Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

chitoryu12 posted:

You don’t learn about tax brackets, what forms to file, or what counts as a deduction, taxable income, gift, etc. You know, the important parts.
If only you could file it online, for free, with easy explanations of what each tax rule means and whether you can claim the deduction (and it automatically filling in income and tax payable based on tax records that the government already has). Guess you can thank TurboTax for that.

Cause it takes me 5 minutes to do my tax online. 15 minutes if I have any deductions, and that's time spent finding my receipts and typing the numbers in. :australia:

Obviously if you have complicated circumstances it'd take longer, but for the vast majority of people that just earn an income and have few deductions, it shouldn't be as hard as it is in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Handiklap posted:

This, exactly. And echoing other posters, I didn't even know that it was precisely how common core was teaching my kids until I saw something outside of rote memorization that forced me to walk through it. Is this not something that everyone just does without realizing?

Tiggum posted:

The bit I remember was people who learned that method going "it's just the same way everyone naturally does it in their head anyway" and people who didn't learn that way going "no it isn't". I don't know whether any particular way of learning arithmetic is better than any other but the usual "it's more intuitive the way I learned it" always seems to come down to people not realising that they've just internalised a particular learned method.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dialhforhero posted:

Ah yes. School. Where you don’t learn how to read words and numbers. No wonder you can’t do your taxes! How is anyone supposed to understand these explicit instructions with words about where to put numbers?!?

The trouble is that there's really no way to practice doing your taxes, or to check your return against an "answer key" once you're done to see if you've done it correctly, other than sending the thing in for real and hoping for the best. And if you get things sufficiently wrong, you're well and truly boned.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Our tax forms come with very detailed instructions that you follow along while filling out, so I never felt a seething rage that my school let me down by not teaching me how to follow them.

I was psyching myself up to do my taxes then Canada Revenue sent me a letter that was like "hi phone us and do your taxes in 10 minutes if none of this has changed." So I did. And then I got my rebate like a week later. Yay.

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/moonie_l/status/1128748497447063553?s=21

Owning the libs by posting the sexual harassment that got you chucked out of the Labour Party.

on the other side of government stuff, I am engaged in a slow battle with Cancer Care Ontario who somehow cottoned on to me being a woman (or a TIM, to use the tweet in question's language) with a vagina extremely fast and really really really want me to get a pap smear. Which apparently I do have to do after SRS, but a year after surgery, not three months. Please slow your roll. I promise I am taking care of my health.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 03:13 on May 17, 2019

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am extremely good at reading and pretty good at math and IRS instructions are ridiculously convoluted if you have anything other than straight wage income.
Fire the people who write ta form instructions and replace them with the people who write Ikea instructions. Throw a brick through the window of your local TurboTax.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powered Descent posted:

The trouble is that there's really no way to practice doing your taxes, or to check your return against an "answer key" once you're done to see if you've done it correctly, other than sending the thing in for real and hoping for the best. And if you get things sufficiently wrong, you're well and truly boned.

It's called having the reading comprehension and math skills of a fifth grader.
Unless you have a shitton of investments and make six figures a year or more the IRS doesn't give a poo poo about some fudge factor on your return if you're selling shoes or pumping gas for a living.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/racism-by-the-numbers-how-the-internal-revenue-service-1833953342/amp

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Croatoan posted:

In all fairness we really should have a class that teaches kids how to open a bank account, balance a budget, do their taxes. poo poo like that sometimes never gets taught to kids because the parents just expect you to pick it up by osmosis. Home ec I is still basically teaching you how to make biscuits or cookies and it's not a mandatory class. Skip the cookies and teach the basics of money management and hopefully it'd prevent a bunch of stupid mistakes people make early on in life.

The lesson my dad gave me on doing taxes is 'call an accountant and tell them you need your taxes prepared.'

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 04:14 on May 17, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Azzur posted:

Oh, man. I know this is from awhile back, but I knew this guy. Sorta.

Years ago when I played World of Warcraft, there was just a strange guy in our guild that everyone just called "Dragon Fucker." He would insert himself into any and all conversations and bring it around to "how great it would be to sleep with a dragon." This was back in the days that you would fight a lot of dragons in high level content, so there were certain nights where we were exposed to this for hours. The guy running the guild thought it was hilarious and most of us assumed it was a gimmick or something, so we kept him around. Even when he was caught masturbating with an open mic during one of the raids, everyone still thought it was a shtick.

This did eventually lead to people piecing together that this wasn't an act, which lead to some bullying. At the time, I thought it was going overboard (They convinced this guy to eat his own semen. Twice.), but in retrospect, maybe they stopped too soon? Christ.

