Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

Alphascape loot is unlocked now. It doesn't matter if someone's cleared the fight (or a later one) each week now, as long as you clear there are two chests. Also everyone gets a datalog upon clearing, and with sufficient datalogs (4-8 depending on what you want to buy) from the appropriate fight you can just trade them for omega gear or upgrade items for tomestones instead of having to get a drop. You buy O9S stuff with Alphascape Datalog v1.0, O10S stuff with Alphascape Datalogs v2.0, etc..

But on release, yeah. 1-4 people having already cleared cuts it down to 1 chest (which those 1-4 people can't roll on) and 5-8 cuts it down to no chests; though everyone gets a datalog the first time they clear a fight each week, no matter whether anyone else has cleared or not.

Wait, it is? Thank you, I saw no mention of that while looking around. Welp, guess it's back to reading how the O9S fight works, since the text guide for that one at least doesn't make my eyes cross as much :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I'm ready for this gosh darn expansion already. That live letter can't come soon enough.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is 5.0 coming the day after Memorial Day?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
no

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Badger of Basra posted:

Is 5.0 coming the day after Memorial Day?

June 28 is when early access starts so that should be when we get 5.0. ShB launches July 2.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh whoops I read June and not July :shepface:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Greader posted:

Wait, it is? Thank you, I saw no mention of that while looking around. Welp, guess it's back to reading how the O9S fight works, since the text guide for that one at least doesn't make my eyes cross as much :v:

You're welcome! What role do you play, out of curiosity? O9S is pretty easy, at least for Savage content, but it does have a couple of nasty spots for healers.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

You're welcome! What role do you play, out of curiosity? O9S is pretty easy, at least for Savage content, but it does have a couple of nasty spots for healers.

I main WHM, so it's probably gonna be a fun experience. Judging by the guide it looks like it's like the original Chaos fight but with a couple more mechanics for each phase, some of which seem pretty interesting. Stuff like having to heal the tanks and healers up to full to prevent insta-death and also let the DPS take lethal damage. Finally I don't have to feel bad about the satisfaction of watching DPS get hit as they keep standing inside an AoE :v:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been redoing MSQ on Balmung and after so long being The Hero I forgot how much you're just some random jerk for a while. Just the person who grabbed the right quest from the adventurers guild.

I don't think it is appreciated enough especially with everyone going "use a skip potion its garbage". Like sure there is a lot of "go pick up rotten garbage" to start with, but thats what adventurers do. Odd jobs until something big comes up and you prove yourself. So its a pretty good gradutation from random adventurer jerk to a competant adventurer jerk the adventurers guild gives bigger things to, to a trusted one that gets called on for important missions, to a core Scion and soldier in the fight against the Primals to a seasoned member of the irregular army serving the whole of the city states to the single biggest hero in Eorzea. It does feel like a natural progression based on your deeds (and natural ability of Echo).

Its not even entirely "youre a wizard harry" chosen one since having the echo wouldnt by itself make you the hero, you still have to back it up. Plenty of scions have similar blessings but they can't pull off the things you can.

I like it a lot more than say WoW where there doesnt feel like theres a natural progression from nobody to hero. Your status is whatever is needed for the plot, and not based on your growth as a person.

I also don't mind the slow pace of the mechanics, because I feel like its worth it to let people who don't play MMOs in on it, and slide them into the genre. I know plenty of people who do not play MMOs as a genre who got caught up in FFXIV because of how it starts and plays. Who get anxious at group content but just threw themselves at the early dungeons and learned to relax and get a handle on the concept because it begins so slow and easy. Experienced players might get bored some but the game spending a lot of time to make people who have never touched an MMO feel welcome and able to grok it is an achievment that gets dismissed offhand a lot.

Individual pieces of it sure it can be argued are flawed (titan, 2.1 2.2,) but overall I think it deserves a lot more praise than people seem willing to give.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Given how everyone in Coerthas treats you even when you're a dragoon, and therefore one of their holiest warriors, I like to imagine that the warrior of light just gives off a huge aura of being either untrustworthy or a dork.

Speaking of which, if you actually do choose their god to worship at character creation, do they treat you any differently? I've noticed more dialogue changes based on class and stuff than I expected.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont think the god ever comes up at all for anything, but i am not rerolling again just to check halone

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
FFXIV is the first time I've felt comfortable doing group MMO content. I played WoW for years but hated dungeons and never did raids because I was always really anxious.

