Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Man, /dote looks really awkward if you pause it right

It also looks really cool when you pause it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Are there any White Mage macros that are really worthwhile? I've been looking into them after a tank, post-roulette run, suggested that I'd find them helpful but beyond the TT attacks and maybe Swiftcast/Raise I've not come across any that really seem all that critical. Most of them seem like they'd be a minor convenience when they weren't actually making it more difficult than is necessary. As it is I have a hotbar I use just for Duties that's healing focused rather than all-purpose and that seems to be working fine, but what the gently caress do I know? Maybe I'm missing out on something really useful.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You aren't missing anything, and try to stay away from macros you use in combat. Triggering a skill through a macro adds a delay to it and prevents it from queueing up for faster casting. Even something like /ac cure II <tt> can delay your heal by up to half a second. Using it on attacks will have the same delay, and could add up to around a 15 reduction in damage/healing throughout the fight.

A swift cast res macro with a line of text is the only macro that I can see being useful for a healer, because it could prevent healers from both casting res at the same time, but in my experience it just doesn't work. You either don't include a delay into the cast, increasing the likelihood of something breaking and having to spam your chat message, or you do add a delay, which doesn't solve the initial problem of healers doubling up resses on a dead player.

Was there any particular thing that person suggested you use macros for? I know some people like them as an alternative to targeting players when they heal using a controller, but that is not necessary at all, and there are better ways to do it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rantmo posted:

Are there any White Mage macros that are really worthwhile? I've been looking into them after a tank, post-roulette run, suggested that I'd find them helpful but beyond the TT attacks and maybe Swiftcast/Raise I've not come across any that really seem all that critical. Most of them seem like they'd be a minor convenience when they weren't actually making it more difficult than is necessary. As it is I have a hotbar I use just for Duties that's healing focused rather than all-purpose and that seems to be working fine, but what the gently caress do I know? Maybe I'm missing out on something really useful.

/p I am a very crucial member of the party tank don't overpull or I'm not healing you dps don't take aggro or you can lay on the floor.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Leal posted:

/p I am a very crucial member of the party tank don't overpull or I'm not healing you dps don't take aggro or you can lay on the floor.

Wrong, If you are a WHM you should be telling the tank TO over pull so you can get that sweet holy spam

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SpRahl posted:

Wrong, If you are a WHM you should be telling the tank TO over pull so you can get that sweet holy spam

Correct. If the tank dies during a trash pull it isn't because I failed at healing them, but because the DPS was also trash and didn't kill everything in time. If Assize can't keep the tank alive then that is the price we'll have to pay.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cabbit posted:

I'm not really sure I want SAM to have utility, because I like it being the BLM of melee, but at the same time being the BLM of melee is sort of redundant if BLM does the same thing but from range and better.

Keep in mind that by “utility” I mean “brotherhood but for SAM” not like the ranged physical DPS stuff. From everything I saw, the personal DPS of a Sam wasn’t high enough to justify losing the DPS gain across the party, but I am probably out of date on that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SpRahl posted:

Not if you're an honest healer!

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Votekick crybabies like this right before the final boss. Their instaqueues have spoiled them, and wasting their time is the only way they'll learn.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Bleu posted:

Votekick crybabies like this right before the final boss. Their instaqueues have spoiled them, and wasting their time is the only way they'll learn.

what if my response to any dps pulling threat ahead of me is surprise because holy poo poo how do you run faster than sprint

actually the thing that annoys me the most is dps who start dotting poo poo I've only used a single unleash/flash/overpower on so I lose threat on them before the pull is finished. I'm gonna let you die if you do that because gently caress you.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Tenik posted:

Was there any particular thing that person suggested you use macros for? I know some people like them as an alternative to targeting players when they heal using a controller, but that is not necessary at all, and there are better ways to do it.

When I played a healer in WoW, addons like Clique and mouseover macros spoiled me when healing.

I was hoping to do the same thing in this game, but what are some of the "better" ways to heal?

I haven't actually played a healer yet, but it's on my radar. I was hoping to start with WHM, but the idea of raid healing seems really daunting with that many targets.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
healing in FFXIV is a lot more laid back than in WoW because outside of tankbusters, which are very predictable, the only time someone will lose a ton of HP in an instant is if they monumentally gently caress up

plus given the way dungeons are in the game, you'll start out really easy and gradually build up to more complex stuff. the game really eases you in to whatever role you're trying.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 19, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

GunblazeGriffin posted:

When I played a healer in WoW, addons like Clique and mouseover macros spoiled me when healing.

