Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brother Entropy posted:

nah, we're gonna be hearing about dany for years now after that last episode and we will all lust for death

I mean at least it’s actually a book about politics, even if that fact seems lost on a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Our tax forms come with very detailed instructions that you follow along while filling out, so I never felt a seething rage that my school let me down by not teaching me how to follow them.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ghost emoji posted:

I'm begging you please read another book

I see we've reached the "nobody's allowed to mention Harry Potter at any time for any reason" phase of this stupid meme.

Anyway, re: financial literacy in schools, this story showed up in the local news this week:

quote:

Flo Falatko’s fifth-graders at Cromwell Valley Elementary School have already learned how to trade in stocks and balance portfolios. Now this week, after the “Today” show airs on NBC Thursday morning, some of her students are set to make it on national television before reaching middle school.

“They felt like they were rock stars, and they are rock stars,” said Falatko, a math teacher at the magnet school in Towson. “They just made me so proud with their sharing and their honesty.”

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think it's cool that Fantastic Beasts has an autistic main character to be honest.

It is also cool that Eddie Redmayne is a very attractive person. Thanks for that, movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Picnic Princess posted:

Our tax forms come with very detailed instructions that you follow along while filling out, so I never felt a seething rage that my school let me down by not teaching me how to follow them.

Because there's literally no good reason you should have to do any of it. For the vast majority of taxpayers the government already has all of the information they need to know whether you owe more in taxes or are owed money back and they should just tell you, and if you disagree with that conclusion, then you can file your own taxes. Otherwise I should just get a check or a bill every year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Because there's literally no good reason you should have to do any of it. For the vast majority of taxpayers the government already has all of the information they need to know whether you owe more in taxes or are owed money back and they should just tell you, and if you disagree with that conclusion, then you can file your own taxes. Otherwise I should just get a check or a bill every year.

Thanks tax services industry! Also Republicans want it to be a pain in the rear end so it makes people hate taxes more.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Picnic Princess posted:

I've never filed my taxes while sober and have never screwed them up.
Most Americans are just dumb as a bag of hammers so gently caress 'em.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Besesoth posted:

I see we've reached the "nobody's allowed to mention Harry Potter at any time for any reason" phase of this stupid meme.

There's mentioning Harry Potter, and there's shoehorning everything in the world into a Harry Potter mold in the cringiest, least elegant way possible.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Brawnfire posted:

There's mentioning Harry Potter, and there's shoehorning everything in the world into a Harry Potter mold in the cringiest, least elegant way possible.

:emptyquote:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the us tax system is also completely stuffed with exceptions, withholdings, loopholes, etc.

if you're a regular employee with a single W-2 form and no goofy complications it takes like ten minutes to do your taxes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

America should simplify the tax process

Boom you’re welcome everyone

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Picnic Princess posted:

I never understood the outrage because that's the technique I developed in my head as long as I can remember.

This, exactly. And echoing other posters, I didn't even know that it was precisely how common core was teaching my kids until I saw something outside of rote memorization that forced me to walk through it. Is this not something that everyone just does without realizing? I'm p good with maths, so I don't know if it's just the way I think about numbers or just that there's a vocal minority of grown rear end people who are just bad at [thinking about how they are] adding things.

Handiklap has a new favorite as of 21:38 on May 16, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1129118533659574272

Dude owns

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

I have a woefully poor understanding of women's health, but don't most women lose their hymen from things other than sex?

The hymen is just a ring of tissue that results from cells bunching when the vaginal cavity is completed. Because we're lovely as a culture about women's comfort and health, it's commonly assumed that a hymen must be torn open and a woman must bleed as part of penetration. But it can just not be that tight, or get stretched out by physical activity, or deliberately loosened as part of masturbation or sex. The only way anyone loses a hymen is vaginal childbirth ripping it out.

Handiklap posted:

This, exactly. And echoing other posters, I didn't even know that it was precisely how common core was teaching my kids until I saw something outside of rote memorization that forced me to walk through it. Is this not something that everyone just does without realizing? I'm p good with maths, so I don't know if it's just the way I think about numbers or just that there's a vocal minority of grown rear end people who are just bad at [thinking about how they are] adding things.

