Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I use Holy in fights, yes. I mean during the running part, is there anything I should do then besides running after the tank and hitting the mobs the tabk already secured with Aero as we go? My first inclination is to have Regen on the tank, but as stated they don't always like that, and I tend to be anxious so I wonder if I'm doing things wrong or whatever.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Chaeden posted:

I have and will continue to happily let dipshits die who steal agro, don't use their agro dumps and run away with their loving mob. You want to die so badly enjoy it, me and the healer I queue with will let you die. And if I'm the healer I'll happily leave you to die as well, I have a tank to keep up through the fight and dots to drop, your dumb rear end just put yourself on the bottom of my priority list. You say we are spoiled for our instant queues I'd say learn to do the most basic things to make a run flow smoothly without causing everyone else trouble, there are a thousand more dps that would love your spot and if you act like a rear end in a top hat and do poo poo like sprint as a ninja ahead of the tank to start the fight we have NO obligation to keep you in the group. If you so desperately want to pull and get punched in the face, play tank. You'll live longer and healer is obligated to at least attempt to keep your rear end up. And maybe you'll make the queue better when I decide I feel like playing Summoner or Samurai myself.

As a side note, the only time I ever feel its a little justified for players to do this poo poo is Black Mages trying to offload their foul as quickly as possible and monks hoping to maintain GL. They at least have a decent reason for it even if its not always possible to maintain GL. MAYBE Bards though that'd require their being a bard in my runs that plays well enough to notice they have shiny buttons to press. Ninjas, Samurai, Summoners, Red Mages, ALL HEALERS, Dragoon, Machinist have no reason to and its always the Ninjas that do this idiocy, one would assume that they are ON ninja to facilitate being a idiot. Special mention to the several white mages I've had who rather then be intelligent have SWIFT CAST STONE into a group I'm running to agro so that I miss one AND they lose out on a good holy. Hell even if you WANT to be that idiot on white mage WHY SWIFTCAST STONE?! you have Aero which is instant cast already.

say it dont spray it

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Everybody makes mistakes and part of the fun and occasional frustration of MMOs is sometimes playing with people who know more than you and getting embarrassed by your own mistakes, and sometimes having to deal with people who know less than you and figuring out how to deal with their mistakes. When I gently caress up I like it when people explain to me what I did wrong, and I can work on improving, and ditto when I see somebody do something goofy in a dungeon or trial I find it best to either get them to correct their mistake, or adjust to their inexperience (by focusing more on healing, pulling smaller packs, etc.). I can't see how this kind of game could possibly be fun if you're going into it with an axe to grind against other players-- does grandstanding and letting people die on purpose really make the thing be over with any faster?

Actually usually yes, especially if they are ACTIVELY trolling on purpose. If they are dead then they can't run to open a chest or agro the next group to force you to deal with them until that's dealt with. And usually if you let them die they DO stop doing the idiot behavior. And even being a poo poo dps they are usually better then a actively trying to be a fucker dps that gets others killed. (There's a reason I stop at the Marlboro in Swallows every time rather then pulling it. Too many times people have built up their agro on it so that when we finally get to position it just spins on the party and breaths them while forcing me to stay in other aoe's to not be hit by his.) My general policy is 1. Notice what they are doing. 2. Ask them to stop. 3. Receive their whining about being called out for it. Occasionally complete with 'you don't pay my sub' as explanation for actively trying to make a dungeon run more difficult. 4. Watch for it to happen again. 5. let them die and get them out of the party before they or their potential second in the group can open a chest.

Somebody makes mistakes that's fine, somebody wants to learn or apologizes for things they've done that's fine. Someone actively doing things on purpose to make the run worse can get the gently caress out and enjoy their queue.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roland Jones posted:

I use Holy in fights, yes. I mean during the running part, is there anything I should do then besides running after the tank and hitting the mobs with Aero as we go? My first inclination is to have Regen on the tank, but as stated they don't always like that, and I tend to be anxious so I wonder if I'm doing things wrong or whatever.

