Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

yeah this definitely tracks, probably better than most of my suggestions even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Dang, this one is probably the better rec. Also a much more reasonable length.

With all the talk of the FMA Movies in the chat thread, it kinda slipped my mind.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thanks guys. I will start watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I have started on JoJo (the Starlight Crusader one) and man, everyone has so much muscle

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FMA is not lacking in the muscles department either.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

FMA is not lacking in the muscles department either.

When compared to JoJo it is, but to be fair every show is lacking in muscles compared to early JoJo.

Also another good show to watch is My Hero Academia. It doesn't do anything new but almost everything it does is done extremely will.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

considering hunter x hunter is the second anime this dude ever watched, mha will probably seem new to them

edit: also my advice is check out stuff that isn't action shonen just to see if you like it. none of it will be that similar to hxh really so im not gonna offer definitive recs since itd just be 'stuff i think is good' (unless you wanna hear that ig) but a lot of people who get in via shonen tend to just stay in that lane when there's a lot of diverse stuff out there that they'd probably enjoy too, so just keep an eye open for stuff that seems interesting

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 14, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I watched the pilot of a high school volleyball anime and really enjoyed it but lost access to the rest of it. Although that may be considered shonen too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haikyuu? The manga it's based on runs in a shonen magazine, yeah, but shonen just means 'aimed at young boys' so it's a pretty broad descriptor, it's pretty clearly a different thing from something like HxH.

If you want sports anime, Kuroko's Basketball and Ace of Diamond might be up your alley too?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If you're just getting into anime, I recommend checking out some battle poo poo that isn't quite battle poo poo. Just to see what you like and expand you pallet a bit. They're not quite HxH, but they've got some intense "battles" like it.

Kaiji is a wild rollercoaster about high-stakes gambling. Basically, this dead-beat gets into an inescapable hole of debt and decides he's gonna risk his life to climb out. And it turns out he's a master at the art of bullshit. There's an arc about pachinko and it's somehow one of the most compelling things I've ever watched.

Death Note is a gleefully over-the-top series about a kid who can kill anyone by writing their name down in a book up against an eccentric detective boy. From there, these two lads scowl and constantly try to one-up each other while forming this bizarre sort of friendship. It's an entry series, but it's an entry series for a reason. It's kind of dumb, especially in the second half, but it's a fun romp.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 14, 2019

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kaiji's a good choice if you liked the intensity and emotionality and even the philosophical aspects of the later HxH arcs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure at one point I actually grabbed my head in concern with Kaiji. It's seriously good.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Coincidently, the band that does the first ED for HxH does the second OP for Kaiji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieP1QwyOvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMvYkJ6-rw

Fear, And Loathing in Las Vegas

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Thanks guys I am writing all these down. What I loved most about Hunter x Hunter was the narration, battles, character growth, moral discussions, lack of tropey conclusions (how the Chimera ant plot concluded for example), animation style, pretty much everything. I was turned off by the first episode, wondering why am I watching a toddler beat up a giant fish, but by episode 3 I was intrigued and by the time they hit Heavens Arena I realized I needed to watch a lot more anime

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Thanks guys. I will start watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I have started on JoJo (the Starlight Crusader one) and man, everyone has so much muscle

Do you mean the old 90s OVA? It's... not bad exactly, but I definitely meant the 2012 TV anime.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Thanks guys I am writing all these down. What I loved most about Hunter x Hunter was the narration, battles, character growth, moral discussions, lack of tropey conclusions (how the Chimera ant plot concluded for example), animation style, pretty much everything. I was turned off by the first episode, wondering why am I watching a toddler beat up a giant fish, but by episode 3 I was intrigued and by the time they hit Heavens Arena I realized I needed to watch a lot more anime

that said, based on this you definitely want FMA. Jojo's sort of gets to this point eventually but it's more weird humor and superpowers than in-depth character development (at least until much later)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you mean the old 90s OVA? It's... not bad exactly, but I definitely meant the 2012 TV anime.

iirc, aren't they actually two halves of a single story? With the 2012 one being the first half, no less.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, aren't they actually two halves of a single story? With the 2012 one being the first half, no less.

