Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whoever told you currants were in any way related to grapes, had grapey flavor, or were seedless? Hell, having extremely annoying seeds is like the most characteristic thing about currants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Poil posted:

One thing I've always wondered about this journey, what happens when you reach the destination? Do you need money to buy some land? Do they have to build a house from scratch? How do they not starve/freeze to death in winter?

A big driver of people risking everything to move out west was that the US government was giving out land for free to anyone who would settle there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_Land_Claim_Act

quote:

The act, which became law on 27 September 1850, granted 320 acres (1.3 km2) of designated areas free of charge to every unmarried white male citizen eighteen or older and 640 acres (2.6 km2) to every married couple arriving in the Oregon Territory before 1 December 1850... A provision in the law granted half the amount to those who arrived after the 1850 deadline but before 1854.[4] Claimants were required to live on the land and to cultivate it for four years to own it outright.[3]

Looks like we have a deadline to make!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever told you currants were in any way related to grapes, had grapey flavor, or were seedless? Hell, having extremely annoying seeds is like the most characteristic thing about currants.

I may have confused wild currants with dried currants.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently Americans call a kind of raisins currants for some stupid reason, but real currants, wild or not, are a completely different thing, belonging to a genus that includes a whole bunch of commonly grown cultivars such as gooseberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant or white currant.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

steinrokkan posted:

Apparently Americans call a kind of raisins currants for some stupid reason,
I've wondered about this. Thank you. I kept thinking "is that all currants are?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
steinrokkan kramers into the thread to make more sweeping generalizations about Americans. What do we do?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

steinrokkan kramers into the thread to make more sweeping generalizations about Americans. What do we do?

Eat more currants, probably.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

steinrokkan posted:

Apparently Americans call a kind of raisins currants for some stupid reason, but real currants, wild or not, are a completely different thing, belonging to a genus that includes a whole bunch of commonly grown cultivars such as gooseberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant or white currant.

As with many stupid reasons, it's the Europeans' fault.

quote:

Zante currants, Corinth raisins, or Corinthian raisins, also called simply currants, are dried berries of the small, sweet, seedless grape cultivar 'Black Corinth' (Vitis vinifera).[1][2] The name comes from the Anglo-French phrase "raisins de Corinthe" (grapes of Corinth)[3] and the Ionian island of Zakynthos (Zante), which was once the major producer and exporter. It is not related to black, red or white currants, which are berries of shrubs in the genus Ribes and not usually prepared in dried form.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Alternate coffee and laudanum until we don't care any more. Speaking of

CirclMastr posted:

We need to buy:
All their laudanum
113 pounds of bacon
78 pounds of cheese
2 boxes of 20 bullets
1 grandfather clock

I endorse this + more coffee. :coffeepal:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
why does the team have so few clocks???

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately, pickings are somewhat slim out here. No laudanum or grandfather clocks whatsoever. We do buy him completely out of all his bacon (70 pounds) and cheese (about 50 pounds) and another box of bullets.

We can definitely make up for that though!

Our rifle holds one round, which is reloaded by clicking on the gun icon at the bottom. The Sharpshooting skill gives us a higher chance of killing animals with one shot.

Our 5 shots take down a pair of buffalo. We're given far more meat than we could ever carry back, but it more than makes up for the lack of bacon at the trading post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3LIktfaIY

I promise these videos will never, ever get better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Take the ferry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Native American Relations

The short version: they loving sucked.

Much of what's now the United States was still untamed wilderness at the time of the Oregon Trail, occupied primarily by Native American tribes. White emigrants on the trail encountered Sioux, Cherokee, Apache, Shoshone, Pawnee, Cheyenne, and other tribes along their long journey to the West Coast. All of these tribes spoke different languages and had unique cultures, not all of which involved tipis and buffalo.

Most emigrant contact with Indians was actually peaceful, as they provided valuable opportunities for trade. The bigger problem came from American misinterpretation of native intentions and plain racism. Some wagon trains would use them as target practice or draw guns on friendly tribes trying to trade with them. Any transgression could result in someone being killed, and the travelers and media loved reporting minor skirmishes as "massacres". More Native Americans were killed by white settlers than vice versa, but the negative depiction of the tribes led to harsh reprisals by the US government whenever an isolated band attempted to stop the travelers from encroaching on their land.

This would lead into the long series of Indian Wars as the US military attempted to force the natives onto reservations, often reneging on treaties when they became inconvenient, and placing them under American law without granting them rights (such as arresting and executing them for crimes). A number of acts collectively referred to as the Indian Appropriations Act were signed in 1851 to establish reservations in Oklahoma as a way of getting rid of Native Americans who were occupying land that white settlers could take. On March 3, 1871, all Native American nations lost their recognition as sovereign bodies that could sign treaties and be negotiated with. Either you assimilated or you were out.

