Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Time kills all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

KakerMix posted:

Time kills all
What are we looking at?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

What are we looking at?

Alternator belt out of our 1993 Rugger. Only has 24k km on it (almost 15,000 miles) but since it's original to the truck it looks like that.

New Daihatsu timing belt with Pitwork replacements for the others, now the alternator finally has a chance to charge the battery :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Do new Ferraris have the LATCH system? :ohdear:

Everyone knows you put kids in the frunk, for safety

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Our cholesterol looking at all these drat pizzas is whats up.

But in all seriousness, I've been trying to get healthier and today I found my old army uniform. 16 years after I took it off and weee! I fit! Granted a bit of overflow but no sucking my gut in to do the buttons up.

Hell yeah

I got a new job that doesn’t have free soda and accidentally lost 30lbs lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Speaking of cholesterol... there's a burrito truck I go to occasionally.

I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but they have a San Diego burrito. Carne asada, french fries (!), guacamole, sour cream (ehhh.. had them leave that off), cheese, and pico. It was amazing, but I should probably warn the wastewater treatment plant before I sit on the toilet tonight. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

STR posted:

I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but they have a San Diego burrito. Carne asada, french fries (!), guacamole, sour cream (ehhh.. had them leave that off), cheese, and pico. It was amazing, but I should probably warn the wastewater treatment plant before I sit on the toilet tonight. :v:

It's the American version of the Mexican version of lomo saltado. And it sounds so good

Greasy Mexican food trucks are a universal good

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR posted:

gently caress yeah that sounds amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Greasy Mexican food trucks are a universal good

Food trucks - that never move - are as common as a regular brick and mortar restaurant here, and there's a shitload of food truck parks all over Austin. Food trucks that actually move around to different locations aren't as common here. In fact, I spotted a couple that only get used during SXSW, and just sit for the rest of the year, in the same parking lot. Like this one (though it finally disappeared after the most recent SXSW):

Why does Austin love their food trucks? I have no idea. I'm guessing the startup cost is lower? There's plenty of B&M restaurants that started as trucks here, and also plenty of food truck empires (multiple trucks in multiple places all over town). There's one that actually got the state to issue a custom license plate

Relevant: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2017/05/05/another-no-1-for-austin-the-city-where-food-trucks.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/business/food-truck-expansion-entrepreneurship.html

quote:

Austin and Portland are unusual in that stationary carts are on private property. In most other cities, food trucks travel to different locations depending on the time of day and regulatory restrictions.

They have to rent space in a B&M kitchen to do prep; as a side effect, some enterprising food truck owners are operating pop up delivery-only restaurants out of the kitchens to help offset the cost of renting it (it's usually a large light industrial/warehouse space with a bunch of kitchens inside); I've picked up/delivered from plenty of them.

There's also the random B&M restaurant that decides to open a truck. Mighty Fine Burgers has their MF Trailer. :quagmire: (and their burgers live up to their name...)

So yeah, the truck I got that burrito from? Super Burrito. Their website is hilariously out of date (locations and pricing are wrong, and they've added a lot of new menu items); and the photos on Yelp show their old Water Tank truck (they've since swapped out the van for a far larger trailer, and moved it to an adjoining lot instead of sitting in the bar's parking lot). The food is loving delicious.

My favorite one is one I worry about though. They're in a low traffic "food truck park" that's really just an old gravel area of an abandoned shopping center parking lot (and the shopping center is for sale as a tear down), and it's a low traffic area in an area that's... just not great for that kind of traffic. I love their food, the owner is awesome and super friendly, but they really don't get much traffic there. I'm hoping she can raise enough money to move to a busier area.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 20, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

STR posted:

Unless you have something truly against sour cream, keep it. It is no way an authentic dish, and that little extra bit of pure dairy fat just help lube it just a bit more.
The California Burrito (the official name, though it is mostly an SD thing) is the clearest indication that sometimes authenticity is overrated.
Carne Asada fries are even more bomb and replace the relative healthfulness of a tortilla with more fries and more meat. Bring blood thinners.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah, they have carne asada fries too. :v:

I don't like sour cream in general, and I'm a bit on the lactose intolerant side anyway. I can handle most cheese fine, queso is pushing it a bit (I looooove good queso, especially Kerbey Queso and Torchy's queso... nobody will want to be in the same room as me for the rest of the day though - totally worth it), but you get much past that and I'm gonna be looking for a toilet, a fresh pair of boxers, and a roll or two of TP pretty quickly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 20, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hehe, pulled into work this morning and there was a big box truck delivering oil. The slogan in big block letters on the back and sides of the truck:

LUBE-TECH

Live. Laugh. Love. LUBE.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T-Square posted:

Live. Laugh. Love. LUBE.

Wrong order.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
STR my dude you need a bidet.