No, the 2012 anime is completely unrelated to the OVAs.

There are two different OVAs but they were made in 1993 and 2000 respectively.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SHOAH NUFF posted:

if you really like the nitty gritty and details of something, you may enjoy the eternal classic, Legend of the Galactic Heroes(the original one, haven't watched the new one).

it's not overly bombastic or nonstop action, but boy howdy is it good, especially if you enjoy sci-fi, politicking, great characters and elaborate battle strategies. the only thing you shouldn't do with it is watch the next episode preview bits because they spoil poo poo before they happen. It's just really, really good. it also has one of the oldest threads on SA.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 14, 2019

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I watched my first anime show over the past few months, Hunter X Hunter, and I have to say it was the best drat thing I have ever seen and I want to watch more anime similar to it. Actually it’s my second anime because as a little kid I came across a show called Ronin Warriors on tv and got really into it. Anyways, what are some other anime as excellent as Hunter X Hunter

Can second that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood recommendation everyone's been giving you - seems like it'll match up quite well with what you're asking for.

That said, if you're as new to anime as you say, I'd generally recommend looking into other stuff as well in genres you like, rather than just sticking with shonen. There's a lot of great comedies, sci-fi shows, dramas, etc. A few general things:

• Check out some Ghibli films. Tastes vary and all, but there's a whole bunch of them and several are great - pick one that sounds like something you'd like and give it a go.
  • Check out some other anime films. Satoshi Kon has some superb ones, and also made a TV anime (Paranoia Agent) if you decide you like his films. Makoto Shinkai had a massive success with romcom/drama Your Name a few years ago.
  • The forum has a yearly vote on their favourite anime of the year - can't find the old lists, but if you can, might be worth having a glance at the top 10s in previous years, see what looks interesting. A Place Further Than The Universe won for 2018.
  • Not always reliable (things tend to move around a lot based on what's currently airing, and of course tastes vary), but you could also always look at the top anime list on MAL for ideas. Just looking at the top 10 there, Steins;Gate and March Comes in Like a Lion are both excellent.

If nothing there looks to your taste, fair enough. Figured you might just want to cast the net a bit wider if you're looking for stuff to watch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, yanno what? I think SHOAH NUFF ought to dive right into Attack on Titan. If you've not heard of it somehow, it's about a group of kids in a walled city that protects them from massive, man-shaped and man-eating naked monsters called Titans. But one day, a 150-meter-tall Titan appears and kicks a hole in the wall, and that's where the story begins. The path the story has taken has utterly bewildered a lot of people who followed it from the start, and yet it all connects and makes sense. It's a series that started out good, and only gets better as it goes along. The anime is currently in its 3rd season and the adaptation has been basically impeccable, barring a couple episodes in the first season. It's an utterly horrifying and action-packed series that likes to throw a bucket of hints at you and let you piece everything together leading up to major reveals, and it does it constantly.

Here's the first intro, which is an absolute banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgBUP8TJqV8&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2019

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I liked season 1 of AoT quite a bit, but I never kept up with the anime after the five(?) year hiatus. I was still kind of burned out by the 2013 hype. Is the anime worth getting back into? Should I pick up the manga?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

I liked season 1 of AoT quite a bit, but I never kept up with the anime after the five(?) year hiatus. I was still kind of burned out by the 2013 hype. Is the anime worth getting back into? Should I pick up the manga?
Seasons 2 and the two cours for Season 3 have been pretty friggin' great, so if you liked S1, Seasons 2 and 3 are absolutely going to scratch that itch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo yes and also holy poo poo yes

season one didn't even get to the FIRST major twist, of which there've been like...half a dozen, at least, since then, and the manga is multiple arcs past where the anime is

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

the argument could be made that seasons 2 and 3 are better than season 1. the animation, at least, is incredible

https://i.imgur.com/C75bg5h.mp4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

the argument could be made that seasons 2 and 3 are better than season 1. the animation, at least, is incredible

A friend/fellow professional musician said it best when we went to see Animals as Leaders a few years ago: "Like normally it's not my cup of tea, but you gotta hand it to Tosin because game recognize game".

