Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AV also requires everyone to have some rough idea what they're doing. It's probably most tank-dependent overall because of that first room, but there's a lot of AOEs and other damage to avoid. If DPS doesn't get their fruits on the bosses you can't heal through that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So I've heard Black Mage and Red Mage are awkward to gear together due to wanting different materia despite sharing gear, which is relevant to me now since I think I'm going to level BLM next and RDM's my main now. Can someone who's played both lemme know what the usual solution to that is? Is there a setup that's at least pretty good for both, or is the expectation that you'd need 2 full sets of caster gear? Because I don't think I'd want to deal with that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Automated Posting posted:

So I've heard Black Mage and Red Mage are awkward to gear together due to wanting different materia despite sharing gear, which is relevant to me now since I think I'm going to level BLM next and RDM's my main now. Can someone who's played both lemme know what the usual solution to that is? Is there a setup that's at least pretty good for both, or is the expectation that you'd need 2 full sets of caster gear? Because I don't think I'd want to deal with that.

I usually just load up caster gear with crit for all three jobs but I don't do savage content. :shrug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i slotted up my tank gear with all crit/direct hit materia for DRK

i run savage content as WAR exponentially more than DRK

WAR gains little to no benefit from crit/direct hit

you'll be fine slotting in Whatever™

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

That doesn't so much matter unless you're trying to get BiS. Spell Speed doesn't help RDM as much as BLM, but crit or whatever affect both well. If you're worried about it, don't get speed and get the direct stats.

Kaubocks posted:

WAR gains little to no benefit from crit/direct hit

WAR gets mad benefit from crit because it increases their damage when they crit, aka, every Fel Cleave during Inner Release. You're right about direct hit though.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Okay, it's good to know there's not actually anything to worry about then, thanks all.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

WAR gets mad benefit from crit because it increases their damage when they crit, aka, every Fel Cleave during Inner Release. You're right about direct hit though.

oh does it? nice. i thought it just affected chance to crit. shows what i know lol

still, just doubled checked out of curiosity and i’ve got like 7 DH slotted and 2 crit so yea definitely not helping my war too much on the materia front

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When in doubt, slot crit and DH. Even if it is less than optimal for your job you'll still do just fine in 99% of content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I only use materia for the class I do ex/savage content with tbh and it works just fine. Way too much busywork for poo poo I use maybe once per month.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Materia is for selling on the marketboard to buy poo poo dropped in Eureka without ever having to go there.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Really unless you're going for world firsts (not likely with a BLM anyway but w/e) I doubt you'll need to worry that specifically for materia. I run crit on my WAR and my other two tanks just have to deal with that. Don't really see much difference between my DRK/PLD compared to the guys I play with, then again we don't parse or anything like that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

oh does it? nice. i thought it just affected chance to crit. shows what i know lol

still, just doubled checked out of curiosity and i’ve got like 7 DH slotted and 2 crit so yea definitely not helping my war too much on the materia front

DH works like you thought crit does, hence warriors slotting 0 DH
generally you run:
SS to hit the comphy
CRit if you can
Det if you can't

But materia itself is 2% overall of damage I think?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Just eyeballing it, Direct Hit loses about a third of its value because of Inner Release, which puts it a little bit below tenacity.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also is it just me or does AST healing sub 50 feel really weak compared to WHM and SCH? Or maybe I'm missing something. Pissvale was the worst as AST whereas I kind of actually liked it as the other healers.

they're actually quite strong, just make sure you're using Essential Dignity whenever it's available and the tank is low, it's a lot of healing on a lowish cooldown that you should be taking advantage of. AV is just rough though, some of the multi-pulls are extremely damaging and if you have a leveling tank especially a DRK who doesn't get free lvl 45 blues their gear probably won't be up to snuff

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Archyduchess posted:

Third time was the charm! If you're on the fence about pushing through Eureka, or dipped out immediately after finishing your relic, I really recommend giving BA a shot. It's fun, challenging without being brutal, not quite like anything else in the game, and on Primal at least the Discord community around it is extremely helpful and friendly.

