Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I use 240 but I have a keybind on my mouse for the underhand swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

I use 240 but I have a keybind on my mouse for the underhand swing

Orv
May 4, 2011
I generally use the default mouse binds for everything (wheel down, up, button 5, etc) except in the rare occasions where I still have 240 enabled and need to avoid hitting a wall or get around a specific side of a shield.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I bound my last mouse button to left strike since I'm dominate right but found it still strikes left or right depending on the mouse. You can probably setup 240 + strike stab over and under, let whether your mouse is left or right determine which

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I bound my last mouse button to left strike since I'm dominate right but found it still strikes left or right depending on the mouse. You can probably setup 240 + strike stab over and under, let whether your mouse is left or right determine which

there's a box you have to uncheck in the control options to make left/right binds actually work left/right

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hybrid mode works for me, manually side-switching is a bridge too far

Babe Magnet posted:

one thing I've noticed in regards to that, and something that's starting to make frontlines a little more frustrating, is that people are able to tie you up longer, which is fine on its own but really makes archery stand out as kind of being in an unfun place imo. I'm not generally against archery as much as some people, but man is it starting to feel like a tool for Fun Denying more than anything. I just don't know what I would do about it. I wouldn't remove it, it has its place, but I also wouldn't make the weapons much weaker either, maybe a little weaker against heavier armor. Maybe limit the amount of archers that a team of a given size can field? I don't know.

Make the bows have differing properties vs. armor/hit location like different melee weapons do, or maybe you can switch between arrows that do better against stronger armor or weaker/no armor with alt-fire?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zotix posted:

How many of you use the 240 system vs actually keybinding all of the attacks?

From what I understand all of the chivalry tryhards keybind all their poo poo.

McSpanky posted:

Hybrid mode works for me, manually side-switching is a bridge too far

Yeah, I wish there was something that pointed our and explained the Hybrid setting better. Because it seems the most user friendly method by far unless you want to go full "every input for it's action" with 240 of maximum attack binds.

Hybrid means (so far as I've seen when I select it) only left/right changes thanks to mouse motion. So M1 is always horizontal, but it's left or right based on your last twitch of the mouse, etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zotix posted:

How many of you use the 240 system vs actually keybinding all of the attacks?

From what I understand all of the chivalry tryhards keybind all their poo poo.

The chivalry tryhards all do that because it was the control scheme in chivalry and they're used to it, not because it is a billion times better or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, both are fine. im just used to keybinds because i played chivalry

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I must have chambered spears 50 times today, and not one single time was I able to capitalize on it. I legitimately have no idea what the hell to do to counter spears/ poke.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually just switched to full chivalry like control scheme because I like the extra control on which sides I'm swinging from, and I'm frantic during a fight so I can't count on my making the proper mouse movements.

Hybrid seems nice, thought. I didn't know it worked like that!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I use both 240 and binds, it's super easy if you have a mouse with a few extra button like almost every mouse these days, especially "gaming" ones :pcgaming:

LMB = 240 strike
mousewheel up = stab
mousewheel down = right overhead
thumb button 1 = right horizontal
thumb button 2 = right underhand
RMB = parry (still unsure wheter to put parry/feint here, but having to doubleclick to CFTP would probably throw all my instinct parries off timing... I'd love to have an extra mouse button to assign to feint but alas, I don't, so on Q it stays for the moment even if it's terribly awkward to use)
ALT = change attack direction so the above buttons do left attacks (still debating wheter to use that or mouse x-axis flips attack direction, which basically means that the binded attacks will be left or right depending on last mouse movement so a sort of "hybrid" mode)

I know there's also a literal hybrid mode but I have no idea how does it work, the keybind section could use some descriptive tooltips

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Zotix posted:

I must have chambered spears 50 times today, and not one single time was I able to capitalize on it. I legitimately have no idea what the hell to do to counter spears/ poke.

Morph stab into a strike and accel it. That's pretty much all you can do. Or just keep chambering until they drop their spear.

It's hugely unfun but it is possible to beat spear spam 1v1. In Frontline you will prob just get stabbed by another dude with spear while you're trying to do it

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I really dislike that chambering a spear thrust locks you into a chamber loop that will end up with one of you being hit in the head by a third party before he gets disarmed, unless you can somehow get their thrust to miss and you do a morph and they fail to avoid the morph.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Is there a list of gimmick weapons and how they function around? Like I know the billhook always knocks down cavalry. But I'm not sure how the pull functions in regular melee.

I'd also be keen to try other weapons that have tricks if I knew what they were.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

trunkh posted:

Is there a list of gimmick weapons and how they function around? Like I know the billhook always knocks down cavalry. But I'm not sure how the pull functions in regular melee.

