Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Why California Has the Nation's Worst Poverty Rate:

https://mises.org/wire/why-california-has-nations-worst-poverty-rate-1

Further contributing to the poverty problem is California’s housing crisis. More than four in 10 households spent more than 30% of their income on housing in 2015. A shortage of available units has driven prices ever higher, far above income increases. And that shortage is a direct outgrowth of misguided policies.

(Yeah, I know the source are libertarian idiots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

VideoGameVet posted:

Why California Has the Nation's Worst Poverty Rate:

https://mises.org/wire/why-california-has-nations-worst-poverty-rate-1

Further contributing to the poverty problem is California’s housing crisis. More than four in 10 households spent more than 30% of their income on housing in 2015. A shortage of available units has driven prices ever higher, far above income increases. And that shortage is a direct outgrowth of misguided policies.

(Yeah, I know the source are libertarian idiots)

Definitely going to assume that MISES.ORG link about how ~the most socialest~ state is broken is accurate.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Cleveland, Ohio, known for it's lower levels of poverty relative to most cities...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
lol mises

though i wouldn't be surprised if california is in fact one of the more poverty stricken states in the union. up north is a hellscape i don't want to imagine now that the only jobs available (seasonal work preparing illegal marijuana) are rapidly being made 'more efficient' by legalization and vanishing, the rest of rural california is a tyrannical nightmare land where all land being owned by a handful of hilariously wealthy feudal dictators hold everyone in an iron fist and provide no money to public coffers and every city in the northern half of the state is rapidly becoming more and more expensive and unlivable as gentrification from the techbros being priced out of the bay area by millionaires continue fleeing east, and the sacramento valley welcomes them with open arms, skyrocketing rents and ever increasing the presence of hostile public architecture and police action to contend with the burgeoning ranks of the homeless

i don't actually know anything about the LA area, maybe its doing relatively ok? i doubt it though, this state is a pile of trash

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

atelier morgan posted:

lol mises

though i wouldn't be surprised if california is in fact one of the more poverty stricken states in the union. up north is a hellscape i don't want to imagine now that the only jobs available (seasonal work preparing illegal marijuana) are rapidly being made 'more efficient' by legalization and vanishing, the rest of rural california is a tyrannical nightmare land where all land being owned by a handful of hilariously wealthy feudal dictators hold everyone in an iron fist and provide no money to public coffers and every city in the northern half of the state is rapidly becoming more and more expensive and unlivable as gentrification from the techbros being priced out of the bay area by millionaires continue fleeing east, and the sacramento valley welcomes them with open arms, skyrocketing rents and ever increasing the presence of hostile public architecture and police action to contend with the burgeoning ranks of the homeless

i don't actually know anything about the LA area, maybe its doing relatively ok? i doubt it though, this state is a pile of trash

LA's homeless situation is approaching San Francisco levels of bad, but the city overall has some good things going for it. A decent mass transit system and a good job situation for one.

I work in Hollywood 3 to 4 days a week (staying in AirBnB's or 92 year old hotels) and getting here from San Diego by train, subway and folding bike is so much more sane than driving.

I lived in LA from 85-88 and 92-94 and the transit was crap back then.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I thought that no one uses the public transportation in Los Angeles? Has that changed for things like the subway system?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lots of workers and minorities use it, as well as students. A rounding error of middle and upper earners may use it if their work and home are in the goldilocks setup of being tolerable.

But the place is so sprawling that transit studies show people abandon it once they can afford a car.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I thought that no one uses the public transportation in Los Angeles? Has that changed for things like the subway system?

The train has gotten much much better, it's very useable for certain regions/commutes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hey dudes, looks like thanks to all this unseasonal wet weather the Oroville Dam is near capacity again. Fun times ahead!

I mean, its not like we're gonna get more rain after this storm comes through, this was already an insane record breaking late season storm. I'd be more worried about it burning down in August than it overtopping

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

People always used it. White people didn't use it.

Hilariously, because privileged people were originally in charge of designing the subway, and because "nobody will use public transportation", they ended up having to expand all the platforms on the first line, the Blue, within 10 years of building it.

