Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The auto brewery syndrome story is amazing. I thought it was fake at first but if you read that dudes posting history it's definitely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Two minutes hate! Get your two minutes hate here!

[M35] What does it mean when my [F26] girlfriend (of 6 months) says she “does all the work” in our relationship?

quote:

TLDR: I’m crazy about my girlfriend but she says she has to do all the work in the relationship and idk what that means or how to fix it.

She’s not talking about actual career/job work as we both have high paying jobs and contribute to dates/shared expenses.

I want to make her happy and I’m really lucky to have her in my life, but I feel like I’m not doing a good job as her boyfriend. I think she seems disappointed more than I’d like, and when I ask about it, she says that she feels like she has to do most of the work in our relationship. I’m not really sure what that means though because I’m not really sure what “work” there is involved in a relationship. Shouldn’t a relationship be filled with stuff each person likes to do, and not really be work?

Edit (adding this for more context): I think it has something to do with the fact that she usually is the one to plan stuff and initiate things (dates, sex, conversations, etc) because I’m pretty relaxed and usually just go with the flow. Also I have kind of a complicated schedule (I’m divorced and stuff comes up with my kids a lot, sometimes last minute) that we have to work around. The topic usually comes up around that kind of stuff. But I guess I figured she likes doing that kind of stuff. I don’t know why she’d do it if she didn’t enjoy it so I don’t see the big deal.

Any advice or interpretations would be welcome and helpful. Thanks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I first heard of that with some guy who never drank but was drunk all the time anyway and it turned out to be that, the human body is a crazy thing.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA Mad at my wife’s “prank” and her reneging on promise?

Bit of a weird situation but given I just lost my temper really badly hoping to get some outside perspective

My wife and I (22F, 23M) are currently on holiday in Thailand. We took a short detour to Pattaya which has a bit of a reputation for sex tourism.

Now my wife and I are both very sex positive people. We are both quite hedonistic I guess, so long as you’re safe and enjoying yourself, whatever goes.

Now this is where it gets weird so if you’re not interested in dumb couples drama I’d stop reading here. I have always wanted a threesome and I’ve asked my wife many times. She has always shut me down but left the possibility open. On this trip she said she would provided I agreed to a threesome with one of Thailand’s well known “ladyboys.”

Note: I apologise for using the term, I suspect it might be offensive. But it’s the term everyone uses here so bare with me

I’m not interested in transwomen personally but if it got my wife to agree to a threesome with a non-trans girl (which is easily achievable while in Bangkok/Pattaya as well) I figured I may as well do it. She insisted we do the ladyboy threesome first since she said I would just go back on my word otherwise.

I guess you can see where this is going. We went and got a bar girl from one of the ladyboy bars and had a threesome. The next morning she said she was joking and was just loving with me. She said she wouldn’t do a threesome as she agreed.

Now I like a good prank as much as anyone but I thought this was hosed up. I lost my temper, yelled at her, called her names, and packed my things to go to another hotel, where I am now.

I imagine no one disputes my wife is an rear end in a top hat. But do you think my reaction was too much? To be fair to my wife we are extremely sex positive so it wasn’t traumatic or anything. It just felt like she betrayed my trust.

lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Patrick Spens posted:

Two minutes hate! Get your two minutes hate here!

[M35] What does it mean when my [F26] girlfriend (of 6 months) says she “does all the work” in our relationship?

Easy. Record him saying just the bolded bit and play it back for him slowly while staring at him intently. Repeat until he gets it. If that doesn't work, try low-grade electric shocks.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
***UPDATE*** She's texting someone constantly that we don't know
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/bptzem/shes_texting_someone_constantly_that_we_dont/

So from my post earlier I found out that just in this 3 weeks she had 29,000 sent and received text messages with %90 of them coming from one number. The number was to a guy she met online in Imvu which is an avatar based game.

These messages started happening when she moved out to be able to help her step mom and also work on getting her GED. I knew about her use of the chat room but I trusted that she wasn't doing anything wrong. Boy was I wrong. She's been talking to him all of this time and finally admitted that she loved him and wanted to be with him. He lives across the state 5 hours away and they have never met. She says they are planning on meeting soon though.

