Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Number 2 looks vaguely blueberry-ish, so I suggest we keep that one. Other than that, I don't trust my own botanical knowledge enough to identify the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Those pictures of berries have triggered an ancient font of grade school knowledge within me. Throw away everything except 4 .

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Great thread, joining late and my gut says keep 2 and 3, throw away 1 and 4.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

IllegallySober posted:

Great thread, joining late and my gut says keep 2 and 3, throw away 1 and 4.

Keep them all, God would not hurt His children

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
As I didn't vote formally before, Throw them all away. We have plenty of food and if we need more we can hunt and kill some meat. Berries and leaves are for animals, not people. (Cornbread's still good though.)

(Reasoning inspired by The Dinner of Cathcart Zen.)

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Keep 4 and toss the rest. It's the only one that doesn't look scary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In case these votes seem to come quickly, it's because the game actually doesn't let you save on this screen! I need to keep the game running as you vote and tab back in when you're done, which locks my computer into 640x480 resolution. I was fortunately able to leave it running while dropping off some posters for my show.

Our current vote:

Keep 1: 1
Keep 2: 3
Keep 3: 2
Keep 4: 5

Throw away 1: 2
Throw away 2: 3
Throw away 3: 4
Throw away 4: 3

Balancing the keeps vs. the throw aways, we will keep 2 and 4 and throw away 1 and 3.

Blue-bead Clintonia, or blue-bead lily, is a perennial plant that produces blue berries. They're not poisonous but they taste quite foul. Fortunately for us, "foul-tasting" is just as good as "awesome-tasting" when it comes to edibility. Hopefully we can use some of our sugar ration on them...

Currants are a small, seedless wild grape cultivar commonly dried to make raisins. They have a sweet and intensely grapey flavor, making them popular for pastries.

Don't forget to vote for how to cross the river!

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 14, 2019

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Pretty sure 4 looks like one of the ones that is edible for birds and poisonous to people. As for the others, I don't know. 2 isn't fat or shiny enough and the plant doesn't look like nightshade.
1 Keep
2 Keep
3 Keep
4 Chuck

Edit
Whoops, beaten.
And hungry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The really fun part of this minigame is that there are some plants that are really obviously edible (like sunflowers), but there are also plants that look extremely similar to poisonous ones. In the actual game you can immediately look up any plant to be told its properties so there's really no point in guessing, but when you have to rely on just your own knowledge and intuition it becomes surprisingly easy to accidentally poison yourself.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Can't wait until we think hemlock is queen anne lace

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I could've sworn those currants were winterberries. Yikes, I would've been crazy dead on the trail.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Regarding the river crossing, it’s time to try the always-reliable caulk and float. :twisted:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh yeah, Caulk and float.

Yeah, I would be toast. I thought the currants were holly or fire thorn.
The only one I really remember is deadly nightshade, which has these shiny tasty looking berries, that are full of atropine. That might come in handy if the Glanton gang douses our ferry with Sarin?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
We floundered in shallower water, so caulk and float. What's the worst that can happen? :derp:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Looks a tad deep for fording across, so Caulk and Float. Hopefully with less loss of coffee then before...

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Real pioneers ford. Every. Single. Time.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

UED Special Ops posted:

Looks a tad deep for fording across, so Caulk and Float. Hopefully with less loss of coffee then before...

Your arguments sway me and my gimmick posting. Caulk and Float.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
You need some caulk in that there wagon son!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Amazingly, we cross the river on the first try!

While it's possible to take the wrong trail here, it seems a bit obvious which way we're going.

Oh poo poo! We have our first disease!

What do we do?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

While it's possible to take the wrong trail here, it seems a bit obvious which way we're going.

So many times I've accidentally gone the wrong way there when I wasn't paying attention.

You should *get advice* about cholera, you haven't been showing off the silly costumes enough. Bonus points if you record some of their voice acting.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If Seinfeld taught me anything, it's the healing power of Junior Mints. Administer peppermint.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some nice Peppermint should deal with that nasty Cholera, surely.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Question: Just how much laudanum do we have? I'm tempted to use it to solve every problem, but I don't want to run out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vavrek posted:

Question: Just how much laudanum do we have? I'm tempted to use it to solve every problem, but I don't want to run out.

One 4 oz. bottle.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m willing to try peppermint as our first attempt at a cure.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

One 4 oz. bottle.

:mad:

Try peppermint. Cholera's caused by bad odors, right? Maybe we can override them.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

One 4 oz. bottle.

This is something that's always bugged me: every unit of medicine is always used a bottle at a time. Laudanum dosage is measured in drops, a 4 oz bottle would probably kill you. Similarly using an entire pint of alcohol to disinfect wounds.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ask for advice.

I asked this before but it might have been missed. What does the "See who else is here" option do?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Apart from taking a stupid route, the Donner party was also super unlucky and were trying to cross in historically snowy year.

This is the statue in Donner State park. The base of it is the snow depth that year.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Well, cholera is an intestinal disease and mint is good for the tum-tum, so I say peppermint that poo poo. Science!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Continue as usual you lazy sods. Stop trying to weasel out of it. :argh:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cholera causes massive diarrhea dia = 'though', rhea = 'flow' and opiates cause constipation. Therefore, we should guzzle laudinum to balance out the cholera.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With peppermint administered, we continue on. It'll take a while before we know whether it's done anything to work.

A thunderstorm slows us down slightly, but we continue on.

The Narrows is a section of the trail that passes through a narrow valley in the flood plains. And here's where we start to see the first problems with the Montgomery kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crtvstt6IRs

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Well SAINTS ALIVE.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought you were not supposed to suck out the venom, or is that the bit that's a misconception?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Not one of those kids is making GBS threads uncontrollably, 3/10

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Poil posted:

I thought you were not supposed to suck out the venom, or is that the bit that's a misconception?

It doesn't really do anything to prevent the spread of the venom is the main thing. Neither does the tourniquet, coincidentally. Once you're bitten, it's in and your options are either antivenin or ride it out/die.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The solution to cholera is quite simple, but wasn't on our list. Which is historically accurate, so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, all Jed accomplished was sucking on a kid's leg

https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20020802/dont-suck-snakebite#1

quote:

Snakebites are most common in the spring and summer, when people are outside camping or hiking in the snake's natural habitat. But researchers say most bites are a result of a deliberate attempt to handle or disturb the snake. Alcohol intoxication also plays a role in many of these cases.

Jimmy found Jed's adult drinks

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 14, 2019