Can I get a link to that Primal discord server? I’m about to start BA this week and it would be very helpful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hell, for both carbuncle mounts? :same:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Just level Scholar, it has a Summoner job skip built in!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Note Block posted:

Can I get a link to that Primal discord server? I’m about to start BA this week and it would be very helpful.

Sure, just PM'd you. There's usually at least one fresh learning run every day or so.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
are like, squadron missions busted? because i have yet to succeed a single 'our squadron is equal to the task!' mission. and i've done like 20 at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adus posted:

are like, squadron missions busted? because i have yet to succeed a single 'our squadron is equal to the task!' mission. and i've done like 20 at this point.
Is it a rank up mission? Those you can only win on three checks

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ugh, forgot it was maintenance tonight. UGH

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it a rank up mission? Those you can only win on three checks

no

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Things to do during maintenance:

I'm thinking of making it a necromancy mastermind, so they can summon a horde of dead Warriors of Light.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Things to do during maintenance:

i made an attempt

edit: with super jump of course :v:

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 14, 2019

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It only took me 100 frontlines and 101 feast matches, but I finally have all the GARO horses. Now I can turn the title off and never think about it again. The extra push since they announced it was going to end in like six months helped. I probably could have suffered through this two (?) years ago but better late than never. I had legit given up at one point.

I've discovered I really love playing WAR in the Feast and I've had far more success since I got into that role, compared to blundering around as some form of DPS and constantly getting my rear end handed to me. Some of my FC-mates are also getting into it and we've even formed a team.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 14, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Materia is for selling on the marketboard to buy poo poo dropped in Eureka without ever having to go there.

Why do people want level 1 Materia so badly? I sold a level 1 one for 4k when that was a serious amount of money to me and out of curiousity looked at some others and they were cheaper.

Samael posted:

An odin goon! I thought everyone was on Omega! I'm Tae Asakura on there if you want to do runs sometime.

Cool! I'll add you next time I'm on, I'm a bit casual with the game though (I am 32 and my friend started a new character after me and just hit 50)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Why do people want level 1 Materia so badly? I sold a level 1 one for 4k when that was a serious amount of money to me and out of curiousity looked at some others and they were cheaper.

You need a lot of level 1 materia for one of the ARR relic steps and, since people tend to level faster than they need the gear that converts to materia 1s, it can be a bit harder to come by.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Easily the worst step of any epic quest ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Did you forget about animus books or what

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Did you forget about animus books or what

K.A. Applegate wrote those, right?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Adus posted:

My experience is never go unless you meet all the requirements and the mission is bound to succeed. I don't think I've ever managed to succeed on anything else.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
Patch is up for download so people are naturally data-mining it. There looks to be some kind of event currency with some rather random seeming rewards.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I am all about being able to buy stuff like the ARR Beast Tribe mounts with some event currency instead of actually doing ARR Beast Tribes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

My experience is never go unless you meet all the requirements and the mission is bound to succeed. I don't think I've ever managed to succeed on anything else.

That's true for the rank-up missions, where missing even a single point is a 100% fail chance. But the regular missions can totally work with lower stats, I don't think it's even possible to max out the highest ones.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Apparently a Gazelleskin with a guaranteed portal.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if i can actually feasibly get a pegasus colt without going to some weird dead proto-eureka zone i will be very happy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

mrfishstick posted:

Patch is up for download so people are naturally data-mining it. There looks to be some kind of event currency with some rather random seeming rewards.

"rose lanner whistle" I'm going to be able to listen to HIIIIIGH ON HIIIIIIIIIGH I STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND every time I mount up without needing to grind Ravana? Hell yes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Tidus and Yuna outfits are on the Mogstation, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tamba posted:

That's true for the rank-up missions, where missing even a single point is a 100% fail chance. But the regular missions can totally work with lower stats, I don't think it's even possible to max out the highest ones.

I haven't done squadrons in a long time, so nothing above level 50, but up until that point you could always do so with the right training. I used this website to calculate how much of what training I needed.