Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey who wants to see Chamber murder a bunch of people and then just die!

anyone? !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
As long as he died blaming Scott Summers! :downs:

I wonder how much communication there is between the current X-team and the future one about which mutants Rosenberg gets to kill or maim, or if he just got carte blanche as long as mutants X, Y and Z were still alive and relatively intact by then end of his culling.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

anyone? !

I get that they're running away from the "Cyclops as revolutionary" angle at full speed, and I'm willing to accept that despite it making zero sense, but I can't believe that Chamber is gonna straight-up waste a member of the Marauders, or that any version of Scott past like the Silver Age would care that Chamber is gonna waste a member of the Marauders.

Then Sinister shows up on like page 12, turns into a giant Super-Sinister, then fucks off on like page 15. Is the series operating on dream logic at this point? Remember when Joseph was around for like 3 pages a couple of issues ago? What the gently caress is going on?

And it's a small thing on the scale of wretchedness that is this run, but the portraits for Scott and Logan on the recap page make me gag every time. What is with that pubey-rear end beard on Cyclops, and when in his entire life has Wolverine made that expression? It looks like a bad photoreference if for some reason you used a photoreference of somebody who didn't look anything like Wolverine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They almost never actually killed people, but during Claremont's run most of the X-Men were written as though they would kill as a last resort. poo poo, a good chunk of the first Brood saga is Wolverine thinking about how he's gonna have to ice all his friends when they start to turn. Wasn't Cyclops the one who actually killed Jean Grey/Phoenix at the end of Dark Phoenix Saga?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've walked away from UXM but I'll maintain that between all the Age of X-Man writers you have a great stable of emerging talents. The X-Men franchise at its best is about social difference and the ways that marginalized people form communities and solidarity, and I think it's telling that the best X-titles of recent years have been by women and queer folks. Hickman's baroque, hyper-stylized story-telling was great for the vision of the FF he had, mixed (imo) for his Avengers stuff, but just feels like kind of an off-puttingly "safe" move for the X-Men. I'd rather see Kelly Thompson, Leah Williams, Mags Visaggio, Eve Ewing, Saladin Ahmed, Seanan McGuire, etc.. on flagship X-titles than someone with as fundamentally conservative a vision of what superhero comics are for as Hickman.

Like-- Cyclops should be a revolutionary, and he should be scary to a lot of people. If Bendis' tenure was uneven and often listless, he at least took one of Gillen's best ideas (which itself felt merely like a recognition and extrapolation of the trajectory Morrison set up) and ran with it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Man, I really can't shake the idea that Rosenberg's entire run has been a really long issue of What If? It's really reminding me of that Weapon X run Frank Tieri did in the 2000s, and that is not a compliment.

Skwirl posted:

They almost never actually killed people, but during Claremont's run most of the X-Men were written as though they would kill as a last resort. poo poo, a good chunk of the first Brood saga is Wolverine thinking about how he's gonna have to ice all his friends when they start to turn. Wasn't Cyclops the one who actually killed Jean Grey/Phoenix at the end of Dark Phoenix Saga?

No, she telekinetically aced herself by reactivating old tech from whoever created the Blue Area of the Moon.

Cyclops was always the Boy Scout who refused to kill, but he softened on that, most notably at the start of Morrison's run. Storm was reasonably anti-murder as well, at least for a while.

IIRC, however, "heroes don't kill" was a huge point of Jim Shooter's run as editor-in-chief at Marvel, which is part of why the level of violence in that period was so weirdly bloodless. The moment he got fired, you started seeing a general relaxation of the no-kill policy in Claremont's work in general, particularly when it came to enemies like the Brood or the Marauders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Man, I really can't shake the idea that Rosenberg's entire run has been a really long issue of What If? It's really reminding me of that Weapon X run Frank Tieri did in the 2000s, and that is not a compliment.

First page of House of X is Jamie Maddrox wakes up, find Rahne in the shower and says to her "I had the strangest dream."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wanderer posted:

No, she telekinetically aced herself by reactivating old tech from whoever created the Blue Area of the Moon.

Cyclops was always the Boy Scout who refused to kill, but he softened on that, most notably at the start of Morrison's run. Storm was reasonably anti-murder as well, at least for a while.

IIRC, however, "heroes don't kill" was a huge point of Jim Shooter's run as editor-in-chief at Marvel, which is part of why the level of violence in that period was so weirdly bloodless. The moment he got fired, you started seeing a general relaxation of the no-kill policy in Claremont's work in general, particularly when it came to enemies like the Brood or the Marauders.