Yes, there are people who just don't have good number sense, if not outright dyscalculia, and there are people who just have really great memories and learning poo poo by rote is their default for everything. But there are a lot of people who have decent to good number sense, enough to come up with their own tricks for calculating tips or percentages, but they don't connect that process to the very basic arithmetic their kids are learning.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 21:58 on May 16, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

oldpainless posted:

So you’re saying we should have a flat sales tax and nothing else? That’d be simple, right?

I remember when Isaac Asimov had Hari Seldon manipulate the government into imposing a flat tax to cause a riot and get the governor deposed. In real life, close to half the population would cheer about it being common sense that would prevent those illegals from cheating.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Brawnfire posted:

Legit. Attenborough has been a global TV personality for over half a century. He's already a ubiquitous part of pop culture. It's entirely possible to enjoy and appreciate his existence without turning him into yet another Harry Potter reference.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jurgan posted:

So you’re saying we should have a flat sales tax and nothing else? That’d be simple, right?

Whoa there friend that sounds dangerously close to communism there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know that a flat sales tax is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think about communism

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Theres a guy who owns a juice bar near where I live and he does the same thing. But his comments are usually along the lines of "go drink dog cum, you're not attractive enough to come here anyways" or sending them links to Jordan Peterson videos.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Imagine if instead of Harry Potter, it was a brony meme, like the one about the concentration camp. Same thing, different flavor.

Leave David Attenborough alone!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah I started the Harry Potter thing with "I don't see what's so wrong, it seems like a kind of cute fanfic idea," and then hit the punchline with "OH COME THE gently caress ON!"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

Counterpoint: no they shouldn't, because the amount of schadenfreude the United "GREATEST NATION IN HUMAN HISTORY BAR NONE" States generates every April is enough to fill ten threads.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I ain't reading this guy's manifesto, but I support his cause:

https://twitter.com/william_bottini/status/1129129575856742400

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

oldpainless posted:

TurboTax will burn this country to the ground before it allows that to come to pass

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Wh...whoa

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Azzur has a new favorite as of 09:03 on May 17, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I know that a flat sales tax is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think about communism

Have you considered that taxation is theft?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Progressive tax rate starting at 70% for $100,000. Up to 120% for billionaires.

This is after we seize the means of production, mind.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Jurgan posted:

Have you considered that taxation is theft?

So is using public services and infrastructure you don't want to pay for.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

christmas boots posted:

It is? That’s a little weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Can’t we just learn everything from YouTube?

Life skills in school are obsolete.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah yes. School. Where you don’t learn how to read words and numbers. No wonder you can’t do your taxes! How is anyone supposed to understand these explicit instructions with words about where to put numbers?!?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Azzur posted:

Oh, man. I know this is from awhile back, but I knew this guy. Sorta.

Years ago when I played World of Warcraft, there was just a strange guy in our guild that everyone just called "Dragon Fucker." He would insert himself into any and all conversations and bring it around to "how great it would be to sleep with a dragon." This was back in the days that you would fight a lot of dragons in high level content, so there were certain nights where we were exposed to this for hours. The guy running the guild thought it was hilarious and most of us assumed it was a gimmick or something, so we kept him around. Even when he was caught masturbating with an open mic during one of the raids, everyone still thought it was a shtick.

This did eventually lead to people piecing together that this wasn't an act, which lead to some bullying. At the time, I thought it was going overboard (They convinced this guy to eat his own semen. Twice.), but in retrospect, maybe they stopped too soon? Christ.

Lol if you think theres only one person on the internet that wants to gently caress dragons.

There's whole communities of these wackjobs.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dialhforhero posted:

Ah yes. School. Where you don’t learn how to read words and numbers. No wonder you can’t do your taxes! How is anyone supposed to understand these explicit instructions with words about where to put numbers?!?

I am extremely good at reading and pretty good at math and IRS instructions are ridiculously convoluted if you have anything other than straight wage income.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

You don’t learn about tax brackets, what forms to file, or what counts as a deduction, taxable income, gift, etc. You know, the important parts.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

You have to know where to even start to get to that, is kind of the whole problem.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

So is using public services and infrastructure you don't want to pay for.

I have driven on several toll roads and they seem to work fine. Ergo, all infrastructure should be privatized.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/moonie_l/status/1128748497447063553?s=21

Owning the libs by posting the sexual harassment that got you chucked out of the Labour Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Captain Monkey posted:

Lol if you think theres only one person on the internet that wants to gently caress dragons.

There's whole communities of these wackjobs.

Very true! Sadly, he's got the same name and voice. Certain voices never leave your head even a decade later.