Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

This hasn’t been true for years. Applications can request and be given background execution slices under a number of circumstances.

Of course they can, they always have been, otherwise audio playback doesn't work. The fact remains that's you're accomplishing nothing by closing all your suspended apps, as they're not actually running and actively using resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahoning posted:

The moral of the story is, if you're looking to do only 3 things with your AppleTV, and you own a $2,000+ high end television, the AppleTV isn't for you.

I do and I'd never give up my Apple TV. And WebOS is pretty good, so I could imagine being able to get by without it - I just don't want to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I do and I'd never give up my Apple TV. And WebOS is pretty good, so I could imagine being able to get by without it - I just don't want to.

yeah i was firmly in the 'my tv will get an ethernet cable once every 6 months to update firmware and thats it and Apple TV will be my media device' corner when I got the TV and I was definitely going to get the 4K ATV. Once I realised WebOS wasnt actually hot garbage like AndroidTV, I was cool with it - doesnt spam ads, has all the major apps you want. plus, 4K Youtube works, which will probably never work on the ATV4K.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m starting my rewatch of Deadwood in advance of the movie, and I was curious which app would be better to watch it on - HBOGO or Amazon Prime. I did some googling and found out - much to my surprise - that the HBO GO app doesn’t support frame rate matching on the ATV. So I guess Amazon is the answer to that question.

But that got me thinking - my TV stupidly won’t tell me what frame rate is currently playing so I have no way of knowing what’s actually playing at 24 and what’s not (aside from just looking for judder or watching to see if there’s an extended bit of black when I start the show or go back to the menu.) Is there a site that keeps track of which apps support frame rate matching and which don’t? Or a site that compares and keeps track of varying quality across streaming apps? My various googling on that topic only brought me to a few random reddit threads, and all the info in there seemed anecdotal at best.

For example - I’ve seen many accounts that Amazon’s streams will be better than HBOGO’s streams for HBO shows. Is this a verifiable fact, or just hearsay?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HBO's app has the absolute worst compression

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Prime doesn’t play well with frame matching on movies and it has crazy audio drift, or at least it did last time I checked. HBO is hilarious because their brand ID they play before everything with the static macro locks all to hell

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazon generally wins the quality war most of the time so yeah, if the choice is between them and HBO definitely pick the former. Don’t tend to use the app as I do everything through Plex so not aware of frame rate matching issues but I have Prime so I can look into that and see if I’m getting those issues.

All TVs I’ve ever had have told me what frame rate is coming in at best but never what it’s doing with that signal, it would be useful.

And yeah it’s kinda funny that HBOs tag kinda worked best back in the days of analog. How it looks tends to be an easy way to judge an encode quality these days tho!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Big Huski Boi posted:

HBO's app has the absolute worst compression

yeah, It’s sad how grainy and bad GOT looks

I wish the YouTube app let you save videos to the memory

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

I have a 4K TV (900F with Android TV) and a PS4 Pro, but I like the Apple UIs / Ecosystem.

Is there any reason to get an Apple TV other than APPPLE? Is there any clear quality benefit in streaming / watching media via the Apple TV?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The TV app is a pretty decent aggregator.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bug chaser chaser posted:

I have a 4K TV (900F with Android TV) and a PS4 Pro, but I like the Apple UIs / Ecosystem.

Is there any reason to get an Apple TV other than APPPLE? Is there any clear quality benefit in streaming / watching media via the Apple TV?

I have an LG 4K TV and I tried out the Roku 4K HD and the drat thing would absolutely no do HDR with my set even though the box was able to do it. I had a roku before that and was perfectly fine staying with it but it just did not do the tv justice.

The Apple TV does HDR and quite frankly it has a noticeably better picture quality vs the roku. I even upgrade the bedroom tv to an ATV4k and again better picture quality vs the roku.

The Roku was ok but the ATV UI PQ and UI are so much better.

Oh yeah and I was having issues with the directv now app on the roku and it worked perfectly on the ATV.

I also like being able to play music / videos from any of my apple devices and being able to use my BT headphones with the ATV.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a x900f and an ATV 4K. I really dislike the UI on Android TV or whatever it is. Absolutely prefer the ATV UI over the Sony one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You'll have a lot more 3rd party TV apps available, that's for sure.

My aTV is my only media consumption device. I currently have cable, but I use an HD HomeRun Prime and a cable-card with it to stream my cable channels over my home network. Channels on aTV is how I watch cable. Also Pluto, Hulu, Netflix, etc...

I can also access all my iTunes music, tv shows and movies (although the last is less of an issue with Movies Anywhere).

I can't say for 4K, but I think the video is better quality than my PS4 Slim @1080p.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

I got mine for listening to Apple Music through my home theater, watching 4K iTunes movies and using AirPlay to put my display on the TV

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have an LG OLES with WebOS that’s generally pretty good and I’ll never part ways with my ATV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The TV app is a pretty decent aggregator.

I wish I could turn off or hide the movies that are iTunes only.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Infuse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh yeah man, Infuse is great for all the poo poo I have on my computer. I have a 4TB disk full of random poo poo, especially 4k content and it's beautiful in Infuse on my ATV. So easy to use, it's like netflix or some poo poo but it navigates the folders I have it set up for. It also downloads box art and subtitles.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: tvOS 12.3 is out! :siren:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/13/ios-12-3-features-tvos-13-more/

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Yes, and no more forced Fucker Carlson mug anymore when scrolling down in the TV app! Yay!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

screamin and creamin posted:

Yes, and no more forced Fucker Carlson mug anymore when scrolling down in the TV app! Yay!

