Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Adiabatic posted:

So I had a 4.0 going into this final semester.

The class I put work into for the first half, but pulled back to bare minimum after he didn't grade anything? A.

The class I feel like I understood better than any class I've taken so far, and enjoyed better as well, and worked my rear end off in? B.

I emailed him and turns out I got a 65 on the final. A SIXTY FIVE. On the final I walked out of with a poo poo eating grin. This is the same guy that randomly gave me a 55 on a homework I felt I deserved a 90 on, and through sheer brute force polite annoyance we settled on a 75. Looks like we're doing the same with the final exam.

I'm sorry if this sounds like humble bragging, but I've been maintaining a 4.0 for 5 years and apparently I hosed it up on the very LAST thing I had to do to lock it in. I feel like I completely understood the exam material, and I studied my rear end off for it, so I have no idea where this 65 came from. I'm just completely irked by the entire thing.

That's how I felt taking all of the nursing courses except Biochem, Microbio, and A&P. I'd walk away from tests thinking I'd crushed it, only to find out I'd barely gotten a D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Pickle chat? I could eat an entire jar of pickles. I would eat nothing but pickles if the salt intake wouldn't kill me. Baby dills are my jam oh YEAH.

I tried making salt brine pickles recently but I must not have started with the right kind of cucumber or something because they just became slightly crunchier at best, not pickle-y cucumbers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Reading about GPA:s etc makes me incredibly happy that we only have pass or fail in Swedish med school. I think the underlying reason for this was to encourage working together and dampen the competitivness that usually exists in high end education (like the law school stories I hear where people sabotage by removing relevant chapters from library books). It helps, but people still do underhanded poo poo like not sharing previous exams, general information that is passed down from students futher ahead or activily trying to make people learn wrong stuff.

During these 5½ years I've also learnt that your exam % says absolutely nothing about how good of a doctor you are going to be, and the things that make you a good doctor aren't on any exam.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I tried making salt brine pickles recently but I must not have started with the right kind of cucumber or something because they just became slightly crunchier at best, not pickle-y cucumbers.
Like the natural fermentation kind? We tried that once before, they were good but yeah more cucumber than a pickle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Like the natural fermentation kind? We tried that once before, they were good but yeah more cucumber than a pickle.

Yeah, basically. I think I might try a different technique. Vinegar?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

The class I put work into for the first half, but pulled back to bare minimum after he didn't grade anything? A.

The class I feel like I understood better than any class I've taken so far, and enjoyed better as well, and worked my rear end off in? B.

I emailed him and turns out I got a 65 on the final. A SIXTY FIVE. On the final I walked out of with a poo poo eating grin. This is the same guy that randomly gave me a 55 on a homework I felt I deserved a 90 on, and through sheer brute force polite annoyance we settled on a 75. Looks like we're doing the same with the final exam.

I'm sorry if this sounds like humble bragging, but I've been maintaining a 4.0 for 5 years and apparently I hosed it up on the very LAST thing I had to do to lock it in. I feel like I completely understood the exam material, and I studied my rear end off for it, so I have no idea where this 65 came from. I'm just completely irked by the entire thing.

Keep in mind that professors just got done, so they want to put school as far behind them as they can for the Summer. What I'm saying is... make an appointment with him to go over the test and the grading. Take up his time. Brute force polite annoyances are the worst and I end up just giving a grade spiff to keep the issues down. If that doesn't work, then there's the department head.

I've got one kid that I'm waiting to hear back from this semester. He could have done well, but he half-assed assignments and skipped a couple WEEKS in the middle of the Semester. He has been checking his grades multiple times per day for the last week (yes, we can see your online activity with the school's system), and the final meeting was over a week ago. I'm sure he's trying to find an angle, but he's got no chance of a grade change. I made sure of that. :coal:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question to ask:

I need to email some personal ID to a bank. I want to encrypt/password protect it somehow. I see that Windows doesn't have built in password protection for zip or anything. Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe a legit small file hosting site that i can password protect for download? I haven't had to do something like this in years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as far as I can tell like 95% of american adults are sleep deprived

i feel it because every time i get on a plane for work (weekly) and i'm not doing anything around taxi and takeoff, i fall asleep
No arguments here. I envy you though, I cannot sleep in a plane or anything short of a bed. And even then, I can't even sleep in a god drat lay flay on a plane. I think there is something wrong with me.

