Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I meant to say "future" in the original post, but the fact we* eventually elected him is proof this world deserves the gentle embrace of nuclear Armageddon.

*Russia

We don't need russian interference to elect a sundownning idiot mate, see Reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

T-man posted:

We don't need russian interference to elect a sundownning idiot mate, see Reagan

No, but thank god we had it, it came down to the wire.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Beartaco posted:

I have some information about Bruce Wayne that may shock you.

Yes I know Bruce Wayne is batman. No poo poo. Theres been movies where actors portray the alter ego well but not the super hero and vice versa. Hell, Christian Bale was good as Bruce but his Batman left a lot to be desired.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, but thank god we had it, it came down to the wire.

how do I put this gently

Russia did not interfere with US elections in any way that would affect the election results; the GoP did and still being on that russiagate hype train is the real IoSM

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

T-man posted:

how do I put this gently

Russia did not interfere with US elections in any way that would affect the election results; the GoP did and still being on that russiagate hype train is the real IoSM

Russia still interfered in US elections and ignoring its part in the situation is dangerous as well as dumb. The fact they aided the GOP and the fact the GOP is trying to hide it is troubling. While I exaggerated Russia's part in my previous posts for the sake of a joke, it's infuriating to see them dig into the cracks of our already broken system and try to wrench it even further out of whack.

Russia's an enemy nation, and the GOP is a terrorist organization whose operators should be tried and imprisoned for their crimes against humanity, minimum.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Soviet Union got Reagan elected then dissolved itself so the next generation of Americans would see capitalism unconstrained and go Red.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Handing in an application/resume in person is basically like saying "Please judge me on the spot purely based on my physical appearance and first impression without considering my merits first" and you immediately create a bias (positive or negative) towards you.

Also: if they don't have an HR department that handles applications then enjoy a hiring system that is absolutely wrought with the biases of whatever your hopeful boss has.

This can be for or against you, but unfortunately for some people it is absolutely against you.

It certainly isn't equal, though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Andrast posted:

Here's your reminder that short-time stock price changes mean absolutely loving nothing and you should never care about them unless you are literally a day trader.

also movies and tv shows that show the shouting floor is laughably out of date and all trading is done by computer THEALGORITHMS , this is called High Frequency Trading or HFT and other than getting a " " " " better " " " " " THEALGORITHMS the only way to get an edge is to literally invest millions to make sure your data center and telecom company are closer to the exchanges so the fiber is shorter and your lightspeed 1s and 0s cover shorter distances.

buttcoin has nothing on the legit fin industry when it comes to minmaxing numbers-go-up

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

also movies and tv shows that show the shouting floor is laughably out of date and all trading is done by computer THEALGORITHMS , this is called High Frequency Trading or HFT and other than getting a " " " " better " " " " " THEALGORITHMS the only way to get an edge is to literally invest millions to make sure your data center and telecom company are closer to the exchanges so the fiber is shorter and your lightspeed 1s and 0s cover shorter distances.

buttcoin has nothing on the legit fin industry when it comes to minmaxing numbers-go-up

There's actually a different exchange that specifically has 38 miles of spooled up fibre cable eating all of its incoming requests just to block out this sort of HFT minmax bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8BcCLLX4N4

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There’s probably an algorithm that detects patterns in social media and makes trades based on that. Maybe even something that detects a bad Twitter ratio and immediate sells.

If there isn’t one then there should be.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/grahamorama/status/1130617806276440064?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

There’s probably an algorithm that detects patterns in social media and makes trades based on that. Maybe even something that detects a bad Twitter ratio and immediate sells.

If there isn’t one then there should be.

There absolutely is. When Bowsette became A Thing last year, Nintendo's stock went up due to the level of positive engagement on twitter which was interpreted by the bots as a signal to buy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Memento posted:

There absolutely is. When Bowsette became A Thing last year, Nintendo's stock went up due to the level of positive engagement on twitter which was interpreted by the bots as a signal to buy.

Can capitalism gently caress off and die please

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

gently caress everyone jnb is my go to fast food ill die on this hill of sour dough jacks and lovely cheap tacos

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dialhforhero posted:

Handing in an application/resume in person is basically like saying "Please judge me on the spot purely based on my physical appearance and first impression without considering my merits first" and you immediately create a bias (positive or negative) towards you.

Also: if they don't have an HR department that handles applications then enjoy a hiring system that is absolutely wrought with the biases of whatever your hopeful boss has.

This can be for or against you, but unfortunately for some people it is absolutely against you.

It certainly isn't equal, though.