Don't Regen the tank until they're in the right location and can throw out some threat. Get a Cure 2 ready. Swiftcast Holy can buy some time. If they die before that, well that's on them.

e: With Regen on them, as soon as they Shield Lob / body pull / mob spawns, you will have aggro. It's not worth it until the fight actually starts.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m generally pretty chill about people dying in stuff, but it’s when it happens repeatedly, and to the same mechanics; that’s when I start to get a little grumpy. Especially when they get told the mechanics after the first time to make sure they have it right.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Don't Regen the tank until they're in the right location and can throw out some threat. Get a Cure 2 ready. Swiftcast Holy can buy some time. If they die before that, well that's on them.

e: With Regen on them, as soon as they Shield Lob / body pull / mob spawns, you will have aggro. It's not worth it until the fight actually starts.

Gotcha, was figuring that. The tank dying ASAP has only been a problem once or twice, and Regen admittedly wouldn't have done much to help them survive the 15+ mobs they got on themselves all at once, but since I'm a healer I still worry that, besides having been quicker on Benediction maybe, there was something else I could have done whenever anyone dies, even if no one is mad. (Except OHKOs, which ironically have been the most times people actually have gotten mad at me for the party wiping, despite, you know, it being literally impossible for me to heal through them failing the mechanics like that.)

And yeah, Swiftcast Holy is fun. I need to be better at remembering to use it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 19, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i never use my threat dumps because how else am i supposed to assert dominance

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At higher levels you can totally regen the tank and pull a few things off of them with it and be cool and chill by running to the tank so they can easily pull them back off of you. Puts you in perfect range to holy things too.

UHD posted:

I always use dispersion because that's how I assert dominance over dudes who don't and die for it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Wow, whole lot of unsourced OF quotes getting posted today.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chaeden posted:

I have and will continue to happily let dipshits die who steal agro, don't use their agro dumps and run away with their loving mob. You want to die so badly enjoy it, me and the healer I queue with will let you die. And if I'm the healer I'll happily leave you to die as well, I have a tank to keep up through the fight and dots to drop, your dumb rear end just put yourself on the bottom of my priority list. You say we are spoiled for our instant queues I'd say learn to do the most basic things to make a run flow smoothly without causing everyone else trouble, there are a thousand more dps that would love your spot and if you act like a rear end in a top hat and do poo poo like sprint as a ninja ahead of the tank to start the fight we have NO obligation to keep you in the group. If you so desperately want to pull and get punched in the face, play tank. You'll live longer and healer is obligated to at least attempt to keep your rear end up. And maybe you'll make the queue better when I decide I feel like playing Summoner or Samurai myself.

As a side note, the only time I ever feel its a little justified for players to do this poo poo is Black Mages trying to offload their foul as quickly as possible and monks hoping to maintain GL. They at least have a decent reason for it even if its not always possible to maintain GL. MAYBE Bards though that'd require their being a bard in my runs that plays well enough to notice they have shiny buttons to press. Ninjas, Samurai, Summoners, Red Mages, ALL HEALERS, Dragoon, Machinist have no reason to and its always the Ninjas that do this idiocy, one would assume that they are ON ninja to facilitate being a idiot. Special mention to the several white mages I've had who rather then be intelligent have SWIFT CAST STONE into a group I'm running to agro so that I miss one AND they lose out on a good holy. Hell even if you WANT to be that idiot on white mage WHY SWIFTCAST STONE?! you have Aero which is instant cast already.

You suck, dude.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Wow, whole lot of unsourced OF quotes getting posted today.
For some reason tanks are convinced everyone else needs them, instead of recognizing that tanking, as a design idea, isn't interesting.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really like playing my astrologian but I know I suck because my gameplay is 'target person, cast heal, target enemy, nuke, target other person, cast heal' etc. I'm never healing a tank with an oGCD while still nuking a mob. The targeting and the UI just don't seem made for it. I realize people succeed in doing it with quick target switching, but I really wish they would just let me have a good target and a bad target.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

World War Mammories posted:

this is why god invented sprint

keeping people alive in this game is easy. healer mastery is directly correlated with how low you let someone's health get without them dying in the name of slamming stone into everything that moves

I think this is why I'll never like healing in this game. Healing is just memorizing the fight pattern and smacking the one button that fixes the next problem, and you spend the rest of the time playing a vanilla WoW frost mage.

Give healers real DPS rotations and gauges, YoshiP.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

UHD posted:

This guy gets it, pulling aggro and dying just means I won

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Open Marriage Night posted:

Do you have to be online to receive a FC invite? I’m still waiting to get into DGKK.

Character is Cid Justice.
No, you don't need to be online to have your FC application accepted, but you do need to apply at the FC house to get that started.

