Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s also why there’s no such thing as a limited engagement with Iran.

Sinking an aircraft carrier would be a 9/11 tier event. There’s no way a republican president wouldn’t launch a full scale invasion at that point

Trump would probably start a war if they sunk a tugboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Trump would probably start a war if they sunk a tugboat.

True, but if we lost a carrier there's a much higher chance the US population would unite behind it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the proof that these people are not just evil but also extremely stupid is them wanting to start a war that'd make iraq look like a cakewalk.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

True, but if we lost a carrier there's a much higher chance the US population would unite behind it.

It would be a tragedy, because Iran would be 100% justified in doing so. There's no question about who here is the aggressor.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1128261521430253568

https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1127747365983571971

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1128329008112861184

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mineaiki posted:

Wasn’t Saddam’s army pretty good by world standards?

Saddam tailored his military to bully other countries around him with the implicit backing of the United States. Iran/Venezuela et. al have been on the business end of the American siege state for a while now and have militaries more or less organized to prolong an American invasion and make it as costly as possible.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I guess you have more faith in people than I do. lovely people will always be lovely if it benefits them or their tribe.

It's not about having faith that people won't be lovely it's about having faith that people will do what's best for themselves when push comes to shove. Unlike elected Republicans SCOTUS Judges don't have to worry about re-election so they don't give a poo poo what's Trump's base wants they're governed by their own ideology, beliefs and self interest.

So do you really for one instant think that the Judges on the Supreme Court who will be around along time after Trump is finished are about to uphold the idea that the president is above the law? Particularly less than 2 years out from when there is most likely going to be a Democratic President? Trump is under water and while it's possible he may win the most likely outcome is he's going to lose also New York and California being Democratic strongholds pretty much puts the idea of any sort of fascist lock down out of the equation.

I mean I could be wrong but any legitimacy the court has left would be squandered on a 5/4 ruling overturning what was a unanimous precedent. Basically on the scale of things to worry about this is pretty far down the list.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

CommieGIR posted:

What commitment for him? He doesn't have to do anything. Its a perfect Trump move, because he won't be held responsible for a war.

That's part of the issue with our military, the Executive is so insulated from the consequences.

Were you uh...not born yet or in a coma for the second W Bush term??

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Iran's submarine force currently consists of three Russian Kilo-class (4,000 ton) diesel-electric submarines (Tareq 901, Noor 902, Yunes 903), one 350-400-ton Nahang and an expanding force of roughly a dozen 150-ton Ghadir-class (Qadir/Khadir) midget submarines.

I recall that the Kilo's are VERY quiet.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/revealed-russian-built-kilo-submarine-kills-american-nuclear-14473

I know just repeating it, but it is worth repeating for those that don't know:

Modern diesel submarines ( well-built ones anyways ) are extremely dangerous and hard to find, even for big boy fleets with robust anti-submarine warfare forces. They're probably the most potent threat you can level at a fleet like the USN, assuming you don't have the budget or ability to just launch lots and lots of missiles.

It's a safe bet that a carrier kill would be a priority for the subs, too, since such a thing would be... spectacular, for a lot of reasons.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Saddam tailored his military to bully other countries around him with the implicit backing of the United States. Iran/Venezuela et. al have been on the business end of the American siege state for a while now and have militaries more or less organized to prolong an American invasion and make it as costly as possible.

It's also worth noting that Saddam's army was pretty worn down in a lot of ways, far from fresh, by the time we invaded. Iran would be the closest we've come to fighting someone on 'equal terms' in a long, long time, and a serious conflict would be an absolute bloodbath.

Anyone that looks at the Iran-Iraq war and decides to pick a fight with a well-rested, well-equipped Iran is a lunatic.

It has been immensely depressing to watch all the diplomatic progress we've made with Iran go up in smoke in such a short period of time. We accomplished meaningful deescalation with politics, relations were rocky, but thawing, things were looking good.

:sigh:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Charlz Guybon posted:

The last time was World War 2

The US/UN fought Chinese soldiers and Soviet fighters in Korea.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also sending carriers into waters that have enemy subs in them is probably the dumbest thing you can do short of nuking your own cities, so of course our fat baby president will send carriers in to show how big and strong he is.

Carriers are great when you’re bombing a country who can’t fight back. They become giant juicy targets the second your enemy can defend itself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Iran isn’t stupid enough to spit in the direction of a carrier, especially since they don’t have to since they can just imply to threaten to close the straits.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel like few people remember the last forty years of saber rattling over the Straits of Hormuz.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Skex posted:

It's not about having faith that people won't be lovely it's about having faith that people will do what's best for themselves when push comes to shove. Unlike elected Republicans SCOTUS Judges don't have to worry about re-election so they don't give a poo poo what's Trump's base wants they're governed by their own ideology, beliefs and self interest.

So do you really for one instant think that the Judges on the Supreme Court who will be around along time after Trump is finished are about to uphold the idea that the president is above the law? Particularly less than 2 years out from when there is most likely going to be a Democratic President? Trump is under water and while it's possible he may win the most likely outcome is he's going to lose also New York and California being Democratic strongholds pretty much puts the idea of any sort of fascist lock down out of the equation.