Say what you want about AoT the manga (or hell, even the anime), but the truth is that the staff stepped up their game big time.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I watched my first anime show over the past few months, Hunter X Hunter, and I have to say it was the best drat thing I have ever seen and I want to watch more anime similar to it. Actually it’s my second anime because as a little kid I came across a show called Ronin Warriors on tv and got really into it. Anyways, what are some other anime as excellent as Hunter X Hunter

To add to the many great recommendations already mentioned: Cowboy Bebop. A mostly-episodic sci-fi series about a ragtag crew of bounty hunters searching space for their next meal while trying to escape their pasts. Has great action and comedy, an amazing jazz soundtrack, and is commonly considered a masterpiece. Also has one of the best dubs ever made, on par with the sub, so you can't go wrong with either or both.

Watch the first five episodes to experience a wide range of the many genres and styles the show experiments with.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Hell if nothing else due to the long wait the subsequent seasons didn't have to worry about adapting too much of the manga at once so that alone is a big point in their favor compared to the first season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Hell if nothing else due to the long wait the subsequent seasons didn't have to worry about adapting too much of the manga at once so that alone is a big point in their favor compared to the first season.

On a tangent, has there ever been an anime that actually went in a better direction than the manga?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a tangent, has there ever been an anime that actually went in a better direction than the manga?

There is one. I forget the name of it but the basic plot was salaryman adopted a little girl and was really cute. The thing is that the anime ended before the manga did and the manga ending had said little girl grow up and start dating her foster father.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunt11 posted:

There is one. I forget the name of it but the basic plot was salaryman adopted a little girl and was really cute. The thing is that the anime ended before the manga did and the manga ending had said little girl grow up and start dating her foster father.

You're thinking of Usagi Drop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's less going in a different direction and more just not getting around to the second half.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

90s Sailor Moon isn't definitively better but it gives the non-main scouts more to do and has more humor and slice-of-life stuff. Whether that's an improvement depends on who you are but plenty of people prefer it. The anime of Cardcaptor Sakura is generally considered to be better, since it adds a couple of fairly well-liked side characters, expands a lot on the lore, and removes the relationship between a 10 year old and a 30 year old.

And K-On. Just in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also IIRC most of the politics and worldbuilding in Planetes was added in the anime?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Also IIRC most of the politics and worldbuilding in Planetes was added in the anime?
Indeed it was! (Huge fan of this and Vinland Saga)

Also, a lot of anime-original content in Gintama is pretty drat fun, thanks to fairly solid writing + phenomenal central cast.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mysterious Girlfriend X. Not that either is necessarily amazing mind you, but the Anime basically covers all the good bits of the manga, without covering the bad arc in the middle or any of the stale content afterwards, and reworks an early chapter into a final episode that works as a better resolution and conclusion of the story and main relationship than what the manga offered.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The 2001 Cyborg 009 anime is basically the gold standard for reboots, it patches together the manga into a good serial narrative and removes a lot of the culturally insensitive stuff like the black face and the Chinese guy being unable to speak japanese AND updates the timeframe of the story from the cold war in a sensible way without abandoning it entirely, all while staying true to the themes of the original

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Every Saint Seiya anime is better than it's corresponding manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if we're talking cutie honey then re: cutie honey made cutie honey not insanely lesbophobic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

Every Saint Seiya anime is better than it's corresponding manga.

Haha yeah... *nudges Saintia Sho under couch*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Asgard Arc :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Endorph posted:

Hard disagree that this made it better, though. The tone and focus on personal existential dread was way stronger in the manga, and I think it's a significantly better work.