Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, this confused me for a while because I had all the DLC but Hearthfire and I figured "I'll pick it up in a sale and that'll upgrade me to SE" but it was only a limited time offer apparently for... whatever reason.

Skyrim SE was automatically added to everyone who had Skyrim LE at the time of SE's release, so it was a one-time event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Wintersun and going for Sheogorath makes for some weird poo poo.

I recommend doing a pure mage khajiit + speak mod, and then doing Sheogorath as your deity.

And the Imperious racial speed + enchantments and other weirdness, my Khajiit guy is just flying across the landscape like Sonic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schadenboner posted:

E: Oh poo poo, they actually made a Skaven video game?

The melee combat in the Vermintide games is so good it makes it physically painful to play skyrim's janky add combat.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So with Wintersun and Khajiit + the Rh... whatever Khajiit deity, it gives extra gold in containers... so you use the Auto Harvest mod to grab it all up as you wander.

I had 10k gold before I got to Whiterun at level 7.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After messing around with MO2 and NMM and having a rough time of it (mainly due to them not natively supporting Skyrim VR, so you have to do a workaround), Vortex is extremely good. The only issue I have with it is that its not immediately obvious how to manually sort the load order (as it has some sort of auto sorting).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know I'm super late to the party on this, but Apocalypse has some really neat spells. Like right now for instance I'm getting a lot of use out of an illusion spell that makes a copy of the enemy you're fighting that does the same damage but has 1 hp. It's really neat.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Is Skyrim balanced if you don't use alchemy, enchanting and smithing synergistically?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yes, but you could also use them synergistically and still maintain balance.

I made a character recently that just did all crafting. The way I kept myself in check was to only spend perk points on the crafting trees and some of the thief skills. Nothing that would increase damage or survivability, really. Also, I would wear my crafting gear 100% of the time and never traded out crafting gear. If I had gear that improved my smithing, then my gear would be tough and strong, but I wouldn't switch it out for alchemy gear if I wanted to make a cool potion. If I didn't have any alchemy bonuses, I'd still make potions, but they'd be baseline, if that makes sense. I ended up using alchemy gear more than anything. I'd make cool potions, but eventually I would run out of stuff (taproot :argh:) and would have to switch tactics.

If you just want to use them at baseline and not use one to buff the other, then yeah it's balanced just fine, and you really get an understanding of how tough the game is supposed to be without crafting stupidly powerful gear. Legendary mode becomes pretty loving tough when you don't have +200 health on a bunch of gear or +100% one-handed damage on gloves before downing a +300% one-handed damage potion. Basically, you end up with gear that is the same as the higher end stuff that you find. Unique items actually do some heavy lifting too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Its Coke posted:

Is Skyrim balanced if you don't use alchemy, enchanting and smithing synergistically?

Yeah, forbid yourself Stealth Archery™ as well and it'll be challenging at points

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Challenging as in you'll challenge yourself to keep playing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, forbid yourself Stealth Archery™ as well and it'll be challenging at points

This is impossible; all paths converge to stealth archery.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So I followed the tucoguide and everything is pretty stable, but I have a few graphical glitches. Anyone know what could be causing these/how to fix them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Isn't there some LoD generating tool? I've never messed around with it but I've seen them in other guides. I'd try that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Dyndolod, yeah. I don't know the tuco guide well enough to say if that's it specifically but "distant meshes look weird" is a strong contender for needing to rebuild LOD billboards

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
What's a the best mod for fixing the faces?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Is Nexus Mod Manager the recommended way to manage mods?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Its Coke posted:

I've been using Vortex and it's been pretty great. It has this feature where it tells you exactly what files are conflicting between two mods and asks you which file you'd rather use. I'm not sure if thats a standard thing or not but I really liked it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Its Coke posted:

I haven't used Vortex but would put ModOrganizer 2 a mile ahead of Nexus.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The consensus is that for Skyrim, Mod Organizer 2 is the best choice all around since it's the only one that does clean mod installs and uninstalls.

I'm gonna go in some technical details here. Bethesda's data manager is terrible for modding. Most modern games designed with modding in mind will have a separate folder for mods, in which each mod will get its own individual folder, and they replicate the "core" folder structure. Beth games only have the core folder and mods just write in it.

Suppose you have a mod called Foo which changes the steel sword texture. It'll look a bit like this: Data\Textures\SteelSword.dds

With a well-designed system, you'd have a My Documents\My Games\NotSkyrim\Mods\Foo\Data\Textures\SteelSword.dds. If you download another mod, called Bar, which also changes the same sword texture, then you'd have My Documents\My Games\NotSkyrim\Mods\Bar\Data\Textures\SteelSword.dds in addition. When you load the game, whichever sword texture you get is the one from the mod you loaded last -- and you can change the load order back and forth to switch between both, or stop loading both of these mods to get the vanilla texture back.

With Skyrim and other Beth games, it's all in the Data folder from the game install. If you install Foo, and then Bar, Bar overwrites the texture from Foo. If you uninstall Foo after installing Bar, the mod manager may remember Foo installed the Data\Textures\SteelSword.dds file and delete it, but it's been overwritten by Bar so it deletes Bar's texture, and you get back to vanilla instead.