I miss having bidets on all my toilets. I need to get new ones for my new haus.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Or maybe someone's wife would just get suspicious if it got delivered to their home. :shrug:

Also, food truck chat, we did mother's day a week late this year and we're supposed to do a food truck event, but then we got a torrential downpour so we went to a regular old brunch place instead :(

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I forget, wasn't there a truckin' thread around here somewhere? I've been thinking hard about getting a CDL lately.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Decided to stop house hunting. It's too goddamn expensive around here to afford much more than what we've got while still saving for retirement/affording daycare. I can't wait to get the kids out of daycare (and one isn't even born yet :v:). Then there will be breathing room for a bit until I'm completely broke again when they're in college. :shepspends:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Suburban Dad posted:

Decided to stop house hunting. It's too goddamn expensive around here to afford much more than what we've got while still saving for retirement/affording daycare. I can't wait to get the kids out of daycare (and one isn't even born yet :v:). Then there will be breathing room for a bit until I'm completely broke again when they're in college. :shepspends:

aren't you in SEMI? this may be my east coast elitist bias talking (moved here from Boston) but i am astounded by how cheap it is to buy a house here. i supposed if you are trying to buy in very specific suburbs and school districts it may be different but stuff even in A2 costs like, 1/4 of what it would cost in Boston

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

solarNativity posted:

I forget, wasn't there a truckin' thread around here somewhere? I've been thinking hard about getting a CDL lately.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295

Save it from the archives.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

aren't you in SEMI? this may be my east coast elitist bias talking (moved here from Boston) but i am astounded by how cheap it is to buy a house here. i supposed if you are trying to buy in very specific suburbs and school districts it may be different but stuff even in A2 costs like, 1/4 of what it would cost in Boston

Yep and daycare costs will soon overtake my mortgage by about a grand per month. I'm from rural Ohio, everything is relatively more expensive, heh.

A2 prices are insane for what you get, not sure what you're on about. A lovely tiny house there is 300k. It's all relative to your salary I guess. We were just looking in a decent burb, and not one of the uppity ones either. Oh well, first world problems.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep and daycare costs will soon overtake my mortgage by about a grand per month. I'm from rural Ohio, everything is relatively more expensive, heh.

A2 prices are insane for what you get, not sure what you're on about. A lovely tiny house there is 300k. It's all relative to your salary I guess. We were just looking in a decent burb, and not one of the uppity ones either. Oh well, first world problems.

what in the heck, you can get a decent house in bougie rear end Troy for like 250k

I forget if youre in the north, west, or eastern suburbs so ymmv but it is relatively cheap

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Suburban Dad posted:

That reminds me, just 3 more weeks of paying for preschool and daycare, then my youngest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I’m so excited to take all this money I’m going to be saving and... putting it towards college savings :cry:

A lot of people don’t understand that while our houses are cheap compared to other parts of the country, our salaries are also smaller (and our car insurance is ludicrous!) It’s all relative. There’s a bunch of new subdivisions going up in South Lyon and other areas near A2 and the starting prices are “low $400’s”. I don’t know anyone that can afford that around here other thank DINK’s.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Modus Man posted:

That reminds me, just 3 more weeks of paying for preschool and daycare, then my youngest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I’m so excited to take all this money I’m going to be saving and... putting it towards college savings :cry:

A lot of people don’t understand that while our houses are cheap compared to other parts of the country, our salaries are also smaller (and our car insurance is ludicrous!) It’s all relative. There’s a bunch of new subdivisions going up in South Lyon and other areas near A2 and the starting prices are “low $400’s”. I don’t know anyone that can afford that around here other thank DINK’s.

My favourite part is how they keep building these McMansions that start in the mid 300’s to 400s when the houses that are in the highest demand start in the high 100’s to mid 200’s

Builders are out of touch but are also going to help pop the housing bubble when they eventually have to either sell the houses at a loss or tear them down lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My favourite part is how they keep building these McMansions that start in the mid 300’s to 400s when the houses that are in the highest demand start in the high 100’s to mid 200’s

Builders are out of touch but are also going to help pop the housing bubble when they eventually have to either sell the houses at a loss or tear them down lol

That's not the way it works, though. The builders are making tons of cash and sell what they build. There's no profit in low-dollar houses. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

How can you talk poo poo on California pizza if you haven't tried the Hot Cheetos pizza?

(I haven't actually tried this, I was looking at local pizza places to deliver to a bar tonight for pub trivia. I'd try a slice of it, but all my friends are 100% dead set against it. I threatened to order an alfredo sauce, hot cheetos, and salami pizza, it seemed like the worst possible combination)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

That's not the way it works, though. The builders are making tons of cash and sell what they build. There's no profit in low-dollar houses. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

Right but if they’re building the house they’re selling for 400k for 250-300k and the bubble bursts and suddenly their houses are only worth 225-250k what are their options? They’ve built a heap of houses that haven’t sold yet because nobody wants a 400k house rn, especially when the bubble is so obvious and ford/gm keep laying people off

I bought my house for 215k and the mortgage company just told me it’s worth 285k two years later. During the recession it looks like it sold for 175k.