This post outlines the process; it's a couple of hoops to jump through to keep the rabble out. DGKK is The Goblet, Ward 1, Plot 8.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Potato Jones posted:

No, you don't need to be online to have your FC application accepted, but you do need to apply at the FC house to get that started.

This post outlines the process; it's a couple of hoops to jump through to keep the rabble out. DGKK is The Goblet, Ward 1, Plot 8.

I didn’t notice you had to go to the house. I did all the Discord steps already, so I’ll head there later tonight.

EDIT: It says you’re supposed to get a code over Discord. I’ll head to the house anyways and request an invite.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 19, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Arzachel posted:

This guy gets it, pulling aggro and dying just means I won

i can't hear you over the sound of me popping a grade 3 infusion and getting a tk off under rof and ir

e: in tanking news, i tanked about half of tam-tara today as a mch since the tank immediately disconnected

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know which is more lame, the tank who gets a complex about needing to use Provoke every now and then, or the healers who act jaded and put-upon because they remember the two bad dungeon runs they had this week

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For the record, all of my dungeon runs this week as a MCH have been insane clown cars. They’ve all been newbie bonus’d Satasha, Tam-Tara, or Cutter’s Cry, but nobody has had a cow over it.

Yes, the sprout AST got hit by 6 violet eyes in a row and yes it took 45 minutes to complete, but hey vOv.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Chaeden posted:

Actually usually yes, especially if they are ACTIVELY trolling on purpose. If they are dead then they can't run to open a chest or agro the next group to force you to deal with them until that's dealt with. And usually if you let them die they DO stop doing the idiot behavior. And even being a poo poo dps they are usually better then a actively trying to be a fucker dps that gets others killed. (There's a reason I stop at the Marlboro in Swallows every time rather then pulling it. Too many times people have built up their agro on it so that when we finally get to position it just spins on the party and breaths them while forcing me to stay in other aoe's to not be hit by his.) My general policy is 1. Notice what they are doing. 2. Ask them to stop. 3. Receive their whining about being called out for it. Occasionally complete with 'you don't pay my sub' as explanation for actively trying to make a dungeon run more difficult. 4. Watch for it to happen again. 5. let them die and get them out of the party before they or their potential second in the group can open a chest.

Somebody makes mistakes that's fine, somebody wants to learn or apologizes for things they've done that's fine. Someone actively doing things on purpose to make the run worse can get the gently caress out and enjoy their queue.

this kind of sounds like you got called out on being a douche and are now backpedaling into 'no listen i'm just letting the trolls die'.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Roland Jones posted:

Also, MSQ-wise I'm at the point where I'm handing out uniforms for Alphinaud's new army thing; how close am I to unlocking the HW content?

I wanna say you're like halfway into the 2.X content? So halfway between Praetorium and Heavensward.

2.X is a slog, but it's worth it for 2.55 and Heavensward following. And the events in 2.X set the stage for much of the game beyond.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're every pubby tank anyone has made fun of itt. "Waaah I had to hit Overpower 1 more time cause they dotted before I got to my aoe hit of my rotation."

lmao you're so not mad about this, how many times do you get threat and run away from the tank with it? Because that's the only scenario you die in. If you bring it in to where I am I'm not going to stop unleashing to spite you. I'm just not going out of my way to save you either, especially since it makes the run go worse and dumps extra poo poo on other people for it.

Adus posted:

this kind of sounds like you got called out on being a douche and are now backpedaling into 'no listen i'm just letting the trolls die'.

I'm the one who got called out on being a douche for *checks notes* not saving DPS who don't bother to dump aggro, stop hitting all buttons except forward and keeping up, or bringing the thing to the pile for unleash and siphon spam to pick them up anyway. Literally do any of those things and you're fine. One of the people in my regular dungeon group is a bard, and some loving how he manages to dot everything and not pull threat unless I'm super far behind his weapon damage, which is my fault and not his.

FactsAreUseless posted:

For some reason tanks are convinced everyone else needs them, instead of recognizing that tanking, as a design idea, isn't interesting.

You're 1000000% right that it's just not that interesting of a design idea, but it's the one we have now. If asking you to do the bare minimum to meet me at "basic poo poo so the run goes smoothly" then sure, call me a douche. It's not like there's a point in getting mad over it, especially if that's your position.