Yeah, literally the first tussle the X-Men have with the Marauders involves Colossus killing one of them. I mean, if anyone merits it, it's those guys, they're cackling unsympathetic spree killers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, literally the first tussle the X-Men have with the Marauders involves Colossus killing one of them. I mean, if anyone merits it, it's those guys, they're cackling unsympathetic spree killers.

Ah, that's what I was thinking of when I said Cyclops wouldn't care about Chamber offing the Marauders, but I guess he would have already been on X-Factor at that point. Still, I stand by it that Cyclops isn't totally averse to killing.

Wanderer posted:

I definitely remember Storm either explicitly or implicitly sanctioning Colossus during Mutant Massacre.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Archyduchess posted:

I've walked away from UXM but I'll maintain that between all the Age of X-Man writers you have a great stable of emerging talents.

Yeah, I completely agree. This Rosenberg guy is a complete hack, throwing edgy poo poo at the wall on a constant spree trying to find something that sticks. On the other hand, every Age of X-Man book I've read, I've liked it. The X-Tracts one may be the worst of the bunch and somehow it still comes on top of the mess UXM currently is. I hope those writers stick around.

And god, do I hope Hickman doesn't gently caress up. I don't think I've seen any writer not gently caress up when handling X-Men for god knows how many years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I completely agree. This Rosenberg guy is a complete hack, throwing edgy poo poo at the wall on a constant spree trying to find something that sticks. On the other hand, every Age of X-Man book I've read, I've liked it. The X-Tracts one may be the worst of the bunch and somehow it still comes on top of the mess UXM currently is. I hope those writers stick around.

And god, do I hope Hickman doesn't gently caress up. I don't think I've seen any writer not gently caress up when handling X-Men for god knows how many years.

After the current X-Men run I don't think Hickman can fail.
Like his run could just be Scott and Logan throw a Kegger in the X-Mansion. For 12 issues.
And all your favourite X-People show up. Even the dead ones who are now alive again.

That's it, and it would sell thousands.
Call it " X-Men: Weekend at Charlies" and it would sell 90's numbers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Along those lines and if I remember right, the fact that the X-Men actually went out looking for the Marauders so they could off them (admittedly as payback for the Mutant Massacre) was a sign of Inferno and that Thing Were Not Right.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
At this point I'm just hoping the big reveal in UXM is some big reset button like Impossible Man or that Harry's Hideaway had a gas leak and they went on the strangest group trip. (The fire was real, but they'd all wondered outside by then because Illyana "teleported" them by them all holding hands in a line and walking out singing.)

At least my fear of Emma Frost being done dirty is placated by Hickman clearly having plans for her and the fact that this run will almost certainly be forgotten immediately.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Spoilers from one year in the future.)

Comic Interview Guy: Jonathan Hickman, in your first year on the X-Men you managed to solve all the major continuity problems in the X-Franchise and made them the number one selling title again.
What is next for the mutants.

(Jonathan Hickman laughs and then flexes, turning his body metallic ala Colossus.)
Super-Hickman: HA HA HA! NOW SHOW ME A REAL CHALLENGE!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

(Spoilers from one year in the future.)

Comic Interview Guy: Jonathan Hickman, in your first year on the X-Men you managed to solve all the major continuity problems in the X-Franchise and made them the number one selling title again.
What is next for the mutants.

(Jonathan Hickman laughs and then flexes, turning his body metallic ala Colossus.)
Super-Hickman: HA HA HA! NOW SHOW ME A REAL CHALLENGE!

Everything in a 15 foot sphere of him takes extreme damage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

anyone? !

Good about that issue
Illyana's Bauhaus shirt, Wolverine getting out, Juggs
Bad
everything else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've always had the impression that Rosenberg wrote as if he didn't actually like the X-Men, but it wasn't until recently that I felt like he wrote as if none of his readers like the X-Men either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's weird they had a very quick 12 issues where they seemingly destroy everything at the end, then are doing an Age of Apocalypse style event, while seeming to keep a main book going. But then Hickman is going to reset everything again.

I seriously don't even understand the point of Uncanny X-Men at this point aside from making GBS threads on characters that only a small number of people like. It's an even worse version of the death of Bill Foster. So congratulations on making Mark Millar seem subtle and poignant.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

So congratulations on making Mark Millar seem subtle and poignant.

nobody's hosed a kid yet so it's not Millar levels of bad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nobody's hosed a kid yet so it's not Millar levels of bad

I was referring specifically to Marvel's Civil War I.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...d-cool-cyclops/ - very serious Hickman interview.

