Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
These crazy rear end 4.6s. Clutched in on a turn and the engine died on me. No one around me thank god but that was a pucker moment. Happened once before in the gt too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

This thing needs clayed badly, but until I get to that when its done raining in a month this is good enough for now.

Dem wheels so much better than the silver ones.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah I wait till the pollen season is over before I even bother with the finish on my car. You will probably have a better time with that since your car is already yellow.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The yellow hides dirt and grime way better than one would expect, but yeah I'm waiting until June to have this thing cleaned up professionally.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The PP wheels are nice but my god are they a pain in the rear end to clean.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I've used this stuff on my bike plastics forever and love it to death. Turns out its also fantastic at keeping poo poo from sticking to your wheels.
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/e10-shine-go-spray-na

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ford is replacing my bumper under warranty for horrid paint and seam lines! Also fixing the out of alignment drivers side rocker panel!

Whoo!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hopefully it turns out better than when you dropped it off. :ohdear:

I don't trust dealers but usually they farm out body stuff so you might get lucky.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I've been buying vehicles from this particular dealer for like 15-16 years now. Honestly they've always treated me well and I've yet to have a bad experience with them (with one exception which was cleared up by the owner of the dealership very quickly).

They have their own shop on site but these guys work on vehicles from their Maserati, Benz, etc. lots as well. Its not just a Ford shop. They move some good money vehicles through their buildings.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

It appears that the POS "x-pipe" that came with my FPP catback cracked and is causing a nasty rattling noise. Should I warranty my PoS xpipe with FPP/Borla, or just buy a true xpipe that isnt 2 stamped sheets welded together? I'm leaning towards true xpipe, the Steeda one looks alright but idk if it'll play nice with my pipes.

E: just got off the phone with borla and they're sending me a new x pipe, just hope this one isn't crap.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 7, 2019

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

My ac quit working so I figured since my car is still under warranty I'd let the dealership deal with it. Well I dropped it off Tuesday, they finally called today. It seems a mouse chewed the gently caress out of the harness going to my ac compressor, currently at 900 and some change to figure out why it wasnt working. Now o gotta wait for my insurance company to get with me, I was really hoping to have my car back this weekend but I dont think that's going to be the case.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question: What's the right fluid to put in my rear end? :q:

2000 Mustang GT, definitely has a limited slip. I think the original recommendation was 80w90, but I found this thread says there's a TSB changing that to 75w140. Now I'm not sure!

I know it needs friction modifier (Ford Racing?), and I'm planning on putting on a Lube Locker because gently caress ever doing that gasket poo poo again.

There's also this kit which includes oil, modifier, and a LubeLocker, but it's 75w90, so I'm not sure if it's even worth considering. The price is decent (LL alone is $22, the friction modifier seems to run about 15, and synthetic isn't cheap).

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I used and would recommend 75W140 Royal Purple synthetic gear oil

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some limited slips with some synthetic gear oils don't need any added friction modifier. I'd get the Lubelocker, dump some good 75w140 synthetic in, and drive it and listen for binding.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks, y'all.

Dumb (probably) related question: How can I view TSBs about my vehicle? The NHTSA has a search page, but it leads to a brief description of the problem and not the full text (nor anything helpful) - quick searching pulled up two that definitely apply to my car:
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION HARD TO SHIFT INTO FIRST/REVERSE FROM A STOP. *TT
  • GEAR WHINE IN 1ST, 3RD AND REVERSE GEARS. *TT
... and I'm sure there are more. I understand Ford isn't going to repair any of this, but if it gave me the info to repair it on my own, I'd be quite happy. There's a "Request Research" option, but it's paid (@ $50/hour and $0.10 a page) and not clear what exactly it will do.

Edit: Paid for Alldata, which is quite decent so far. If anyone needs a TSB for a 2000 (or, probably, 99-04), lemme know. (Unless this is :filez:, in which case never mind.)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, google is failing me (or me it), when did the mustang get a power convertible top? 2005?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My 93 (first terrible car) had a power top.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, google is failing me (or me it), when did the mustang get a power convertible top? 2005?