Adiabatic posted:

That was literally me with a university course last year. Literally went into the final with something like a 97% average and ended up with a 65 or 70 on the final. And the final had such bizarre off the wall questions. I asked the prof afterwards "WTF was it with some of those questions?" and he just shrugged, thought nothing was wrong with them. I mean, the only reason I passed is because I have a personal interest in the subject and knew many of the answers because of that, literally not because of the course content. I pity people that took the course because it was required or didn't have a background/personal interest in the subject.

Cage posted:

Pickle chat? I could eat an entire jar of pickles. I would eat nothing but pickles if the salt intake wouldn't kill me. Baby dills are my jam oh YEAH.

Sent this to a polish friend yesterday

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 14, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ilkhan posted:

My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Let movies be dumb sometimes in the pursuit of entertainment. The current highest grossing movie ever is one where a purple dude clicked his fingers after finding some sparkly stones and like half the population of universe disappeared... If you're looking for realism maybe just watch documentaries?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Keep in mind that professors just got done, so they want to put school as far behind them as they can for the Summer. What I'm saying is... make an appointment with him to go over the test and the grading. Take up his time. Brute force polite annoyances are the worst and I end up just giving a grade spiff to keep the issues down. If that doesn't work, then there's the department head.

I've got one kid that I'm waiting to hear back from this semester. He could have done well, but he half-assed assignments and skipped a couple WEEKS in the middle of the Semester. He has been checking his grades multiple times per day for the last week (yes, we can see your online activity with the school's system), and the final meeting was over a week ago. I'm sure he's trying to find an angle, but he's got no chance of a grade change. I made sure of that. :coal:

Thanks for the ammo! From the sound of his responses you're 100% on point...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

No arguments here. I envy you though, I cannot sleep in a plane or anything short of a bed. And even then, I can't even sleep in a god drat lay flay on a plane. I think there is something wrong with me.

I have colleagues who are the same, and it must be hell for them.

Adiabatic posted:

I understand the frustration, but would take a long hard think about how bad you want closure on your grade, because I don't think it's going to change. Save yourself some effort. It sounds like you are all done with your degree (congrats!), and I don't think anyone on earth cares if you got a 4.0 or a 3.9 for practical reasons. Just my two cents.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Yup, just keep that course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I understand the frustration, but would take a long hard think about how bad you want closure on your grade, because I don't think it's going to change. Save yourself some effort. It sounds like you are all done with your degree (congrats!), and I don't think anyone on earth cares if you got a 4.0 or a 3.9 for practical reasons. Just my two cents.

The flip side is that he'll never have any interactions with this prof again, so it's not a bridge that matters if burned. It also doesn't hurt or help the prof one bit to not revise the grade. I never got close to a 4.0, but I can understand vesting some psychic value in it. Ultimately, if the grade is changed, success. If not, it's not taking a lot of effort, just some... encouragement.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

Question to ask:

I need to email some personal ID to a bank. I want to encrypt/password protect it somehow. I see that Windows doesn't have built in password protection for zip or anything. Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe a legit small file hosting site that i can password protect for download? I haven't had to do something like this in years.

I found and am using Tutanota because I don't want to be tracked or have my emails available to anyone who isn't supposed to have them. Not that I really have anything that needs encryption, but out of principle. You can choose to encrypt (receiver needs password to open it) or not (mail is open, but Tutanota can't give the mail to governments etc because they don't save it in a way that can be accessed.). Free to use as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for that, but reading up on that actually gave me an idea. I think I will just paste the image in to a word doc and password protect the file via Word. I think that will accomplish what I need.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slidebite posted:

Thanks for that, but reading up on that actually gave me an idea. I think I will just paste the image in to a word doc and password protect the file via Word. I think that will accomplish what I need.

If you're talking about winzip it does have file encryption for .zip extensions.