Welcome to working in food and beverage service!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somfin posted:

There's actually a different exchange that specifically has 38 miles of spooled up fibre cable eating all of its incoming requests just to block out this sort of HFT minmax bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8BcCLLX4N4

I know it's a meme, but that dude seriously looks like David Mitchell.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I think I found an automated boomer AI.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:lol:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Every Russian novel is a dystopian novel by virtue of taking place in Russia. People in North Korea look at each other and say, "We may be starving while our insane ruler builds nuclear weapons, but at least we're not in loving Russia."

Russia is actually a cool and good place and you should visit it as a tourist so you can have a fun holiday

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Russia is actually a cool and good place and you should visit it as a tourist so you can have a fun holiday

No, I'm gay.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RoboRodent posted:

No, I'm gay.

So what?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

No, I'm gay.

I was recently in Russia and saw same-sex couples walking down the street holding hands just like anywhere else :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vyelkin posted:

I was recently in Russia and saw same-sex couples walking down the street holding hands just like anywhere else :shrug:

Congrats on visiting Potemkin Greenwich Village.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

vyelkin posted:

Welp guess homophobia is done thanks for telling us

rear end in a top hat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T-man posted:

Welp guess homophobia is done thanks for telling us

rear end in a top hat.

It's not that homophobia is done, it's that the country is not such a scary place as the media makes it out to be. If you go to a major city like Moscow or St. Petersburg gay people aren't getting attacked or abused in the streets which is what the media tells you Russia is like. If you went to the Russian equivalent of rural Mississippi it might be a different story, but those aren't the places you would be visiting as a tourist anyway.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Saying you saw few gay couples managing to walk in the street without being beaten to death isn't exactly proof of any thing. It's not just the "media" who claims russia is terrible for gay people it's the citizens themselves.

Like Vincent Van Goatse said, russia is good at creating small touristy areas where things may seem normal. Like happened during the world cup. It's all just a PR exercise though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jippa posted:

Saying you saw few gay couples managing to walk in the street without being beaten to death isn't exactly proof of any thing. It's not just the "media" who claims russia is terrible for gay people it's the citizens themselves.

Like Vincent Van Goatse said, russia is good at creating small touristy areas where things may seem normal. Like happened during the world cup. It's all just a PR exercise though.

Yeah I probably picked a bad example to illustrate that. I'm straight so can't speak from my own experience. I can pull in another bad example though and say that I have more than one trans friend who's visited Russia (on multiple occasions no less) and loved it and wants to go back whenever possible, which is a big part of me thinking that my positive experiences are not solely because of my own privilege.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Anyway I'll stop derailing the thread. I was trying to say Russia isn't as dystopian as the original post claimed, but I responded insensitively to legitimate concerns and I apologize for that. Back to iosm who aren't me hopefully.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

He posted like a dozen things about Pattinson being too good for Kristen Stewart when they were on again off again, so I bet he's a fan.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I probably picked a bad example to illustrate that. I'm straight so can't speak from my own experience. I can pull in another bad example though and say that I have more than one trans friend who's visited Russia (on multiple occasions no less) and loved it and wants to go back whenever possible, which is a big part of me thinking that my positive experiences are not solely because of my own privilege.

The Russian government literally declared non-heterosexuals part of decadent Westernism which they've publicly repudiated as part of their official policies. And it's probably a lot scarier to be a homosexual living in Russian than one visiting, since it's legal to discriminated base on it and, for instance, boot you out of a job. About half the population, based on polling, want homosexuals to be locked up as mentally ill or outright executed.

So no Russia is exactly as dystopian as people think.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
based on polling done by the right wing pollsters who totally don't have an agenda and definitely aren't in bed with religious fundies

russia is a hosed up state. russians, on the other hand, are mostly ok.

vvv: yeah i've heard russophobia is back in vogue now

Truga has a new favorite as of 13:33 on May 21, 2019

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
>russia is a hosed up state.

I don't want to generalise against a country I know almost nothing about, but

>russians, on the other hand, are mostly ok.

this is definitely not true

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Being gay in Russia is a state sanctioned hell existence. And even if gay tourists aren't arrested on the spot. Why would gay people ever want to reward the Russian tourist trade with their hard western currencies?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a real piece of poo poo making fun of a teenager.

https://twitter.com/dmartosko/status/1129206098672705536

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Good to see him so thoroughly getting dunked on.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least we got this

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Potemkin Greenwich Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

belt posted:

Here's a real piece of poo poo making fun of a teenager.

https://twitter.com/dmartosko/status/1129206098672705536

I like how he's both completely unaware that everyone talks like that off the cuff and totally missing the very good point in the end of the kid's spiel.