Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gorson posted:

Alabama is slamming this through because everyone else is distracted by the heaps of scandals coming from this administration.

Alabama is doing this because and only because they now believe they may have 5 votes in the SCOTUS, full stop. Nothing else matters in their thinking on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

Woah you're quoting someone I used to know in the NOLA rave scene, what a small world

No poo poo. Mind blown.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

squirrelzipper posted:

This is a good hypothesis for explaining the voters actions but it doesn’t work when applied to the policy makers. The white men who actually drafted and passed the policy did so entirely to work towards a goal that is about controlling and removing women’s agency, not protecting the unborn. If the latter was the goal there are a myriad of easier and more effective ways to do so.

Yeah. The "goal" here is three fold from the policy maker's viewpoint --

1) Demonstrate absolute loyalty to the purest form of a partisan shibboleth

2) Demonize the enemy as baby genociders

3) demonstrate authority and control over women / the opposition

Modern-day political equivalent of parading your enemies through town in chains.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, right -- I'm just making the point that they aren't even thinking of it in terms that would lead them to become hypocrites. It's not even that rational. It's pure impulse.

"My enemy [Democrats] are bad people who want to genocide babies"

"Wait, does this mean I think rape and incest victims are baby genociding hitler democrats? No, it's ok for them, they're One Of The Good Ones"

It's not a rational process, it's a set of team-identity reactions. That's why "that's hypocritical!" never shifts anyone; they aren't thinking about it in terms of logic, so they don't care about logical rebuttals.

Same reason " the only moral abortion is my abortion". I'm One of the Good Ones.

The reason these laws got passed was that the Republican legislators are trying to prove they're conservative bona fides as True Party Members. It has nothing to do with logic or policy goals. It's just waving a flag.

Oh yeah I agree with you that the issue is now just another partisan flag, but we have to remember that historically conservatives have been against abortion since the dawn of time and that’s because they don’t believe women should have control over their bodies and lives. It’s become a team identity thing but it’s roots are firmly planted in misogyny.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gorson posted:

Of course not. Alabama's abortion fiasco is not the first big abortion news of the last month that would be the "Democrats are killing live babies" bullshit, a rumor which could have been started by anyone from someone in the administration to anti-abortion activists to a GOP agenda to loving Facebook. Alabama is slamming this through because everyone else is distracted by the heaps of scandals coming from this administration.

As for Iran, it takes *this* much intelligence for Donny to realize things aren't going well for him domestically and doing something very BIG and LOUD would help him make the media bend to his whims. He's an idiot no doubt, but he knows how to control the media. The point is, nobody is talking about Barr. Was all of this part of some moustache-twirling master plan? I don't remember saying that in my post.

This is some weasily bullshit. "Both the Iran and abortion stuff" can't "work perfectly" through their own agency. Choose your words better.

Alabama is doing this because a plurality of voters want it, they elected (through bullshit, sure) the representatives to move the bill through, and they believe they have the votes on the supreme court to win. The infanticide poo poo started because Ralph Northram made some dumb comments taken out of context on a radio show a few months ago, which right wing outlets took advantage of, and then he did it again.

Barr hasn't been in the news in 48 hours because there hasn't been any news. The wheels are still turning and there will be more news reported. Trump isn't a media genius. He does a lot of dumb poo poo that gets the media a lot of clicks. It is not by design.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 15, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

That's lovely, thank you. Bookmarked.

quote:

That said, the reason I have that take on abortion is basically just taking Altemeyer's authoritarian theory and applying it. That and the old Chris Hayes article on undecided voters.

It's extremely difficult for people who think about politics to wrap their head around Republicans right now because the Republicans aren't thinking. They're working in a whole different framework.

Yep, that's pretty much what fascism is. They're not thinking. They're trying to establish identity and orthodoxy through cruelty and violence. Thinking gets in the way of that.

If you take a look at Fox or the right wing media sphere, on occasion they'll be hit with information which if dropped on them without being primed would upend their world view if taken credibly. So what you'll see is a few days of radio silence from the opinion shapers before they come back with what's basically an inoculation to this conflicting wrongthink.

Or they'll do what they keep doing in the age of Trump which is to about face on what used to be their planks. Dissent is crushed and remaining dissenters are cast out of the tribe.

There's no ideology. There is only power and identity. Anything that serves that power and identity is viewed as good. Anything that criticizes it is bad.

But yeah, I agree 100%. They're not thinking. They're taking direction from above and move largely wherever the authority figure that they recognize says they should no matter in way direction, so long as it doesn't directly conflict with their power or identity.

The Republican party and conservative movement doesn't really believe in anything anymore except the supremacy of the white male and the establishment of second class rights or total othering of outsider groups. Literally everything else is on the chopping block. They'll figure out what they're about later. Right now they're just trying to save their historic privileges. What we're seeing in my opinion is something of a cultural death ride. They're looking at their dropping demographics and that the millenials reliably left of center and now outnumber the boomers, who are still reliably voting, but shrinking. They want to preserve their privileges because this is loving it for them. Their way of life in a lot of places has a shelf life now and it's about to expire. Installing judges who will preserve their rights and election fraud and terrorizing their base through RW media to turn out what votes they have left are the currently strategies to continuing white supremacy because the votes just aren't there.