Mod Organizer 2 doesn't install stuff in Skyrim's Data folder. Instead it install each mod in its own separate folder, and when you launch Skyrim it does some wizardry to create a virtual folder in which the mod files are present in the order you want according to load order and makes Skyrim use it somehow. The drawback is that you have to launch Skyrim (and the Creation Kit, and any other modding tool) from MO2 otherwise they won't see your mods -- they'll only see your normal Data folder which will only have the vanilla Beth content in it (plus whatever Creation Club stuff you got, if any).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
It took me a couple days to really get the hang of MO2, but it's 100% worth it.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Thanks. I'm using mod Organizer now, but the tutorial got stuck on this part

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
On the left side, you have a list of mods that are installed, and you have to enable those you want to use. You can quickly and cleanly disable some mods, you can create profiles to switch between different sets of enabled mods. Then on the right side, you have the list of enabled mods as seen by Skyrim. When you enable a mod on the left side, it'll appear on the right side.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So, when I'm using skyrim uncapper with Mod Organizer 2, does the uncapper profile need to be "c:\...\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins" or "c:\...\ModOrganizer\SkyrimLE\mods\Skyrim -Community- Uncapper\SKSE\Plugins"

I have a two games right now, one using SPERG and the other using Ordinator so I need to switch the perk gain rate when I switch profiles and I've been changing it in both paths because I wasn't sure but it's kinda annoying.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skwirl posted:

So, when I'm using skyrim uncapper with Mod Organizer 2, does the uncapper profile need to be "c:\...\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins" or "c:\...\ModOrganizer\SkyrimLE\mods\Skyrim -Community- Uncapper\SKSE\Plugins"

I have a two games right now, one using SPERG and the other using Ordinator so I need to switch the perk gain rate when I switch profiles and I've been changing it in both paths because I wasn't sure but it's kinda annoying.

The latter.

Also if you need two different perk gain rates, I'd suggest installing another instance of the Uncapper (name the install something like "Uncapper [PROFILENAME]") and exclusively using that one for the second profile (keep it disabled on the first profile). That way you won't have to change the perk gain rate each time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThaumPenguin posted:

The latter.

Also if you need two different perk gain rates, I'd suggest installing another instance of the Uncapper (name the install something like "Uncapper [PROFILENAME]") and exclusively using that one for the second profile (keep it disabled on the first profile). That way you won't have to change the perk gain rate each time

Thanks, and thanks, that's a great idea.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod that makes thievery more interesting? Ordinator has some neat looking perks, but anything more in that direction would be cool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TwoDice posted:

Is there a mod that makes thievery more interesting? Ordinator has some neat looking perks, but anything more in that direction would be cool.

sneak tools is cool

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I've got SPERG, but are there any other gameplay mods out there that have a fairly light touch but make the game more interesting/fun?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Disparity, it's almost like having a class again.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Any good weather mods compatible with Enhanced Light and FX?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Its Coke posted:

Any good weather mods compatible with Enhanced Light and FX?

My pretty basic research on this topic lead me to Obsidian Weathers, in the end. It just seemed the best looking to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BBJoey posted:

I've got SPERG, but are there any other gameplay mods out there that have a fairly light touch but make the game more interesting/fun?

Enaison's other mods are good. Wintersun adds a religion mechanic, Andromeda changes up the Standing Stones, Imperious changes how the races work. Those are all fairly light, his other ones are a bit heavier handed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Andromeda is pretty cool. One of the first stones I found was The Ritual, which (spoiler just in case you want to find out for yourself) absorbs the souls of dead bodies I encounter and summons them during the next fight. Hopefully the others are that interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Andromeda is pretty cool. One of the first stones I found was The Ritual, which (spoiler just in case you want to find out for yourself) absorbs the souls of dead bodies I encounter and summons them during the next fight. Hopefully the others are that interesting.

The Lover and The Lady are both pretty cool as well.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Edit: Nevermind, found out it was just a problem with a mod. Anyway, is there a mod to make Skyrim louder?

Its Coke fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 15, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm messing around with skyrim and seeing what mods I really need. Then I see something I never noticed before. I really only looked after I read that it changed stuff that didn't need changing. And that only reminded me of the single name of a modder I learned to just avoid long ago. Arthmoor made the unofficial patch. Can I play without the unofficial patch?

I know without it my old save file is just hosed but I was planning on starting a fresh character.

Also, Lol at his drama with Skyrim VR. I'm know I'm late to reading about this.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 15, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Play with the unofficial patch. Artie's other stuff is whatever, but the unofficial patch is basically required, just for the bug fixes and the fact a lot of other mods depend on it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dragon tits

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tenzarin posted:

I'm messing around with skyrim and seeing what mods I really need. Then I see something I never noticed before. I really only looked after I read that it changed stuff that didn't need changing. And that only reminded me of the single name of a modder I learned to just avoid long ago. Arthmoor made the unofficial patch. Can I play without the unofficial patch?

I know without it my old save file is just hosed but I was planning on starting a fresh character.

Also, Lol at his drama with Skyrim VR. I'm know I'm late to reading about this.

Wait, is Arthmoor Considered Harmful? I don’t know where to go for Skyrim modding drama.

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He's some crazy libertarian that tries to enforce weird rules in modding or something. I don't dwell on it.

The unofficial patch is basically mandatory, and some of his other mods like the cutting room floor, ars metallica, and a few other gameplay mods are really good. I run most of his settlement mods as well.