She didn't want to tell me because she quit her job 6 months ago because of depression and hasn't worked since. During this time I've been the sole provider for me, her, and our son. I also have been paying her car payment, supporting her spending addiction on the game, as well as paying her rent for the room she's staying in at her step moms. She knew I would stop providing for her so she kept giving me just enough affection to keep me wanting to take care of her.

Having sex with me up until April and kissing me up until 4 days ago when I last saw her. Also sent me nudes 2 weeks ago just to keep me happy. She even wanted me to pay for her nipples to get pierced and I asked why no one's going to see them and she said I'll let you see them and play with them. I was being used and manipulated this whole time and didn't see it.

So today was my day to get him and I'd have him until the 27th. So I drove 2 hours to go pick him up and then I went and turned her phone off. This pissed her off so she decided to follow me home which I was stopping at my fathers house. She didn't see me home so went there and knocked on the door. I answered and she grabbed my son and took him to the car. I blocked the door so she went around and put him in the car seat. I opened his door to unbuckle him and she pushed me away and as she was doing that I slapped her arm away. She then went beserk punching me closed fist into the face about 8 or 9 times and I just stood there and took it. She did this right over my son maybe 8 inches away from him and he was crying for Daddy telling me momma is mean. He's just 3 years old.

TLDR: Baby momma confessed to being in love and wanting to be with a guy she met online. She admitted to using me just to provide for her because she hasn't had a job in 6 months. I turned her phone off after I got my son so she followed me home and took my son out of the house and punched me in the face multiple times right on top of him.

quote:

If she physically hit you, you should've called the cops. You don't want your kid to deal with this drama.

quote:

I thought about it but my name isn't currently on his birth certificate and I knew she would make sure I couldn't see my son because of it. I did call the office at the police department and left a message to be able to file a report on Monday and have multiple witnesses.

etc., etc. check out all his other comments, this is really a burning mess lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Giant_Pupils posted:

Easy. Record him saying just the bolded bit and play it back for him slowly while staring at him intently. Repeat until he gets it. If that doesn't work, try low-grade electric shocks.

It wont work, hes the former lead singer of Wicked Sceptre.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Blade Runner posted:

Once you've started talking about the etymology of words you have lost the argument more brutally than can possibly be articulated and should just take the L

Considering the person they were replying to said that the Thot isn't a ho but a ratchet girl, pretty sure that person is still the wrong one. Calling anyone derogatory names is wrong, not a hard concept.

It gets worse especially when the racial component then gets treated like it's not there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Palpek posted:

It doesn't even matter who was right about the birthday - she escalated a normal quarrel to extreme verbal abuse and lashed out at a perceived easy target because she felt like it. She's a classic abuser with real anger issues. I'm glad he decided not to take that poo poo and end things right there, good for him.

Wow. Calling that verbal abuse is a scorching hot take. Consider how you word things a little more maybe.

This is clearly a case of textual abuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Words are misappropriated at unprecedented rates and you p much have to figure out the meaning by context, welcome to the internet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Words are misappropriated at unprecedented rates and you p much have to figure out the meaning by context, welcome to the internet.

You should always figure out words by context. Language should be viewed descriptively, not prescriptively.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

I always thought thot standing for "that ho over there" was some kind of faux-black folk etymology made up by white people so they'd feel cool using the word, to be honest

It is and they are. But despite the false acronym etymology which is a trend in the process of cooptation, thot is really just a synonym for ho. Ratchet is also used to call women hoes. See also chickenhead, tipdrill and many other horrible names that weren’t created by rap necessarily but popularized and normalized by it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MasBrillante posted:

You are absolutely right that there is no point to getting men to acknowledge that some words are misogynistic bullshit, no matter how many cute new slang words you use to redefine it.

:hmmyes:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

[Help!] The Girl I Like Won’t Respond to My Emails (´・ω・`)

quote:

There’s this girl I’ve had feelings for since high school and now we’re in college together. We’ll call her Denko. Once we hit second year, we went out drinking, and I worked up the courage to exchange numbers. We started out talking often, but she hasn’t answered me in three days now. I’m getting depressed just thinking that Denko might be sick or that something happened to her. Please, somebody give me some advice. (´・ω・`)

quote:

Well, I called her too in case she was sick or something happened…Maybe this last email I sent did something to hurt Denko’s feelings? Give me your opinion here:

“Yahoo! Good weather today. You haven’t emailed me or called me, so I’m just sending this since I’m worried. Did I do something bad? PS. The stars were pretty last night.”