Also tons of people use the bus, but again, they don't count because they're not white I guess.

At rush hour, several lines are so packed you have to wait several trains to get on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

LA is basically just getting started with their transit plans. The have a 40 year plan for projects funded by a recently approved tax increase

https://la.curbed.com/2016/3/18/11265444/metro-los-angeles-ballot-measure-future-map

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I’m pretty sure public transportation was poo poo/rapidly upgraded because car companies bought out and tanked public transportation so we could become more reliant on cars and oil... freeway traffic and overcrowded finally reached a tipping point where even the corporate masters realized they had to give in.

But privilege white yada yada.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Runaktla posted:

👀

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yes. I'm on it between 7 am and 7:30 am, and between 6:00 pm and 7 pm twice a week and it is packed. And it connects with other lines which are also packed ... and I'm not the only one multi-mode-ing with a bike.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Runaktla posted:

I’m pretty sure public transportation was poo poo/rapidly upgraded because car companies bought out and tanked public transportation so we could become more reliant on cars and oil... freeway traffic and overcrowded finally reached a tipping point where even the corporate masters realized they had to give in.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit ... yes. And GM got a STIFF $5000 fine for buying up the streetcar lines and tearing them up.

But starting 20 years ago (or so) LA started building subways and restoring streetcar lines (The Expo).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Runaktla posted:

I don't know what this is, but if you ever find yourself arguing that something isn't about white privilege you're probably wrong.

HTH

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 21, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Subway expansion into the western part of the city was stonewalled for years over.. concerns about methane pockets and explosions or something? Some kind of poorly studied NIMBY poo poo that made great lawsuit material.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Subway expansion into the western part of the city was stonewalled for years over.. concerns about methane pockets and explosions or something? Some kind of poorly studied NIMBY poo poo that made great lawsuit material.

The best example of karmic consequences for that sort of attitude is Marin County in Northern California.

They live with a hellish commute into San Francisco and they deserve it for blocking BART all those decades ago.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Craptacular! posted:

Specifically the purple line, which goes down Wilshire into Beverly Hills. So we ended up with a purple line that has 2 stops. I am not kidding about that, it is 2 stops long.

Now they're building that line again, and you can be sure the earth suddenly is dangerous under Beverly Hills, a place that literally has major oil drilling operation at the mall.

The plans for the BH stop also include a private army to keep the poors in line

https://la.curbed.com/2019/2/8/18216224/beverly-hills-purple-line-station-bathrooms

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know what this is, but if you ever find yourself arguing that something isn't about white privilege you're probably wrong.

HTH
Not saying it doesn’t exist but it is sometimes overused.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Runaktla posted:

Actually, no, it isn't. It's probably not brought up enough.

Another good term that isn't brought up enough is "fragility".

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Actually, no, it isn't. It's probably not brought up enough.

Another good term that isn't brought up enough is "fragility".
I agree with the fragility thing, prob in a different way than you do though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Feel free to elaborate. Somewhere else, though, so we don't have to read it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Imagine picking "public transportation in LA" as the place to take your bold idiotic stance on "white privilege"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

Imagine picking "public transportation in LA" as the place to take your bold idiotic stance on "white privilege"

Forget it, it's Chinatown.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

You don’t even know my stance. The greed that screwed the public transportation in Los Angeles was color blind. White people didn’t collectively just all huddle together to screw themselves to make the oil/car companies rich.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" isn't a documentary you morons, the streetcar was dumb and when it finally died a slow death the ridership had moved to buses which were cheaper to own and operate and could make more stops where people actually wanted to go.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Runaktla posted:

You don’t even know my stance. The greed that screwed the public transportation in Los Angeles was color blind. White people didn’t collectively just all huddle together to screw themselves to make the oil/car companies rich.

That's true when it comes to the dismantling of the Red Cars in the 1950's, but "White Privilege" is behind much of the opposition now to expanding the Purple Line West. Ditto the plans to finally give San Diego decent mass transit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VideoGameVet posted:

The best example of karmic consequences for that sort of attitude is Marin County in Northern California.

