Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Haha yeah... *nudges Saintia Sho under couch*

The show at least aped the style of the 80s series almost perfectly and it zipped through the manga pretty fast, the first episode covered the entire first volume from what I remember. I fell off of both though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone in here seen Hyouge Mono? And if yes, is it worth the watch?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Thanks guys I am writing all these down. What I loved most about Hunter x Hunter was the narration, battles, character growth, moral discussions, lack of tropey conclusions (how the Chimera ant plot concluded for example), animation style, pretty much everything. I was turned off by the first episode, wondering why am I watching a toddler beat up a giant fish, but by episode 3 I was intrigued and by the time they hit Heavens Arena I realized I needed to watch a lot more anime

Yeah I actually posted in this thread a few days before you basically saying/asking the same stuff and was given some great suggestions. I really loved Mob Psycho for example.

I actually totally lucked into Hunter X Hunter knowing next to nothing about it. I thought it was all about big monster hunting and was kind of disappointed at first when it turned out to not really be that at all, but then I got sucked in and now it might be my favorite anime ever. I don’t think I’ve ever followed a piece of media where I never had any idea where it was going and was wrong the vast majority of the time and still was totally satisfied with how everything played out

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here seen Hyouge Mono? And if yes, is it worth the watch?

Absolutely, it's fantastic

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can I get a manga recommendation for something like Grand Blue Dreaming. I’m looking for the fun, romcom / Love Hina vibe, but nothing super raunchy (like Prison School, which was apparently recommended by MAL what the gently caress). Preferably newer art style but whatever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you liked the humor of Love Hina you might also enjoy Negima by the same author, though that's also part battle shonen so ymmv.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alright I have a pretty big list made from your guys recs. I am gonna start with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

How is bleach by the way?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it gets bad

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bleach has pretty ridiculous amounts of filler.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bleach is fun at first but gets bad as it goes on. Everyone seems to draw the line at a different point so just keep going until it gets boring for you, and then drop it safe in the knowledge that it never picks back up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bleach shits the bed really bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bleach has some really good side characters but its insanely unfocused and maybe two characters get a satisfying conclusion to their arcs

the author was constantly in conflict with his editors and you can tell in the finished product

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can I get a manga recommendation for something like Grand Blue Dreaming. I’m looking for the fun, romcom / Love Hina vibe, but nothing super raunchy (like Prison School, which was apparently recommended by MAL what the gently caress). Preferably newer art style but whatever.

We Never Learn?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The various Lupin the 3rd series from across the decades are good. There's no plot to speak of; each episode is a heist or misadventure, with a wide tonal variety. To me, the characters never get old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the episode of the first lupin series where they rob a neo nazi blind by pretending to be the reincarnation of hitler

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GorfZaplen posted:

Absolutely, it's fantastic

Watched the first episode and I know nothing about this historical period, but holy hell is Oda Nobunaga terrifying. Absolutely a great character in this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Watched the first episode and I know nothing about this historical period, but holy hell is Oda Nobunaga terrifying. Absolutely a great character in this.

its one of the best anime ever made, enjoy

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Davincie posted:

its one of the best anime ever made, enjoy

How have I never even heard of this show...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the audience for a historical anime about balding men drinking tea isn't exactly huge

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

E: Wrong thread lol

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 16, 2019

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

I love Grand Blue but I cant really give any recommendations for thigns like it that make me laugh. Romcom-wise Kaguya: Love is War and Jitsu wa Watashi Wa are very good but they arent really... funny. Theyre just fun. The only other comedy manga to get full on laughs from me (as opposed to just Sensible Chuckles) is Hinamatsuri. Completely different subject matter, its a story about a yakuza getting stuck raising a trouble child from the future and not a college romcom story, but its got heart, its got laughs and its just drat good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would argue that My Monster Secret is genuinely laugh out loud funny a lot of the time, especially once it starts rolling on your expectations based on particular characters.

