Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

midi is good and orchestra is overrated imo

I never minded it in DQXI since it still has a lot of videogamey bleeps and bloops as sfx so it never felt out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

me your dad posted:

Thanks for the advice on gear. I'll see what the best stuff is that I can make and then I'll have to source the ingredients. That should have the side benefit of helping me level up a bit more.

Regarding annoying sounds - nothing has been as bad as the first part of the game with Erik. I don't know why but his voice annoys the poo poo out of me.

I don't think Erik's voice is bad, but that first stretch of the game where he's the only one talking after combat can get grating pretty fast, especially if you end up fighting a ton.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

U-DO Burger posted:

lol i just don't get why so many people hate the music
The music's fine, it's just either all reused or entirely forgettable. Getting the orchestral score probably wouldn't have saved it, imo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DQXI's music is weird because the MIDI instruments they use are so bad, like Dragon Quest Builders is MIDI too but sounds so much better. I'm glad they're using an orchestra in the new port though it really could have been fixed with just adjusting the MIDI set.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

lol i just don't get why so many people hate the music

Complaining about "midi" is the audio equivalent of complaining about "jaggies" in HD graphics or whatever.

The music is fine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The music uses low-quality samples that don't flatter the compositions.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

U-DO Burger posted:

midi is good and orchestra is overrated imo

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

So I started DQ11 over the weekend. It seems to start a little slow but I feel like it's picking up. It's been a while since I've played a full on rpg so seems like a good time for me to really dive into one.

I'm probably going to go for the platinum trophy. I see there's nothing missable but is there anything I should worry about specifically while I tackle the story? Just do all quests as I find them and try to explore to find as much as I can, yeah?

Pretty sure the only thing actually missable is at the very very end of Act 2. When a bunch of pink markers show up on your map, visit all of them before the obvious story progression one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
MIDI is good, DQXI's soundfont is pure rear end

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dragon quest xi platinum acquired in 75 hours.

Man this is a solid rpg game. The first act is basically your traditional rpg (with slightly twists to the substories) then it really ramps up in act 2 and finally act 3 feels like the breakthrough of most traditions.

Its weird how only 15% of people have beaten the true final boss but 34% will have beaten act 2.

Overall a really solid game even if I think having those three arcs is a little much padding. It's almost like an entire separate game in each of those arcs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that's intentional imo

some dq games can feel like 2-3 seasons of a show crammed into a single game and for me that's part of the charm

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some games are written to have pacing like a movie, or a novel, or a short story. Dragon Quest is absolutely paced like whole seasons of television. It's not alone in being written that way, but it does it well and it's traditional.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I totally get it. This is the first one I've actually finished all the way. It was an enjoyable ride.

The engine looks great too. It has some general slow down and I think they need some better textures (you can still make improvements on small stuff like ears and such) but I hope they just do a new game with the same engine. I'll even settle for remakes of older games (the true ending seems to segue into an older DQ game?)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I totally get it. This is the first one I've actually finished all the way. It was an enjoyable ride.

The engine looks great too. It has some general slow down and I think they need some better textures (you can still make improvements on small stuff like ears and such) but I hope they just do a new game with the same engine. I'll even settle for remakes of older games (the true ending seems to segue into an older DQ game?)

The ending alludes to Dragon Quest 3 (1988), still to this day the best-selling one, and the oldest one that holds up without caveats (except that you should always play the most recent remake).

Depending on why you didn't finish any other Dragon Quests, it may or may not do it for you, but I like it a lot; it's my second favorite behind 11.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The ending alludes to Dragon Quest 3 (1988), still to this day the best-selling one, and the oldest one that holds up without caveats (except that you should always play the most recent remake).

Depending on why you didn't finish any other Dragon Quests, it may or may not do it for you, but I like it a lot; it's my second favorite behind 11.

Kind of. It does have the caveat that you should play Dragon Quest 1 first to fully enjoy it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

HPanda posted:

Kind of. It does have the caveat that you should play Dragon Quest 1 first to fully enjoy it.

Still have memories of that blowing my mind as a kid. Pre-internet was an amazing time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bongo Bill posted:

I actually disagree with this to a considerable degree. The remakes of 3 add some systems that are poorly implemented and, while avoidable, would probably leave the game better off if they hadn't been implemented. Plus, there's no real "definitive edition" as the version with the most content is technically competent but visually brutal.

In my estimation, DQ2 (and 1, to a lesser extent) is the one where I would say "Play any of the remakes and you'll be fine". People keep painting all versions of 2 with the same brush and it's the whole "bad apple spoils the bunch" problem. If someone were to ask me which version of 3 to play, I would probably recommend the NES original.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The NES version still has a pre-modern EXP curve, which is why I caution against it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Bongo Bill posted:

The NES version still has a pre-modern EXP curve, which is why I caution against it.

Yeah, my last playthrough of DQ3 was on the translated SNES remaster, and I'd recommend that one.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Luceo posted:

Yeah, my last playthrough of DQ3 was on the translated SNES remaster, and I'd recommend that one.