Big fan of the Gillen Sinister and Emma Frost shoutouts - plus, Roberto and Sam. :hellyeah:

While I'm not sold on Jean wearing the 60s dress and mask, since it's so much more dated than the version in Age of X-Man, the idea of the X-Men just wearing their old uniforms as their wardrobe is pretty fantastic.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I seriously don't even understand the point of Uncanny X-Men at this point aside from making GBS threads on characters that only a small number of people like. It's an even worse version of the death of Bill Foster. So congratulations on making Mark Millar seem subtle and poignant.
It's so weird to me. 3 of my favorite X-Men are Magik, Madrox and Chamber. I also love Moonstar and Cyclops (he has been really inconsistent lately though). Never would have thought this X-team could be so baffling to me. Pretty much just looking at the issues to see what Magik is wearing now.

Is this suppose to be setting up to a status quo that Hickman wants? I just don't get it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

I will say that in re-reading everything, probably the most criminally underrated X-Men writer is Mike Carey. I mean, it’s obvious that Mike is brilliant, but there are a lot of things buried in his books that are tier-one ideas that writers following him must have just blown right past

Now this gets me excited.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He's completely right, Carey's run on X-Men Legacy ruled and is one of my favourite all-time X-Men runs.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Metalshark posted:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...d-cool-cyclops/ - very serious Hickman interview.

Big fan of the Gillen Sinister and Emma Frost shoutouts - plus, Roberto and Sam. :hellyeah:

While I'm not sold on Jean wearing the 60s dress and mask, since it's so much more dated than the version in Age of X-Man, the idea of the X-Men just wearing their old uniforms as their wardrobe is pretty fantastic.

Every so often someone's wandering around with a Morrisson-era leather X-Jacket.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beerdeer posted:

Every so often someone's wandering around with a Morrisson-era leather X-Jacket.

They've literally got Logan doing that in one of the bits of promo art.

Actually, the other Logan in that image is in the brown-and-tan costume - which is what Space Clone Wolverine was wearing in his sole appearance. Could it be? Will the space clone X-Men finally come back into continuity?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Metalshark posted:

I actually kind of hate it! Are we just going to ignore the past sixty years of X-characters wearing regular clothes and just assume they all started collectively wearing their costumes as regular clothes because...eh?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

I actually kind of hate it! Are we just going to ignore the past sixty years of X-characters wearing regular clothes and just assume they all started collectively wearing their costumes as regular clothes because...eh?

I think it's meant as a kind of return to that whole thing that Morrison was moving towards of mutants as their own subculture. Plus a lot of the time they seemed to wear their costumes as regular clothes anyway (like, I think Surge is still depicted wearing the New X-Men Academy X costume at least 10 years after that series ended?). And he also mentions they'll sometimes wear normal clothes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s wild to feel excited about X-Men again. I like the closet full of costumes idea. More super heroes should have more variety in what they wear. Let the different artists add their own touches, or choose an outfit that fits the mood of the story.

Glad to hear Hickman is a fan of Age of Apocalypse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel doco on Giant-Sized X-Men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3H43y5aKk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just going to through this out here, Giant Size X-Men isn't a good comic. It lead to one of the best runs on comics ever, but that actual issue isn't very good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to through this out here, Giant Size X-Men isn't a good comic. It lead to one of the best runs on comics ever, but that actual issue isn't very good.

Agreed!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's meant as a kind of return to that whole thing that Morrison was moving towards of mutants as their own subculture. Plus a lot of the time they seemed to wear their costumes as regular clothes anyway (like, I think Surge is still depicted wearing the New X-Men Academy X costume at least 10 years after that series ended?). And he also mentions they'll sometimes wear normal clothes.

Its friday and Jean only has one clean outfit left

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jean definitely does her laundry in timely fashion to avoid scenarios such as this. However, I will accept that Rachel has stolen her clothes and not returned them due to being mind-controlled (again).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

It has a hell of a status quo shift to introduce and the way it does is pretty clever. It does a decent job of showcasing all the new characters, and Krakoa is a really neat concept, even if the moment itself is hilariously blase--like, it's not even a page turn IIRC.

Now, having said that, it's not a comic I would go back to a lot, but I think you have to balance that against just how much legwork is being done in a single (giant-sized) issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

She can just go down to the basement to use the alien clothes machine. (Yes this is a real thing.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Endless Mike posted:

She can just go down to the basement to use the alien clothes machine. (Yes this is a real thing.)

Do you want symbiotes? Because that's how you get symbiotes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Do you want symbiotes? Because that's how you get symbiotes.

No no it's a Shi'ar clothes machine. That one gets you Brood, not symbiotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Just assume that the Alien Clothes Machine got destroyed in any of the half-dozen "oh poo poo the mansion exploded" events in the last couple of years