Also, Hinamatsuri would probably fit the bill. Holy poo poo is Hinamatsuri hilarious, and every single person in it is a total dork idiot dipshit. Except anzu, she's just a dork, a wonderful, well-meaning dork.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, if you're going to experience Jitsu wa Watashi wa / My Monster Secret, the manga is the way to go.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Try Detroit Metal City. It's much closer to Grand Blue than Love Hina, though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

^^Also an awful lot of "rape" jokes, though it's really referring to dry humping most of the time.

It's funny and silly but I figure it deserves a CW

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Watched Run with the Wind based on the recommendations in this thread. I was the guy looking for "buds being friends and no-one acting like a total jerk" stuff.

It was great. I don't think it totally stuck the landing in its last episode, but everything else with it was fantastic. Shindo being sick and powering through his stretch of hills in the final marathon was absolutely devastating and heartbreaking to watch, but also bad-rear end and intense and life-affirming, like all sports shows should be.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Weird ask but are there more shows with a similar visual style to monogatari and nisekoi? Like is that a studio based thing where they tend to have the same quirks?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheLawinator posted:

Weird ask but are there more shows with a similar visual style to monogatari and nisekoi? Like is that a studio based thing where they tend to have the same quirks?

The director you are looking for is Akiyuki Shinbo, and the studio is SHAFT.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TheLawinator posted:

You want stuff produced by Studio Shaft, or more specifically stuff directed by Shinbou Akiyuki

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei if you want cynical social commentary that doesn't take itself seriously, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica if you want to see what happens when Shinbou goes ham on a genre (e: and has an art budget :v:), SoulTaker if you want surreal shonen action, and for completeness sake there's Le Portrait de petit Cossette if soultaker wasn't trippy enough and Madoka wasn't creepy enough.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2019

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hidamari Sketch! And Koufuku Graffiti

https://vimeo.com/116276531

They're good

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
If you're checking out SHAFT shows, absolutely watch March Comes in like a Lion!

Hidamari Sketch is also a gem, and Arakawa Under the Bridge is worth a look.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Thanks friends. I've already seen a few of these so seeing them mentioned has made the pieces fall into place in terms of directors and studios. No worries about me missing March haha.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The real Shinbo gem is Tenamonya Voyagers

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DamnGlitch posted:

^^Also an awful lot of "rape" jokes, though it's really referring to dry humping most of the time.

It's funny and silly but I figure it deserves a CW

isn't it mostly just the guy yelling the word "RAPE" a lot because it's an edgy word, without any depiction of the actual act

e: like i haven't seen the show in years but i remember him being kind of like KISS meets PewDiePie but without the latter's unironic neo-nazism

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

isn't it mostly just the guy yelling the word "RAPE" a lot because it's an edgy word, without any depiction of the actual act

e: like i haven't seen the show in years but i remember him being kind of like KISS meets PewDiePie but without the latter's unironic neo-nazism

Pretty much, through he does dryhump both the tokyo tower and an old man rather extendedly. There isn't any actual rape but the word is tossed around a lot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if i really liked dorohedoro, what else is out there that might scratch that same itch? the combination of fun characters, bizarre world, convoluted mysteries, and rad artstyle seems pretty unique, but i don't read much manga so maybe there's something i don't know anything about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For the record a lot of the later monogatari stuff wasn't actually directed by Shinbo, but Itamura has basically only solo directed Monogatari. Might be worth checking out some of the stuff he's directed episodes of, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh is Release the Spyce actually good

It sounds neat but "written by the YuYuYu and Akame ga Kill guy" doesn't inspire incredible amounts of confidence

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people said it was eh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty bomb OST, though! But otherwise yeah, not that spicy. 2.5 out of 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Colonel posted:

people said it was eh
This was my take after three episodes. I got three minutes into ep4, realized I didn't care about anything that was going on, and dropped it.

I'd recommend just watching Princess Principal instead if you haven't yet.