I’m begging you, I need advice! I haven’t slept for an entire day… (´・ω・`)

I've had my eye on Denko since high school, and...
I don't know how to say it, but I think it might be mutual... (´・ω・`)

quote:

I haven't had much experience talking to girls... (´・ω・`)

At first, we just talked about how strange it was we only started emailing in college despite being in the same year of high school.
What I'm sending... well, I'm worried about her lack of reply, so I've sent her around 600 emails.
They're mostly reports on my current mental state, I guess...? (´・ω・`)

Don't make fun of me, okay!
I don't have any friends, so you're the only people I can ask about this!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

[Help!] The Girl I Like Won’t Respond to My Emails (´・ω・`)

I can’t find the “get murdered” smiley but pretend I posted it here.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

STUPID loving HAMSTER FACE

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
She was waiting for the 601'st email. Obviously it was just a test to see if you truly loved her.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
He doesn't need help getting the girl, he needs help securing a stool and tying up a noose

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017
a classic for the ages, a hero for these dark times.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
http://www.scaryforkids.com/denko/

Thanks, I hate it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The narration on this is pretty great, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-ID3eMcEw

And the whole playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpNAl5zLZSMUcMfsUrHFGR_avA6Jql2bl

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 18, 2019

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I love the guy that keeps trying to get the creep to buy hamsters, he owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I assume this was already posted but lmao

https://twitter.com/meaganrosae/status/1129456839161241601

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

That's breathtaking.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

brutal

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

That's cool on many levels. Not only does she spoil it, but that also makes it clear that it's a lovely show and she's ruining all hope for him.

She's cool like the blue guy

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ad090 posted:

AITA for telling my wife that her dad isn't that bad?

Eeeeh. You should believe people when they said they've been abused. But the OP said the wife also cited talking too much and being overbearing as part of her problem with her dad. I would think true abusive behavior would mean those other things would never be mentioned in the same breath.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

I can’t find the “get murdered” smiley but pretend I posted it here.

quote:

600 emails and still no reply, so I'm really thinking something might have happened... (´・ω・`)
And I really don't think they're anything that would displease her. They're like this:
"I'm drinking jasmine tea right now, thinking about what to have for dinner."
Maybe they're a bit too incidental?

quote:

Alright, alright, maybe people think I'm creepy!
But even so, I'm really, honestly in love with this girl!
You understand, right? I'll try not to be as creepy about it from now on!
So please, give me advice on how to get Denko to respond!

quote:

Me: "What do you do for fun? What do you listen to? I like watching lots of movies and reading lots of books, I guess... (´・ω・`)"
Denko: "Umm, I dunno. You sure use a lot of emoticons, huh?"
That sort of thing.

Me: "Do girls do the thing where you turn socks inside-out to use them for a week?"
Denko: "No, that's too dirty. I usually wash them after a day."
Me: "Well, Denko's socks can't possibly be dirty! Unlike mine... (´・ω・`)"
Denko: "Do you really wear the same socks for a week?"
Me: "No, uh, I heard about it from a friend."

Like that.

quote:

I'M CALLING HER NOW

SHE'S ON

OH GOD I WAS SO NERVOUS I PANICKED AND HUNG UP ON HER (´;ω;`)

quote:

I sent her an email saying I knew I shouldn't have hung up, and my heart just wasn't ready...

quote:

I TALKED WITH DENKO! And I invited her to see the cherry blossoms!
Apparently her schedule was packed at work, so she said some other time! Oh well, still good news!
Gotta buy some clothes now... (´・ω・`) Hurry hurry...

I accidentally told her about how I was sweating really bad, haha...
And she said she was sorry she was too busy to reply to my emails. (´・ω・`)
For now, I'm glad Denko is safe. I was worried what might happen since I'm so bad at talking to girls, but I guess I managed...

quote:

Denko helped me out when I was being badly bullied in high school.
Denko's smart and kind, so she was like everyone's role model.
When I sat next to her in class, I often borrowed her notebooks and erasers and we became friends.
We made eye contact a lot in class, too... (´・ω・`)

I SENT 600 EMAILS BECAUSE THERE WAS A CHANCE SOMETHING HAPPENED AND I WAS WORRIED.
I'm telling the truth here, okay?
Anyway, a reply!! I'm kind of scared to read it, haha...

quote:

Anyway, we're making plans for four of us to get together!
I'm so grateful! And so tense! Oh my god...