Right click whatever file -> WinZip -> Add to Zip file -> check the "Encrypt added files" box and click Add. It'll prompt you for a password.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was thinking that sort of thing, but I don't think it's standard in windows nor do I know what the receiver has for software.

I just did password protection internally in the .doc file.

Appreciate it though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Let movies be dumb sometimes in the pursuit of entertainment. The current highest grossing movie ever is one where a purple dude clicked his fingers after finding some sparkly stones and like half the population of universe disappeared... If you're looking for realism maybe just watch documentaries?
It's fairly realistic, within normal boundaries, otherwise. But as someone who routinely shoots suppressed that scene is utterly stupid. Marvel is fantasy from the start. Party of it is I just hate how Hollywood portrays suppressors in general.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
fun fact: .docx files are just an archive containing an xml file.
So you can actually remove the password protection from a .docx file by unzipping the .docx with 7zip and removing the attributes from the <w:documentProtection /> tag then rezipping the file.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I was thinking that sort of thing, but I don't think it's standard in windows nor do I know what the receiver has for software.

I just did password protection internally in the .doc file.

Appreciate it though.

There's a password/encryption component to the ZIP standard but it's extremely weak, so there are competing standards from third-party tools. The table of contents (filenames listing) is almost never encrypted.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So you can actually remove the password protection from a .docx file by unzipping the .docx with 7zip and removing the attributes from the <w:documentProtection /> tag then rezipping the file.

Oh my god that's amazing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless you choose Encrypt with Password, in which case it does AES-256-CBC (on 2016; AES-128-CBC on 2010/2013) over the whole document with PBKDF2 key derivation (I think 100k rounds).

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Last night I had one last weird margarita Gose thing left, and poured it into a pint glass.

And then I remembered I had some tequila.

Delicious.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Did anyone else listen to the Terry Gross/Howard Stern interview today? It was so interesting if youve listened to Howard Stern at all and anyone that regularly listens to Fresh Air will know why. It was actually so long that there will be a second half tomorrow and I cant wait. I stopped listening to Howard when he went to satellite just out of laziness and now I think that I missed out on a lot because of the changes he went though due to that among other reasons he talks about in the interview. I find the human condition endlessly fascinating and appreciate good interviews and the show was two of the all time greats from opposite sides of the spectrum. Highly recommend it after the whole thing is released to listen to as a podcast probably tomorrow sometime after the second half of it airs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I called the city yesterday about my dying driveway punching straight through their drainage culvert. They have already replaced it. What is this voodoo witchcraft.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

Was the test/subject some sort of comp or essay test that can be graded subjectively? Seems it would be difficult to argue, if otherwise.

Adiabatic posted:

If you're talking about winzip it does have file encryption for .zip extensions.

Right click whatever file -> WinZip -> Add to Zip file -> check the "Encrypt added files" box and click Add. It'll prompt you for a password.

Windows has built-in ZIP capability, but not encryption.
Use 7Zip - free/open source, and does do encryption.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

I called the city yesterday about my dying driveway punching straight through their drainage culvert. They have already replaced it. What is this voodoo witchcraft.

Pretty sure I have a portal to the sewer main line in my back yard. I have a spot that keeps... disappearing. A small sinkhole. And the sewer main runs right below it. I know this because I spent $4500 last year replacing the line from my house to said sewer main. Guess I should contact the city about my suspicions? No stink - yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

Did anyone else listen to the Terry Gross/Howard Stern interview today? It was so interesting if youve listened to Howard Stern at all and anyone that regularly listens to Fresh Air will know why. It was actually so long that there will be a second half tomorrow and I cant wait. I stopped listening to Howard when he went to satellite just out of laziness and now I think that I missed out on a lot because of the changes he went though due to that among other reasons he talks about in the interview. I find the human condition endlessly fascinating and appreciate good interviews and the show was two of the all time greats from opposite sides of the spectrum. Highly recommend it after the whole thing is released to listen to as a podcast probably tomorrow sometime after the second half of it airs.

