Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rifter17 posted:

Are there any isomorphic keyboard controllers with velocity sensitivity? All I can find are either old, expensive, experimental ones from the 90's or variations of the Novation Launch Pad.

Push is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

The microfreak tickles me in all the right ways, and so does that super 6. I'm so glad we're going towards this best of both worlds approach as far as analog and digital is concerned, instead of looking down on one or the other and/or getting stuck in reverence for vintage stuff only. I mean that's fine, but show me some innovation in the field as well.

this is why I love my Prophet, it’s got the sound of a vintage 80’s analog poly, but with so much new, modern poo poo that’s largely possible only due to all the digital goodies inside, like the mod matrix, built in FX, and a bajillion LFOs. Has the depth and huge palette of options of a good modern synth, but can still sound vintagey if you need it to. It’s probably the best all-around synth I own.

Like, 20 years ago a 16 voice analog poly with as much poo poo crammed in there would have been incredibly far beyond reach, and now there are a bunch of similarly powerful synths out there and it’s great.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean if I'm going to lust after a synth I can't afford or ever justify buying, it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yi3HiXWjVI&t=228s

Usually the fantasy questions are about winning the lottery.

So a long time ago, someone asked on another synthesizer forum what we would do if everything we owned burned down and the insurance would pay out.

I said that what I had could probably buy a Rhodes and a Minimoog for 2005 prices or so - steep but not impossible yet. At that time I had about $3500 in my entire setup. Big, but not out of reach I hope - cars are more expensive.

I finally ended up with both after a long time of saving up, scraping like crazy and spending every penny on just those things - without losing everything else. But it is important to keep in mind that some of this crap is a literal fetish - only that particular machine does the trick for you. The problem is that no substitute will do the trick. I tried to get the Minimoog and Rhodes sound without buying the originals and it just didn’t work for me.

For other machines, I don’t care. I have an Odyssey reissue and while lots of music I like has it featured, I don’t hunger to own the original. In fact, I played an original and the keyboard felt like poo poo.

I pity the people for who the CS-80 is that machine.

If you have no such machine, you are in luck. Try to keep it that way. If you do, focus all your energy on that and get it; if only to get it out of your system. If it holds its value well, selling it eventually is a low cost to rent gear.

For the other thing you mention about justifying: I found out that it’s better for me to have fewer things. It is also good if those few things are fine things. I would rather have a single Moog Grandmother than a collection of Volcas of the same value.

I am never going to play so well that I will do justice to the machine - any of them. But that’s OK.

Get yourself one really nice thing that brings you joy, and it’s worth it. You do not have to recoup the cost. If you want to invest, play the stock market.

For new stuff like the UDO; Wait until they have ironed out the bugs, and see if you can find a capricious soul who finds out after three months that they got yet another expensive paperweight. These people gracefully eat the new car price hit for you, and you get a barely touched synth.

It sounds great. I would definitely take it over several cheaper machines despite those being more versatile.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^^good advice.

Guys I’m really excited for the individual TE eurorack modules to come out for like $50 a pop.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rifter17 posted:

Are there any isomorphic keyboard controllers with velocity sensitivity? All I can find are either old, expensive, experimental ones from the 90's or variations of the Novation Launch Pad.

You should check out the Linnstrument. It has polyphonic X/Y/Z/AT sensitivity, and is one of the easiest and intuitive bits of kit I've ever had.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
do you guys like the streichfett?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

do you guys like the streichfett?

Streichfett is great if you're looking for something that sorta sounds like all the vintage string machines in a blender - it's great for the overall sound, but if you're trying to get a Solina or some other specific sound, then it won't do it for you. I love it - it does one simple thing really well.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Laserjet 4P posted:

I pity the people for who the CS-80 is that machine.

For me, the “holy grail” synths for me have been Jupiter-8, Juno-106, CS-80, Prophet 5, and an Arp 2600 or some similar compact-ish small modular.

