Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I fired someone for not using the fan in the bathroom after they poo?

get one of those bluetooth light switches so you can preëmptively turn it on when you see her get up from her desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

neither of those people are wrong.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Oh man shitcan that nanny why is it even a question

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tetramin posted:

But shes so good at ignoring our instructions!

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

MasBrillante posted:

Your family moved. That’s fine. I don’t expect families to engage; just protect their kid however they can. I just resent the suggestion that my working class parents somehow had an easier time advocating for me or that it was in any way (even legally, in the deep south, in the 90s if you know your education history) more expedient for them to do so. They didn’t. They did what they had to do. In part out of a recognition that the school should to better for students, and to help kids like you whose parents couldn’t be at the school.

Edit: there is no legal framework for racialized bullying that doesn’t include slurs. There is literally a child embattled right now for protesting the Nazi salute in her classroom. I don’t know why you would assume there was special legal protection for black children being bullied. lol. I had a target on my back because I was the easiest target with the least protection. And no social safety net of people giving a poo poo either.

I was also bullied heavily in high school and both the school and my parents did make an honest effort to stop it. All such attempts just made it worse. They stopped trying after it became apparent I couldn't even switch schools anymore because the students at other schools in the area were in on the joke. The end result was that bullying me became teenage resistance to authority, "kill yourself" became a meme, and even kids that normally wouldn't get in on it did.

Someone created a "kill yourself Xequecal" web site (super notable in 1998) and printouts were plastered around the school. One morning a student managed to read about a paragraph from this site over the PA system before they cut him off. It just got worse and worse until I withdrew from everyone and stopped reacting, after which everyone slowly lost interest and the bullying returned to the baseline level. Today with social media this would be infinitely worse and totally inescapable.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i grew up Jewish, and when I was younger I was friends with my Muslim neighbors.

Once I went over to their house and they had a new babysitter who just casually put on a VHS for us to watch about converting to Christianity.

I was little so I didn't really crasp how hosed it was, all I really remember was that they had some mnemonic device to remember the different groups they were trying to convert, I think it was T.H.U.M.B. ? where H stood for Hebrew M stood for Muslim and B stood for Buddhist or something like that

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Tetramin posted:

She's hot?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i grew up Jewish, and when I was younger I was friends with my Muslim neighbors.

Once I went over to their house and they had a new babysitter who just casually put on a VHS for us to watch about converting to Christianity.

I was little so I didn't really crasp how hosed it was, all I really remember was that they had some mnemonic device to remember the different groups they were trying to convert, I think it was T.H.U.M.B. ? where H stood for Hebrew M stood for Muslim and B stood for Buddhist or something like that

Nice of them to include Universal Unitarians.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Pretty good guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cumshitter posted:

Nice of them to include Universal Unitarians.

Nah thats a separate tape for the unconvertibles of Catholics, Unitarians, and Mithridatists

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xequecal posted:

I was also bullied heavily in high school and both the school and my parents did make an honest effort to stop it. All such attempts just made it worse. They stopped trying after it became apparent I couldn't even switch schools anymore because the students at other schools in the area were in on the joke. The end result was that bullying me became teenage resistance to authority, "kill yourself" became a meme, and even kids that normally wouldn't get in on it did.

Someone created a "kill yourself Xequecal" web site (super notable in 1998) and printouts were plastered around the school. One morning a student managed to read about a paragraph from this site over the PA system before they cut him off. It just got worse and worse until I withdrew from everyone and stopped reacting, after which everyone slowly lost interest and the bullying returned to the baseline level. Today with social media this would be infinitely worse and totally inescapable.

I believe you. Like I said, the bullying didn’t stop. But the teachers and other faculty did stop participating. And I left with the feeling my parents were my advocates, which was psychologically helpful. I left the state for college in part though because I knew it would follow me to any one of the schools due to a similarly insular town situation. I’m so sorry dude.

I quashed a lot of bullying as a teacher and that makes me feel better about it all.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Probably the old man 29 year old in me speaking here, but the non anonymous internet where everybody you post with is somebody you know irl has got to make bullying way worse for middle and high schoolers. The 10-20 year old experiences goons have are probably completely different.

This is a pretty boring derail though and I think there is a bully thread in e/n you could take this to?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xequecal posted:

bullying me became teenage resistance to authority, "kill yourself" became a meme, and even kids that normally wouldn't get in on it did.

Someone created a "kill yourself Xequecal" web site (super notable in 1998) and printouts were plastered around the school. One morning a student managed to read about a paragraph from this site over the PA system before they cut him off.