"wanting to gently caress dragons" has a lot less to do with what's wrong with this guy than does "being sexually bullied by people over the internet"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been going back and forth with a relative on FB all day about why anti-abortion legislation is A Bad Thing and why it's not actually about "saving babies."
It's me. I'm the ISOM for touching the poop.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Azzur posted:

This did eventually lead to people piecing together that this wasn't an act, which lead to some bullying. At the time, I thought it was going overboard (They convinced this guy to eat his own semen. Twice.), but in retrospect, maybe they stopped too soon? Christ.

Generally speaking, bullying isn't known for causing mentally healthy people with well-adjusted personalities.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, that anecdote doesn't make you come across as the hero here.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/DTru1222/status/1129029137178472449

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

its all nice on rice posted:

I've been going back and forth with a relative on FB all day about why anti-abortion legislation is A Bad Thing and why it's not actually about "saving babies."
It's me. I'm the ISOM for touching the poop.
Find some information about Republicans' views of embryos held by fertility clinics.

Haven't seen this yet on the thread. Over the weekend, a socialite in Saratoga Springs called the police and filed a report because two young women stole from her. What did they steal? Two tulips from her garden.

There's nothing in the article that doesn't make me sympathetic to the two tulip thieves.

quote:

The Saratoga Springs tulip caper has finally ended.

Socialite Michele Riggi posted on Facebook Tuesday that the two young women who allegedly had taken the flowers from the ground near her lamppost had returned them with an apology note and the Saratoga police officers had delivered them to her.

Their excuse for the deed was that they thought the flowers were pretty and wanted them for Mother's Day.

Riggi wasn't buying it.

"They stole them at 8:15 Mother's Day night!!!My children sent me my Mother's Day flowers the day before Mother's Day and brought them to me on Mother's Day I highly doubt they were going to see their mother at 8:30 Mother's Day night.Pathetic just pathetic!" she wrote on Facebook.

Their excuse for the deed was that they thought the flowers were pretty and wanted them for Mother's Day.

Riggi wasn't buying it.

"They stole them at 8:15 Mother's Day night!!!My children sent me my Mother's Day flowers the day before Mother's Day and brought them to me on Mother's Day I highly doubt they were going to see their mother at 8:30 Mother's Day night.Pathetic just pathetic!" she wrote on Facebook.

Riggi added that she was still seeking revenge against the duo, saying it was the last straw in a series of perfidious pilfering by Skidmore College students from her mansion, which she calls Palazzo Riggi.

"I'm not done with them yet they are totally going to have to pay for what they did one way or the other .. this time I'm fed up and they're going to have to answer to me!!!"

Riggi's reaction inspired someone to create gofundme page to raise $10 to replace the two flowers. Using the hashtag #RiggiStrong, the tongue-in-cheek fundraiser notes "Palazzo Riggi is barren without these two beautiful tulips, but you can help." The effort promises that any excess money would be donated to the Skidmore Scholarship Fund.

It's unclear what actions Riggi expects to take. It is also not clear why she suspects the flower thieves are from the nearby college.

She added that she was disappointed that the college did not do more in the aftermath of the stunning act.

"And it would've been really nice if the head of Skidmore reached out to me with an apology for this nonsense for their children at their highfalutin school to be doing this to residence on their street of the college!" she wrote.

Riggi, the director of the National Museum of Dance, enlisted her social media followers to help track down the sticky-fingered students.

That included a former star of the "Dog the Bounty Hunter" reality show.

Beth Chapman, who is the wife of Duane "Dog" Chapman, ran the Idaho license plate numbers for the car that allegedly fled the scene Sunday night and then publicly posted a link to Facebook page of the girl she believed was behind the brazen deed, writing, "let the shaming begin."

The girl's Facebook page has since been deleted.

Riggi refers to her stone mansion at 639 North Broadway as "The Palazzo," where she cares for what she calls her "posh pups" — about three dozen small dogs that share her home.
This hits close to home for me because my brother went to Skidmore and every time my family went to see him we went past this house, a hilarious McMansion in a neighborhood of beautiful old houses.

extra thing I found while searching: " . . . a jaw dropping, elaborate 24,000-square-foot family estate in upstate New York that boasts an authentic English pub, Balinese wellness spa and perfectly heated lawn that is designed to keep the paws of the family's 35 dogs warm year-round."

eta: here's the text of her first Facebook post.

quote:

Caught red-handed!!!!! but took off..... this car and two girls ...one girl driving and one girl puled out tulips from my flower bed around the lamppost tonight at 8:15 if anyone knows who this is please call the cops! I filed a report Of course they ran the plate and couldn't find it it's an out-of-state plate from Idaho the girls headed towards Skidmore.The cops just left my house they filed a report they're going to look for the car!The girl that pulled out the tulips was Asian.If we all work together maybe we can find them along with my lawn jockey. I just got off the phone with Skidmore security and filed a report with them,they are going to look for this vehicle!
This is what happens when a human being doesn't have to deal with real problems.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 06:50 on May 17, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow whatever will the garden around her Balinese wellness spa and heated lawn look like without those two tulips, this is a national tragedy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:thermidor:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I appreciate the newspaper publishing that ladies address, so students will know where it is and can avoid disrespecting it again.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Every person who died in childbirth or due to pregnancy complications was also a baby once, too. Why don't they count?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ghost emoji posted:

Every person who died in childbirth or due to pregnancy complications was also a baby once, too. Why don't they count?