I mean I could be wrong but any legitimacy the court has left would be squandered on a 5/4 ruling overturning what was a unanimous precedent. Basically on the scale of things to worry about this is pretty far down the list.

You say that like if they rule a Repubican President is above the law, that means they have to rule that a Democratic one is, too.

You're right. They're unelected. Which means they can do absolutely whatever the gently caress they god drat well please without consequence, including holding different Presidents to different standards. And yes, they're governed by their own ideologies. And five of them are Republican, which means 5 SCOTUS Justices are absolute loving shitheads. Remember, the Supreme Court has already installed a President of their choice in our lifetimes. Don't think they won't protect another one.

I'm not saying they WILL rule this way. I'm just saying we've seen enough in the last 2 1/2 years that I think it's irresponsible to say they absolutely WON'T.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like few people remember the last forty years of saber rattling over the Straits of Hormuz.

Yeah a lot of this poo poo is hardly new.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I am always a little surprised when people state/think that the Iraq war(s) was some sort of disaster, from a lot of perspectives (oil industry, military industry, halliburton, etc.) it really wasn’t a disaster, it was the greatest success they’ve ever had. Republicans didn’t even get any significant backlash or anything. A carrier is sunk? That just means taking more of people’s tax dollars and giving it to Northrop-Grumman, some of which obviously gets kicked back to republican political campaigns. I think the only thing missing from an Iran war, is trump starting a ridiculously terrible uniform/flag making company or something. Maybe a Trump(tm) Steak-based MRAs, or Trump Coffins.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

You say that like if they rule a Repubican President is above the law, that means they have to rule that a Democratic one is, too.

You're right. They're unelected. Which means they can do absolutely whatever the gently caress they god drat well please without consequence, including holding different Presidents to different standards. And yes, they're governed by their own ideologies. And five of them are Republican, which means 5 SCOTUS Justices are absolute loving shitheads.

I'm not saying they WILL rule this way. I'm just saying we've seen enough in the last 2 1/2 years that I think it's irresponsible to say they absolutely WON'T.

Yeah that's not going to happen, if it does then it's full on revolution because that sort of ruling would be rightfully understood to be nakedly partisan. They are Conservative judges, which mean that they are conservative and they aren't going to overturn the Republic in the service of the orange poo poo stain. Particularly given that they were put in place for the long term.

There are still 4 liberal judges who are going to vote against any nonsense of that sort, that means it only takes one conservative judge to break ranks to torpedo Trump's end run around the Constitution. And most likely they'll take the easy way out assuming that the lower courts find in keeping with past precedent which they will the the SCOTUS will just deny cert and confirm US v Nixon as law.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It would be insane for Iran to eat poo poo from the allied powers because Houthis have zero discipline. Iran is not a fun place but they do not deserve annihilation.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is pretty open and shut, its literally congresses job to act as a check and launch investigations when neccessary and there is a 100 years of case law precident to back it up.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

VideoGameVet posted:

Iran's submarine force currently consists of three Russian Kilo-class (4,000 ton) diesel-electric submarines (Tareq 901, Noor 902, Yunes 903), one 350-400-ton Nahang and an expanding force of roughly a dozen 150-ton Ghadir-class (Qadir/Khadir) midget submarines.

I recall that the Kilo's are VERY quiet.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/revealed-russian-built-kilo-submarine-kills-american-nuclear-14473

It definitely is something the Navy has been aware of for a while now. To wit:

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 14, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Iran wouldn't even be an issue if we had left Saddam alone.

For your amusement, REAL GENIUSES OF INTERNATIONAL POLICY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmhf_wrcrM

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1128112500036255746

https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1128341985197211650

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hopefully, like north Korea and Venezuela, this will fall through as soon as someone tell trump isn't not an easy and immediate win,

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

It definitely is something the Navy has been aware of for a while now. To wit:

Now I’m picturing an Iranian dude ripping rear end in the back of the sub and pretending to be a whale.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Iran isn’t stupid enough to spit in the direction of a carrier, especially since they don’t have to since they can just imply to threaten to close the straits.

If they're being invaded in a conventional ground war, there's really no reason not to and every reason to try. :shrug:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I am always a little surprised when people state/think that the Iraq war(s) was some sort of disaster, from a lot of perspectives (oil industry, military industry, halliburton, etc.) it really wasn’t a disaster, it was the greatest success they’ve ever had. Republicans didn’t even get any significant backlash or anything. A carrier is sunk? That just means taking more of people’s tax dollars and giving it to Northrop-Grumman, some of which obviously gets kicked back to republican political campaigns. I think the only thing missing from an Iran war, is trump starting a ridiculously terrible uniform/flag making company or something. Maybe a Trump(tm) Steak-based MRAs, or Trump Coffins.

You are grossly underestimating the extent to which the carrier is a symbol of a lot of things, and the sheer amount cost- not just in material and time, but human lives- that would come out of losing such a ship. Images of a flaming carrier slipping below the surface of the sea would have tremendous impact at home and abroad, and would really hammer home the cost of a protracted war with Iran in a heartbeat.