Wikipedia claims the 1971 Mustangs had a power convertible top: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(first_generation)#Convertible

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Its just like driving a GT350 right?! :v:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
Years ago I bought a 13 new and posted in (I think?) the last mustang thread. Had to have my MT-82 replaced by Ford under warranty, was a huge headache and ordeal. I sold the car in 2014 because I wanted a pickup. Well I still have that pickup truck but we needed a second car so I went out and bought a 2016 6-speed. I figured -- hey -- it' been THREE model years since my 2013 issues, surely the MT-82 is more refined now. People seem to say it's not great but better. I can live with that -- I wasn't looking to do all of the same sort of shenanigans with this car anyway. Most, but not all.

Previous owner already did a lot of the upgrades I would have done out of the box - lowering springs, full exhaust including headers, cold air, louvers, tint, the works. Looked like a pretty sweet turnkey deal. Today the wife and I drove our trusty pickup down to Cincinnati (about 4 hours from me) to scoop her up. Long drive, sure, but I was feeling good about life. It was a bit late in the day when we got there and it took a while to get the paperwork sorted. I moved the car from the spot it had been backed into prior to my arrival to a spot more directly in front of the dealer. This also helped me get a quick feel for the car. Felt great! Everything was coming up Millhouse.

As the people from the Subaru dealer were leaving I paired my phone with the awful stereo and tested. Yes, it plays the lovely music I want to hear just fine! It's time to go - Penn Station East Coast Subs - they make a mean cheesesteak and we don't have any locations close to Ann Arbor. I start the car and the thing literally roars to life. Sounds so good! Time to get this food and get on 75 and tear rear end all the way home. I reached down to put the car in reverse to pull out of the lot.

No reverse. The car literally won't go into reverse. The shifter will not move into the reverse position when disengaging the reverse lockout and attempting to select the gear. It just goes into first, but not that -little bit extra- that reverse is. Everyone at the dealership is gone for the day. I'm four hours from home and I just bought a car that doesn't have reverse. Luckily, I had the salesman's number as we had done most of our communication about the vehicle using my favorite form of social interaction, text message. "Are you sure you're doing it right?" His words to me are jarring but expected. However it's a nastily humid 90 degrees out and my fat 44 year old rear end is getting impatient. In the distance about a half mile away, there is an apartment building burning down. It was on the news -- five units destroyed. A helicopter is hovering overhead near the dealership and thus above me. Over the trees you can see the smoke from the burning of somene's home and possessions. Yes, I tell him, I'm positive I'm doing it right. I ask him to come verify, but that I was stuck in the lot and there was no way I was going to drive a car with no reverse back to Michigan. Reluctantly, he agrees.

Ten minutes later he arrives. I've done my best to be calm about the situation but the panic is starting to take hold. The disbelief that I had just been snakebit by yet another MT-82 is almost overwhelming. These transmissions are such goddamned garbage -- I should have bought a scat pack those come with a Tremec. What in the hell am I doing in Cincinnati? Too late to turn back now, the papers are signed. Wearily I just ask him if he wants to give it a whirl. Of course there's no reverse for him either. He keeps saying "well that's strange because it worked for me just before you came in." I hear it a few times -- this legend of the time before time when the transmission honestly shifted into reverse and propelled the vehicle backwards. It sounds splendid, but for me it is only a fairy tale, and I needed to focus on the present. After the third time or so that he says some variation of the same thing I finally snap and put (maybe a little too much)
bass into my voice and say "Listen I don't care if it worked for you before. It doesn't work for me now and I've just spent 28 grand on a car with no reverse."

The mood changes. We've reached DEFCON 3 and everyone knows it. It's time for the salesman to de-escalate things as quickly as possible. He recognizes this and instantly the boss is called. Of course there's nothing that can be done tonight -- all the techs have gone home. He thinks he knows the problem and will have one of his techs get the fix done as soon as possible. Tomorrow. This is great because everyone knows all the best mechanics work on Saturdays. The salesman now keeps saying the phrase "we want to make things right." He's using it as a mantra and I allow myself to meditate on it. I like the car a great deal just would like to see it go in reverse consistently before removing it from the dealer's lot. We're both aware that there are litigation options available if needed, but that's DEFCON 1 and we're not quite there yet. Maybe the salesman doesn't know that I know this. Maybe the salesman calls me a rube or a mark behind my back when he's talking to his other salesman people. I'm uncertain and unconcerned. Eyes on the prize, Paco -- they just want to make this right. I choose to believe them, despite my better judgement. They offer to reimburse my hotel if I stay in town overnight. This is of course a huge gamble, as if the car isn't able to be fixed on a Saturday by their in-house techs, I'll have wasted two days of my life in Cincinnati. Life is too short to take that risk -- My wife and I do an Oppressive Asian Country fire drill and I slide behind the wheel of my truck and drive the four hours home.