They're panicking because white supremacy itself and patriarchy are on the chopping block. That's not too far down the road if white America continues its demographic collapse.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 15, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I assume someone posted this but lmao

https://twitter.com/dagotron/status/1127083222767038464

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The reason rape and incest exceptions generally get included is, it's hard to rationalize demonizing a crime victim.

Which loving blows my mind that they took out the exceptions for rape and incest because it is murder. Then why not repeal any laws where you can murder someone in self defense? It's also murder. I am sure the gun toting republicans would love that. Sentence anyone selling a gun to 99 years in prison because they facilitated a murder

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Wrong thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Which loving blows my mind that they took out the exceptions for rape and incest because it is murder. Then why not repeal any laws where you can murder someone in self defense? It's also murder. I am sure the gun toting republicans would love that. Sentence anyone selling a gun to 99 years in prison because they facilitated a murder

They don't have any principles. There are no good faith justifications. They start with the conclusion and work backwards using any convenient argument to support it. They do not care about being hypocrites. It's not a problem for them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Beto looks likes he's moving weight out of Cartagena

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

theoretically the fetus is not the one doing the rapimg

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Astro7x posted:

Fetuses are innocent little things that must be protected and saved, unlike the children they become that can starve in the streets, or the teenagers that get shot by their lunatic classmates because they didn't pray to Jesus enough I guess.

That's the "logic" you are fighting

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nocturtle posted:

Exactly. Conservatives seem dysfunctional right now because they essentially don't have an agenda, and rely on racism, nationalism and misogyny for support. They don't have an agenda because they basically achieved all their main goals defined by their opposition to the post-war labour and civil rights movements (summary: conservatives won). Now they're in charge, don't have anything to oppose but can't actually propose anything constructive, because that's not what conservatives do. The total failure of the Republican healthcare reform reconciliation bill was a great example of this.

Counterpoint (nitpick really):

They're incapable of actually winning because to them there is only a lose condition, that of others not like them getting more equality.

Zero-sum defines a lot of their worldview. It's also why hate works so well for directing them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Counterpoint: you're a bootlicking officer cop. Going HAM as OPFOR owns.

Ignore the previous poster whining. Post more stories about the military being hilarious fuckups.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh yeah I agree with you that the issue is now just another partisan flag, but we have to remember that historically conservatives have been against abortion since the dawn of time and that’s because they don’t believe women should have control over their bodies and lives. It’s become a team identity thing but it’s roots are firmly planted in misogyny.

Actually it's rooted in racism. Even white evangelicals didn't care too much about abortion until the CRA. Suddenly, abortion became a hot-button topic because it was proxy battle for segregation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's lovely, thank you. Bookmarked.

Yep, that's pretty much what fascism is. They're not thinking. They're trying to establish identity and orthodoxy through cruelty and violence. Thinking gets in the way of that.

If you take a look at Fox or the right wing media sphere, on occasion they'll be hit with information which if dropped on them without being primed would upend their world view if taken credibly. So what you'll see is a few days of radio silence from the opinion shapers before they come back with what's basically an inoculation to this conflicting wrongthink.

Or they'll do what they keep doing in the age of Trump which is to about face on what used to be their planks. Dissent is crushed and remaining dissenters are cast out of the tribe.

There's no ideology. There is only power and identity. Anything that serves that power and identity is viewed as good. Anything that criticizes it is bad.

But yeah, I agree 100%. They're not thinking. They're taking direction from above and move largely wherever the authority figure that they recognize says they should no matter in way direction, so long as it doesn't directly conflict with their power or identity.

The Republican party and conservative movement doesn't really believe in anything anymore except the supremacy of the white male and the establishment of second class rights or total othering of outsider groups. Literally everything else is on the chopping block. They'll figure out what they're about later. Right now they're just trying to save their historic privileges. What we're seeing in my opinion is something of a cultural death ride.

Which makes it, to paraphrase someone else, a suicide cult. Conservatism cannot function without an underclass, but it also cannot function without an enemy. Once the enemy is defeated and made subservient in the underclass, they move on to the next person on the list. Given enough time the system, by definition, must shrink to only a few people being in power. So first they restrict it to only light skinned people. Then Jews aren't white anymore. Then Catholics. Then they break out the calipers. There is no end to it because the system cannot function without it.

There is no logic or ideology here, it's pure chest beating emotion, as you said.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Beto looks likes he's moving weight out of Cartagena

Some real good ones in that thread. Warning--Stephen Miller and Rudy Giuliani, too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In case we manage to actually incite a war with Iran, I just wanted to have publicly stated that this is totally hosed and ridiculous and terrible.

Personally I think Trump would rather look tough than actually commit to war, but Bolton et al. are arranging things in such a way so as to box both Trump and Iran in to a predetermined outcome. The runup to Iraq, transparently ridiculous as it was, has nothing on this bald-faced stupidity.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Astro7x posted:

That's really a completely different thing.