As far as travelers on the Oregon Trail need to be concerned, there's not much to fear. Most Indians accept the emigrants as peaceful travelers who mean no harm. Trade gives them access to valuable goods and technology like whiskey, rifles, and horses. But there's always the possibility that you'll run into someone who really doesn't want you trying to take over his backyard for yourself.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Ford that sumbitch. It's not living without a little risk, right?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Take the ferry; don't lose the bacon we just bought.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Take the Ferry

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So what's with the thread's obsession with grandfather clocks? Is it an in-joke from some previous LP?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Commander Keene posted:

Take the ferry.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Commander Keene posted:

So what's with the thread's obsession with grandfather clocks? Is it an in-joke from some previous LP?

I think a mechanic also exists that makes the wagon more likely to tip during river and hill crossings if big useless furniture like the clocks are in there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I think so, but I'm not sure. Besides that, they're completely useless, amazingly expensive and probably actively detrimental to take along with you, so naturally goons want to amass as many as possible.

Edit: Oh, apparently it's a long running joke about Oregon trail in general that the best way to allocate your starting funds is buying 12 grandfather clocks and a hat and literally nothing else.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Take the Ferry. Four dollars to avoid losing some of the items we just bought is a wise investment.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dash Rendar posted:

why does the team have so few clocks???

A previous group of travellers really cornered the market and bought up the entire supply.

Commander Keene posted:

https://lparchive.org/Oregon-Trail-(by-Chewbot)/

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Amazing LP, I recommend everybody read that if you haven't. I think it was also one of the first LP threads I followed back when I first found the subforum. ...drat, it's over a decade ago, wow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chewbot’s LP is basically what started the narrative LP format.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Take the ferry.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oops, Chewbot's LP isn't the one with the grandfather clocks, he was playing a version that didn't have specific items like furniture. My bad.

Pretty sure the mountain of clocks and lard was https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2568680 (archives required)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Oops, Chewbot's LP isn't the one with the grandfather clocks, he was playing a version that didn't have specific items like furniture. My bad.

Pretty sure the mountain of clocks and lard was https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2568680 (archives required)

The clocks came from Taxman's LP in 2009. Unfortunately I think he used Waffle Images as a host because virtually every image is dead now.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So many great things were lost when waffleimages went kaput.

Ferrys? Those are for quitters!

Ford that like our foreLPers would have wanted.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Gonna be real awkward when Cap'n Freedman has to turn away at the Oregon border.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
In one of those old lps I had a character named after my username then who was the max age. He got bit by a rattlesnake and the vote result was to have him vigorously exercise. He survived and made it all the way to their destination.

Ford the river

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Almost immediately after crossing the river, we reach Fort Laramie in what's now Torrington, WY. The Mormon Trail from Nauvoo meets the Oregon Trail here. Most of the fort is still standing and now serves as a museum.

Register Cliff is a soft, chalky limestone wall over 100 feet above the river. Hundreds of emigrants along the Oregon Trail carved their names, dates, etc. into the rock.

Next is the Ayers Natural Bridge, currently located in Converse County, WY.

We run into the North Platte River here. We're closing on the halfway point!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Three bucks for a short, shallow river? Nah, that is a rip-off, Ford it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

What good will money be when we're off the trail? Take the ferry.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vavrek posted:

:emptyquote:

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I'm gonna keep voting for fording until we've all drowned in six inches of water.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vavrek posted:

Three bucks now versus however much replacement bacon and canteens and such at some trading post? No question, Ferry.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That bridge looks so good, it's like our ferry godmother.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Let’s not overthink it. Take the ferry.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Please ferry our precious bacon and cheese across. And maybe the rest of the wagon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Turns out the ferry is run by Mormons! In 1847 Brigham Young's group painstakingly built a ferry to cross the North Platte River, only to find over a hundred wagons waiting to cross behind them. It turned out to be perfectly practical to charge a toll for the wagons behind them to use the ferry to cross. During the initial California Gold Rush, despite building a bigger ferry that could transport 50 to 75 wagons a day, queues lasted as long as two or three days. The trading post here is a few years anachronistic, though.

We continue passing by landmarks. Willow Springs in what's now Wyoming was a very popular camping site, as it was some of the first fresh water emigrants would find after crossing the river. Much of this area is fairly dusty and has alkali water that can't be drank.

We find an abandoned wagon along the way. Treasures are...bountiful?

Even 818 miles away, we can't escape Independence. Much like Register Cliff there are many emigrant names and dates carved on it, but many of them look to have been done in the same professional hand. It's been suggested that stonecutters set up a business charging a fee to carve names into the rock for passing emigrants.

We don't actually pass through the Devil's Gate, just see it from a distance.

Fortunately our 6-month supply package included one spare of every part, allowing us to quickly replace the wheel and move on.

One more rock formation.

And now we hit our first route selection that isn't just asking if we want to turn around. As the name suggests, the Three Crossings route will force us into a set of narrow hills where we have no choice but to cross the river three times in succession. The Deep Sands route skips this but forces our oxen to travel several miles through deep, exhausting sand.

Which way do we go?