It's loving irritating to try to be a good tank and catching poo poo for complaining about any of the super stupid poo poo dps do that's just as bad as any primadonna tank. Maybe go be a tank and see some of the super dumb poo poo pubbie dps do.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Maybe go be a tank and see some of the super dumb poo poo pubbie dps do.

I did. I also watched the aggro meters during my super simple rotations and would just hit my aoe aggro generator if someone started to get close.

Edit: I don't know what kind of wild rear end dps players you're seeing where they apply their dots and generate more enmity than a single tank stance'd aoe enmity generator, but maybe you could send them my way since they're probably doing pretty good damage and ending dungeons quickly.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 20, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lmao you're so not mad about this, how many times do you get threat and run away from the tank with it? Because that's the only scenario you die in. If you bring it in to where I am I'm not going to stop unleashing to spite you. I'm just not going out of my way to save you either, especially since it makes the run go worse and dumps extra poo poo on other people for it.

I don't cause I queue as tank or healer most of the time and when it happens to me I just press flash again and keep moving and the worst thing that happens is I 'wasted' a GCD and the dps got slapped a little.

And even if I wanted to not full pull I'd just flash what they grabbed and let them run ahead instead of posting an incredibly angry screed about it.

No one's calling you a primadonna tank for the actions it's entirely based on your incredibly smooth brained way of handling it and how you're talking about it. Almost as if 'primadonna' is more talking about an attitude than a specific set of actions.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

I'm the one who got called out on being a douche for *checks notes* not saving DPS who don't bother to dump aggro, stop hitting all buttons except forward and keeping up, or bringing the thing to the pile for unleash and siphon spam to pick them up anyway. Literally do any of those things and you're fine. One of the people in my regular dungeon group is a bard, and some loving how he manages to dot everything and not pull threat unless I'm super far behind his weapon damage, which is my fault and not his.

sorry, who are you? i wasn't even talking to you.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

galaxy brain: running PAST the pull to the next group of mobs as a dps and then dragging them back to your tank to speed it up even more :)

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Adus posted:

No. Though I have been asked to go faster before and attempted to do so. There are really just an amazing number of assholes out there that even if you go 'Could you please not run ahead and start every fight? ' and immediately double down on being a rear end in a top hat. There are dick tanks out there too which is why despite wanting to level and enjoy monk I don't. I've had too many tanks who the moment they see a monk on their team start running circles around the enemies so I physically can't land any positionals. And at least one I said 'Could you please try to stay a bit more still I need to land positionals as monk.' and they started moving more and dragging the monsters around the area we were fighting. This was a early game dungeon there weren't even AOE's to dodge.

I approach people nicely at first, if they keep being a massive dick I'll return the favor to them. And boy do I find so many of the poo poo bags. I've already recounted my stories of healers who went into Phantom Train and DIDN'T play, just let the first AOE kill them and sat there until the raid was over to win a piece of loot. Or the time once again in phantom train where I had a honest healer who refused to cast anything but Medica 2 and healed less then my fairy......or the phantom train with a guy who was a gladiator and said he did it on purpose(had his job stone and several other jobs maxed. Chose to enter as gladiator. So its not even the guy who hates the jobs for....some reason.)

I thankfully get plenty of runs that are fine, but its like 1-3 times a week I get someone who just doesn't loving care or is actively trolling. There was a run where I was healing the burn and the tank asked the Samurai to stop running ahead to start fights. The Samurai's response was to only auto-attack for the rest of the dungeon which I only noticed by the time we got to mist dragon. I just assumed he was playing sub par before to be a dick but no, only auto-attacks. I was almost sad that me and the tank were good enough to clear without him and his buddy that kept actively standing in the aoe's.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I’m being a whiny douche

got it right the first time

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're 1000000% right that it's just not that interesting of a design idea, but it's the one we have now. If asking you to do the bare minimum to meet me at "basic poo poo so the run goes smoothly" then sure, call me a douche. It's not like there's a point in getting mad over it, especially if that's your position.

It's loving irritating to try to be a good tank and catching poo poo for complaining about any of the super stupid poo poo dps do that's just as bad as any primadonna tank. Maybe go be a tank and see some of the super dumb poo poo pubbie dps do.

nice meltdown

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Edit: I don't know what kind of wild rear end dps players you're seeing where they apply their dots and generate more enmity than a single tank stance'd aoe enmity generator, but maybe you could send them my way since they're probably doing pretty good damage and ending dungeons quickly.
From my experience it's usually it's bards who do their single target rotation right out of the gate and keep doing it while running.