There's not a logical contradiction between the two positions, because core to the point is that "innocents" have a right to live. Republicans typically divide the world into "the good people" (which all babies are) and "the bad people" (which anyone who disagrees with or threatens me in any way is). So you can kill people trying to harm you, but not innocent babies.

The problem is the first principles they're drawing from aren't based in the real world, they're logically consistent garbage.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Astro7x posted:

Don't look for logic or consistency it's not there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing fighting off a war is dipshit's reverence for dictators and his complete loving cowardice. Bolton probably can't mustache ride him back if he runs off and come down from his war high hard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Biden looks like Vicente Fox

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Because the woman is always at fault. Look at literally any rape case. "Why were you out so late? Why were you dressed line that? You were probably asking for it".

There's no reason, it's just disgust at women having sex sometimes.

And hey, if you are 12 years old and your dad rapes you then you shouldn't have led him on, or you should have told someone, slut.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some real good ones in that thread. Warning--Stephen Miller and Rudy Giuliani, too.

Miller looks like the guy you cast as a creepy pedo nazi. And since we know 1 and 3 are already true....

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

So how do we just quarantine the bible thumpers at this point, because holy poo poo that Alabama law is Handmaid's Tale poo poo

Add Ohio

https://mobile.twitter.com/senatorjen/status/1126191961231241216

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Republicans typically divide the world into "the good people" (which all babies are) and "the bad people" (which anyone who disagrees with or threatens me in any way is). So you can kill people trying to harm you, but not innocent babies.
No, they don't care about babies, they "care" about fetuses.

They do everything they can to make sure a fetus becomes a baby. But they also do everything they can to make sure the baby has no social programs or support, no financial security, and no healthcare.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CuddleCryptid posted:

Because the woman is always at fault. Look at literally any rape case. "Why were you out so late? Why were you dressed line that? You were probably asking for it".

There's no reason, it's just disgust at women having sex sometimes.

And hey, if you are 12 years old and your dad rapes you then you shouldn't have led him on, or you should have told someone, slut.

Bad things only happen to you, the person who made mistakes. Not me, I do the right things and bad things won't happen to me.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No, they don't care about babies, they "care" about fetuses.

They do everything they can to make sure a fetus becomes a baby. But they also do everything they can to make sure the baby has no social programs or support, no financial security, and no healthcare.
That one's easy - if the parents made good decisions, like me, their babies would have food and healthcare. It's not my fault their parents didn't do the things I did.

The core belief is "Bad things only happen to people who don't do the smart things I do"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Presented without comment.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1128702163495137281

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

How the hell do you force a medical procedure on someone and who pays for it?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Good time for them to come to an agreement on Roe v Wade, huh?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Bad things only happen to you, the person who made mistakes. Not me, I do the right things and bad things won't happen to me.

That one's easy - if the parents made good decisions, like me, their babies would have food and healthcare. It's not my fault their parents didn't do the things I did.

The core belief is "Bad things only happen to people who don't do the smart things I do"

Basically how the "rules for thee and not for me" logic goes. If there is a fringe chance that you are doing something some might be bad, it can't be bad because you are a good person. And good people cannot be bad.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just world fallacy is a big part of their thinking as well to justify other actions

Astro7x posted:

Someone post the 'health of the mother' gif

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Astro7x posted:

Doesn’t matter since that procedure does not exist. They’re condemning women with ectopic pregnancies to die.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Counterpoint (nitpick really):

They're incapable of actually winning because to them there is only a lose condition, that of others not like them getting more equality.

Zero-sum defines a lot of their worldview. It's also why hate works so well for directing them.

Fully agree that conservatives can never feel like they've won, because the movement is inherently reactionary. This underlies the constant need to manufacture imaginary conflict (the migrant caravan, the war on Christmas etc), it's something they can react against.

However there's no denying that the conservatives basically won from the 1970s on. Labour was crushed, civil rights movement gains clawed back, corporate and established wealth secured, and more recently minority rule by essentially old white people. We are undeniably living in the dream outcome of a Thatcher or Reagan era conservative.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CuddleCryptid posted:

Basically how the "rules for thee and not for me" logic goes. If there is a fringe chance that you are doing something some might be bad, it can't be bad because you are a good person. And good people cannot be bad.
It's the driving force behind almost anything conservatives do, and once you get it, their behavior makes sense. There are good people, and bad people. I am one of the good people. The universe punishes bad people and rewards good people, and it is good and right that it does so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I mean, it's too dangerous for insurance definitely, so the mother, or, more likely, her next of kin when she dies from being legally required to be part of a bizarre medical experiment.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Calaveron posted:

Biden looks like Vicente Fox

The Silver Fox is the Diamond Joe we need.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

The Silver Fox is the Diamond Joe we need.

He looks like Joseph Stalin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, it's too dangerous for insurance definitely, so the mother, or, more likely, her next of kin when she dies from being legally required to be part of a bizarre medical experiment.

poo poo we're thinking too small on that whole VP/McConnell/Chief Justice flight, they're already on to discussing mandatory human centipede operations for LGBTQ people.