I was hoping to do the same thing in this game, but what are some of the "better" ways to heal?

I haven't actually played a healer yet, but it's on my radar. I was hoping to start with WHM, but the idea of raid healing seems really daunting with that many targets.

Well for one there's way fewer targets to heal, and because the incoming damage is predictable as hell, the point of it isn't reactive healing like wow, it's planning ahead. There are a couple of rough dungeons for healing, although a lot of that is more because tanks need to keep their gear up and don't. If you think you want to try it, just try it. If you're in a goon FC we'll give you good advice, and if you're not just ask here and we'll give you good advice.

The main difference you'll find is you don't need addons and mouseover macros all that much because the pace of healing is much slower and more deliberate. You're predicting incoming damage and using the correct tools from the combined toolbox of you and your cohealer's most efficient stuff. The challenge is in figuring out who does what where so you're not wasting things, and then doing mechanics while also doing your (simpler) dps rotation. If you try to apply predicting incoming damage while you level up in dungeons, that will serve you pretty well. You'll also learn how to clean up when you didn't predict something, because obviously when you see something for the first time you won't have a 100% prediction rate, but that's also a good skill to have for dungeons, since a single person making a mistake there is generally way worse than in normal raids.

I think some people do use mouseover macros anyway, but it's mainly so that they can keep a dps target, I think. I have zero experience with them so someone who does that would have to chime in. It's not a necessity at all, though. You can heal the hardest content in the game on a controller.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Leal posted:

I had a tank the other day that just kept pulling and running and I couldn't keep LOS for any of my Cures to complete. It was an astonishing display. On the other hand I also once had a tank that was pulling faster than I could keep up with but was really cool about slowing their tempo so I could keep up, so that was nice.

I didn't have any specific macros suggested to me, they just advised checking Reddit for it (which I did but was useless.)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I graduated from being a catgirl today.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok thank god the main story quest when you get outside of titan fetch quest hell really picks up. Liking that there is finally a new area to see too.

For triple triad (which I cannot stop playing) What should I be spending my Golden saucer points on ? I have 30 cards now so I can use 2* cards.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I racechanged to Thighlander today. Never looking back.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

what if my response to any dps pulling threat ahead of me is surprise because holy poo poo how do you run faster than sprint

actually the thing that annoys me the most is dps who start dotting poo poo I've only used a single unleash/flash/overpower on so I lose threat on them before the pull is finished. I'm gonna let you die if you do that because gently caress you.
Don't be a whiny douche and just tank, nobody dies if you lose aggro for a sec on something

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

rantmo posted:

I had a tank the other day that just kept pulling and running and I couldn't keep LOS for any of my Cures to complete. It was an astonishing display. On the other hand I also once had a tank that was pulling faster than I could keep up with but was really cool about slowing their tempo so I could keep up, so that was nice.

I didn't have any specific macros suggested to me, they just advised checking Reddit for it (which I did but was useless.)

this is why god invented sprint

keeping people alive in this game is easy. healer mastery is directly correlated with how low you let someone's health get without them dying in the name of slamming stone into everything that moves

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Fleet_of_Foot

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Like other people have said, damage comes in slow and predictable patterns, which makes WoW style quick spot healing unnecessary. The main trick for efficient healing in ffxiv is knowing how to queue skills up without clipping your gcd, and being able to quickly switch targets. If you are on a controller, there is a great feature called "soft-targeting" that makes this very easy.

Assist targeting: Set up a button with "assist target" bound to it. This will let you see your target's target, and makes it really easy to switch between tanks and bosses. Make sure this is something you can access quickly and easily. On PC, I use the V key. When I play with a controller, I use L3.

Soft targeting (controller only): when you scroll through your party list with up and down on the d-pad, you can cast spells on the party member your cursor is over without actually targeting them. This makes it very easy to quickly heal a DPS without changing your target.

Other targeting tips: You can focus target a tank or a boss, and set up a special button to quickly switch to your focus target. I personally find this a bit slow, but I know some people love it for raiding and switching between main tanks and off tanks. People who do this also quickly press O then X to stop targeting the tank, and re-target the nearest enemy (normally the raid boss). This can be further optimized with targeting filters for controllers, which can be used to change how your target is automatically assigned when you press X. You can even setup different filters for when you have your weapon drawn or sheathed, if you want to use that to quickly setup a healing and damage mode for targeting.