Or BLM's that dump a crit foul on things.

tote up a bags posted:

galaxy brain: running PAST the pull to the next group of mobs as a dps and then dragging them back to your tank to speed it up even more :)
Sounds very close to a person who wants to tank more than I do when I tank, which is my metric for letting people die in dungeons.

Especially if it's Bardams.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really hope Meltdown is a Shadowbringers black mage spell we can get a lot of mileage out of that

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Of the behaviors describe so far, the only one actually bad is people bolting away from the tank when they pull aggro. Everything else just sounds like you're a poo poo tank and you need to get it together instead of crumpling into a worthless pile the second things don't go perfectly.

Also use threat dumps is a galaxy brain take. Almost all of them are on such a long cooldown there is no way for them to be up for every pull. And even the one that immediately comes to mind as spammable (merciful eyes) is fiddly as poo poo. If I had a nickel for every time i 3rd eyed to get a merciful proc, only for the monster to decide then and there to start their cast, or for rng to kick in and get a lucky dodge on their auto, I'd have $137.25. Like, at the best of times in a dungeon, I can use diversion on the first pull, and then again on the first boss, and then repeat this for the rest of the dungeon maybe, assuming we don't kill the boss so fast it doesn't come off cooldown.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

From my experience it's usually it's bards who do their single target rotation right out of the gate and keep doing it while running.

Or BLM's that dump a crit foul on things.

With BLM it's a bit of a 'wow....that was a lot of damage. I wish you hadn't but that entire group is on you now.' so long as they don't high tail it backwards after that I'll flash and drag them back. With Bards though usually they single target a monster, steal agro, then start running back away from it or sideways trying to strafe the thing down rather then just drag it to the tank so I can get the agro and they can start AOEing. gently caress em. And when a Samurai does it I know they had to have put in a loving effort to yank that from me, they can keep it since they want it so bad. (I'm usually not paying enough attention to them during it but I have to imagine they are doing their combos as best they can and launching a Guren at it, which is both a terrible time to use Guren because agro and a terrible time to use it because it probably won't hit any other targets wasting its potency. MAYBE a Midare if its a mob that stops to use a AOE part way? It doesn't come up to often since Samurai aren't that common for me and they need to be TRYING to rip agro and eat poo poo. Unlike the bard that just needs to walk and shoot.) Outside of that don't lose agro during a pull too commonly unless I'VE decided to be the idiot and forgot to shield oath again after a boss or something. In the middle of tanking I've lost a couple to things like Samurai or Redmage single targeting or a particularly unlucky black mage who got too many crits from Foul, and Flares. Always interesting to see a whole chunk of the mobs attacking you just turn around to the black mage and slap the poo poo out of his/her unmoving rear end.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

pfft, after years of playing tank then switching to healer i know who's really keeping everything moving smoothly. and most of them hate everyone silently instead of putting on a fireworks show when things dont go their way

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blast of Confetti posted:

pfft, after years of playing tank then switching to healer i know who's really keeping everything moving smoothly. and most of them hate everyone silently instead of putting on a fireworks show when things dont go their way

It's why AST at 70 is so good for dungeons. Throw down ES, Give the tank a big shield, silently seethe as they pull the entire stack out of ES and don't get the heal, give them The Dignity they never had and a bole cause they don't use C/D. you're basically tanking for them at that point.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Hello if you tank in this game and can't keep aggro in tank stance it's you who is bad, thank you. Tanking in this game is baby easy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

love to read this thread and be ashamed to be a tank main

edit: dont associate me with those giant effort posts i just like to have lots of hp and a big sword and make the things hit me

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I like to be a dude with a big shield and brag about that one time in dun scaith i took two blindsides solo without giving a single duck and also make things hit me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i rolled marauder when i first started playing this game because i enjoy BIG AXE so it was the obvious choice. i didn't learn until a bit later that no, you can't queue for dungeons as a dps. you are tank only. this terrified me, because i've never tanked in any other game, but it was way easier than i thought it would be to keep threat on stuff so i stuck with it.

and now i get to be big and strong, with BIG AXE, and i run fast face first into dungeons and group up all the mobs and i get commendations and have a good time. and that's my tank story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am leveling a MRD/WAR on Balmung right now and I've been doing a lot of Berserk+Overpower on packs

and I never ever get comms for it