I'd also be keen to try other weapons that have tricks if I knew what they were.

its like reverse knockback, it tugs them towards you in a quick lurch when you land a damaging strike. often disorienting for spacing but not really 'pull dudes where you want them to go' type of deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

trunkh posted:

The billhook can pull stuff, the wooden mallet and blacksmith hammer can repair stuff, the longsword replaces your X->2 emote with a special 1-damage attack where you unscrew the pommel and throw it, and the lute is a lute.
Those are the only special effects on weapons that I know of.

Not sure how much this counts as a gimmick, but the 2-point warhammer has an alt grip where you flip it around to bash stuff with the spike on the back of the hammer. Most hits with the spike end do terrible damage but it does huge bonus damage on headshot. Sort of like a baby little pocket-maul.

For true billhook gimmicks play with a toolbox and poke people from over your wall of wooden spikes to pull them into it.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I love this game but I'm so incredibly bad at it.

I fall for every feint, normally, and then when I try to be pro and listen for the grunt instead I get stabbed in the head over and over at supersonic speed.

A kindly random noticed me being bad in duels against him and respawned with some training swords and taught me some moves/chambering/etc yesterday though which was nice :unsmith:

Anyway I've joined the Discord and look forward to getting stabbed in the head by you all soon.

e: On keybindings I copied a streamer called Giru's after someone recommended it in a duel server, so left click is right swing, mousewheel down is right overhead, E is right underhand and mousewheel up is right stab, and then Alt flips them. Not sure if I like it more or less but the Alt is a little clunky to hit, especially Alt-E. Is there a better way to handle that?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 16, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Jack the Lad posted:

I fall for every feint, normally, and then when I try to be pro and listen for the grunt instead I get stabbed in the head over and over at supersonic speed.

A kindly random noticed me being bad in duels against him and respawned with some training swords and taught me some moves/chambering/etc yesterday though which was nice :unsmith:

Anyway I've joined the Discord and look forward to getting stabbed in the head by you all soon.

e: On keybindings I copied a streamer called Giru's after someone recommended it in a duel server, so left click is right swing, mousewheel down is right overhead, E is right underhand and mousewheel up is right stab, and then Alt flips them. Not sure if I like it more or less but the Alt is a little clunky to hit, especially Alt-E. Is there a better way to handle that?

My advice is pick a control scheme for yourself. I get on perfectly well with defaults.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TorakFade posted:

RMB = parry (still unsure wheter to put parry/feint here, but having to doubleclick to CFTP would probably throw all my instinct parries off timing... I'd love to have an extra mouse button to assign to feint but alas, I don't, so on Q it stays for the moment even if it's terribly awkward to use)

Actually, you probably already do. Most mice that I can remember you can click the wheel in addition to scrolling it and I'd be surprised if a mouse with thumb buttons didn't have that.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
One streamer said something good about right click to feint/parry: it puts all your sword controls onto the mouse which is probably easier on your brain. That's one reason I wouldn't have E doing underhand strike or whatever

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gobblecoque posted:

Actually, you probably already do. Most mice that I can remember you can click the wheel in addition to scrolling it and I'd be surprised if a mouse with thumb buttons didn't have that.

you're right but I always thought that in the middle of a heated battle, clicking down the scrollwheel would often result in scrolling either way, ending up in a stab/overhead :v: but I haven't actually tried so guess I know what I'm practising after work today :)

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Morph stab into a strike and accel it. That's pretty much all you can do. Or just keep chambering until they drop their spear.

It's hugely unfun but it is possible to beat spear spam 1v1. In Frontline you will prob just get stabbed by another dude with spear while you're trying to do it

Faffel posted:

I really dislike that chambering a spear thrust locks you into a chamber loop that will end up with one of you being hit in the head by a third party before he gets disarmed, unless you can somehow get their thrust to miss and you do a morph and they fail to avoid the morph.

Treating frontline like a series of 1v1 fights is always asking to get bashed in the head by a third party, if you can't reliably kill someone in a few seconds by getting them to gently caress up, you should disengage

I think one of the main secrets to improving is not dying, rather than focusing on how many kills you can get

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TorakFade posted:

you're right but I always thought that in the middle of a heated battle, clicking down the scrollwheel would often result in scrolling either way, ending up in a stab/overhead :v: but I haven't actually tried so guess I know what I'm practising after work today :)

I have stab bound to it (with overhead/underhead attack on scroll up/down respectively) and never had any trouble with it, for what it's worth.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

If it's a weapon you can't play well against, by whatever means, pull back to friendly lines and reengage. You aren't beholden to fight then and there.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I use the default but with underswing unbound since that’s my PTT key. I’m still topping the boards every round this way but I’ve been meaning to try out the hybrid right click for feints and parries.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oof, yaknow its probably lame but when you get bored of 'thinking' and 'timing' and 'tactics' just grab a dude in 2,2,1 with a halberd. No perks, no skills, no frills. You literally need no intelligence just throw stabs, overheads and if you get overextended whip out the horizontals till you or the enemy dies.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

I use the default but with underswing unbound since that’s my PTT key. I’m still topping the boards every round this way but I’ve been meaning to try out the hybrid right click for feints and parries.

i have overswing and underswing bound to my mousewheel

my mousewheel is broken and throws them out completely at random, which is great because it means nobody can predict them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glenn Quebec posted:

If it's a weapon you can't play well against, by whatever means, pull back to friendly lines and reengage. You aren't beholden to fight then and there.