I still don't like bleeding edge progression in this game, but I'm much more relaxed about 4-mans and 8-man normals. It may be slow to start up but this game is quite relaxed, in my experienced.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 18, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tashilicious posted:

I dont think the god ever comes up at all for anything, but i am not rerolling again just to check halone

I'm told it comes up if you get married. The symbols of you and your spouse both pop up showing the gods approve.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The two times I know of something changing based on your patron deity are very small, and not related to the story at all. At some point during a player wedding, two symbols light up on the stained glass behind the players getting married. The symbols that light up are based on the player's deities. The valentines day quest also has something minor that likely uses the player's gods. There are some fortune tellers that will give you a love fortune if you talk to them while grouped with another player. These fortunes are calculated based on your current race, current job, etc. I'm not 100% sure, but I think those fortune tellers also mention the god you have chosen as being one of the factors they use.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Greader posted:

I main WHM, so it's probably gonna be a fun experience. Judging by the guide it looks like it's like the original Chaos fight but with a couple more mechanics for each phase, some of which seem pretty interesting. Stuff like having to heal the tanks and healers up to full to prevent insta-death and also let the DPS take lethal damage. Finally I don't have to feel bad about the satisfaction of watching DPS get hit as they keep standing inside an AoE :v:

Yeah, the doom is the rough spot. Gotta top off tanks and healers while longitude/latitude is going off, and then again when you've got to spread apart soon after to have pairs in stack markers. Tanks and healers should stack beforehand so you're in cure 3 range; earthquake takes a bit for its damage to actually go out, so you can start casting cure 3 as the earthquake cast finishes, or else your heal will go off too early. Just uh... don't get too focused on throwing rocks and forget to heal there, like I tend to when I try to do O9S as a healer :v:

Other than that it's pretty easy. Benison's available for every tankbuster, iirc, though they're tank swaps and there's no immediate damage coming out afterward anyway so benison isn't terribly necessary. Make sure you and the other healer know who's going north and who's going south for meteors, where you go in blaze/earthquake for the stack markers, and that you know how the group is handling the crystal.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tfw you join a farm party and you ask the other tank what strats they want to use but they don't say a word so you go "ok i guess you're pretty confident then guess we'll just roll with whatever" and then they die constantly

:thumbsup:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When you join a farm party and new adventurer bonus pops up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

tfw you join a farm party and you ask the other tank what strats they want to use but they don't say a word so you go "ok i guess you're pretty confident then guess we'll just roll with whatever" and then they die constantly

:thumbsup:

i still don't have any dogs :smith:

not that i'm trying especially hard, i guess, but still

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Leal posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

"This is my alt guys, I swear."

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
"Is the life of an adventure not supposed to be glamorous? Is this job not beneath us?"

"Just pick up the drat rocks."

Glamorous

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh whoops I read June and not July :shepface:
Memorial Day is in May

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
If any one, especially Canadians, are looking into the artbooks, I recommend amazon.co.jp

it's a $130cad/83usd difference :v

I'll let y'all know how long it takes to ship lol

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Memorial Day is in May

Yes, and if you thought the expansion came out June 2 then May 28 would be the day after Memorial Day

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yes, and if you thought the expansion came out June 2 then May 28 would be the day after Memorial Day

Early access starts 6/28 though. I guess I should actually preorder sometime between now and then.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Early access starts 6/28 though. I guess I should actually preorder sometime between now and then.

Yes and the original poster thought the release was June 2, not July 2 ergo the confusion

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Hogama posted:

Today, in Bloodborne Kart

Where did you find this?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cabbit posted:

No, see, but they should. That's my point: discipline priests are a better take on the idea of a healer who nukes stuff because it intermingles the two ideas.

Basically my problem is that there's no interplay between the two things healers in XIV should be doing-- DPSing should feed into healing, and healing should feed into DPSing. There should be synergy and flow between the two sides; right now both sides are sequestered from each other, and I think it ends up making them feel shallow (especially the DPS side).

I got your point already, but *my* point was that with the way they designed cleric stance what you're suggesting is antithetical to how they seem to want healers to function. If what you got from FFXIV is that healers = damage + healing then I don't think you have an accurate picture of what ffxiv's healing paradigm is (predicting damage and mitigating it via precasted heals/shields/regens/powerful OGCD heals, and using the extra GCDs to do dps, so the reward for predicting incoming damage correctly is more outgoing damage).