Healing on the Global Cool Down: you probably already know this, but some spells have cast times, and some don't. When you use a spell with a cast time, they usually take a full GCD to finish their cast. When you press your next spell's cast button, you will queue up the next spell to cast as soon as you current spell is finished. For example, if you are casting Stone on a boss, and know that the tank will need a heal in 2.5 seconds, and that you will want to go back to DPSing after you cast your heal this is what you do: target the boss, start casting stone and switch targets to the tank. Press the button to queue up your heal spell while your damage spell is still being cast, switch targets back to the boss, and press the button to cast your damaging spell when your heal starts casting. Switching targets like that might sound complicated when you read it, but you have around five seconds to do it in game, which is more than enough time.

Weaving Instant Spells and oGCDs: Some skills that healers have are instant and on the global cooldown (ex: Regen instantly applies its buff and has no cast time, but it will still set off the global cooldown that prevents casting many other spells) and other skills are oGCD, or off the global cooldown. oGCD spells don't take any time to go off and are not effected by the global cooldown (ex: Assize is an oGCD that heals and does damage in a large aoe centered on the caster). Instant cast spells on the GCD and oGCDs can be weaved together to quickly heal or do damage. DPS should do this all the time, but as a healer you need to be a bit smarter about how you weave your stuff together. For example: As a WHM, you want to dump a ton of healing into a tank without sacrificing damage. The best way to do this is to cast Aero 1 to instantly apply its DoT and start your GCD, then cast the oGCD Assize for it's aoe heal/damage, switch targets to the tank and cast Regen. Once your second GCD begins by casting Regen, use the oGCD Tetragramaton to heal the tank, and switch back to the boss and start casting Stone. The end result is a fuckton of healing from your instant casts, a regen buff on the tank for extra healing over time, and decent damage on the boss, all within two GCDs. You could also change the order of tetragramaton and assize, but that will slow you down a bit, since tetra requires a friendly target while assize will be effective regardless of who you have targeted. This is something that's fancy, and you won't have to think about it until you hit ~level 55, and isn't even necessary for regular dungeons or trials, but it is a way to optimize your healing and damage while making switching targets easy and fast.

World War Mammories posted:

keeping people alive in this game is easy. healer mastery is directly correlated with how low you let someone's health get without them dying in the name of slamming stone into everything that moves

This is 100% true. I know I'm tanking for a good healer when I see my health drop to 10%

Tenik fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2019

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rantmo posted:

i kind of like insane tanks/idiotic dps. really makes dungeons interesting

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't be a whiny douche and just tank, nobody dies if you lose aggro for a sec on something

Generally all they have to do is bring the thing in. If I turn around to get it again I take a bunch of extra damage and the healer has to deal with that, and generally I don’t want to point all the other garbage at the party, plus dealing with it in the moment means I’m not pulling everything.

So how about you shove it in thinking I’m being a whiny douche instead of having reasons that make poo poo worse for everyone for why I’m not turning the dungeon around to help save a single dipshit who can’t find their aggro dump.

I swear you people have been broken by some lovely pub tank that all you see is primadonna flash across your eyes if anyone says things can be annoying for a tank.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

You seem really angry about having to hit flash/unleash/overpower a second time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Generally all they have to do is bring the thing in. If I turn around to get it again I take a bunch of extra damage and the healer has to deal with that, and generally I don’t want to point all the other garbage at the party, plus dealing with it in the moment means I’m not pulling everything.

So how about you shove it in thinking I’m being a whiny douche instead of having reasons that make poo poo worse for everyone for why I’m not turning the dungeon around to help save a single dipshit who can’t find their aggro dump.

I swear you people have been broken by some lovely pub tank that all you see is primadonna flash across your eyes if anyone says things can be annoying for a tank.

You're every pubby tank anyone has made fun of itt. "Waaah I had to hit Overpower 1 more time cause they dotted before I got to my aoe hit of my rotation."

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dots are a great way to keep up dps as the tank moves from one pack to another and intentionally letting a DPS die for it instead of tossing out an unmend or whatever is the very picture of a tank primadonna.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Dots are a great way to keep up dps as the tank moves from one pack to another and intentionally letting a DPS die for it instead of tossing out an unmend or whatever is the very picture of a tank primadonna.

