Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Johnny Landmine posted:

As far as I can tell, Asuka identifies as a woman. "Genderless," used as a word in Japanese, doesn't really map exactly to "non-binary." It's used to refer to, like, androgynous fashion etc. a lot more often than it is to people, even among the Japanese LGBTQ community which has far more established terms for NB folks. It's kind of a normie-friendly catch-all term for anything outside cisgender presentation, and I'd be reluctant to assume someone specifically identifies as NB just based on that term.

ok good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Really hoping my friend is willing to join me at the Big Japan show on the 11th; this lineup looks fully sick!

http://www.bjw.co.jp/event_detail.php?id=2436

MassRafTer posted:

Otherwise this might help you: https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi

This link helped immensely, thank you so much.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm counting down to Itoh v Aja Kong. This will be fun!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/metal0515/status/1124518191315611648

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reminder that Dragon Gate's big Dead or Alive show from Aichi is live on the 6th May, 16:00 Japan Time, 08:00 British Summer Time, 03:00 EST.

Glad I checked this because I'd totally convinced myself it was tomorrow.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Full card for DoA

Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, Punch Tominaga, and “brother” YASSHI) and Problem Dragon vs Jason Lee, Yuki Yoshioka, Dragon Dia and Keisuke Okuda
Ryo Saito and K-ness vs “Hollywood” Stalker Ichikawa and Shachihoko Boy
MaxiMuM (Masato Yoshino and Kaito Ishida) vs R.E.D (Eita and Ben-K)
Strong Machine Army (Strong Machine J, Strong Machine F and Strong Machine G) vs Tribe Vanguard (Kagetora, Yosuke Santa Maria and KAI)
Susumu Yokosuka defends the Open The Brave Gate title against U-T
R.E.D (Yasushi Kanda, Takashi Yoshida and Kazma Sakamoto) defend the Open The Triangle Gate titles against Mochizuki Dojo (Masaaki Mochizuki, Hyo Watanabe and Kota Minoura)
PAC defends the Open The Dream Gate title against Dragon Kid
Kzy (Natural Vibes) vs YAMATO (Tribe Vanguard) vs Shun Skywalker (Mochizuki Dojo) vs Naruki Doi (MaxiMuM) vs Big R Shimizu (R.E.D) in a "Bonds" Steel Cage Survival 5 Way*

*Rules for the main event: 4 flags at the top of the cage. Getting a flag earns you an escape. Representative that doesn’t get a flag is loser and must kick a member out of their unit. Who that member is will be left totally up to the representative, but the removal of one member is mandatory. (For escaping the cage, escaped representatives gain an optional right to kick out a member of their unit. This is also purely left to their discretion and they don't have to use it if they feel there are no problem members in their unit)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 4, 2019

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
so the rules are if you win you can kick a guy out of your team, but if you lose you have to kick a guy out of your team? if you want to boot someone shouldn't you just lose?

also are two of the Machines DG regulars under the masks?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

I assume so. J's the son of Super Strong Machine (Junji Hirata)

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

so the rules are if you win you can kick a guy out of your team, but if you lose you have to kick a guy out of your team? if you want to boot someone shouldn't you just lose?

I assume it’s Fuji and gamma by the letters and it seemed like them in the match.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've never seen any Kento Miyahara matches. Any recommendations on youtube?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mariooncrack posted:

I've never seen any Kento Miyahara matches. Any recommendations on youtube?

Well, this was one of the very first Kento matches I saw, vs Marufuji last April. For background, it was the final of Champion Carnival, they'd both finished on 10 points in their group, with 2 losses a piece. Kento lost to Shingo Takagi & Joe Doering, Naomichi lost to Suwama & Zeus.
Assuming that did anything for you, they matched up again 1 month later, this time with the Triple Crown on the line.

