched Trigun and liked it until the end when I loved the direction it took and I watched the original Metal Gear Alechemist, is Brotherhood different?

I asked this question like 18 months ago and the best response I got was that the original took a few too many creative liberties in adapting from print to animation while Brotherhood sticks much more faithfully to the print version and is better for it.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 10, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

The original FMA caught up with the manga at Maes Hughes's death. Rather than add a ton of filler or go on hiatus or whatever, they made up an entirely new story past that point, with the original author's help.

Brotherhood gets very, very different past the diverging point and is pretty much an entirely new show with the same characters. As a bonus, it skims over the stuff that's the same pretty quickly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
"Bonus"

It was arguably a good choice back when the first series was still fresh on people's minds, to get to the new content faster, but a direct consequence is that if you don't watch the first series for those earlier bits, a lot of the weight of certain earlier events and character beats is diluted and robbed from the viewer. This is especially notable the further out we get from the shows airing, in that the definitive anime viewing experience is watching half of the first series, then Brotherhood, but even that has it's own issues with incongruous elements between the two shows.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Julias posted:

"Bonus"

It was arguably a good choice back when the first series was still fresh on people's minds, to get to the new content faster, but a direct consequence is that if you don't watch the first series for those earlier bits, a lot of the weight of certain earlier events and character beats is diluted and robbed from the viewer. This is especially notable the further out we get from the shows airing, in that the definitive anime viewing experience is watching half of the first series, then Brotherhood, but even that has it's own issues with incongruous elements between the two shows.

Eh, I feel like if you watched the first series, Brotherhood gives enough to refresh your memory. I mean, the two shows came out like 5 years apart to begin with, so it's not like the original it was ever really super fresh to people to begin with. Best way to watch it is probably just the way ot aired, first series, wait a while until you feel like watching more, then Brotherhood.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best answer as always is to read the manga, if that is at all up for consideration.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 10, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do read manga sometimes too, I’m reading the dark continent arc of Hunter x Hunter right now since I really doubt the anime’s gonna be updated any time soon, and I was reading One Piece up until the Big Mom arc since I got really burned out by the glacial pace of the anime pretty soon after the time skip. I’ll look into it and see if it grabs me

There was a Korean webcomic called like Tower of God or something that I was reallly into for a while but I remember getting a little confused by what the hell was happening in it after a while. Is that still going on or worth keeping up with?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tower of God is still going, still pretty darn good, and has an active thread. There was a year or two where I was kind of down on it and it felt like it was spinning its wheels but it's been pretty entertaining for a while. I look forward to each week's chapters these days more than say anything in Shonen Jump.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnoHito posted:

Eh, I feel like if you watched the first series, Brotherhood gives enough to refresh your memory. I mean, the two shows came out like 5 years apart to begin with, so it's not like the original it was ever really super fresh to people to begin with. Best way to watch it is probably just the way ot aired, first series, wait a while until you feel like watching more, then Brotherhood.

Brotherhood does have one very minor failing in that it skips over a small manga arc that the first show adapted which introduces a fairly-regular secondary character in the mid/late parts of the show. He just kinda pops into existence complaining about those damned Elric Brothers not letting him get away with his Scooby Plans in his past.

Really you can get the best of both worlds by watching the original series up to about episode 12-13 when it wraps up the Elric's childhood flashbacks and move on to Brotherhood.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Holy gently caress Inuyashiki Last Hero is ridiculously good. Simultaneously one of the most heart warming and violently disturbing things I’ve ever seen.

I love the level of line detail in the art and animation - like Otomo or Juan Jose Ryp - so many animes have this cheap washed-out look to them and Inuyashiki is actually an improvement on expensive time-consuming hand-drawn animation, not a substitute. I regret waiting so long to watch this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I loved Inuyashiki. Being totally tone deaf, I recommended it to a troupe of dancers I was working with who loved Hero Academia and they were horrified by it. Some of them thought it was a new version of Inuyasha apparently and weren't prepared for crushing existential crises and graphic baby murder

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Brotherhood does have one very minor failing in that it skips over a small manga arc that the first show adapted which introduces a fairly-regular secondary character in the mid/late parts of the show. He just kinda pops into existence complaining about those damned Elric Brothers not letting him get away with his Scooby Plans in his past.

Really you can get the best of both worlds by watching the original series up to about episode 12-13 when it wraps up the Elric's childhood flashbacks and move on to Brotherhood.

Sure, but you'd have to ignore certain homonculus characterizations and a few character deaths in the original if you go that route. Like I'm pretty sure they killed off that secondary character in the original anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are either of the fullmetal alchemist movies worth watching?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

conqueror of shambala is basicalyl the actual ending of the 2003 anime, so if you watched the 2003 anime you might as well watch it.

sacred star of milos is about as generic a shonen movie as you can get. the characters go to a new place, meet a new girl, beat up some new villains, mustang is shoehorned into the plot despite having no real reason to be there because he's popular. it's got gorgeous animation and some good action setpieces, but everything about the writing is pretty forgettable. watch it if you just want to see more alchemy fights.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
conqueror of shamballa is the most beautifully animated anime movie that I want to forget exists.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

no

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't seen but Conqueror takes the story a more interesting direction than the manga did based in what I know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have seen it and "interesting premise" and "excellent execution" are very, very different things

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It’s a movie I watched and enjoyed

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shamballa's worth it for the animation and the Roma. And, given the original series end functions fine as a nonending, having the movie as a what if and the actual ending in brotherhood makes it just a fun novelty (that has several major problems stopping it from Being Good). It's entertaining though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for anime that fall into the "Came for the fan service, stayed for the story" category. If it actually exists.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for anime that fall into the "Came for the fan service, stayed for the story" category. If it actually exists.

Neon Genesis Evangelion :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Punch Line, maybe? It frontloads the ecchi stuff, but I dunno if anyone really enjoys those parts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Rascal does not dream of bunnygirl sempai.

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Danmachi maybe?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Keijo!!!!!!!!, pretty much anything by Sunrise I guess.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I watched my first anime show over the past few months, Hunter X Hunter, and I have to say it was the best drat thing I have ever seen and I want to watch more anime similar to it. Actually it’s my second anime because as a little kid I came across a show called Ronin Warriors on tv and got really into it. Anyways, what are some other anime as excellent as Hunter X Hunter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I watched my first anime show over the past few months, Hunter X Hunter, and I have to say it was the best drat thing I have ever seen and I want to watch more anime similar to it.

Yu Yu Hakusho by the same author might appeal to you.

after that maybe look into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Ushio & Tora, or Kaiji (depending on exactly what you liked about HxH)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I watched my first anime show over the past few months, Hunter X Hunter, and I have to say it was the best drat thing I have ever seen and I want to watch more anime similar to it. Actually it’s my second anime because as a little kid I came across a show called Ronin Warriors on tv and got really into it. Anyways, what are some other anime as excellent as Hunter X Hunter
From the same author, Yu Yu Hakusho. Tiger and Bunny is also pretty fantastic. Psycho Pass is not necessarily similar to H x H in vibe, but some of its moments kinda brought to mind the grimmer stuff in H x H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood