Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Madkal posted:

Remember those massive woman marches three odd years ago. Maybe it's time for some bigger now

General strikes are the only thing that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fallom posted:

You talking maybe some larger poster board signs?

I'm talking having them march with ARs around their chest.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Exactly, these women's marches (or any left-leaning, progressive movement) need to start getting teeth.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Zophar posted:

Someone described to me before that Ohio is the test case, and these ultra draconian laws in Georgia and Alabama are what they want to be standing when Roe falls.

That's exactly it.

What they actually want to get heard by SCOTUS is one of those "abortion is legal, but impossible to actually get because of ridiculous restrictions" laws, since there's a very good chance the Roberts/Rape Judge court goes "LOL, states rights!" and allows those laws to be put into effect while still saying abortion is legal at the federal level.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

azflyboy posted:

That's exactly it.

What they actually want to get heard by SCOTUS is one of those "abortion is legal, but impossible to actually get because of ridiculous restrictions" laws, since there's a very good chance the Roberts/Rape Judge court goes "LOL, states rights!" and allows those laws to be put into effect while still saying abortion is legal at the federal level.

That’s probably the most probable outcome at this point.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Or even better

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crabtree posted:

be the change you wish to see in the world

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I'm talking having them march with ARs AKs around their chest.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

"Almost unnoticeable"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-03/soaring-bankruptcies-in-farm-belt-force-banks-to-boost-defenses

Bloomberg posted:

Farmer bankruptcies in six Midwest states rose 30 percent to 103 in 2018

Bloomberg posted:

So far this year, personal income for farmers is down 25 percent

Trump does not give a single goddamn gently caress about ruining farmers. He'll posture, claim he did the economy a great service, and never be in a situation where he might "notice" what he's done (read: get anywhere near some plebe farmer).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well I was thinking they should chain themselves to the government branches of the state but honestly I am a dude in Canada so I can't really say much. Just would be nice to see some mass protest against this poo poo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The thing that gets me about these laws is how are they going to enforce them with women in police forces? Are they going to start screening patrolwomen and female detectives for political liabilities or go through their pasts for a miscarriage or abortion in case they feel sympathy for women who have had abortions?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The 2002 wargames is literally this shittiest example you could pick to prove the US military is ill equipped and Im honestly suprised people still buy it or bring it up.

That wasnt "He did something he shouldnt have done and won" its "He did something he couldnt have done and won".

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2019

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Nah, wealthy white women were able to obtain abortions discreetly and privately from doctors even before Roe v. Wade.

100% this. These laws aren’t for us they’re for thou. Indiscreet white privileged woman won’t be denied, but those godless animals should have to suffer for their slutty ways...

gently caress I hate these people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Crabtree posted:

And then the police would open fire and that would be that.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

100% this. These laws aren’t for us they’re for thou. Indiscreet white privileged woman won’t be denied, but those godless animals should have to suffer for their slutty ways...

gently caress I hate these people.

I guess wealthy white women will be visiting their out of state aunt's a lot more soon.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Young Freud posted:

The thing that gets me about these laws is how are they going to enforce them with women in police forces? Are they going to start screening patrolwomen and female detectives for political liabilities or go through their pasts for a miscarriage or abortion in case they feel sympathy for women who have had abortions?
I have some bad news to tell you wrt literally any kind of non Straight/White/Cis-male pig, and how they treat their own...

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Young Freud posted:

No one is going to prosecute women for miscarriages unless it's blatantly obvious they were actively trying to make themselves miscarry. The real cause celebre will be when some rape victim mail orders herself some mifepristone and Alabama tries to send her to the chair over it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Charliegrs posted:

I guess wealthy white women will be visiting their out of state aunt's a lot more soon.

I wonder if they would be even mildly inconvenienced if that relative recorded them talking about getting an abortion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

If the new laws don't even get stayed we'll know what's up

The new laws will be immediately stayed by lower courts but this won't stop them from reaching SCOTUS.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xequecal posted:

No one is going to prosecute women

lemme just stop you right there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xequecal posted:

No one is going to prosecute women for miscarriages unless it's blatantly obvious they were actively trying to make themselves miscarry.