......what?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m guessing they mean the non-removable News line they put into the browse/category view.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So what exactly is changed about the TV app? I get that they have channels now so you can subscribe to HBO, STARZ, etc directly from Apple, but is that the only difference from how it was before?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

https://imgur.com/vJig009

Explanation: Before iOS 12.3, if you scrolled down a little bit, the TV app showed a row of news outlets including Fox News, with pictures of news anchors and the like. Fucker Carlson was one of them. There was no way to get rid of this. I'm sure what exactly was country-specific, so you wouldn't have seen him outside the US.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It looks like there is no reason for me to use the ATV and switch to Apple to pay for my HBO or Starz subscription until the Mac OS Apple TV app is released in the fall, since I watch on the laptop quite a lot. I suppose Apple may just show up as a "Provider" on the HBO/Starz activation pages like Prime Channels do, but it's not there yet.

I really like the TV App feature as it shows at the top of the screen a lot of what you were watching (shows, sports, movies you didn't finish) as well as prompts for new episodes when they pop up. The biggest drawback is a lack of connection with Netflix, since apparently $ is involved to be part of the TV App and well...meh.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

screamin and creamin posted:

https://imgur.com/vJig009

Explanation: Before iOS 12.3, if you scrolled down a little bit, the TV app showed a row of news outlets including Fox News, with pictures of news anchors and the like. Fucker Carlson was one of them. There was no way to get rid of this. I'm sure what exactly was country-specific, so you wouldn't have seen him outside the US.
I'm in the US, but I guess I never really use the TV app that much. Or pay too much attention, anyway.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Endless Mike posted:

I'm in the US, but I guess I never really use the TV app that much. Or pay too much attention, anyway.

Or cared

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been using Plex lately and it's pretty slick. I'll probably never be enough of a media hoarder for it to be an all in one streaming solution, but for the few things I use it with it's great.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This new AppleTV app seems kinda pointless in Canada :canada:.

I guess it can tell me what's on Crave and then load Crave? But why wouldn't I just load the Crave app instead? AppleTV.app just adds an extra unnecessary step.

Unless the behaviour from the Crave.app is unintended, which would not surprise me in the slightest. They haven't even gotten around to making a PS4 app for crying out loud.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

I guess it can tell me what's on Crave and then load Crave? But why wouldn't I just load the Crave app instead? AppleTV.app just adds an extra unnecessary step.

Unless the behaviour from the Crave.app is unintended, which would not surprise me in the slightest. They haven't even gotten around to making a PS4 app for crying out loud.

It does other apps as well like Prime and CBC gem etc.

That behaviour has always been that way. I think the idea is that you only look at one app instead of the garbage Crave one, but this feature is still clearly US centric

For non-Canadians. Crave is owned by Bell who controls the HBO rights in Canada so they bundled it into their crappy streaming Netflix competitor for $20 a month

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Snuffman posted:

The intent is to be a front end for all the apps you have installed. Instead of going to Crave, and then Hulu, and then Prime, or whatever, you just go to TV and pick whatever you want to watch, and it loads the necessary app. The long-term goal is to get rid of that last step and just play streams directly within the TV app, like they're doing with HBO (in the US at least).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does Crave air the HBO shows at about the same time as they show on cable? That was the biggest annoyance with stuff like itunes for hbo shows before..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The TV app is great because it opens up the appropriate app, which has a 20% chance of asking you to re-activate it, mostly likely because it updated. And of course the single sign-on crap has never worked at all, so you have to do the whole dance over again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tv app works great for me. All of my apps are using directvnow for sign in and if that shits the bed it's not on Apple.

I just wish Netflix would cut the poo poo and support it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Using the TV app is a 1 million times better experience than using the Fox app.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Using the TV app is a 1 million times better experience than using the Fox app.

I never found the need for the TV app. Our main services are Netflix, HBO, Prime and Showtime (80% Netflix and HBO), plus Food network and some random cable stuff. Oh and NHL / NBC Sports.

I’ll give it another whirl, but I find especially Netflix and HBO apps to be fine, and I’m assuming NHL won’t offer integration because they suck at most things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually do like it during college football season because it will tell me what games are on what channels across all apps. I don't really use it much otherwise.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Does Crave air the HBO shows at about the same time as they show on cable? That was the biggest annoyance with stuff like itunes for hbo shows before..

Yeah, you can watched the live-stream of HBO so in the case of Game of Thrones you can watch live at 6PM PST and then when its done airing the episode goes up for streaming.

The Crave app on AppleTV isn't bad, its definitely better than it was. That said, I can already see the elements of a darker future getting put in place: A few weeks back they took all the STARZ content and put that behind its own paywall. So now if you want everything Crave has to offer, you're paying for Crave + HBO paywall + Starz paywall. Following what I'm sure is a huge uptick in subs with the HBO bundle, Crave might just be testing the water with Starz (I'd only watch it for Counterpart and it got cancelled anyways). I sure hope they don't start locking each channel's content behind individual paywalls.

I got it just for HBO stuff, so far its been pretty good. :shrug:

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll give it another whirl, but I find especially Netflix and HBO apps to be fine, and I’m assuming NHL won’t offer integration because they suck at most things.

I'm pretty sure NHL integrates. Something was telling me to turn on Caps games during the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The TV app is great because it opens up the appropriate app, which has a 20% chance of asking you to re-activate it, mostly likely because it updated. And of course the single sign-on crap has never worked at all, so you have to do the whole dance over again.

Or, in the case of the MLB At Bat app, I click on the game through the TV app and it brings me to the login screen for MLB. Then I back out and just go into the MLB app the regular way and of course I’m already logged in.

(Note: I haven’t tried this in the new TV app)