Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

https://twitter.com/SuperDepressin/status/1130102998712164352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
And then there remains the question who actually produced and distributed the video.
Current (informed) speculations largely veer towards a "western intelligence agency".

If this turns out to be true, it would be unheard of in this political era and the political implications be massive: A foreign agent actively toppling a EU government, manipulating EU elections.

On the other hand, while extremely embarassing, saving the Austrians from themselves sure would have prevented a thing or two in the last century. :v:

Edit: lol, my Hauptschulenglisch sure didn't prepare me to discuss this.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2019

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I think it's extremely fun to see 2 fash parties zerfleisch themselves.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Der Fischer Heinzi als Verfassungsexperte (und Interimskanzler in spe, aber :ssh:) in der ZiB 2 :allears:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Ich wünsch mir nur dass nicht ausgerechnet der Sobotka Nationalratspräsident wäre.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Meanwhile, German conservatives also have an idea or two about the people who they assume are behind this, you'll never guess who it is

yeah it's the Jews
https://www.cicero.de/aussenpolitik/heinz-christian-strache-video-johannes-gudenus-ibiza-israel-mossad

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

FÜNF

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mano posted:

I think it's extremely fun to see 2 fash parties zerfleisch themselves.
From where I stand, I don't think the ÖVP is being zerfleischt in this, but then again, I'm standing pretty far away from Austria.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Niki Lauda (1949-2019) I guess for what his body has gone through it's actually a pretty good age, but I actually thought he's older.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I don't car

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Finally reunited with his ears in heaven

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Advertising down with the kids

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Meanwhile in Hamburg:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Meanwhile in Hamburg:

Isn't this like the Hamburg version of Lederhosen and a Gamshut? SPD going for the Trachtenverein vote?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

At first I thought Smirr being that baffled by Cologne was an exaggeration, but now I think he might be on to something :thunk:

https://twitter.com/lostinnippes/status/1130186092718829568?s=21

https://twitter.com/spiegel_top/status/1130413878809022464?s=21

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This has my full support
In fact, more of Köln should be below ground!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Köln looking at Stuttgart and going 'hold my "beer" ' is gonna be great

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maybe they just use the plans from the public library?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
:thejoke:

https://twitter.com/fischblog/status/1130558915480084481?s=21

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/oct/03/3?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

"One intriguing result was that Germans - not renowned for their sense of humour - found just about everything funny. They did not express a strong preference for any type of joke."

Even though this poll is worth whatever it is worth, this confirms a long-held suspicion I had, in particular when going to the cinema (where people constantly laugh at anything remotely funny. It is so exaggerated that it becomes weird for us foreigners coming from southern European countries. Sometimes some older German work colleagues will burst out laughing with things that aren't that funny). Is this something that Germans can also feel or is it only visible for those coming from the outside?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

kennste kennste kennste

No I think this is all in your head

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I'd like to see their data split between east and west germany. Coming to the west from the east i found that the humor became a lot, a LOT more american. Particularly a massive amount of the humor in everyday interactions here is based around making GBS threads on people as a form of "bonding".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

"One intriguing result was that Germans - not renowned for their sense of humour - found just about everything funny. They did not express a strong preference for any type of joke."

Even though this poll is worth whatever it is worth, this confirms a long-held suspicion I had, in particular when going to the cinema (where people constantly laugh at anything remotely funny. It is so exaggerated that it becomes weird for us foreigners coming from southern European countries. Sometimes some older German work colleagues will burst out laughing with things that aren't that funny). Is this something that Germans can also feel or is it only visible for those coming from the outside?

how would we know, if we are as biased as the text implies?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think it's funny. :newlol:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Sereri posted:

No I think this is all in your head

This is a topic within my group of (south-European) friends, we joke a bit about it. It's not a big deal, just a national trait like any other. Better that than humorlessness, no?

quote:

Maybe some of you have been abroad and can compare? One learns a lot about his own country when he spends some time out.
Or it could also be a slightly generational thing, it seems to be stronger with middle-aged Germans.

