Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sarcasm aside, what do you think the chances of SNES games for Online getting announced at E3?

It better be announced with legend of the seven stars as the first game and a full sequel teaser for 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It better be announced with legend of the seven stars as the first game and a full sequel teaser for 2020.

I’d poo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I thought I was the only person in the world that wanted this...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

So... Accurate?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The SNES background has SNES era music 1/5 :arghfist::saddowns:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Motto posted:

It's a pretty good classic megaman if you like those. It's biggest issue is that stages can feel too long and checkpoints too sparse on normal, followed by a pretty short fortress.

I do like classic Mega Man... think I’ll get it, thanks

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sarcasm aside, what do you think the chances of SNES games for Online getting announced at E3?

Bowser pops in for one last message before the Direct ends:

"Also SNES games are live at this very moment, including Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, and F-Zero. Good luck getting them downloaded, lmao."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fuuuuck my wallet!

Monster Hunter GU is on sale for half off until the 23rd. Have to get it now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

bushisms.txt posted:

Fuuuuck my wallet!

Its a lot of #content at least

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the criticism that the stages are too long in mega man 11 is wrong. They are the same length they always have been, they just take longer because you haven't memorized them.

My main complaint about the game is the fortress is the shortest in the series and there's only one.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 16, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bushisms.txt posted:

Fuuuuck my wallet!

gently caress yeah! And don't forget you can play as a cat. This is an important feature absent from other games and should definitely be experienced.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bushisms.txt posted:

Fuuuuck my wallet!

Goddamn that's tempting but can I go back to the old games after World?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Len posted:

You may

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Just as a heads up, on the EU store the stylus only seems to be a bonus for the Mario Maker bundle (with the 12 months online) which is not part of the voucher program.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I guess this is more of a 3DS question, but I am playing through the Phoenix Wright trilogy on Switch right now and I see all the 3DS games just went on sale for super cheap. Are all of them worth it? I feel like I've heard Apollo Justice isn't as good...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Len posted:

Honestly, having played a poo poo-ton of both, ultimately I prefer GenU to World.

World is every inch the "modern" Monster Hunter game and I greatly appreciate its efforts to trim out a bunch of the stupid poo poo and drag the series kicking and screaming into the modern era. But there are a couple things about it that fall short.

It has poor monster variety and especially end-game monster variety. In World, you end up fighting the same half a dozen or so monsters over and over. GU offers a lot more variety in end-game challenges.

The equipment aesthetics suck. The weapons are all boring and samey and mostly monster bits glued onto a basic weapon.

And lastly is my personal gripe: no Prowler mode. And hey to anyone thinking of going to GU after World: Prowler mode is actually a really good way to ease into, or back into, classic style Monster Hunter. Prowlers don't need pickaxes or bug nets, they don't need hot or cool drinks, and they can automatically track any large monsters on the map.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Len posted:

Yeah, just think of it as the analog to world's digital. Everything is functionally the same, you just have to do a bit more to do certain things, but it's satisfying in it's own way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is no chance I'm ever touching an old MH game after world

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Bowser pops in for one last message before the Direct ends:

"Also SNES games are live at this very moment, including Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, and F-Zero. Good luck getting them downloaded, lmao."

Zero chance we get Chrono Trigger or FF6 on a free monthly Nintendo service when Squeenix can still sell them for like 10 bux a pop on phones. Just emulate those games because the new translations+graphix for the ports are abhorrent; Squeenix is incapable of porting things without wrecking them.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

gently caress yeah! And don't forget you can play as a cat. This is an important feature absent from other games and should definitely be experienced.

I was just thinking about putting it off, but this has me buying the game.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The sax sounded like a 2 dollar casio keyboard cranked to max volume

Really? That bit in particular sounded great to me. Especially with the bongos and marimbas in the background. Lo-fi spc samples are super rich and charming.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DLC Inc posted:

Zero chance we get Chrono Trigger or FF6 on a free monthly Nintendo service when Squeenix can still sell them for like 10 bux a pop on phones. Just emulate those games because the new translations+graphix for the ports are abhorrent; Squeenix is incapable of porting things without wrecking them.

The CT port got fixed and is good now (on pc at least)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Fuuuuck my wallet!

:getin:

Len posted:

I'll allow it

really though, I started with the old games so I'm not really qualified to say how easy it is to go back to them from World but I do feel like ultimately they're still very similar. World did bring a long a lot of quality of life, but the general gameplay and gameplay loop remains the same in all of the games so I can't imagine it's that difficult.

It also can't be overstated how crammed with stuff MHGU is. It's the culmination of 4 generations of monhun games and there are so many locations, monsters, weapons and fashion that you'll play for hundreds of hours and still only see part of it. And you can play as a cat. The biggest downside to MHGU in my opinion is that they for some godforsaken reason (it's nostalgia) decided to include all the lovely 1st gen monsters rather than their much better, much more fun 3rd gen counterparts like the dromes and -ggis.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I tried the GU demo and really wanted to like it since I definitely agree that World has way too few monsters and I crave more. But it's just too clunky, I can't do it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
fwiw the demos are trash, don't play the demos

e: and this is a problem with monhun in general, to be honest. The demos (all of them) are super bad and not representative of the game at all, which means you gotta buy it to really experience the game.. and even then it takes several hours of investment before you get a feel for whether you like the game or not. And not everyone does.