A couple older matches, from 2017, vs Shuji Ishikawa at Ryoguku, Ishikawa beat Kento in May to win the title, has had 2 successful defences & now at the 45th Anniversary show they rematch and vs Suwama at Korakuen Hall. Suwama wins Royal Road, AJPW's single knockout tournament, beating his Violent Giants partner Ishikawa in the final. His reward, a match with Kento

I'll also add that I've not seen it yet but the Champion Carnival final from this year has gotten very good reviews. Kento vs Jake Lee

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Gonna go to a Big Japan show on Saturday and I'm hype as all heck.

I'm an american who goes to local and regional shows and there's a lot of hooting, hollering, and heckling. Are there any cultural things I should respect? I've noticed that Japanese crowds are quieter and more polite, but I'd definitely like to walk in with a bit more knowledge than that so I don't embarrass myself and the friend I'm draggin' along.

Thanks in advance!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxg6z5dGNaw

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

"No excessive drinking"

this is a personal attack :smith:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i deeply enjoy the idea of being surrounded by courteous deathmatch fans.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

go study that one dude that got called out by Stardom for being too obnoxious. Don't do any of the things he did and you'll be fine.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

the escape goat posted:

Gonna go to a Big Japan show on Saturday and I'm hype as all heck.

I'm an american who goes to local and regional shows and there's a lot of hooting, hollering, and heckling. Are there any cultural things I should respect? I've noticed that Japanese crowds are quieter and more polite, but I'd definitely like to walk in with a bit more knowledge than that so I don't embarrass myself and the friend I'm draggin' along.

Thanks in advance!

Do clap
Do react audibly
Don't heckle and holler
Don't try to start a chant

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
If you can grasp the most basic fundamentals of reading a room you'll be fine in a Japanese audience. "Don't heckle" like Adaptabullshit said is the only major difference that you might not pick up on with just the slightest amount of common sense. Even at smaller shows, audiences here don't expect direct rapport with wrestlers while they're in the ring (unless it's like, them waving to acknowledge someone shouting out their name before the bell) so seeking that will come across as weird, doubly so if nobody understands what you're saying but it sounds negative.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Oh, and do move out of the way if you see the wrestlers coming over to brawl in your section. Especially if you sit in the folding chairs section of Korakuen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

And don't steal a taxicab. The local police are real sick of gaijin doing that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

coconono posted:

And don't steal a taxicab. The local police are real sick of gaijin doing that.

:stare:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Looks like Noah is doing a special Misawa Memorial doubleheader in Osaka and Tokyo

https://www.instagram.com/marufuji_naomichi_/p/BxOo0Bolwdx/

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, they do one every year in Korakuen but this is the tenth year anniversary. I think they said they'll go back to the green mat just for those shows. It's headlined by Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Takashi Sugiura for the GHC.

I chose to do that over going to Osaka for Dominion to save money and because Fortune Dream (Kobashi's produce show) is the next day.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/tsurutaoh/status/995912557146750976

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris Brookes is coming to DDT

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1129951010372214784

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Bummer this means he won't be showing up in NJPW, but this video rules.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ganso Bomb posted:

Bummer this means he won't be showing up in NJPW, but this video rules.
I love the dedication to recreate the NJPW one shot for shot and to not actually damaging the counter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chris Brookes was in a drag bar.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

coconono posted:

Chris Brookes was in a drag bar.

I was there last week!

My brief take on the Big Japan show-

Way more families than I’d expected. Like... a startling amount of them, and super young children.

Drew Parker and all of the other wrestlers were out and available to chat with and buy shirts from, which was great. Got his autograph, which consists of him scrawling “DREW” on a blank page and then smearing his bloody face on it. Owns.

Much different feel in Tokyo than any US shows I’ve been to; it was a lot of surprisingly charming fun.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

the escape goat posted:

I was there last week!

My brief take on the Big Japan show-

Way more families than I’d expected. Like... a startling amount of them, and super young children.

Drew Parker and all of the other wrestlers were out and available to chat with and buy shirts from, which was great. Got his autograph, which consists of him scrawling “DREW” on a blank page and then smearing his bloody face on it. Owns.