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2019

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

A lot of humour relies on prior knowledge, which may make a thing funny for one person, but much less so for someone else, who doesn't have the same frame of reference.
If it is any consolation to you, I sometimes also don't get the humor of my host country, even though I've been living here for more than a decade.

quote:

People from the Republic of Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand most enjoyed jokes involving word plays.

Huh, who would have thought, native speakers have a stronger preference for jokes that require an intimate knowledge of the language than people, for whom English is the 2nd or third language.
I mean, if it was the other way around, with all the jokes being written in German (and with only school-German and Google to help translate), I doubt that native English speakers would still appear to prefer word-play jokes, their results would be all over the place, depending on how easy to understand the jokes were.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

That's a fairly good point. There's a lot of wordplay in stuff like german rap that's note even remotely worth trying to explain to a foreigner. Heck, even the most basic wordplay in Rammstein goes past most of them, despite Rammstein being wildly popular abroad.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It’s the same in Switzerland, but I think it’s more generational than geographic. Boomers just find everything funny, it makes going to the cinema hell. Like, I was enjoying the elegiac stylings of Jarmusch’s “Paterson” a few years ago and the boomer next to me literally at least snorted at every second line, and he often roared with laughter. It became so bad that I had to shush him. He also picked his nose. In conclusion, gently caress boomers.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Wengy posted:

He also picked his nose. In conclusion, gently caress boomers.

Man, dating in Switzerland is weirder than I thought

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Man, dating in Switzerland is weirder than I thought

Finger in der Nase = Tanz die ganze Nacht.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh wow lol, I've often wondered how everyone seems to know not to even try to use that escalator, since it's not more obviously broken than any of the other broken escalators. But I guess word gets around over the span of 15 years.

e: oh, it's all of them at Ebertplatz, not only the specific one I was thinking of. That's actually reassuring in a way

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Smirr posted:

Oh wow lol, I've often wondered how everyone seems to know not to even try to use that escalator, since it's not more obviously broken than any of the other broken escalators. But I guess word gets around over the span of 15 years.

e: oh, it's all of them at Ebertplatz, not only the specific one I was thinking of. That's actually reassuring in a way

I think you've been assimilated.

Sorry, it's too late for fleeing. The Kölsch have added your biologival distinctiveness.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mano posted:

I think you've been assimilated.

Sorry, it's too late for fleeing. The Kölsch have added your biologival distinctiveness.

Yeah, I've noticed. Still, this tweet

https://twitter.com/TimoUnbehaun/status/1130395612913045504

made me want to commit a murder so maybe there's still a little of the old me left somewhere

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ossi to Kölner is basically a lateral movement. :shrug:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Als Ossi der Köln und Umgebung für sehr befremdlich hält frag ich mich welche Dimensionen von der Bewegung denn unberührt bleiben.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Zumal ich Westberliner bin

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Smirr posted:

Zumal ich Westberliner bin

Berlin ist auf der falschen Seite der West-Ost Linie, aber auf der richtigen Seite der Nord-Süd Linie.

Köln ist auf der richtigen Seite der West-Ost Linie, aber auf der falschen Seite der Nord-Süd Linie.

Demnach immer noch auf einem der schlechten Kartenviertel. :colbert:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randler posted:

Berlin ist auf der falschen Seite der West-Ost Linie, aber auf der richtigen Seite der Nord-Süd Linie.

Köln ist auf der richtigen Seite der West-Ost Linie, aber auf der falschen Seite der Nord-Süd Linie.

Hell yeah, now we're cooking with gas. I'm the slant of the north-south-line. None shall slander the fine people of Lüneburg.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Randler posted:

This implies there is more than one good quarter and the only one you haven't covered contains most of Bavaria... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Nothing wrong with Lübeck, it spawned your greatest author