No one is going to prosecute women for miscarriages except when they prosecute women for miscarriages

E: Also it has been happening for years

quote:

in 2014, Lynn M. Paltrow and Jeanne Flavin claimed to have identified over 380 cases where women faced criminal charges for miscarrying –with the charges ranging from "attempted fetal homicide" for falling down the stairs to "second-degree murder" for a spontaneous miscarriage in the first trimester.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 15, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xequecal posted:

No one is going to prosecute women for miscarriages unless it's blatantly obvious they were actively trying to make themselves miscarry.

yes, only under this narrow situation do women have cause for concern

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Especially women of any color. They're obviously safe.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the most hilarious thing he did was sink carriers by putting dozens of anti-ship missiles on speedboats, each individual missile larger than the speedboats firing them

simulation was duuumb

You've got your facts wrong. Gonna be a whole lotta :words: but:

They didn't fire them at all. They just straight up kamikazed them similar to what happened to the USS Cole. Which was probably doable even given the oversizing of the missiles. Since while that was happening the carrier group was also bogged down by trying to deal with a gently caress ton of missiles (to the point where the fleet was probably hosed even without the speedboats) coming at them from every available coastal battery and silo in an attempt to pre-empt the preemptive strike the US was making. Also, on top of all of that he also had planes meant to pour even more munitions onto the fleet inbound alongside the missiles as well. Planes that were bypassing a good chunk of the advertised capabilities of the fleet's high tech radar systems through the innovative strategy...of flying low. Which is not innovative at all, really.

The whole thing was basically an exercise in proving Riper right. He was apparently very skeptical of the current military doctrine's over reliance on DI funded military technology along with the military's over reliance on analytics. The latter of which he felt was incredibly dumb, since expecting the enemy to play by your expectations or rules of engagement in a war is a recipe for disaster. Which he then demonstrated quite brutally by just outright crushing the competition by overwhelming their projected/expected defensive capabilities.

For instance, when the US naval group's commanders entered the conflict zone and just went full bore into landing troops Riper simply had his staff calculate the maximum number of missiles the defense systems of the fleet could fend off and exceeded that by forgoing holding munitions back for later in the conflict. The end result being that the red team just zerg rushed the fleet with every available missile, plane, and just to be safe also a bunch of refitted kamikaze speed boaters to add an extra gently caress you. Cue the fleet sinking and the people in charge of the exercise throwing a fit and demanding that he follow a script that would guarantee a blue team victory.

It got to the point where Riper had to quit the exercise since the folks in charge of the exercise were going behind his back to supersede his orders to his subordinates so that the red team wouldn't be effective. And even with all that the declassified report states that red team still essentially completed a good chunk of it's objectives.

On top of this, his communication systems not only bypassed the analytics (the blue team and by extension the higher ups were certain that once they took out certain high tech means of communication he'd drop back to other equally vulnerable means of high tech communication instead of innovating with available resources or relying on something more sturdy) and expectations of the higher ups but were also literally ripped straight out of the tactics of WW2.

Edit: The whole "but the speedboats don't count due to the munitions being oversized!" thing doesn't really hold water too. It goes back to the original issues Riper had with the exercise. One of Riper's big complaints about the past training exercises was that the military/blue team was claiming that they should be able to field tech that literally didn't exist yet in what was essentially a case of them mixing "I have the best tech ever and you lose by default!" and "here's why we need more money for the defense industry!".

Given that the entire thing was also meant to showcase future technology (and essentially give a predetermined outcome that would sell it to other aspects of the government.) people claiming the speedboats having oversized missiles is impossible goes right back to Riper's primary complaint. That he was given a set of arbitrary rules that meant that he was expected to lose by default. Especially when you consider that refitting a speedboat fleet is hardly par on par with developing the newest and greatest failure of a fighter in terms of costs and design difficulties.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 15, 2019

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No one is going to prosecute women for miscarriages except when they prosecute women for miscarriages

E: Also it has been happening for years

It sure looks like they're claiming these women did it to themselves on purpose. I wish they actually provided some information about that "second degree murder for first trimester miscarriage" case, that's the only overt WTF case in there.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a bunch of prosecutors apparently hate women so much that they're going to just start using genuine miscarriages as an excuse to ship them off to prison for no reason.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xequecal posted:

It sure looks like they're claiming these women did it to themselves on purpose.
:thunk:

Xequecal posted:

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a bunch of prosecutors apparently hate women so much that they're going to just start using genuine miscarriages as an excuse to ship them off to prison for no reason.

Oh of course, the US justice system is famed for not ever railroading powerless people, especially people of color, what was I thinking

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Xequecal posted:

No one is going to prosecute women

I hate to cut off a statement, but.

What.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Xequecal posted:

[there was previously a swastika here, it was removed to keep the forums work safe]
PROUD BOY.
PROUD DEFENDER OF NAZIS EVERYWHERE.
ASK ME ABOUT HOW RACIST SYMBOLISM ISN'T ACTUALLY RACIST

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

azflyboy posted:

That's exactly it.