Seconding this, it's fantastic.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Bongo Bill posted:

Which just mean listening to 90s rap while you grind. Nostalgia!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually disagree with this to a considerable degree. The remakes of 3 add some systems that are poorly implemented and, while avoidable, would probably leave the game better off if they hadn't been implemented. Plus, there's no real "definitive edition" as the version with the most content is technically competent but visually brutal.

In my estimation, DQ2 (and 1, to a lesser extent) is the one where I would say "Play any of the remakes and you'll be fine". People keep painting all versions of 2 with the same brush and it's the whole "bad apple spoils the bunch" problem. If someone were to ask me which version of 3 to play, I would probably recommend the NES original.

I would definitely play the mobile remake of DQ1 above the original these days. DQ1 is a very uncomplicated game, so cutting down on the grinding means it doesn't really wear out its welcome. The mobile version is my recommendation just because it blends some of the Ye Old English from the original NES game with the more modern enemy and spell names.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nemo2342 posted:

I would definitely play the mobile remake of DQ1 above the original these days. DQ1 is a very uncomplicated game, so cutting down on the grinding means it doesn't really wear out its welcome. The mobile version is my recommendation just because it blends some of the Ye Old English from the original NES game with the more modern enemy and spell names.

I agree that the mobile version of both 1 and 2 are the best versions of their respective iterations, with the usual asterisk that it is a mobile game and thus offputting to a fair number of people due to the controls.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I bought the mobile Dragon Warrior 1 during the last sale based on many posts that said the mobile ports were good. I thought touchscreen controls wouldn't be significant issue for a turn based rpg but I was very wrong. I had a hard time navigating towns and talking to moving characters. Overall, I found the controls to be tedious and frustrating. On top of that, the port is extremely bare bones in terms of functionality and I would kill for Bluetooth controller support.

I wish they would release a collection on the Switch or Steam or something.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know why square enix will port their lovely mobile versions of final fantasy games to PC but not their mobile versions of dragon quest games. I'm gonna blame Sugiyama.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bentacos posted:

I don't know why square enix will port their lovely mobile versions of final fantasy games to PC but not their mobile versions of dragon quest games. I'm gonna blame Sugiyama.

They have made ports to 3ds and ps4, we just don't get them for whatever dumb reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They even did that 1-3 collection for Wii ages ago.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile ports of 4-6 are just straight up the DS versions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RVWinkle posted:

I bought the mobile Dragon Warrior 1 during the last sale based on many posts that said the mobile ports were good. I thought touchscreen controls wouldn't be significant issue for a turn based rpg but I was very wrong. I had a hard time navigating towns and talking to moving characters. Overall, I found the controls to be tedious and frustrating. On top of that, the port is extremely bare bones in terms of functionality and I would kill for Bluetooth controller support.

I wish they would release a collection on the Switch or Steam or something.

I did well enough on the mobile ports of 1, 2 and a bit of 3, but controls with no tactile feedback are just very limited and I certainly won't judge you for not liking them. If I may suggest, the translated SFC version(s) of 1 and 2 are quite good and use traditional controls. The only significant QoL feature missing is that, in the SFC games, Return/Zoom only takes the player back to the most recent save point and costs more MP, while in the mobile versions it is a general teleport spell that only costs 1 MP.

Bongo Bill posted:

The mobile ports of 4-6 are just straight up the DS versions.

Basically, although 4 mobile put back in party chat. It was a real shame that that was missing in the DS version.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

If I may suggest, the translated SFC version(s) of 1 and 2 are quite good and use traditional controls.

This is a good suggestion, thanks! I do own a SuperNT and at one point I was working on curating a list of SNES roms, hacks, and translations but I lost interest after a while.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Hour 65 reached on DQVII. This game... sooo maaany stories. Some good, some forgettable. They really could've cut a few of these islands out, good lord. Finished the last one (I think) and it's crazy to see how they are trying to weave a linking thread through all this stuff.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Can someone help me in Dragon Quest VIII. I am in Argonia once Jessica disappears - I've got no idea where to go or which direction in the overworld to head.

Can someone point me to where I need to be please?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where haven't you been yet?

I think you should head for Arcadia next, but I don't recall what clues send you there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BadAstronaut posted:

Can someone help me in Dragon Quest VIII. I am in Argonia once Jessica disappears - I've got no idea where to go or which direction in the overworld to head.

Can someone point me to where I need to be please?

That's intentional. You're supposed to go looking for her and find clues about where she went. Just chill and go talk to people.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We going mobile now:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-03-dragon-quest-gets-pokemon-go-style-mobile-game

Enjoy watching this one also not come to the West.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Pokémon Go clone? I’ll survive without it.

Kagger
Jul 1, 2017
Dq8 on mobile so far feels good. They made the alchemy pot instant.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kagger posted:

Dq8 on mobile so far feels good. They made the alchemy pot instant.

This is carried over from the 3DS version.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This is carried over from to the 3DS version.
The mobile port of DQ8 is older than the 3DS port, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Demtor posted:

Hour 65 reached on DQVII. This game... sooo maaany stories. Some good, some forgettable. They really could've cut a few of these islands out, good lord. Finished the last one (I think) and it's crazy to see how they are trying to weave a linking thread through all this stuff.

i think horii said once that they tried to make up for the long gap between 6 and 7 by making 7 as big as they could