Now, maybe there will be space for it after we find out how they want to change healers, but we won't know that for just under a week. We do know that the main issue with how healers function now is there isn't really space for another healer, so either they homogenize the crap out of everyone so every healer is the same or we see something much different come out of the live letter.

The Shame Boy posted:

If all the leaks i've seen so far are true, then both Red Mage AND Dark Knight are getting Trick Attack like debuffs (Sole Survivor is apparently being turned into one like that as well) so either these leaks are all fake or we are gonna be doing SO much damage during raid fights.

Wasn't sole survivor being trick attack a thing that was misunderstood in the leadup to stormblood as well?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RDM is a really good class but I hope they do more to distinguish it from other DPS. It doesn't seem like they have any particular gameplay hook. They don't excel at AOE or burst damage or have any specific gimmick. You just keep up a continuous stream of damage. IDK, maybe I'm misremembering what they're like at 70. I've been leveling one but I'm only at 63.

edit: Gameplay-wise they seem to just be "black mage but less so I guess," and a lot of their abilities are the exact same thing with slightly different flavor.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
RDM doesn't really play anything like BLM but it definitely needs something to spice it up, maybe something that uses mana in some way.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wasn't sole survivor being trick attack a thing that was misunderstood in the leadup to stormblood as well?

No, the misunderstanding then was that Sole Survivor would be applied to allies, so you would heal by letting party members die.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FactsAreUseless posted:

RDM is a really good class but I hope they do more to distinguish it from other DPS. It doesn't seem like they have any particular gameplay hook. They don't excel at AOE or burst damage or have any specific gimmick. You just keep up a continuous stream of damage. IDK, maybe I'm misremembering what they're like at 70. I've been leveling one but I'm only at 63.

edit: Gameplay-wise they seem to just be "black mage but less so I guess," and a lot of their abilities are the exact same thing with slightly different flavor.

I mean, that's what red magic is. It's cut rate black magic that doesn't engage in the kind of techniques that full on black mages use which can be damaging to the surrounding aether, filling the gap with cut rate white magic, swordplay, and bravado.

But also you're missing Verflare and Verholy, which are the capstones that finish your gameplay loop and actually reward you for properly managing your mana levels instead of blithely filling the meters.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Nipponophile posted:

No, the misunderstanding then was that Sole Survivor would be applied to allies, so you would heal by letting party members die.

Requiescat was the one that appeared to have a magical vuln up in the press build and people freaked out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Red Mage has a few things which give them a distinct niche.

They're extremely easy to play so they're a low-floor DPS class. They also are capable of healing and ressing which can be useful especially in pickup groups. Verraise isn't as useful now that most people know all the mechanics but believe you me it saved a lot of groups from wipes early on.

They're basically a 'easy' class which is going to be useful barring extreme inept play.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I think it'd be neat for verholy and verflare to combo the way other RDM spells do. Get the gauge built for the melee combo, finish up with Verholy or Verflare, and then possibly get a prompt to use the other spell. Either way, I figure the class could use something to make Verholy and Verflare more distinct from each other.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Long shot, but is anyone playing from the EU on US servers? If so, have you found any of those ping-improvement programs any help? I am around 170ish ping and I really want to bring it down so I can play a bit better and have the game feel tighter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

They're basically a 'easy' class which is going to be useful barring extreme inept play.

I also really like the rhythm of RDM. There's not a set rotation you need to follow, it's a priority system with a distinct ebb and flow. Once you get used to RDM, it's pretty instinctive and easy to adapt based on your circumstances.

Verraise is always useful if you're doing group content of any kind. People are always going to gently caress up, and verraise is a terrific bit of insurance.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Their hook is as a mobile, accessible caster with excellent utility. BLM and SMN take a bit more meta knowledge to play well at 70, whereas RDM can do well by winging it and can help healers more when things go sideways.

Both SAM and RDM play a bit same-y with other similar DPS until 70.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you look in your right hand you will notice there is a rapier there, which is a type of sword (not katana sword). Using this sword you can perform "Weaponskills" which are melee-range damaging abilities (not Abilities). This makes them different from Black Mage and Other Mage, who have had no Weaponskills since the tragic removal of Fracture.

edit: Seriously, though, the underlying complaint of 'RDM is boring' has been me in FC chat for the last two years. Maybe in Spookytown they'll finally get to do something.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
RDM is also very good at soloing old content if you want to slam your face into some valuable desynthables