This is why playing Brigand for a while was helpful. Big sword, big speed so you can slice a dude and book it if you're about to get mobbed.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I seem to be finding my stride with Arming Sword/Buckler. I'm still working out an armor/perk combination that feels good, but the efficient parry and speed enough to adapt to situations definitely sees me getting more kills/forcing more retreats than before.

Also, is there a way to connect by ip in this game? I can't seem to find the Goon server in the browser.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 16, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
which mode is the quickest re: earning levels/money/whatever? i want to try out All of the Stuff and make my barbie pretty

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Parachute posted:

which mode is the quickest re: earning levels/money/whatever? i want to try out All of the Stuff and make my barbie pretty

According to Reddit, Frontline; throw firepots and then heal the damage for massive points.

This is from a thread complaining about people doing this instead of helping though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Parachute posted:

it seems almost, if not completely, entirely based on the time playing the round, really. So technically longer running modes but it doesn't really matter?

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

it seems almost, if not completely, entirely based on the time playing the round, really. So technically longer running modes but it doesn't really matter?

I've noticed some big 64 player horde servers where there are just too many people for you to lose, and they don't seem to mind much if you go afk. I didn't go afk in them personally, instead I just dicked around, but still.

Mystery Machine fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 16, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
thanks for the info. i had to leave the first and only game i got to play last night so i dont think i got anything for that time spent in game but i havent checked yet.

i'm definitely thinking about trying a hybrid setup with a few mouse buttons bound to directional attacks, but im wondering how do you bind parry & feint to RMB - is one of them an "alt + RMB"? also what mouse sensitivity are yall using?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Right mouse should always be parry/feint. Side mouse buttons should be for tricky to do attacks, I have a side mouse buttons for stabbing and underhand. Scroll up is overhand left and scroll down is overhand right. Q is kick.

If I mained stabbing weapons I would bind stab to left mouse button and swinging to scroll wheel.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Parachute posted:

thanks for the info. i had to leave the first and only game i got to play last night so i dont think i got anything for that time spent in game but i havent checked yet.

i'm definitely thinking about trying a hybrid setup with a few mouse buttons bound to directional attacks, but im wondering how do you bind parry & feint to RMB - is one of them an "alt + RMB"? also what mouse sensitivity are yall using?

There's a keybind on the list which is literally called "parry or feint."

e: the downside is, if you want to cancel an attack into a parry, you have to click twice and it charges you the stamina for the feint. I use it but it's dumb that it works this way.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 16, 2019

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I've become a bit of a sweaty tryhard in this game already so I can help a bit. I wouldn't say the trick is as much about reacting to the grunt but rather parrying at the latest possible moment. If you see someone gearing up to attack but their weapon is considerably far from you, you don't need to parry immediately, because even if they do attack, their weapon will take a moment to reach you. So basically, just get used to parrying as late as possible. There are still feints that you can't react to, mostly when your opponent gets right next to you before they attack, which is when the safest move is to chamber and then cancel said chamber if the attack turns out to be a morph.

Anyway, since feints are pretty easily dealt with in Mordhau, it follows that the game is a lot more about reacting properly than Chivalry was. High level gameplay requires you to react, identify and chamber every form of attack. Chivalry was a lot more about mindgames, positioning and applying the best form of attack at the right time, due to feint being what it was. The attack recovery timings are also a lot longer in Mordhau, so there isn't much point to try to poke and zone at range. You're better off just sticking right onto your opponent when you attack, which means that tryhard level gameplay is basically two spergs standing next to each other and testing each other's reactions. The game seems mostly good for chaotic deathmatch and frontline stuff, but it holds up very poorly as a "serious" dueling game, even compared to Chivalry.

megane posted:

e: the downside is, if you want to cancel an attack into a parry, you have to click twice and it charges you the stamina for the feint. I use it but it's dumb that it works this way.

It costs the same amount regardless.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 16, 2019

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've made two basic classes for myself that I feel extremely comfortable with.

A completely heavy armored unit with a bilihook (I switch it up with a longsword every once in a while)

And a lightly armored unit with a crossbow and arming sword (or just a longbow, with scavenger and I snag what weapons I find)

I'm glad the dev team is intuitive enough to see where changes are needed. I'm hoping they're working on a new map for Frontline though. I played MWO so I'm use to a limited map rotation. But 4 maps is a few too little.

A night time map would be kickin' rad too. Imagine them catapults launching burning payloads over a battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Minorkos posted:

It costs the same amount regardless.

Oh, I didn't know that. My mistake.