Much different feel in Tokyo than any US shows I’ve been to; it was a lot of surprisingly charming fun.
Was this at Shin Kiba 1st Ring?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris Brookes is getting a KO-D Openweight title shot
https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1132277915830312961

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/alljapan_eng/status/1133004460756750337

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

More like Dorkside

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm going to be in Japan from October 27 to November 11. My plan is to go see the DDT Sumo Hall show on 11/3, as well as NJPW Power Struggle, though I'm still waiting for a date announcement on that (it's always the first or second weekend of November in Osaka, I guess). Also thinking I'm gonna see Stardom at Korakuen on 11/4.

Anyone have thoughts on how best to get a ticket for the DDT show? I think they're already on sale, and there is an online ticketing portal, but I'm assuming it's one of those weird ones where you need a Japanese address or to pick up tickets at a 7-11 within 30 days of purchase or some other poo poo. I saw an old Reddit thread where someone recommended https://buysumotickets.com/, anyone have experience with that?

Also, re: Sumo Hall: how weird and awkward is sharing a box seat as a solo attendee? Should I just go with a 2F ticket?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
according to the emails i always get, ddt tickets tend to work on a lottery system

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

I'm going to be in Japan from October 27 to November 11. My plan is to go see the DDT Sumo Hall show on 11/3, as well as NJPW Power Struggle, though I'm still waiting for a date announcement on that (it's always the first or second weekend of November in Osaka, I guess). Also thinking I'm gonna see Stardom at Korakuen on 11/4.

Anyone have thoughts on how best to get a ticket for the DDT show? I think they're already on sale, and there is an online ticketing portal, but I'm assuming it's one of those weird ones where you need a Japanese address or to pick up tickets at a 7-11 within 30 days of purchase or some other poo poo. I saw an old Reddit thread where someone recommended https://buysumotickets.com/, anyone have experience with that?

Also, re: Sumo Hall: how weird and awkward is sharing a box seat as a solo attendee? Should I just go with a 2F ticket?

You can buy DDT tickets from outside Japan via their online ticketing system if you pay by credit card (i.e. you can't do convenience store payment because there's a two day deadline). If you pay by credit card you can pick up until the day of the event. I'd strongly also recommend the YMZ Korakuen show on October 29th, it's a really funny micro-indie run by Kaori Yoneyama that translates all its shows into English on their streaming service and the cheapest tickets are only 2000jpy.

I lucked out when I went to the last DDT Sumo Hall show and got the box to myself so I can't say how awkward it would be, but it's surely not as bad as doing it at a NJPW show where they stuff four people into those boxes.

Feel free to send me a DM if you need any help getting tickets to anything.

mikeycp posted:

according to the emails i always get, ddt tickets tend to work on a lottery system

This is for fanclub ticketing, mainly for the free shows like the upcoming Peter Pan or the street/train/amusement park/forest/etc. pro wrestling where they can put a limited amount of fans onto their minibus.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This is for fanclub ticketing, mainly for the free shows like the upcoming Peter Pan or the street/train/amusement park/forest/etc. pro wrestling where they can put a limited amount of fans onto their minibus.

well that makes sense i guess since it's the fanclub emails.

and i guess while we're talking about japan vacation wrestling, what are my options in the kansai area nov 8-13. i haven't found much since it's so far out, but i'm no expert. also i'll be in shikoku 17-22 if there's anything there?

tiny local stuff is fine i just wanna see some graps.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Anyone looking for indie shows and/or to fill out a Japan trip should keep an eye on Puwota if you're not already familiar. It's a useful, zero-frills calendar showing pretty much every wrestling show in Japan. The English version is pretty clearly machine-translated but that shouldn't be a problem.

November's pretty far out so it doesn't look like much has been announced for Kansai yet.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/gregmep/status/1133901884580933633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DDT has Konosuke locked up under a deal, right?