Lmao just bind your threat dump ya big baby

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
if you're gonna move so slowly from pack to pack that i wind up dropping gl3, i'm gonna tab off to see if there's a project binky update and do the bare minimum of keeping the illusion that i'm doing my combo

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not playing with goons sounds like a better idea by the day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i also haven't run a dungeon as monk in like 3 months

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that topic, what's the ideal way for a healer to handle a tank doing the sprint and mass pull thing in dungeons pre-Tetragrammaton and stuff? Putting Regen on them results in some of the monsters targeting me instead sometimes, which some tanks dislike, so I figure I should ask if there's a better way of doing things I don't know yet. It hasn't really been a problem yet, but I'm still learning things after being away for five years, so.

Also, MSQ-wise I'm at the point where I'm handing out uniforms for Alphinaud's new army thing; how close am I to unlocking the HW content?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 19, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Everybody makes mistakes and part of the fun and occasional frustration of MMOs is sometimes playing with people who know more than you and getting embarrassed by your own mistakes, and sometimes having to deal with people who know less than you and figuring out how to deal with their mistakes. When I gently caress up I like it when people explain to me what I did wrong, and I can work on improving, and ditto when I see somebody do something goofy in a dungeon or trial I find it best to either get them to correct their mistake, or adjust to their inexperience (by focusing more on healing, pulling smaller packs, etc.). I can't see how this kind of game could possibly be fun if you're going into it with an axe to grind against other players-- does grandstanding and letting people die on purpose really make the thing be over with any faster?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Whenever someone dies or we wipe, and someone says sorry, I just tell them it's no big deal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Roland Jones posted:

On that topic, what's the ideal way for a healer to handle a tank doing the sprint and mass pull thing in dungeons pre-Tetragrammaton and stuff? Putting Regen on them results in some of the monsters targeting me instead sometimes, which some tanks dislike, so I figure I should ask if there's a better way of doing things I don't know yet. It hasn't really been a problem yet, but I'm still learning things after being away for five years, so.

Also, MSQ-wise I'm at the point where I'm handing out uniforms for Alphinaud's new army thing; how close am I to unlocking the HW content?

holy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Argas posted:

Whenever someone dies or we wipe, and someone says sorry, I just tell them it's no big deal.
There's even an auto-translate option for "Don't worry about it" under Tactics

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I have and will continue to happily let dipshits die who steal agro, don't use their agro dumps and run away with their loving mob. You want to die so badly enjoy it, me and the healer I queue with will let you die. And if I'm the healer I'll happily leave you to die as well, I have a tank to keep up through the fight and dots to drop, your dumb rear end just put yourself on the bottom of my priority list. You say we are spoiled for our instant queues I'd say learn to do the most basic things to make a run flow smoothly without causing everyone else trouble, there are a thousand more dps that would love your spot and if you act like a rear end in a top hat and do poo poo like sprint as a ninja ahead of the tank to start the fight we have NO obligation to keep you in the group. If you so desperately want to pull and get punched in the face, play tank. You'll live longer and healer is obligated to at least attempt to keep your rear end up. And maybe you'll make the queue better when I decide I feel like playing Summoner or Samurai myself.

As a side note, the only time I ever feel its a little justified for players to do this poo poo is Black Mages trying to offload their foul as quickly as possible and monks hoping to maintain GL. They at least have a decent reason for it even if its not always possible to maintain GL. MAYBE Bards though that'd require their being a bard in my runs that plays well enough to notice they have shiny buttons to press. Ninjas, Samurai, Summoners, Red Mages, ALL HEALERS, Dragoon, Machinist have no reason to and its always the Ninjas that do this idiocy, one would assume that they are ON ninja to facilitate being a idiot. Special mention to the several white mages I've had who rather then be intelligent have SWIFT CAST STONE into a group I'm running to agro so that I miss one AND they lose out on a good holy. Hell even if you WANT to be that idiot on white mage WHY SWIFTCAST STONE?! you have Aero which is instant cast already.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

i always say "haha don't worry about it", but offline in the real world im very mad

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do you have to be online to receive a FC invite? I’m still waiting to get into DGKK.

Character is Cid Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Playing tank or healer and saving idiots from themselves is what keeps raking in the commends and also keeps the dungeon moving along so I'll keep doing it.