Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Page snype idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Pretty much

Re: layover tourism, I do it all the time honestly, I prefer 20 hour layovers where it feels more like a day trip. but you really have to plan out the trip and food places to make it worthwhile when it’s under 14 hours

on the last page you chastised someone for looking to take a cheaper flight or airline??? and now this is your advice???

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
About to apply for my tourist L Visa. Tickets are already purchased, although on one side it's only to Hong Kong as I plan to enter via ferry through Shenzen.

How detailed does my itinerary have to be before I go into the consulate?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

on the last page you chastised someone for looking to take a cheaper flight or airline??? and now this is your advice???

PEK is not a great airport for a layover not all airport layovers are the same? But they clearly stated that they rather spend $600 elsewhere so I might as well offer something constructive?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ive taken China Eastern, Air China, and Spring Airlines and I didn't die 😁

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

PEK is not a great airport for a layover not all airport layovers are the same? But they clearly stated that they rather spend $600 elsewhere so I might as well offer something constructive?

its not that bad, it has WiFi, Starbucks, 24 hour food places and vending machines with food and alcohol. for an 8 hour layover? It’s not Singapore or Incheon but it’s also not Tianjin or Fukuoka

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Howard Phillips posted:

About to apply for my tourist L Visa. Tickets are already purchased, although on one side it's only to Hong Kong as I plan to enter via ferry through Shenzen.

In my experience, not very

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

its not that bad, it has WiFi, Starbucks, 24 hour food places and vending machines with food and alcohol. for an 8 hour layover? It’s not Singapore or Incheon but it’s also not Tianjin or Fukuoka

Yeah all the places you’ve lived are bad lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I like spring I take 'em all the time. Prefer them to Peach for my cheapo trips to Japan.

anything over like 3 hours I might feel different about tho lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I like peach more than spring, you get to recline your seats in peach and the planes tend to be cleaner

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Howard Phillips posted:

It doesn't even have to be a real itinerary. No one will ever check. Just make it very simple.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Howard Phillips posted:

Fully refundable hotel reservations and in/out flights are sufficient. (Fully refundable because you can cancel them and make whatever reservations you want or fly by the seat of your pants, up to you! They won't check afterwards)

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’m thinking about doing Shanghai Disney during the gaokao break, but I don’t know how bad crowds are going to be when loads of schools across the country are closed down as testing sites. Anyone have any insight on this one?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:q:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I’m thinking about doing Shanghai Disney during the gaokao break, but I don’t know how bad crowds are going to be when loads of schools across the country are closed down as testing sites. Anyone have any insight on this one?

I'm sure it'll be totally empty go ahead, good plan

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice. I’ve been successfully evading the crowds here so long, I was beginning to think I was being overly-cautious.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Someone dig up the shanghai disney reviews, they were gold

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

:smugmrgw:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

Someone dig up the shanghai disney reviews, they were gold

I have not been myself, but I've also heard from like everyone who's been there in the last year it's actually pretty good now. The first few months were supposed to be a nightmare, but since then even people I know traveling in from the US (where the best amusement parks are) have said it's fun and worth the trip.

I've also heard from all these people it's rarely super crowded (compared to disney in the US), and if you shell out for whatever the super premium cut-lines pass is it might be worth it anyway, which is true in American disney parks as well tbh.

A colleague of mine went there over the May 1st holiday with her kid and said she was surprised at how not super crowded it was.

I can't speak for all holidays, but take the risk imo.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 20, 2019

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
We went there like a month after it opened. Between 130-200 minute standby waits for all rides. Pirates of the Caribbean broke down when we were like 20 minutes from the front. We had a fast-pass for Tron, which was an enjoyable ride. The best part of our trip to Shanghai Disney was going to the character lunch in the castle because that was the only thing in the park which didn't have a line.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
STOP GOING TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY AND THEN SPEND IT IN DISNEY WORLD.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
It's Disney Land, thank you very much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tino posted:

STOP GOING TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY AND THEN SPEND IT IN DISNEY WORLD.

what if you live there

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Went a few months back during a normal weekday, it wasn't too bad with the free app? Expensive as you would expect, but the queues weren't that long for most of the poo poo (sub-30) and I got a few instant passes from the app during the course of the day to use. It was fun.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

I've also heard from all these people it's rarely super crowded (compared to disney in the US), and if you shell out for whatever the super premium cut-lines pass is it might be worth it anyway, which is true in American disney parks as well tbh.

quote:

A-MAZE-ing lines
Disney is the master of hiding the actual length on lines with twists and turns but I was A-MAZED at the Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean. I felt like a rat in a maze and that was on a rainy, windy MONDAY morning. Be prepared to wait and remember that the Western concept of lining up means nothing in China. Guard your position in line and don't be offended or flattered if someone presses up against you line,,,it is nothing personal.

