Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Man, Little Orphan Annie is like a missing tooth for these guys. They just can't stop feeling for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Let your dad be a dragonborn, Jamal. Hell, I'd say let your dad start at level 6 and use your old characters so he's not frustrated by level 1 stuff, if I didn't know manually levelling beforehand was going to take more time and be potentially frustrating.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

The Family Circus

You got me on this one.

Vargo posted:

Wallace

I swear to God I would buy a book full of comics just featuring these seagulls.

F MInus

It's unclear to me which player has the royal flush here. I thought he might be dealing Hold-Em style, so the three in the middle are for both, but then he's just dealing a hand to the cat and no one else, which throws all the math off and renders the experiment moot.

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I'm really enjoying this take on this bit.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Hey, colorist, shouldn't the pants be purple?

Pros and Cons

Retail

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think the real place where Jamal shines is how natural the dialogue feels, everyone has a real and consistent character voice. Compare that to like, Curtis, where everyone sounds like Billingsley and Billingsley doesn't sound anything like how human beings talk.

Also, I am loving this whole week of The Phantom wandering around making comments and quips about his surroundings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Vargo posted:

I think the real place where Jamal shines is how natural the dialogue feels, everyone has a real and consistent character voice. Compare that to like, Curtis, where everyone sounds like Billingsley and Billingsley doesn't sound anything like how human beings talk.

Also, I am loving this whole week of The Phantom wandering around making comments and quips about his surroundings.

The stepmom sipping her wine is something my IRL mom does, too. I love Jamal so much

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think a man crashing through a banister is not very stealthy.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 1/15/53

Mopsy 11/26/41

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

F MInus

It's unclear to me which player has the royal flush here. I thought he might be dealing Hold-Em style, so the three in the middle are for both, but then he's just dealing a hand to the cat and no one else, which throws all the math off and renders the experiment moot.

It's a weak F Minus but I think he is taking hold them literally and has them in his right hand.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That face in the last panel is how I know Tauhid is a GM in real life.

quote:

Wallace

I love this.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It's a weak F Minus but I think he is taking hold them literally and has them in his right hand.
Oh hey yeah! I thought he was in the middle of dealing the fourth card but there are two cards there!

But you're right it's a kind of weak F Minus. It would have been greatly improved if we could see the cat's expression.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
loving hell I love Jamal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

loving hell I love Jamal.

It's real good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 11/26/41

rip

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Her shoes are still on, she'll live.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Jamal's dad is basically Tyrell right now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Let your dad be a dragonborn, Jamal. Hell, I'd say let your dad start at level 6 and use your old characters so he's not frustrated by level 1 stuff, if I didn't know manually levelling beforehand was going to take more time and be potentially frustrating.

How do dragons level? I know they're NPCs, but now I'm curious whether dad being a level 1 dragon would be all that overpowered compared to the boys being level 6 PCs.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

There's more detail in the original about head cancer and how it happened on a mountaineering trip but I didn't have space to fit that in.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Next time: New adventure!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Some Guy TT posted:

How do dragons level? I know they're NPCs, but now I'm curious whether dad being a level 1 dragon would be all that overpowered compared to the boys being level 6 PCs.
Dragonborn (aka what the comic is calling dragonkin) are a PC race! They're draconic humanoids shaped and created by dragons, but aren't like, at full dragon power, so he wouldn't be OP. Looking it up, they do get cool things like elemental breath weapons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows that's how they get you.

Working Daze once again forgets to tell a joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix doxxes me.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
wtf Reed Hoover died and I'm just now finding out about it

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/03/31/reed-hoover-rip/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't know for sure about earlier editions, but at least as far as 5E D&D goes NPCs generally don't have classes or levels. A dragon just has whatever stats and abilities the GM (or monster manual) gives it. There is, of course, nothing stopping you (as DM) from letting your players play as dragons though. It's your game. You'd just need to work out how you were going to work it into your story and what effects it would have on gameplay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

in 3e you can just play as a dragon, and either pick up PC classes or grow into a bigger dragon

player character dragons range from underpowered to grossly OP

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're Not Tricks, Nekonaughey, They're Illusions

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ghostlight posted:

They're Not Tricks, Nekonaughey, They're Illusions

:3: nekonaughey is such a good friend

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (December 25, 1931)

Peanuts (May 18, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 And-Then-The-One-In-The-Glasses-Beats-Off-In-The-Bathroom Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 10, 1935)

Out Our Way (August 25-27, 1932)

Toonerville Folks (July 1-3, 1915)

Dok's poo poo-Disturbing Duck throws his hat into the ring. (July 1-2, 1912)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tunicate posted:

in 3e you can just play as a dragon, and either pick up PC classes or grow into a bigger dragon

player character dragons range from underpowered to grossly OP
To add a bit more detail to this, 3.5e was the core D&D edition with the most play-as-a-monster support that I know of. Monsters generally have hit dice (HD), the dice you roll for hit points. A monster with 12d10 hit points has 12 hit dice that are d10s each. Monsters also have something called a level adjustment (LA), which is a modifier you use if they're being used as a player character. Take for instance a young blue dragon that has two levels in fighter: young blue dragons have 12 hit dice and a +3 level adjustment, so the effective character level (ECL) would be 12 (HD) + 3 (LA) + 2 (class levels) = 17.

The weakest chromatic dragon would be a wyrmling white dragon with 3 HD and a +2 LA, making it ECL 6 with a single class level. As Tunicate said, the whole formula is pretty wonky. Some things are pathetically weak as player characters, some things end up terrifyingly strong. A wyrmling white dragon with a single class level is far weaker than a normal level 6 character on basically all metrics.

Dragonborn are just plain playable races in 3.5e/4e/5e. They're not crazily strong or weak relative to the other player races.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 17, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Monster PCs have level equivalencies

A level one dragon is like an unguarded egg or something. An hour old hatchling is probably the equal to a lv3 to 5 character (depending on dragon species)

This sort of thing varies by edition obviously

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

PetraCore posted:

I know Shauna and Lottie are extremely popular and great characters that I also love, but Mildred is and will always be my favorite Mystery Teen.
Same. It's one reason why The Case of the Fire Inside is my favorite, but I like her brand of mischief and she usually gives the most caustic burns.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

homeless guy posted:

wtf Reed Hoover died and I'm just now finding out about it

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/03/31/reed-hoover-rip/

You're a plugger if... it takes two months from your biggest fans to notice your death.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Instead of writing why don't you pick something that will make you money?" asks Les Moore, man who is only comfortably living on a teacher's salary due to the proceeds from his world-famous book about a ghost wife that was optioned multiple times and for which he wrote the screenplay.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I think a good GM would just make some house rules to let Jamal's dad enjoy the game.

Pyton

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Monster PCs have level equivalencies

A level one dragon is like an unguarded egg or something.

kobolds count as level one dragons under admiralty law

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Elysiume posted:

To add a bit more detail to this, 3.5e was the core D&D edition with the most play-as-a-monster support that I know of.

Basic had some wild poo poo, almost everything was represented in terms of character levels. if your class is skeleton, you level up into ghoul, ghost, mummy, vampire etc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet explores game theory

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

The Middletons

Reply All

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

It's always nice when the villains start to get what's coming to them.

EasyEW posted:

9 And-Then-The-One-In-The-Glasses-Beats-Off-In-The-Bathroom Lane

I'm kinda surprised the writer just had the gay couple start boning then and there rather than have them engage in pretentious :words: about wanting to gently caress first.

Also that second panel has some serious yaoi hands going in.