They live with a hellish commute into San Francisco and they deserve it for blocking BART all those decades ago.

Bart to Marin has never made sense. Case in point: With all this talk about replacing the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, nobody is considering stretching BART over from the east bay because it's a lot of money for, what really.

I grew up in Sonoma County and it's not so bad anymore. The bridge authority runs a lot of routes from San Rafael to SF, and while the SMART train is expensive to ride it has made the problem of getting to most of those routes easier and the extension to Larkspur is funded and underway. What would be nice would be cleaner ferries, because if I remember right the environmental concerns limits how many they can run. Zero emissions ferries could make a lot more trips.

FCKGW posted:

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" isn't a documentary you morons, the streetcar was dumb and when it finally died a slow death the ridership had moved to buses which were cheaper to own and operate and could make more stops where people actually wanted to go.

Toronto still uses streetcars, and it's not exactly a huge problem? They just replaced the fleet sometime in the last decade, iirc.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 21, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FCKGW posted:

When I moved to the south bay in 1983, the tracks from Redondo into the city were still there. In the 1990's when I commuted 12 miles from Manhattan Beach to Brentwood, the drive would take over an hour.

Yes, the red cars were not very profitable, but mass transit typically isn't. The subsidies are worthwhile because of the benefits to the general welfare of the public. And climate change.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Bart to Marin has never made sense. Case in point: With all this talk about replacing the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, nobody is considering stretching BART over from the east bay because it's a lot of money for, what really. It would be

I grew up in Sonoma County and it's not so bad anymore. The bridge authority runs a lot of routes from San Rafael to SF, and while the SMART train is expensive to ride it has made the problem of getting to most of those routes easier and the extension to Larkspur is funded and underway. What would be nice would be cleaner ferries, because if I remember right the environmental concerns limits how many they can run. Zero emissions ferries could make a lot more trips.

Toronto still uses streetcars, and it's not exactly a huge problem? They just replaced the fleet sometime in the last decade, iirc.

My wife lived in Marin for a time and she has no kinds words about the commuting.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
PE makes for impressive looking transit maps but the actual level of service was really bad.

The predecessor to the Expo Line, the Air Line, ran once a day from SaMo to DTLA in the morning and back again in the evening.

The red cars were a real estate valuation scheme. The money came from selling the land around the stations right after the new lines opened. Maintainance and reducing headways was an afterthought.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Runaktla posted:

Imagine thinking this in 2019. Jesus christ...trash.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VideoGameVet posted:

My wife lived in Marin for a time and she has no kinds words about the commuting.

As a public transit passenger?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Sure, just take MART to San Rafel, then transfer to a bus to Larkspur, then transfer to the ferry to sf, then take muni to work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CopperHound posted:

Sure, just take MART to San Rafel, then transfer to a bus to Larkspur, then transfer to the ferry to sf, then take muni to work.

Again, the train extension to Larkspur is already happening, and if you stop at San Rafael there's multiple bus routes to SF. Often times a 70 and a 101 (one goes right down Van Ness, the other goes around the embarcadero) are boarding at the same time.

Edit: By the by, BART giving up on Marin County had to do with San Mateo County pulling their funding out of BART. It was financially impossible at that point.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 21, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Yes (bus), and driving and at the time you could get rides from people, just by sharing the expenses.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

PE makes for impressive looking transit maps but the actual level of service was really bad.

The predecessor to the Expo Line, the Air Line, ran once a day from SaMo to DTLA in the morning and back again in the evening.

The red cars were a real estate valuation scheme. The money came from selling the land around the stations right after the new lines opened. Maintainance and reducing headways was an afterthought.

Should have been picked up by the cities and YES GM/Firestone did buy them up.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

VideoGameVet posted:

Should have been picked up by the cities and YES GM/Firestone did buy them up.

National City Lines bought out the LARy streetscars, which were the yellow cars.

The Pacific Electric interurban service, the iconic red cars, were taken over by the predecessor to the current LACMTA, and they were the ones who shut it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Runaktla posted:

Nope, and loving LOL that you think anything in Los Angeles is color blind.