I would imagine that something similar would happen but idk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

West coast idea of a "crazy" pizza:

MomJeans420 posted:

Hot Cheetos pizza

East coast idea of a "crazy" pizza:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Right but if they’re building the house they’re selling for 400k for 250-300k and the bubble bursts and suddenly their houses are only worth 225-250k what are their options? They’ve built a heap of houses that haven’t sold yet because nobody wants a 400k house rn, especially when the bubble is so obvious and ford/gm keep laying people off

I bought my house for 215k and the mortgage company just told me it’s worth 285k two years later. During the recession it looks like it sold for 175k.

I would imagine that something similar would happen but idk

When the bubble popped in '08/09, builders didn't lose. They just made less profit. Now it was lean for them through the '10-13 years, but they're back raking in the cash. The bubble doesn't pop without warning, but even if it did, the builders will be fine.

Obviously there are regional differences and where you're at may be more precarious than others, but the housing market is the least of the worries in the overall economic/political environment.

It's nice to have some equity in a house, but that's all unrealized until you sell, so don't worry, we'll all get screwed when the next bubble pops. :coal:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MomJeans420 posted:

How can you talk poo poo on California pizza if you haven't tried the Hot Cheetos pizza?

(I haven't actually tried this, I was looking at local pizza places to deliver to a bar tonight for pub trivia. I'd try a slice of it, but all my friends are 100% dead set against it. I threatened to order an alfredo sauce, hot cheetos, and salami pizza, it seemed like the worst possible combination)

Hot cheetos and nacho cheese is a Chicago thing. Stop stealing my culture

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

No profit in low dollar houses? I thought you lot in the US made them out of cheap plywood sheeting and plasterboard... How can you not make money when there's about $50 in materials? :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

No profit in low dollar houses? I thought you lot in the US made them out of cheap plywood sheeting and plasterboard... How can you not make money when there's about $50 in materials? :v:

While we're on sterotypical American stuff... how about this from 1970... https://archive.org/details/first_of_the_ninth_napalm_sticks_to_kids

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Suburban Dad posted:

A2 prices are insane for what you get, not sure what you're on about. A lovely tiny house there is 300k.

friend, within greater Boston, which includes many of the surburbs that are loving far as hell from everything, the median single family home price is $600,000. and houses are loving big out here compared to eastern mass.

it's all relative

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This was a big problem in Boston. If I have a given piece of land that cost me say, ten million bucks, and I put in "luxury condos" that cost $500k each and cost me $100,000 to build, versus if I use the same land and put in regular apartments that cost $300k each and cost me $50,000 to build... which one is the developer going to do? they aren't making more land so you should maximize that profit baby. Who cares if units sit empty for a little while?

edit: straight up, if we go back go Boston, we are going to need a million dollars to buy a house. That poo poo is out of control.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ideas on removing this tape residue WITHOUT hurting the decals underneath? I desperately want to keep them (same on both sides of vehicle).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

everdave posted:

Ideas on removing this tape residue WITHOUT hurting the decals underneath? I desperately want to keep them (same on both sides of vehicle).

Light application of acetone to soften it up, then a bit of heat + a plastic putty knife? You're going to be extremely lucky if the adhesive is more bonded to itself than the vinyl decals, though, and of course getting acetone on them will pretty much immediately destroy them, as will heat + the putty knife.

So, uh, I guess my idea is: very, very, very carefully?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Cripes, that's gnarly. The residue would come off easily with Goo Gone, but it'd also attack the vinyl decals you're trying to keep.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Just try heat and pulling the tape off in large pieces, hopefully in one large one. Like a hair dryer or something and just slowly pull the tape off.

When it comes to the residue I'd try with something like rubbing alcohol to see how it reacts to the decals themselves. If you use goo gone that will soak into the decals and never come out.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, was going to say, good luck if those are decals and not painted on.

Finally into my last full week at my little bachelor pad apartment this week. Excited to get into a bigger apartment with an actual fuckin' kitchen so I can really start using the various things I've amassed over the last year or so and really start making some delicious poo poo. Also, dishwasher, also also, in-unit washer and dryer.

NOT excited to actually move though. Although I plan on moving all of my poo poo Thursday afternoon and Friday, and am having a new comfy couch delivered on Saturday, so at least I get to break that in after breaking my spine probably.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

everdave posted:

Take lots of printers and get a vinyl shop to recreate them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ilkhan posted:

Take lots of printers and get a vinyl shop to recreate them.

This but pictures, chances are you'll damage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Try WD-40. It's less aggressive and slow, but that's sort of what you want. Or maybe the water-based Goof Off/Goo Gone rather than the petroleum distillates version, for the same reason.