The contents of her reply:
I'm not really sure what to say, but sorry I was too busy to reply to your emails.
My schedule is probably too packed to see the cherry blossoms this year. *crying emoticon*
Oh, also, I saw your brother on TV again! [He's a former actor]
My friend says she wants to go drinking with your brother, me, and you. What do you think?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Super fake but I still approve of the murder

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [22M] girlfriend [20F] has given me a ‘free pass’ for a holiday abroad. Do I use it?

So a few of my close guy friends and I [22M] decided to book a holiday abroad, and just so happened that it coincided with a big music festival. So we booked tickets for it too.

My girlfriend [20F] of three months only found out about this trip last week, and we’re leaving next week. Totally slipped my mind about telling her but she didn’t seem to care much.

She knows that my friends are big random hookup people and big drug takers, as am I, but I obviously wasn’t planning on random sex in tents this time around.

She sat me down yesterday and told me that she would much prefer that we took a “break” when I’m away on this holiday. She said that whether I did anything or not, it would put her mind at rest and allow her to feel totally at ease with the idea of me getting high surrounded by thousands of pretty, and scarcely covered to be honest, girls.

She said she doesn’t know how she’d react and if she’d be okay with it, and that she’s neither condoning or encouraging me to cheat, but that she’d be more afraid of me resenting her for having to pass up a hookup or threesome because of her than of her getting her feelings hurt.

I hadn’t really thought of this as an option, but now I’m wondering - should I take this ‘free pass’ opportunity? My girlfriend is a beautiful girl and a great partner, but I did really enjoy my hookup days and the excitement of doing it with a girl you didn’t know.

Should I take this free pass in that case? I told her I’d think about it and tell her tonight what my answer is.

And for those who will insist she’s cheating - maybe you’re right, but - she is 1) an ethics student who is probably the most solidly moral compassed person I know, 2) she isn’t a big person to sleep around and 3) she said she’s only suggesting this for me because it’s a ‘special occasion’. She wouldn’t have suggested it if I was just going for a night out or something. She told me within the first month of us dating that she had once felt like she was almost going to cheat on her ex, so she blocked the friend she may have cheated with and told her boyfriend who forgave her and said she did the right thing by telling him.

Tl;Dr - my girlfriend wants to give me a ‘free pass’. Do I take it?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for pointing out the warning signs that my brothers girlfriend is putting out?

My brother has been dating this chick for like 5 years. She’s quiet and barely talks to the family except for my mom when she comes over. My mom says she’s just shy but she seems standoffish and uppity.

I’ll come right out and say I never really liked her. She’s in grad school living off her daddys money while my brother has a high paying finance job. It looks like she was just trying to find a new pay check for when her dad stops covering everything and shes using my brother for that.

My brother arranged a massive proposal where both families and all their friends would come celebrate after he proposed. She really pissed me off at the celebration. If shes really just shy, why is she suddenly all over my brother, kissing him and sitting in his lap and talking to everyone. She was on her phone the whole time taking pictures of her hand and the loving massive ring he bought her. It’s like her whole personality changed once she got what she wanted. On top of that one of my aunts made a joke about them having kids soon and my brothers girlfriend said nope I’m not having kids get ready for some adopted babies. It rubbed me the wrong way that she couldn’t just roll with the joke and needed to assert herself suddenly when she was never even talking to us before.

I told my brother that I don’t think he should marry her becauSe she has bad intentions and was just chasing the stability and finances he provides. He told me to gently caress myself and blocked me on social media. My mom is pissed at me too and told me to get my poo poo together. I don’t really give a shot about reconciling but I’m wondering if I’m in the wrong. Am I the rear end in a top hat for pointing out the red flags that I see everywhere?

quote:

Work builds character and on top of that shes studying a low paying nonsense field using other peoples money. I said the issue was the character change not that she was excited. Now that shes got him locked down and has a massive expensive diamond shes happy but she never was before?

she's studying.... GENDER STUDIES

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [22M] girlfriend [20F] has given me a ‘free pass’ for a holiday abroad. Do I use it?

do it you loving moron. DOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIITTTTTT

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My Boyfriend (23M) encouraged me (21F) not to go on a study abroad trip and then went on it himself.