This is insane to me. Of course there were bullies when I was in school (similar timeframe) but it was always just schoolyard poo poo like pushing you over at recess or writing "so and so has a tiny dick" in the bathroom, or at worst the psychological warfare that girls get into like "you can be my friend but you can never talk to your current best friend again" poo poo. A student reading out a suicide request over the school's PA system is unimaginable.

Like, I remember one student council election assembly where one of the candidates went up and started reading a top-ten list of Reasons to Vote for Me. When she got to #5 on the list, "Jenny who?" -- Jenny being the other candidate -- the entire auditorium booed her off stage. Maybe that only happens in Canada.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetramin posted:

Probably the old man 29 year old in me speaking here, but the non anonymous internet where everybody you post with is somebody you know irl has got to make bullying way worse for middle and high schoolers. The 10-20 year old experiences goons have are probably completely different.

This is a pretty boring derail though and I think there is a bully thread in e/n you could take this to?

If you are in a small town it’s the same. Also, people who weren’t bullied have no idea what bullying was like 20 years ago. You’re just repeating the same “common wisdom” that was used to ignore systemic torment back then.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

This is insane to me. Of course there were bullies when I was in school (similar timeframe) but it was always just schoolyard poo poo like pushing you over at recess or writing "so and so has a tiny dick" in the bathroom, or at worst the psychological warfare that girls get into like "you can be my friend but you can never talk to your current best friend again" poo poo. A student reading out a suicide request over the school's PA system is unimaginable.

Like, I remember one student council election assembly where one of the candidates went up and started reading a top-ten list of Reasons to Vote for Me. When she got to #5 on the list, "Jenny who?" -- Jenny being the other candidate -- the entire auditorium booed her off stage. Maybe that only happens in Canada.

It is imaginable to me but I don’t feel like rehashing specific experiences. That’s why I started by validating that experience. You don’t need the internet for poo poo like that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What were the T and U though??

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [23F] with my bf[23M]...I get anxious in/am scared of landlocked states/cities?

quote:

This is mostly a personal problem and not really a him problem. Been with my bf for the past 6 months, but I've known him since high school and we've always been close (just didn't really have a label until recently). Everything's good, I love him, there aren't any problems, yada yada.

He recently got an offer in decent city in a landlocked state in Midwest US, and he hates the area where we live so he plans on moving there. He's worried about leaving me behind and long distance isn't ideal for either one of us. We both currently live in a large city on the coast (this is important). So the options are really break up or go to that landlocked state. It's an alright city, growing and a lot cheaper than the area we currently live in (though also smaller by population and jobs I believe).

Now the thing is, I feel extremely weird about living in a landlocked state. I grew up in Asia in a very large city on the coast. When my parents moved to the US, we moved to a fairly large city and expensive city on the coast. When I went to college, I moved to one of the largest cities in the US, that's also on the coast. After I finished college, I lived with a few friends in the mountains for about a year. However, this state is not landlocked, but we were pretty far into the state (no ocean nearby). So, think something like Raleigh, NC (North Carolina has a sizable coastline but Raleigh itself is pretty far into the state). Now I live in a populated, decent city on the coast again.

Basically, I've always lived on the coast.

My boyfriend really wants me to come with him and though he won't force me or ask me to move, I can tell and he's been implying it. I don't want to break up and I have no problems with living in my current city (it's getting a bit stale), but I'm somewhat scared(?) about living in a landlocked state. It's honestly just bizarre; I've googled if anybody else has this irrational fear of being landlocked and I can't really find anything. I don't mind being in a landlocked city or state (I've visited various landlocked cities and countries before) but the thought of living in one just makes me uncomfortable. The only thing I can really chalk it up to is that there are less trade routes and resources in a landlocked area and if a country was landlocked there would be a problem in war if there was a siege or cutting of resources. But seriously, it doesn't matter in this day and age since Geneva is in Switzerland, which is landlocked. Munich is landlocked. Heck, this shouldn't even matter in the US since it borders two oceans and it's not like a one state would set up blockades on another state... I can't rationalize this and I know it doesn't matter and I honestly don't know what to do.thoughmaybeImayhaveplayedtoomuchofacertainstrategygameinmyformativeyearsmaybeIlikeseafoodtoomuchhelp

Sorry this is a really weird problem.