Len posted:

I can import my MHG to GU right? Because that might be a deal breaker
yeah, you can import your Generations save

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm really eager to see what Iceborne brings to the table given that it allegedly doubles the amount of content in World and the new ice area is the largest area in the game. For a $40 DLC expansion it drat well better!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ItBreathes posted:

Funnily enough I hooked up my WiiU last night to play some RE4 and 55" 4k TV's aren't kind to either 480i or Wii aiming. A trifecta of excellent games though, and cell shading means Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 upscale very well, given the right tools.

Can you even run the game in 480i?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

You can!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

robot roll call posted:

I guess this is more of a 3DS question, but I am playing through the Phoenix Wright trilogy on Switch right now and I see all the 3DS games just went on sale for super cheap. Are all of them worth it? I feel like I've heard Apollo Justice isn't as good...

Apollo Justice isn't as good and (personally) i think Dual Destinies oversimplifies a bit much but you should still get them all

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Len posted:

Isn't half this list ports of WiiU games?

4 of those 6 games are Wii U ports; only Kirby: Star Allies and SSBU aren't.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 16, 2019

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Your Computer posted:

fwiw the demos are trash, don't play the demos

e: and this is a problem with monhun in general, to be honest. The demos (all of them) are super bad and not representative of the game at all, which means you gotta buy it to really experience the game.. and even then it takes several hours of investment before you get a feel for whether you like the game or not. And not everyone does.

I must reiterate that the demo are garbage. They're pretty much E3 floor demos thrown on the eShop. You have set (underpowered) gear, half the usual hunt time, barely any explanation of how to do anything, and has absolutely none of the neat stuff outside of the hunts. They're not representative of the gameplay loop and all the charm and fun that these games have.

quote:

yeah, you can import your Generations save

A big note for this part though. The import function copies your entire set of saves from Gen to GenU. Anything existing on GenU is overwritten, so if you're gonna do it, do it first. I didn't bother, as I like starting fresh, and it'd been so long that I forgot everything anyway. Trying to leap right into G-Rank would've been a disaster.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

robot roll call posted:

People didn't like Apollo Justice because it was a big change. All of a sudden you're playing a new character, and the character you played as for three games is getting kicked around and you can't do anything about it.

The gameplay is solid, and every case has the extra DS exclusive stuff from case 1-5. Going back after 5 and 6, even the big story complaints aren't really that bad. It all makes sense eventually.

At its worst, it's still a much better game than Phoenix Wright 2

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 16, 2019

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

RandomFerret posted:

At its worst, it's still a much better game than Phoenix Wright 2

I just started 2! Is that considered to be the low point or something?

Anyways I went ahead and bought all 3, looks like I have another trilogy to play after I finish this one!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
There isn't really a low point, the whole series is good but some are just even better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ziddar posted:

I must reiterate that the demo are garbage. They're pretty much E3 floor demos thrown on the eShop. You have set (underpowered) gear, half the usual hunt time, barely any explanation of how to do anything, and has absolutely none of the neat stuff outside of the hunts. They're not representative of the gameplay loop and all the charm and fun that these games have.

A big note for this part though. The import function copies your entire set of saves from Gen to GenU. Anything existing on GenU is overwritten, so if you're gonna do it, do it first. I didn't bother, as I like starting fresh, and it'd been so long that I forgot everything anyway. Trying to leap right into G-Rank would've been a disaster.
"Barely" :shepicide: It also doesn't do a good job of showing off the monsters, as it does the same thing all the demos (and the in-game tutorials) do which is put a raptor as the "easy" monster. I like the Great Maccao, but it sure isn't a good tutorial monster when you're trying to wrap your head around the game. You already made the perfect tutorial monster with Arzuros damnit!

I didn't know that about the save transfer though, that's good to know. I started a new save despite spending a bunch of time playing MHXX. My top two Switch games are still MHXX and MHGU at several hundred hours each :negative:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’ve never played a MH game before and I didn’t like (or understand) it when I tried the demo. But I picked it up on a whim after completing dark souls remastered. It took a couple of hours of playing and reading up on all the different mechanics but I am just totally in love with it now. So many different weapons, styles, armors and monsters, I up to almost 35 hours now and I think I’ve hardly scratched the surface.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd be fine with Nintendo not bring an SNES game service to Nintendo Online if they made more goddamn SNES Classics.

Also, obligatory "announce Mother 3 you fucks" post.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

:siren: Mario + Rabbids Gold is only $26 :siren:

:siren: Where? :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Only MH game I've ever played was on the PSP back in like 2005 or 2006. I hated it. Regretted it within the first three hours.

That said World is on Xbox Gamepass so I made an appointment with a buddy of mine so he can show me around the gameworld.

I'm loving Dragon's Dogma and have been told (from this thread) that the two games share similar combat styles?