Howard is the best interviewer ever by far. I had satellite for awhile but they kept raising the price so I said gently caress that, the only thing I listened to was howard but it was probably worth it anyway, I miss listening to him.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Question to ask:

For future reference (sounds like you've already taken care of this) check with the bank if they have a secure file transfer system or service. I worked for about three months as a contract computer janitor for an insurance company who also ran a bank, and the bank had a website customers could utilize to securely transfer documents.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Howard is the best interviewer ever by far. I had satellite for awhile but they kept raising the price so I said gently caress that, the only thing I listened to was howard but it was probably worth it anyway, I miss listening to him.

I think Marc Maron (of WTF podcast) is also an amazing interviewer who has publicly gone through a lot of changes over time. He irritates me sometimes but I rarely skip one of his interviews.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

HandlingByJebus posted:

I think Marc Maron (of WTF podcast) is also an amazing interviewer who has publicly gone through a lot of changes over time. He irritates me sometimes but I rarely skip one of his interviews.

He's another I should listen to. The one where he interviewed Terry Gross was amazing and he got her to talk a lot about herself and she's usually pretty reserved about that. The one with Obama was really good too, super funny and interesting.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been listening to podcasts about song deconstruction lately and it's super interesting. One was Lindsey Buckingham going step by step how "Go Your Own Way" was written with Fleetwood mac, and another one with Lars and James how Metallica writes songs....I think it's called song exploder or something like that.

There's also a podcast of the Flaming Lips going through a bunch of their music describing the writing process and all the little happy accidents that happen, it's pretty cool to hear how they DIY'd their way through most of it. If you're a music nerd it's good listening.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I've been listening to podcasts about song deconstruction lately and it's super interesting. One was Lindsey Buckingham going step by step how "Go Your Own Way" was written with Fleetwood mac, and another one with Lars and James how Metallica writes songs....I think it's called song exploder or something like that.

There's also a podcast of the Flaming Lips going through a bunch of their music describing the writing process and all the little happy accidents that happen, it's pretty cool to hear how they DIY'd their way through most of it. If you're a music nerd it's good listening.

Oh man yes I'm a huge music nerd, more than cars even. That's good to know, thanks for the heads up on that. I get to listen to stuff all day at work and I need to hear that one now. Lindsey Buckingham was on Live From Here recently and he played the best version of Big Love I've heard yet so I've been thinking about Fleetwood Mac more than usual, haha.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You should check out the Session with Christian James Hand. He breaks down pop songs and why they work. It's best listened to by headphones because he has access to the master tapes and plays each track individually.

Here's a song you probably didn't think needed a break down:

https://soundcloud.com/theklossessions/smashmouth-all-star

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

STR posted:

:cawg:

I... got nothin on that. Explains why I've been craving pickles (and "pickles") so much more than usual though :v:

I don't think any of my meds tend to cause that (dr claims they don't anyway, but I'm on enough that I rattle if you shake me :corsair:), but I'm on... uh... I think 6 rx meds now? 2 Wilford Brimley meds, 2 for blood pressure, 1 for anxiety, 1 for allergies.

Ha, the med that does it for me is also used for BP suppression, now I'm wondering. It's prescribed at a much lower dosage for that, though, so your testosterone's probably safe.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not chat related- anyone know any Nissan 350/370 experts? Looking for trans help.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Our fearless mod is buddies with the owner of a manual 370Z.

For the manual it's a CD009. What's to know?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't sat in a 370z for like 10 years

lol 2009 vs 2020

double lol, this is the actual text associated with the image on their website.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean I'd drop If It Ain't Broke, but it's a Datsun

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

To their credit, it is still only 30 grand when all the other car brands have cranked prices the gently caress up.

The toyota 86 already starts at $29,990. Next year, the toyota 86 is going to cost more than the 370z.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Has the 370z gotten any heavier over the course of it's life?

The gigantic aftermarket support it's amassed over it's life cycle is also not a bad thing.

Still a Datsun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Has the 370z gotten any heavier over the course of it's life?

The gigantic aftermarket support it's amassed over it's life cycle is also not a bad thing.

Still a Datsun though.

website still says 3333lbs but C&D just tested a 2019 and it has gotten slower.