TLDR: I'm a weirdo and have an irrational fear of being landlocked. Where did this come from, what do i do, how do I get over this. Sorry it got weird and ranty, I'm really frustrated with myself and the inability to feel rationally about this. I don't even like beaches lol

To clarify, I don't mind living in a state as long as it's on the coast, but I sincerely prefer living in a city that's on the coast. Landlocked states are a big no-no (e.g. Bay area is great, Austin would be okay, Denver is scary). Some cities if close to coast would be okay (like Philly even though PA is landlocked).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Haifisch posted:

Me [23F] with my bf[23M]...I get anxious in/am scared of landlocked states/cities?

Dear Reddit, UPDATE: Welp the bf just got a job offer in Uzbekistan and

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Grape posted:

What were the T and U though??

I just looked it up. Looks like I was wrong about the Hebrew part:

Tribal
Hindu
Unreligious (Chinese!?)
Muslim
Buddhist

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just looked it up. Looks like I was wrong about the Hebrew part:

Tribal
Hindu
Unreligious (Chinese!?)
Muslim
Buddhist

lol this made my day.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

if I can't be on a beach in a ~2 hour drive I'm upset so I'm with landlocked girl

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Grape posted:

Dear Reddit, UPDATE: Welp the bf just got a job offer in Uzbekistan and

For her sake I hope she never ends up in Lesotho!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Geneva is in Switzerland, therefore landlocked cities aren't as susceptible to a siege. Thinking about those trade routes....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Schools will go to incredible lengths to ignore bullying, especially that of vulnerable, minority and disabled students. The only reliable option is going scorched earth in every sense.

Iirc school shooters are more likely to be the bullies than the victims, who usually just commit suicide.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
WIBTA for being upset at my Dad for dating my GF's best friend?

quote:

Throwaway since some people know my real account.

I have been dating my (M25) GF (F26) for about 5 months now. Things have been getting serious and we have talked about moving in together by the end of the year. We've met each other's parents and friends and all enjoy hanging out together. Her dad and my dad enjoy drinking/partying as much as our friend group so they sometimes come out with us to bars.

Around two or three weeks ago, things started to get weird between my dad (M49) and my GF's best friend (F25). There were obvious signs of flirting. One night, my GF's friend was supposed to stay at my place overnight after drinking (my gf stayed over as well) but ended up leaving and not coming back until the morning. After mentioning to my GF multiple times that things seemed weird, she told me that my dad and her friend had been hooking up and going on dates. She said she knew for about a week but said my dad insisted he be the one to tell me. She felt bad because it should have come from him but felt like they never would have told me.

My GF is as uncomfortable as I am about the situation and I'm debating having a conversation with my dad about how I feel it is inappropriate and weird. I also feel like I shouldn't be the one to get in between people's relationships but their relationship has started to make social situations awkward with our friend groups.

So the question is, WIBTA for telling my dad that I'm uncomfortable with his relationship with my GF's friend?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

big trivia FAIL posted:

if I can't be on a beach in a ~2 hour drive I'm upset so I'm with landlocked girl

That is exactly what I have said in the past and I'm with landlocked girl too. It doesn't help that the landlocked states have fuckall to do.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
And here we were only a few pages ago saying that mermaids ain't real.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Haifisch posted:

On the one hand, the fact is if you live too far inland there’s a lot of seafood you just can’t get, and that can along with other factors can be a significant lifestyle/cultural difference.

On the other hand, this woman is clearly insane and she knows it, and is basically asking for someone to tell her so.

ad090 posted:

WIBTA for being upset at my Dad for dating my GF's best friend?

Seems like we’ve had a good number lately where the age difference alone gives me the shudders.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 17, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

And here we were only a few pages ago saying that mermaids ain't real.

Discovery channel aired a fake documentary about mermaids like a decade ago and I had people come into the office amazed that Discovery was the first network to ever record mermaids on film

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [25F] sister [25F] is teaching the kid of a NFL player. My boyfriend [26M] is being creepy and borderline begging her to befriend the father.

My sister is a teacher at a private school. She's teaching the son of an NFL player. I'm not going to say who it is. She's met this guy at a parent/teacher night, and spoke to him briefly. I don't want to put too much detail, and I'm being careful of what I say for obvious reasons of anonymity. so this will be short.

My boyfriend is in love with the team this guy plays for. He's been begging my sister to become friends with the father to get to talk to him. He keeps bringing it up about how we have in to talk to NFL players. How do I get him to stop bringing this up every second day?

TL;DR: Boyfriend thinks that because my sister teaches the son of a NFL player, he has an in to be friends with said NFL player.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

being frightened by the idea of a landlocked city having insufficient trade routes is some mega weird poo poo but i think wanting to live near some significant body of water is natural. civilization always follows the water.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Haifisch posted:

Those are good instincts. Wish him well on his journey and hit the dating pool

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling a female coworker I can tell she’s been working out?