We have been together for 3 years, so I don't think this issue is worth ending the relationship over.

Really? Because it totally is. When someone tells you who they are, believe them. This guy is telling you he's a piece of poo poo because he is. Believe him, dump him, learn the lesson and move on

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA Mad at my wife’s “prank” and her reneging on promise?

1. Lol
2. Duuuuump
3. The wife coerced him into a sexual encounter that he would not otherwise have engaged in by lying, and he's wondering if he overreacted
4. Lmfao

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She's already picked the guy she's going to gently caress while he's gone.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

datajugend posted:

do it you loving moron. DOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIITTTTTT

Yeah, she's sleeping around or has someone in mind. He should do what he feels like, then see how it goes with the gf when he gets back. Maybe they're both cool with it, maybe not, but whatever, they're 20 and have been together 3 months

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

hahahaha

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My (25F) MIL(69F) thinks that keeping our rural animals outdoors is abusive

quote:

So my MIL is a bit... nuts about animals. When my husband and I were dating, their dog would lie on leather furniture. Their current (and past) purebred cat eats diet wet food with the family on the dinningroom table. She sang songs of their praises. No expense was spared, and putting them down was never an option, regardless of how sick they got. I saw her let a cow lick her on the face once.

Now I like animals as well, but I spent enough time on farms in my life to think that animals belong outside, and they can have jobs.

Husband and I bought acreage this year, and with that we decided to buy some animals (I've always wanted a large dog). We adopted Dog to guard the property and our chickens, and Cat.

Dog is a working dog, and she sleeps and eats outside in the shed. She comes in during storms, or when it gets too cold, but she can only stay in the living room. She gets vet visits of course, but no "gourmet" dog food and the like. Cat keeps mostly outside as well.

Last week, MIL visited us for the first time since we adopted. When she saw how Dog and Cat were living, she flipped her poo poo. She went on and on how Dog needed to stay indoors and only be let out for runs with a coat on (Woman, Dog is bred for the outdoors), how we were abusing her by feeding her a combo of dog and people food, and how neglectful we are since we don't professionally groom her. WHY DO WE HAVE AN UNDERGROUND FENCE?

But then she saw Cat, and went full PETA on our asses. Cat is too "scrawny", we must be starving him. Cat will freeze to death outside. Cat cannot be left to eat the local rodents, it's abusive. WHY ISN'T CAT A LAP CAT?

After badgering us more on the state of our free range chickens (no we don't heat the coop, no it's not cushy in there), we decided to go to a store for some local desert. She saw a horse pulling a cart on the road as we turned out of our lane, and she burst into tears and cried that we were a town of abusers and she wanted to go home.

So she went home, and my husband felt awful and said that we should maybe take into consideration what she said (he grew up in the city). Whatever, MIL can go back to her world where animals sit on 1000 count cotton pillows.

But now we're getting calls from family about our "abuse". We had a family member cancel a visit because they don't want their kids seeing "that".

So how do we fix this before PETA shows up at our doors?

TL;DR : City dwelling MIL saw our outdoor dog, cat, and chickens. Has rallied our family into calling us abusers. How do we fix this before PETA shows up?

EDIT: Just to clear up somethings. Dog is a Great Pyrenees, we specifically adopted her for double coat to stand our Canadian winters. She sleeps in my husband's wood working shed (as does the cat), which is insulated. We are outside a lot. When I'm out, Dog follows me around. She has yet to rip our living room up when she comes in, so I assume she isn't bored, or unstimulated. For those of you who are asking why we even adopted her, we needed a property and livestock guard dog (Both my husband and I also happen to like a dog following us around).

Both Cat and Dog get vet visits. Both are spayed/neutered. They get shots and treatments.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
outdoors cats are an invasive and highly destructive pest though, for the sake of all native flora and fauna don't ever let your pet cats outside. i highly doubt their fence keeps it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

And for those who will insist she’s cheating - maybe you’re right, but - she is 1) an ethics student who is probably the most solidly moral compassed person I know

ahahahahahaha