Replace the word 'person' with 'woman' and approach it from the perspective of someone who thinks that the two words have no overlap on a venn diagram.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Arivia posted:

Which apparently I do have to do after SRS, but a year after surgery, not three months. Please slow your roll. I promise I am taking care of my health.

Hi,

You only have to get a pap smear if you have a neo cervix. Most trans women don't get a neo cervix for this reason. Ask your surgeon if they gave you one. Most don't unless you specifically asked for one. Anyway, have a nice day.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ghost emoji posted:

Because they're not alive, duh!

If they wanted to have their opinion heard, they should speak up about it!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Wait. Heated lawn? Heated lawns are a thing?!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Roblo posted:

Wait. Heated lawn? Heated lawns are a thing?!

If you can dream it, and you can throw obscene amounts of money at it, anything is possible.

Undersoil heating is a thing used to keep sports fields warm and the grass growing. I know soccer uses it some places. Really it's a way to waste fuel and money to do something frivolous on a regular basis. I saw a quote that said it cost 3.5k British pounds to warm a soccer pitch for two days.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

trickybiscuits posted:

Find some information about Republicans' views of embryos held by fertility clinics.

Haven't seen this yet on the thread. Over the weekend, a socialite in Saratoga Springs called the police and filed a report because two young women stole from her. What did they steal? Two tulips from her garden.

There's nothing in the article that doesn't make me sympathetic to the two tulip thieves.

This hits close to home for me because my brother went to Skidmore and every time my family went to see him we went past this house, a hilarious McMansion in a neighborhood of beautiful old houses.

extra thing I found while searching: " . . . a jaw dropping, elaborate 24,000-square-foot family estate in upstate New York that boasts an authentic English pub, Balinese wellness spa and perfectly heated lawn that is designed to keep the paws of the family's 35 dogs warm year-round."

This is what happens when a human being doesn't have to deal with real problems.

My first thought was, “don’t steal people’s flowers,” but then I read the article, and now I hope they find that lady dead face-down in her tulips being eaten by aphids.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

trickybiscuits posted:

How the gently caress does Saratoga Springs have socialites?! Jesus.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MageMage posted:

Hi,

You only have to get a pap smear if you have a neo cervix. Most trans women don't get a neo cervix for this reason. Ask your surgeon if they gave you one. Most don't unless you specifically asked for one. Anyway, have a nice day.
Neo Cervix? Wasn't that the bad guy from Crash Bandicoot?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Martine Admiralty Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxl3q1vWV8

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 14:32 on May 17, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't get to call your home a palazzo if missing two tulips makes it "barren"

Roll out the guillotine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the entomology of martine?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
That's some good idiot, marred slightly by the implication that said idiot is converting someone else into their brand of crazy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

What's the entomology of martine?

Proto-Indo-Earwigpean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's some good idiot, marred slightly by the implication that said idiot is converting someone else into their brand of crazy.

Anyone who is prima facie concerned with heel pricks or any other common newborn health assessment instrument that millions of babies get every year is already neck deep in it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/iiTalW/status/991905585174986753

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Neo Cervix? Wasn't that the bad guy from Crash Bandicoot?

Teaming up with the villain from Mega Man, Dr Willy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ooooooooofffff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bitcoin_txt/status/1129389926682955776

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

trickybiscuits posted:

I’m not sure what makes someone a “socialite,” but I’ve never heard of someone described as such whom I didn’t hate. Also, the fact that this woman owns a lawn jockey is the perfect icing on the cake.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jurgan posted:

I’m not sure what makes someone a “socialite,”

Lots of money, no discernible skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jurgan posted:

I’m not sure what makes someone a “socialite,” but I’ve never heard of someone described as such whom I didn’t hate. Also, the fact that this woman owns a lawn jockey is the perfect icing on the cake.

A "socialite" is just someone who has money somehow (usually from their family) and spends their time going out on the town and attending parties, clubbing, posting on social media, etc. You really can't be a socialite without coming from a really privileged background like having an inheritance or rich parents, so they tend to universally be terrible and out of touch.