Show less
Date of experience: May 2019

quote:

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Somethings differ greatly from the U.S.
This is my fifth Disney Park visited and while I am biased towards the U.S. Parks, I did think this Disneyland was better than the one in Hong Kong when it came to the variety of rides. Lots of original ones like the fun obstacle course (you have to wear actual harnesses) and the Princess ride that goes under Cinderella Castle. And this Park also has more of the classics, like The Pirates and the Caribbean and Snow White’s Mine Cart.

A downside for us was that the live shows were all in Chinese so we couldn’t understand them. Another thing that really bothered me is witnessing in two different lines, parents pulling out urine funnels and bottles and having their young children pee in them!! It was so gross, especially because the lines were really not that long (under one hour) so why couldn’t they just take their toddlers to the bathroom before standing in line like reasonable parents do? No one wants to stand behind you in line with your bottle of urine in your backpack or worse, watching you pour it out while people are standing behind you. Disney needs to really discourage this practice. I had heard about it in Hong Kong before visiting Shanghai Disneyland but didn’t actually believe it until I witnessed it twice in one afternoon!

quote:

A solid Disney experience
A solid Disney experience, that is made better with just a few tips. First, overall a Castle Park experience that will feel very familiar to you. Although several of the classics are not present, there are enough unique things to balance that out a bit. The park is large, and when were there it was clean and reasonably efficient despite occasional periods of crowding. If you statin a resort hotel, you can enter the park one hour early - in that time you can hit at least three, and maybe 4 of the most popular rides with no lines and no waiting. Combined with some assiduous fastness strategy you may not wait in a line until lunchtime. Second tip - you can purchase a fastness package and not wait in any lines at any time. It's not worth it on a low-crowd day, but worth every penny if it is busy. The concierge packages also include preferred seating for the parade and the evening lights and fireworks spectacular. Again - if you are willing to stake your spots out early and wait this is not necessary, but being on the front row without any anxiety was good for me. Others have noted that there is maybe not as much "Disney Spirit" here as at other parks, but that is a quibble. Where I was disappointed was in the quality of the food. Maybe step out to DisneyTown for your meals.

Show less

quote:

Nice looking park and incredible long lineups
I have been to every single Disneyland/Disneyworld parks except for the Japan ones. And obviously this is a personal opinion of this park.

Comparing to the other parks I have been to, the Shanghai Disneyland park was disappointing. The park itself was nice. The center piece, The Castle, was beautiful. There were many photo angles to take either photo or selfies that will give you amazing shots of the castle.

The rides in the park were disappointing. This was the worst part of the park. The lines were amazingly line, the longest wait for a ride throughout my 2 days there was 180 minutes (Soaring over the Horizon). That is 3 full hours to ride the ride once! On top of that, the feeling I had with the rides i've been on is that most rides are a lot shorter than similar rides in the other Disneyland parks. TRON took 90mins to line-up and the ride itself felt like it was 30 seconds or so and with the ride being very tamed. I mean it was cool to ride a coaster in the motorcycle sitting position, but other than that it wasn't anything special.

Fast passes were gone ridiculously early. Park opened at 830am, and by 930am the fast passes were basically all gone for the day, except for buzz lightyear's ride (which usually is only less than 10mins if you lined up anyways).

The park is very clean. 90% of the rides are in Chinese (so as a non-Chinese you would almost understand nothing) most of the staff know basic English so that was good. However, I felt like 1/2 the staff in the park didn't carry the Disneyland spirit. Half of them looked like they didn't even want to work there.

This park is definitely a 1day park if the lines weren't so long. Many of the rides were very disappointing (for example the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto) and you know what I mean once you have been on it. It is such a waste of time. This kind of ride should not be a "Disney attraction". There is no imagination or creativeness to it.