It would dominate the news cycle for a long, long time. It would be a national tragedy.

VideoGameVet posted:

Iran wouldn't even be an issue if we had left Saddam alone.

For your amusement, REAL GENIUSES OF INTERNATIONAL POLICY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmhf_wrcrM

I recently read Legacy of Ashes ( and a few other books ) and it is absolutely startling the degree to which we've created so many of our own problems for no real gains for the dumbest reasons, over and over and over.

I thought I knew that before reading it, but having actually digested more of the history: :stonk:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

You're right. They're unelected. Which means they can do absolutely whatever the gently caress they god drat well please without consequence, including holding different Presidents to different standards. And yes, they're governed by their own ideologies. And five of them are Republican, which means 5 SCOTUS Justices are absolute loving shitheads. Remember, the Supreme Court has already installed a President of their choice in our lifetimes. Don't think they won't protect another one.

If republicans have +10 to ignore law then why does the supreme court even matter? If the supreme court was 400 bernie sanders and ruled trump stinks why would they have to follow that if they already decided they don't have to follow laws? Is there something special where the supreme court is the one thing they have to follow?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:decorum:

https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1128018317552209920

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If republicans have +10 to ignore law then why does the supreme court even matter? If the supreme court was 400 bernie sanders and ruled trump stinks why would they have to follow that if they already decided they don't have to follow laws? Is there something special where the supreme court is the one thing they have to follow?

If the ruling was winning to them then “the Supreme Court has spoken” and if not then the Supreme Court are partisan hacks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Putin also wouldn’t want an Iran war so he’ll get on the phone with Trump and slyly encourage him about how smart he’d be to back down just like with Venezuela.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

How brave of the Democrats to give up like a bunch of loving losers, hope they do this nationally as well and then Trump's really in for it!!!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:manning:

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1128362911129325574

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the ruling was winning to them then “the Supreme Court has spoken” and if not then the Supreme Court are partisan hacks.

but like, if they have such incredible power why even care about the supreme court? If the supreme court voted against them what does that matter any more than it voting for them if they just are all powerful anyway?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

lol if this all ends with Trump knowing his dick measuring with China will gently caress the economy up so he wants to be a ~war time president~

Also I know I literally already made this joke but imagine the history books covering this if poo poo does pop off.

"So ok we spent like 18 years in Iraq and Afghanistan because Saudi Arabians did a terrorism. We did nothing good, we made everything worse for everyone globally. All while this was going on we were being Saudi Arabia's best friend and constantly saber rattling against Iran for some reason. Now all those years later this super obvious false flag happened with way way way less stakes than the real terrorist attack that started this and our good friends Saudi Arabia said 'this was Iran this time' so we started a fresh war."
Well that kind of depends on who does the writing.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

eke out posted:

BERNIE: got a war powers resolution passed for the first time in history to try to defund our support for the war in yemen
POSTERS: https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en
As I'm constantly being reminded on Twitter: Bernie Sanders Is Not A Democrat.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
The ability to select any screen cap you want, and you choose the last thing a stripper sees before ending up in a shallow grave in the Mojave Desert

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

but like, if they have such incredible power why even care about the supreme court? If the supreme court voted against them what does that matter any more than it voting for them if they just are all powerful anyway?

Honestly, this is a major concern at the moment. It's not impossible that Trump decides to go full Jackson and ignore a supreme court ruling that he doesn't like. And then we'll be up to about our fiftieth constitutional crisis because of him. Trump refusing to obey the court when the court rules that he's not a dictator is way more likely than the court ruling that he is a dictator and everything he does is fine.

Of course, in this case it's a private entity that he's trying to force to not comply with a subpoena so they're not going to just go along with this. When it's the justice department or treasury refusing to follow court orders, things get worse.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

There's something deeply poetic about exchanging guns and vaccines for a school funding tax.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, this is a major concern at the moment. It's not impossible that Trump decides to go full Jackson and ignore a supreme court ruling that he doesn't like. And then we'll be up to about our fiftieth constitutional crisis because of him. Trump refusing to obey the court when the court rules that he's not a dictator is way more likely than the court ruling that he is a dictator and everything he does is fine.

Of course, in this case it's a private entity that he's trying to force to not comply with a subpoena so they're not going to just go along with this. When it's the justice department or treasury refusing to follow court orders, things get worse.

There are plenty of career people in those agencies who will take a SCOTUS ruling as license to ignore Trump's edicts. Because if he fires them for complying with a judicial instruction it's going to be an open and shut wrongful termination suit.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Putin also wouldn’t want an Iran war so he’ll get on the phone with Trump and slyly encourage him about how smart he’d be to back down just like with Venezuela.

That's the one thing we have going for us. Aren't Russia and Iran pretty thick as thieves? I mean the USSR was their superpower patron in the 80s because they hated us, correct? And their nuclear tech is sourced from Russian scientists, etc?

Trump being Putin's bitch may actually help prevent Donny Godbrains from starting a really horrible war so it has its silver linings?

gently caress everything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The dems have done the reverse in other states, and then come back because the republicans don't give in. They're not good at hostage taking.