I bought my HS-60 (effectively a grey coloured Juno-106) over a decade ago, I’ve had my A100 Eurorack basic system for a similar length of time as my 2600 equivalent that can pretty much do anything the Arp can, and I just got my Prophet Rev2 after deciding that it was the better, more versatile choice for me vs. a Prophet 6 module (since the P6 kb was just out of my price range I would have had to get the desktop P6 instead of the keys), and a big part of the reason I got it is because it can actually do a passable imitation of a CS-80 if you program it right.

I’d still kinda like to get a P6 somewhere down the road, but the upcoming synths I’m really excited about are potential Jp-8 and CS-80 clones from Behringer, especially if they can nail the sound as well as they did with their Minimoog clone.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Militant Lesbian posted:

For me, the “holy grail” synths for me have been Jupiter-8, Juno-106, CS-80, Prophet 5, and an Arp 2600 or some similar compact-ish small modular.

I bought my HS-60 (effectively a grey coloured Juno-106) over a decade ago, I’ve had my A100 Eurorack basic system for a similar length of time as my 2600 equivalent that can pretty much do anything the Arp can, and I just got my Prophet Rev2 after deciding that it was the better, more versatile choice for me vs. a Prophet 6 module (since the P6 kb was just out of my price range I would have had to get the desktop P6 instead of the keys), and a big part of the reason I got it is because it can actually do a passable imitation of a CS-80 if you program it right.

I’d still kinda like to get a P6 somewhere down the road, but the upcoming synths I’m really excited about are potential Jp-8 and CS-80 clones from Behringer, especially if they can nail the sound as well as they did with their Minimoog clone.

Have you looked at the System 8? I had one and loved it, I regret getting rid of it but didn't have room. I'm silently hoping for a Sys8 module, it would be an instant purchase for me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://youtu.be/moyciSFA0AE

Uwe George about to release another buggy poorly constructed synth that will likely sound incredible and deprive me of another thousand dollars

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is the synth industry always this crazy or did I jump in at a time that some crazy golden age rebirth thing is happening. In the past six months there have been like 4-5 conferences where a dozen or more incredibly cool synths have been shown. I mean, every other week there is something coming out that is loving cool.

I followed guitars on and off for the past 10 years and nothing like this has happened with them. Well, the pedal side has been going nuts, but I see that as being linked more to the synth side than the guitar side.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 11, 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Philthy posted:

Is the synth industry always this crazy or did I jump in at a time that some crazy golden age rebirth thing is happening. In the past six months there have been like 4-5 conferences where a dozen or more incredibly cool synths have been shown. I mean, every other week there is something coming out that is loving cool.

I followed guitars on and off for the past 10 years and nothing like this has happened with them. Well, the pedal side has been going nuts, but I see that as being linked more to the synth side than the guitar side.

The explosion of eurorack in the last decade has had a profound effect on this glorious golden age of synthesizers that we now live in. While multi-thousand dollar flagship synths aren't going away, people realized that affordable synths can and do exist and there is a huge market of people with beards and lots of disposable income who want to be able to make robot farts.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Philthy posted:

Happened with guitars too over the last ten years. Cheaper guitars like the Squier Classic Vibe range are incredible for the price.

This age of reasonably priced awesome gear is wonderful..

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Happened with guitars too over the last ten years. Cheaper guitars like the Squier Classic Vibe range are incredible for the price.

Guilty. I've got a strat and a tele from that line. And I'm looking at the fretless bass. never buying a fender again haha

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

This age of reasonably priced awesome gear is wonderful..

i literally just got a cv 50s tele and i'm blown away

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve owned multiple $1,000+ guitars and basses and my main guitar now in a CV60s Strat. Main bass is a VM70s Jazz Bass. They’re phenomenal instruments and the electronics are great too unlike plenty of good but cheap guitars/basses.

I’ve only gotten into synths in the last 5ish years but owning a Microbrute + Volca Drum is amazing on the same level.