My final thought:
If I have a choice I would absolutely visit any other Disneyland park rather than this Shanghai one. It's big, but it's disappointing. Even the one in Hong Kong was better.
If this is a destination you can't miss, then plan accordingly, make sure you go on the Pirates of the Carribean ride and TRON (for the new-idea factor).

Show less

quote:

Truly Magical
This park so far is by far my favorite!!! The castle is AMAZING!!!! My only regret is going during a Chinese holiday which meant it was crazy crowded. There was almost a 2 hour wait for every attraction, but that was poor planning on my part. Otherwise, the park was very clean and well organized.

Show less

quote:

Not even considered Disney Lite
If you have traveled to other Disneyland's this will leave you very disappointed. It's an hour out of town and has very few of the standard rides. We were really looking forward to the day but found excessively long ques, poor food choices, and only really little kids rides. If you are there Tron is worth the wait as is pirates of the Caribbean but for the price, the lines and effort, there is so much more to enjoy in Shanghai.

Show less
Date of experience: April 2019

quote:

Best & worst day in one
Be prepared for a long detailed review from a Disney addict that has been to 5/6 Disney parks.

We visited shanghai Disney on a Wednesday. We purchased our tickets online before hand and arrived via taxi from our hotel in Shanghai. When buying our tickets we had to enter our passport details and bring the passports with us to gain entry.

As advised by our hotel concierge we arrived over an hour before opening (7:20 for 8:30 opening).
Having been to Disney world in Florida 35+ times I thought this was excessive but took the local advice and I’m so glad we did.

Upon arrival we got in a line for bag check. This was the worst part of our day. We waited in line (term used loosely) until 8:35. During this time we were pushed and shoved from every angle and people were blatantly queue jumping at every given opportunity. I think by the time we reached the front we were around 30 people behind the family we originally started behind!

Once we got through bag check we got in another line to the entrance turnstiles where you show the passport and they print your ticket. We waited in this line around 20 minutes and it wasn’t as pushy as the first line.
Frustratingly when we got to the front we learned I had messed up and booked the tickets for the day before..! Completely my fault but we then had to go to another line and get it sorted.
Once sorted we entered the park at 09:15 and attempted to sort out fastpases on the app. The WiFi in the park was rubbish. You have to enter your mobile number and get sent a code to put in. Unfortunately the WiFi never accepted the code so we ended up having to use mobile data to book them.
At 09:20 the first fastpass available was for 19:10!!! We could only book one fastpass and the next fastpass could be booked at 11:20 however when we tried at this time all passed for the day had gone!

If you want to buy fastpasses they’re 150¥ per ride per person so we didn’t bother. We decided as we had done a lot of the rides in other parks we would try and do the ones we hadn’t done.

Having got the 19:10 fastpass for Tron we headed to pirates of the Caribbean. We waited around 65 minutes and WOW was it worth it. We were fortunate to get the front row of the boat and I think this made it even better. The ride is nothing like POC in any of the other parks and is absolutely INCREDIBLE. I won’t ruin it but if you’re visiting this is an absolute must do!

Once we had done we grabbed some late breakfast at the patisserie. The water in this park is much cheaper than any others but the food was really expensive (you’re also not allowed to take any of your own food into the park although we did witness a lot of Chinese people in the line that morning hiding food up their jumpers!)
We paid around £30 for 2 ham and cheese toasted sandwiches and 2 cakes!!

After a quick food stop we headed to Tron seeing as our fastpass was for 19:10 when we would want to be getting a space for fireworks. When we got there we noticed lockers before the queue entrance. We tried to put our bags in but couldn’t pay via MasterCard so proceeded to the shop to ask for a coupon. It was here the so lady told us we could take our bags as there was places to put them when you got on the ride! This really wasn’t clear with signage and the presence of the lockers made us feel you had to use them!
The wait for Tron was 75 minutes. This wait was horrendous. We had a family behind us who stood so close they were touching us at all times. It seems the Chinese don’t have the same sense of space as westerners, at one point one of them turned and coughed right on me it was quite disgusting. In the end I had to let them ahead of us as I was getting severely claustrophobic and verging on bursting into tears (I wouldn’t usually class myself as claustrophobic). Luckily the family behind us were a little bit more distanced!
When we got to the front it paid to have let the family ahead of us as again we got the front row! Again this ride is nothing like any of the other parks and was fantastic! A must for anyone who enjoys rollercoasters!