Tune in next time when we find out if Paco ever gets his car back or if he forces the dealer to unwind the deal per lemon law statutes. That should be an interesting episode.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My reverse works fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Reverse works fine. Are you doing the correct lockout? Lift up on the ring, iirc. It got changed for the '15 model year iirc and bit a few new owners.

e: Is this how you were doing it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJlQFNhowI

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 18, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also if it has an aftermarket shift knob make sure it isnt screwed down too tight. Lots of aftermarket knobs will thread low enough to block the lockout collar from fully lifting.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also if it has an aftermarket shift knob make sure it isnt screwed down too tight. Lots of aftermarket knobs will thread low enough to block the lockout collar from fully lifting.

I just woke up and got off the phone with the dealership. You win the prize. Factory shift knob though and I'm like who the hell tightened it? But loosening it was the fix - five minutes. I should have tried this last night instead of freaking out would have saved me some drama.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Huzzah!

The resolution is blue loctite and installing the shift knob with the vehicle in reverse. Had to do that with the GT350 knob I just put on.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's pretty weird, must have had an aftermarket one on it and they put the stock knob back on and tightened it down without thinking.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

That's pretty weird, must have had an aftermarket one on it and they put the stock knob back on and tightened it down without thinking.
A lot of dealer cars have the shift knob removed to prevent theft. Probably had it removed and reinstalled when it was sold.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also since nobody has yet:

loving :lol: that you drove 4 hours to be defeated by a shift knob and have to drive back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

A lot of dealer cars have the shift knob removed to prevent theft. Probably had it removed and reinstalled when it was sold.

I feel like it being a manual is deterrent enough.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

opengl128 posted:

True story: I saw a guy get shot and the only reason the shooter was apprehended is that he didn’t know how to drive stick so he was stuck at the scene. Still tragic overall, but an important lesson too: you never know when that skill will change your life.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also since nobody has yet:

loving :lol: that you drove 4 hours to be defeated by a shift knob and have to drive back.

Right? I felt like the dumbest dumb who ever dumbed. On the other hand, when in doubt don't take delivery. Even if you don't take delivery because you are too stupid to loosen the damned shift knob and the car won't go into reverse because of it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
loving fords. That is all I have to add.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair I don't think I would have ever even thought to check that. Why the gently caress does it even have enough threads so that it's even possible to screw the stock knob on too far?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair I don't think I would have ever even thought to check that. Why the gently caress does it even have enough threads so that it's even possible to screw the stock knob on too far?

Did you not see my post above yours?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Had to put my 2012 MCA Mustang out to pasture. It served us well, but was getting too expensive to keep around. We'll miss it.

Ended up going for a 2019 Veloster N instead. It's honestly better handling and more planted than the Mustang----- the Mustang being of course slightly better off the line. I'm happy with the swap.

Definitely missing the RWD and such, but we'll wait a few years and possibly come back if the RWD sports cars get a renaissance in the next few.... Open to suggestions.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Good color choice on your Mustang :cheers:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
I didn't want to wait for the dealer to drive it up to me so I got up early and drove down again today. This time no incident I brought her home almost 100% in the rain. With headers, h-pipe and flomaster exhaust ITS SO LOUD. I love it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Theft of the shift knob as far as I know. But true enough.

stale meme dot png posted:

I didn't want to wait for the dealer to drive it up to me so I got up early and drove down again today. This time no incident I brought her home almost 100% in the rain. With headers, h-pipe and flomaster exhaust ITS SO LOUD. I love it.
Congrats.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

thetechnoloser posted:

Definitely missing the RWD and such, but we'll wait a few years and possibly come back if the RWD sports cars get a renaissance in the next few.... Open to suggestions.

They need to make a carshare club for Mustang owners that give up their Mustang for something objectively better and more practical, but still miss the Mustang. They should be V8, manual and unfathomably loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

PT6A posted:

They need to make a carshare club for Mustang owners that give up their Mustang for something objectively better and more practical, but still miss the Mustang. They should be V8, manual and unfathomably loud.

No insurance company would ever agree to cover it.