Just the idea of getting actually solid keep forever gear into the hands of kids who may not otherwise have the chance is so loving cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The first beta version of Bitwig 3 with the grid came out and it's hella fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPhIm6Ttd8

I haven't managed to make anything but heinous audio garbage come out of it yet but god drat I enjoy doing it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Philthy posted:

Is the synth industry always this crazy or did I jump in at a time that some crazy golden age rebirth thing is happening.

Nope, this is new. I think it started ramping up when the Minibrute was announced, or maybe the monotron in 2010, and just keeps getting more and more bonkers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think there's a paradigm and technology shift in manufacturing and electronics that has powered both the synth and guitar worlds to say nothing of pedals. The kind of emulation we're seeing in Strymon pedals is incredibly exciting and that kind of tech is gushing, not trickling, down. Just the controllers market alone has blossomed with Novation's products and everyone racing to match that. I'm also seeing quite a few TheGigRig (that's a pedal multiplexer) imitations. It seems the gap between a great new enabling piece of kit coming out and industry-wide adoption is getting narrower, and it's a great time to be a musician right now.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

The first beta version of Bitwig 3 with the grid came out and it's hella fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPhIm6Ttd8

I haven't managed to make anything but heinous audio garbage come out of it yet but god drat I enjoy doing it.

i'm still wrapping my head around the way phase works, both in terms of sync and in the phase mod of oscillators, but i've been enjoying playing with it too. looking forward to sorting it out more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ewe2 posted:

I think there's a paradigm and technology shift in manufacturing and electronics that has powered both the synth and guitar worlds to say nothing of pedals. The kind of emulation we're seeing in Strymon pedals is incredibly exciting and that kind of tech is gushing, not trickling, down. Just the controllers market alone has blossomed with Novation's products and everyone racing to match that. I'm also seeing quite a few TheGigRig (that's a pedal multiplexer) imitations. It seems the gap between a great new enabling piece of kit coming out and industry-wide adoption is getting narrower, and it's a great time to be a musician right now.

Only company that can’t seem to figure that out is Gibson.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Hey Behringer, can you work on your clone of the GX-1, now?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Gibson has two different budget brands and they just put out a new line of guitars that everyone insists is good. :confused:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

AnnoyBot posted:

Nope, this is new. I think it started ramping up when the Minibrute was announced, or maybe the monotron in 2010, and just keeps getting more and more bonkers.

really what kicked it off was when Bob Moog finally got the rights to his name back and rebranded from Big Briar back to Moog and started making new Minimoogs, and around the same time Dave Smith had had some success with the Evolver synths and finally decided to make a new synth under the Prophet name, around a dozen years ago. Those two plus the increasing popularity of Eurorack made the rest of the industry sit up and take notice that *new* analog gear will sell, and sell well, especially if it is priced less than the exorbitant sums people wanted for vintage gear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Siivola posted:

Gibson has two different budget brands and they just put out a new line of guitars that everyone insists is good. :confused:

Cool, it only took them getting to the point where they were dangling by a shred of a toenail over the cliff’s edge financially and where everybody was basically treating their demise as a foregone conclusion, and worse- with a lot of said commentary involving a “good riddance” or two.

I’m glad to hear that they’re generating more goodwill from people because doubling down on the strategy of being the Harley Davidson of guitar companies and making blues lawyers and Guitar Center Dads your core market was not working.