After Tron we went on buzz which was slightly better than Florida but similar concept.

Soarin had a 200+ minute wait time all day so we gave that a miss as I read it’s the same as Florida except for showing the Shanghai park at the end.
Other smaller fantasyland rides also had 200 minute lines so we decided to take a break and walk around Disney town. The Minnie Ears in shanghai are 126¥ (£14) compared to around £22 in Florida so I stocked up on a few pairs!

Whilst in dosneytown we ate at the Cheesecake Factory which was lovely. Then headed back to the park.
We decided we weren’t going to wait for 200+ minutes for rides we had experienced in other parks so we waited again for POC and then spent time just wandering the park and the shops as all the lines were huge!

At 18:00 we headed to the front of the park and we’re shocked that there were loads of people already sat for the 20:30 fireworks.
We decided to sit further back so not to get shoved. We found a spot just to the left (as you’re facing the castle) before the bridge. We positioned ourselves in front of the railings with a small lake in front so that nobody could get in front of us.
I’d recommend this spot (will add a photo of the view) but be prepared to spread out your bags etc as the closer it gets to the start more and more people arrive and you end up getting squashed in. The fireworks weren’t anywhere near as good as Florida and the story was in Chinese so hard for us to follow.

Overall, based on the rides I’d say this is probably my favourite Disney park we have been to (have been to all except LA). I did
however find the day stressful and uncomfortable in comparison to the relaxed happy feeling you get in other parks. We also only did 3 different rides due to the insane wait times.

During the day we saw only 5 other western people which was fine however a lot of the Chinese were taking “sly” videos and photos of us and the children were pointing and laughing which was somewhat awkward and the parents didn’t seem to tell them to stop.

Apologies for the long review - I hope this review helps others to plan and enjoy their day!

Show less

all from the first page of trip advisor

Shanghai disney is a hard pass for me, have zero desire to go anytime in the next decade, but I'm a Disney kid who spent summers 45 minutes from Disneyland in Anaheim so I grew up with the best possible Disney experiences.

I really don't think magna is correct here but he and I had exact opposite china experiences for like a decade so it makes sense he thinks the lines are short and everything is great, lol

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Growing up 45 minutes away from disneyland explains a lot

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You can just buy fastpasses for every ride if you want them? Is that a thing at every Disney park?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've never been to the place and have no real desire to, but I have some colleagues with kids who said it was hot fire when it first opened but it's vastly improved in the past year or so.

Tbh I'd have expected it to be a trashfire with 100000 people cutting lines so I thought I'd share I've heard otherwise.

I will say the only time I went to disneyland? disneyworld? (the florida one) in the US the lines were also crazy and I waited an hour+ for a couple rides so that seems like its par for the course in a disney park and the least china-specific hit against it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

sincx posted:

Can't wait until China bans Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh on national security grounds.

2030: Xi's Marxist revolution complete, Shanghai Disneyland is nationalized and turned into the Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf Experience.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

You can just buy fastpasses for every ride if you want them? Is that a thing at every Disney park?

I mean if you’re crazy super rich in the USA you can buy ways to access the park others can’t but by and large no, you can’t just buy fast passes for every ride, that’s a specific Shanghai thing

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Now when you say "crazy super rich" do you mean "can afford $30 per ride" like it seems in Shanghai or like "can charter the entire park for a day"?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Now when you say "crazy super rich" do you mean "can afford $30 per ride" like it seems in Shanghai or like "can charter the entire park for a day"?

The average person only earns $10 a day mate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I mean if you’re crazy super rich in the USA you can buy ways to access the park others can’t but by and large no, you can’t just buy fast passes for every ride, that’s a specific Shanghai thing

Fun fact: this guy literally believes in capitalism, lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I was taken aback when the hot take websites like Vox or whatever coined the phrase "Surveillance Capitalism" just to make the typical daily capitalism deed sound extra bad. Whatever Disney is doing should definitely get their own brand of capitalism. I am thinking "Family Holiday Capitalism".

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Fun fact: this guy literally believes in capitalism, lol

?

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

I mean like charter the park for the entire day. you can't buy access to single rides at Disneyland or disneyworld. that's not the way it works anywhere other than Shanghai

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if I do end up going to Shanghai Disneyland I'll be prepared to just buy the fast passes for my family because there is no way I am waiting in line two to three hours in Shanghai for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
**updates tga tourism plans.txt**