Gun to head, I think Roberts sides with the liberals at the last second like Oamacare

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If it's a legitimate miscarriage the female body has ways to try to shut that whole criminal investigation thing down.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sorry, I have to ask. Is this the same guy who tried to prove the ok symbol was 100% harmless by posting a pic of Obama doing it like 12 years ago?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gun to head, I think Roberts sides with the liberals at the last second like Oamacare

i hate to retreat to citing the opening arguments podcast rather than making my own proposition, but,

i'll cite the opening arguments podcast rather than making my own proposition

the danger is less that the Roberts Court goes "lol Roe and Casey are overturned, good luck fuckers, peace out" and more that Roberts joins the liberal justices and any of the other evil justices that feel sane on that day, and writes a lovely opinion that scrapes away some more bits of abortion rights

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Xequecal posted:

It sure looks like they're claiming these women did it to themselves on purpose. I wish they actually provided some information about that "second degree murder for first trimester miscarriage" case, that's the only overt WTF case in there.

I suppose we'd also have a hard time convincing you prosecutors hate black folks so much they've been doing a similar thing to them for decades now?

Here's three reasons a prosecutor, whether they think they hate women or not, would ship women who had a miscarriage off:

1. Easy win for the prosecutor's record
2. Private prison companies are happy over an influx of slave labor
3. Most women prosecuted this way are going to lose their right to vote

P.S. "genuine" is a weird word to pick. It's still a miscarriage if it's from a back alley abortion.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

EwokEntourage posted:

No worries I just saw the marbury part and had to justify my over priced JD on the internet like a real lawyer
You seem to agree with me though unless I misread you.

(I mean probably not with my take on Marbury itself, but at least its applicability here.)

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i'm actually more optimistic about the Dark Judges than Andrew is, but I think his basic conclusion is correct

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The "good" news about Alabama's new law is that getting the gently caress out of Dodge is still an option. Any abortion that happens outside of the state is out of their jurisdiction.

I'm sure they'll try to criminalize "leaving the state with intent" eventually but that would be tricky even with a conservative Court. The real fireworks are gonna be when an out of state activist gets indicted as an accomplice for mailing in plan B.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

From the chattering I've seen on Twitter from the Intellichudsia, they're all claiming Kavanaugh will surprise everyone by voting with the lib justices and the libs are going to feel super owned.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

LtStorm posted:

I suppose we'd also have a hard time convincing you prosecutors hate black folks so much they've been doing a similar thing to them for decades now?

Here's three reasons a prosecutor, whether they think they hate women or not, would ship women who had a miscarriage off:

1. Easy win for the prosecutor's record
2. Private prison companies are happy over an influx of slave labor
3. Most women prosecuted this way are going to lose their right to vote

P.S. "genuine" is a weird word to pick. It's still a miscarriage if it's from a back alley abortion.

Miscarriage implies you weren't trying to terminate the pregnancy. Abortion implies you were.

I mean I'm pro choice and hate this law but the idea that this law, right here, is suddenly going to enable prosecutors to ship women off en masse with false "murder" charges is just fearmongering. There's a million other laws they could be doing that with already if that was the goal. Literally every concrete example given in that NYT piece was third trimester except one, and that one was ruled to be illegal by the courts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xequecal posted:

Miscarriage implies you weren't trying to terminate the pregnancy. Abortion implies you were.

I mean I'm pro choice and hate this law but the idea that this law, right here, is suddenly going to enable prosecutors to ship women off en masse with false "murder" charges is just fearmongering. There's a million other laws they could be doing that with already if that was the goal. Literally every concrete example given in that NYT piece was third trimester except one, and that one was ruled to be illegal by the courts.

Of course it won't be "en masse" it will just be the same class of women who get prosecuted for sending their kids to play in the park, failure to trim their grass, or any other number of ways the criminal justice system brutalizes.

How it will happen is they'll charge a women who miscarried after *doing a drug* and you'll say "well listen, they're not going for death penalty and she did do a drug....so its not the same thing." And then that will expand to "maybe did a drug" and " was near drugs" and by that point it will just be the status quo and we'll be arguing over if they're actually going to put people in prison for possession of certain birth control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr Interweb posted:

From the chattering I've seen on Twitter from the Intellichudsia, they're all claiming Kavanaugh will surprise everyone by voting with the lib justices and the libs are going to feel super owned.

That's probably their seemingly pathological need to believe that ____ situation is going to end up with the libs being mad/owned/whatever makes them feel good about their lovely life choices.

Not that I trust Trump at all, but his entire pitch to the evangelicals during the campaign trail was that they'd betray their professed religious beliefs and vote him in and he'd get abortion rights banned or further restricted. Kavanaugh is definitely a play to try and make them feel like it was worth it. If he doesn't toe the line then Trump's reelection prospects are liable to drop even further assuming the evangelical base of the GOP doesn't just get whipped into a frenzy from something to vote for him in again defiance of all logic. Which y'know, is also possible too.