Also, as the owner of a 2016 Epi hollowbody at least one of their budget brands still can’t compete with Squier/Fender/Gretsch on QC.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Seriously, if they only let Epiphone make P90 Juniors, they'd be flying off the shelves. In TV yellow, please.

edit: I have an Epi 2016 SG. I won't say Epiphone has the greatest QC either, but if Gibson want to win hearts and minds they've got to give those brands something to work with.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 13, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My two Gibson-family guitars are a 1998(?) Epi LP Limited Edition and an Epi Thunderhorse. They're both incredible, though the pickups in the LP were loving garbage. I will never not suggest someone get a mid-to-upper-range Epi. (The $99 Special IIs or whatever those kit guitars are probably don't fit this description, though.)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

until my special 2 i never thought i'd come across a guitar that was so bad that upgrading it would be a total waste. the chrome is all cloudy and gross (and i don't have body chemistry that eats at hardware) the tuners grind and have tons of slop, the sticky finish took forever to cure and a weird crack in the front mysteriously appeared after like 6 months. the pickups were the only good thing about it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kind of wanting a new drum machine. I love to collect them and jam on them and don’t really care about finishing songs or whatever, it’s just how I like to relax after work.

What are some good options in 2019? I have a couple MFBs that are mostly great. Was eyeing the TR8s but none of the YouTube demos have really sold me on the sound of it. I like the Tempest a lot, and the Alpha base is interesting. Tempest is also like 8 years old now and still expensive. The Rytm looks okay but I’m not crazy about electron gear overall

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

Kind of wanting a new drum machine. I love to collect them and jam on them and don’t really care about finishing songs or whatever, it’s just how I like to relax after work.

What are some good options in 2019? I have a couple MFBs that are mostly great. Was eyeing the TR8s but none of the YouTube demos have really sold me on the sound of it. I like the Tempest a lot, and the Alpha base is interesting. Tempest is also like 8 years old now and still expensive. The Rytm looks okay but I’m not crazy about electron gear overall

I have no experience with drum machines but I love my Volca Drum so much. It’s one of the coolest pieces of gear I own.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
TR8 is dirt cheap used go get it.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

A MIRACLE posted:

I've had those plus the Digitakt. TR8 didn't get a wild as I wanted it to, Tempest was too limiting with samples (and allaround kinda half baked), and I just couldn't quite get the Digitakt going in a way that worked with my workflow. The TR8S looks pretty rad, and I think it fixed some of the issues I had with the TR8 so that might be a good option.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

I saw Vlad Kreimer demo the Pulsar today. If you can wait a while that would be the perfect machine to get lost in to. It was insane.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I saw a minibrute 2 on clearance for $400 at the local guitar center should I jump on that poo poo orrrr?

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Also I literally just got a drumbrute impact and it’s pretty cool imo

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Also I literally just got a drumbrute impact and it’s pretty cool imo

I used to have the OG Drumbrute and have played a bit with the Impact in stores and I would recommend giving the Impact a try. When I had the Drumbrute I found it to be super intuitive and fun to sequence, probably more than any other drum machine I've used. It's easy to do performance stuff like muting tracks, soloing tracks, removing all solos/mutes, change sequences back and forth, and manipulating knobs in real time (like the hi-hat decay). It feels very organic to play.

My only complaint with the original Drumbrute was the sound itself; snare and claps sounded kinda puny and I wasn't wild on the kicks. The Impact has less sounds on it but I think the fundamental ones sound better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSohjdLywIk

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do I get the volca sample, beats, or other module to add to my Microbrute?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

goodness posted:

Do I get the volca sample, beats, or other module to add to my Microbrute?

If you're considering Volcas (which are dope) there's benefits and tradeoffs to each so it depends what you care more about.

Beats has a pretty limited pallet of sounds to choose from so you're locked into that as well as it does not have swing (though it does have the stutter delay-like feature can add its own kind of grooviness). The Sample has way more flexibility in terms of what sounds you can use (any sample you're willing to load on) and has swing, reverb (so-so quality), high/low filters, and a song mode. But no stutter.

I haven't tried it yet but you should also consider the new Drums volca. It looks kinda like an ER-1 where you're designing your drum sounds from scratch with oscillators and envelopes which can be super fun and hopefully give you lots of flexibility in creating drum sounds you like. It has a few more sequencing features as well and a wave shaping effects engine thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Got the gear (minibrute 2s)