Have this coworker, well call Hannah(obviously not her real name). Anyways she’s been hitting the gym real hard. She’s really into heath and fitness, but over the holidays, kinda stopped. She really went all in back in February.

So a few months down the road, and you can tell she’s really been at it. She’s got increased muscle definition and lost some body fat.

So anyways I told her, wow you’re really starting to show some progress! You must be working really hard. I wish I had that dedication. She thanked me, and I thought that was the end of it. But later I overheard her telling another coworker I was creeping in her and objectifying her. Definitely was not my intent. AITA?

Edit: just some info, Hannah and I talk about health and fitness regularly. It’s one of pretty much the only common interest we share, so this wasn’t totally out of the blue

And yes I would say this to a man, and I have. I appreciate people who are making progress on their fitness goals, and think they should know that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've grown up and lived my whole life on an island so I also feel weird not being near the sea. It's like having an aisle seat on the planet?

My wife's from Moscow and Kiev so she never understood that feeling, but after living here for years she now practically runs to the ocean when ever she gets back from visiting her family saying "I need the ocean!" and associates the smell of the ocean with home, so I guess it's addictive?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress Your Website posted:

Seems like we’ve had a good number lately where the age difference alone gives me the shudders.
There are so many of these that it's a running joke between my girlfriend and I (age difference four months).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I've grown up and lived my whole life on an island so I also feel weird not being near the sea. It's like having an aisle seat on the planet?
I dislike being in really flat areas because I've lived near mountains my entire life. It's all been hills and valleys.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA Going on a “pancake strike” to get back at my wife?

My wife and I have been married for over 10 years, together close to 15. We have several children.

Ever since we moved in together I have made her (and eventually our kids when we were blessed with them) pancakes every Saturday morning. The only time I’ve not done so is when I’ve been seriously sick or away on business. I’ll wake up at 7 and make a big pancake breakfast, honey roasted nuts, bacon etc. My father did the same thing and so it’s kind of a family tradition in some sense (not really though as my siblings have not carried it on).

About 1-2 weeks ago my wife told me that she would be going on a “sex strike” that her feminist-mom group was organising (a Facebook group where moms get together to promote feminism/organise protests).

Now I’ve never been a political person. I just want to live a happy life with my family and nothing more, but I try to be supportive of my wife since this stuff is important to her, and I’m not informed on any of this political stuff.

But this just seemed wrong to me. Ofcourse she’s not obligated to have sex with me, but it seemed like she is trying to punish me for something I haven’t done. It really sat wrong with me. After a few days I asked if the sex strike was still something she wanted to do, and she reaffirmed so.

My response was to go on pancake strike. For the first time in our entire marriage (absent sickness or being away) my family did not awake to pancakes. They were very upset.

On the surface I think I haven’t done anything wrong. But on further reflection I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because:

Not supporting something that’s important to my wife

Ruining a pseudo family tradition

Punishing my kids to get back at my wife

The judgement given here will determine whether my family wakes up to pancakes tomorrow. I will not contest or argue with anyone’s points.

Thank you

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [25F] sister [25F] is teaching the kid of a NFL player. My boyfriend [26M] is being creepy and borderline begging her to befriend the father.

don't let your kids get close to t*m br*dy

Baronjutter posted:

i grew up in hawaii and idgaf about the shoreline. i can take it or leave it

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

AITA for not wanting my twins to bathe together anymore?

quote:

So let me just say, I love my son and daughter dearly. They've been a blessing on the lives of my wife and I, and I thank God for them every day. When we first had them, we bathed them at the same time just to save time and because it's easier to keep an eye on them if they're in the same place. But they're about to hit puberty (Just turned11 last month) and I don't think they should be doing it anymore. It's not normal for pubescent children to bathe together, even twins. When I was younger I never saw my siblings naked, and I thinkthat's the way it should be. It's not just this, though. They're very close. They hang out all the time at home, in each other's rooms. They hug all the time and they hold hands in public.

I brought it up with my wife, and she disagreed. She says they've been doing it their whole life, they're just kids, etc, what's the problem with it? She says it's wrong for me to sexualize them in the first place, since they're just kids and they're siblings. What do you think? Am I just being a prude?

Edit: A couple people have gotten the idea in their heads that we're still bathing them. That would be ridiculous. They bathe together by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The judgement given here will determine whether my family wakes up to pancakes tomorrow. I will not contest or argue with anyone’s points.

Thank you

I’ve never... felt... so much POWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRR!