Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the main problem with an "Avengers game", conceptually, is the same one you get with an X-Men one, i.e. it's kind of hard to do a game about a whole team worth of characters with wildly distinct abilities without it being immediately pigeonholed as a class based RPG and/or shooter. And Ultimate Alliance 3 already exists, so...

I just hope they don't try and make it in first person. The whole point of these characters is that they're striking to look at. Ideally it's not going to be heavy on loot either, but I can't see a big third party game publisher releasing a game in modern times WITHOUT creating a bottomless spend hole...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

What are you basing this on, there's literally almost no information available.

No, it's not because "WAAAAAAAAAH SJWS ARE RUINING MY CRAPPY FUNNY BOOKS!" that poo poo is why the world is so hosed up, look at America's current president for more information.

Squares idea of getting people hyped for Avengers is to release a crappy trailer that tells us barely anything about the game itself, make the team that made the new Deus Exes and Tomb Raiders work on it, and then not talk about it at all for years.

Seriously, the only reasons for that would either be because:

1. Square is braindead.

2. The game was barely in progress when the trailer was made, so they could barely tell us anything about the games, well, plot or gameplay, and thus they shot themselves in the foot by releasing it early.

3. It's going through development hell and will go the same route as Anthem.

4. Square is braindead AND the above two.

IIRC, the teams that did Deus Ex and Tomb Raider are working on it, so that's a lot of people, and seriously, 2-3 loving years and just ONE preview? I am convinced this will be an great example of too many cooks in a kitchen.

Lurdiak posted:

Considering how shoddy Mankind Divided was I have no idea why anyone would be raring for another one.

Square meddling with Mankind Divided was why that game sucked. And lovely writers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You literally shifted from "It sucks because it's a cheap MCU cash-in" to "It sucks because they haven't told us anything about it" :psyduck:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Considering how shoddy Mankind Divided was I have no idea why anyone would be raring for another one.

I've always found it interesting why some games instantly get a sequel greenlit which are almost always disappointing since they are rushed, while other acclaimed games do not and instead get a sequel many years after all the anticipation for them have died out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vakal posted:

I've always found it interesting why some games instantly get a sequel greenlit which are almost always disappointing since they are rushed, while other acclaimed games do not and instead get a sequel many years after all the anticipation for them have died out.

The video game industry is run by maniacs and orcs wearing human skin suits. But if you look at the publishers instead of just the franchises, you can easily establish a pattern of behavior. EA for example loves a rushed sequel, usually made by none of the people who made the beloved original.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TheNamedSavior posted:

2. The game was barely in progress when the trailer was made, so they could barely tell us anything about the games, well, plot or gameplay, and thus they shot themselves in the foot by releasing it early.

It is this but they released it early to get some hype up, as we've talked about in the last couple of pages, which it did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

The video game industry is run by maniacs and orcs wearing human skin suits. But if you look at the publishers instead of just the franchises, you can easily establish a pattern of behavior. EA for example loves a rushed sequel, usually made by none of the people who made the beloved original.

That's an insult to Orcs. :orks:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

Square only published Deus Ex, so I don't know know what that would have anything to do with Avengers.

Deus Ex was developed by Eidos, who are owned by Square Enix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's an insult to Orcs. :orks:

Nah.

This is an accurate depiction of many game studios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nipponophile posted:

Deus Ex was developed by Eidos, who are owned by Square Enix.

Yes Square publishes their games, but Square themselves did not develop the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

So hey, you're not alone in this by any means, but there's a lot going on here and a lot of it is based on misconceptions about how games are made and marketed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

Yes Square publishes their games, but Square themselves did not develop the game.

Are you trying to argue that the company which owns a studio has no input or influence on their development process?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Are you trying to argue that the company which owns a studio has no input or influence on their development process?

This can be the case. Sony is one known for letting their owned studios do their own thing.

But it’s probably not with Square.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nipponophile posted:

No, just that the developers working on Avengers might not even be the same ones as the ones who work on Deus Ex since they own multiple studios.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

It depends on the companies involved.

With Mankind Divided in particular, I have heard nothing to indicate that Square Enix took a hand in its development or content at all. Eidos Montreal made all the major decisions involved with its creation.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was playing Ultimate Alliance 1 and there's a side quest where you have to choose between two hackers, one of which is named CB Cebulski and is the correct option because he's totally trustworthy and would never sell out his friends

:v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

I was playing Ultimate Alliance 1 and there's a side quest where you have to choose between two hackers, one of which is named CB Cebulski and is the correct option because he's totally trustworthy and would never sell out his friends

That's funny as hell, but not really related to Cebulski's actual unethical behavior

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, I know, it's just funny to have a whole side quest about how great CB Cebulski is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Is the other named Akira Yoshida?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Wanderer posted:

It depends on the companies involved.

With Mankind Divided in particular, I have heard nothing to indicate that Square Enix took a hand in its development or content at all. Eidos Montreal made all the major decisions involved with its creation.

Game clearly ends on a cliffhanger and is ENTIRELY trying to set up a big dumb plot twist about how Adam (Spoilers for both Deus Ex and Metal Gear) IS ACTUALLY A CLONE OMFG THAT TOTALLY ISN'T RIPPING OFF MGSV AT ALL.

But instead, the game was weirdly spammed with lovely DLC, a lovely story that requires you to read the tie in books to even understand what's going on, and just around the same time, Hitman was doing a weird multi-episode model at the same time.

Coincidence? I think not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Crystal Dynamics is the company attached to the Avengers game for now, them being the current Tomb Raider developers. So... bot high expectations, but Ill keep an eye out for the next E3 or the one after. (Babylon Fall might be the big SE game for next year even if its by PlatinumGames)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TheNamedSavior posted:

Game clearly ends on a cliffhanger and is ENTIRELY trying to set up a big dumb plot twist about how Adam (Spoilers for both Deus Ex and Metal Gear) IS ACTUALLY A CLONE OMFG THAT TOTALLY ISN'T RIPPING OFF MGSV AT ALL.

But instead, the game was weirdly spammed with lovely DLC, a lovely story that requires you to read the tie in books to even understand what's going on, and just around the same time, Hitman was doing a weird multi-episode model at the same time.

Look, if you have a theory, identify it as such.

DLC is a fact of life for games aimed at a console market, Eidos Montreal is hardly the only company that uses out-of-game materials for storytelling (Blizzard has become notorious for it), and IO Interactive's episodic model has no relevance or real similarity to the "Jensen's Stories" DLC.

Right now, you're making up conspiracies to justify a thoroughly irrational rant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why would that be ripping off MGSV and not... you know, the entire rest of the Deus Ex series where your protagonists have literally always been clones and also the central premise is Every Conspiracy Theory Is Real.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasnt jenson implied to be a clone in the emails you find in the latter parts of his first game

site fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 19, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Want jenson implied to be a clone in the emails you find in the latter parts of his first game

No, just genetically modified in the womb which is why he can be Special Aug'd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the character from Invisible War was the one who was directly supposed to be a clone of JC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the character from Invisible War was the one who was directly supposed to be a clone of JC.

JC and Alex Denton are both clones of Paul.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

ImpAtom posted:

JC and Alex Denton are both clones of Paul.

I think the implication was all of them (and a lot of the nano augmentation technology) are based off of Adam’s genetic template.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and where's adam come from

tube
tube baby

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's been a while since I played Human Revolution or Mankind Divided but I don't remember anything about Adam being someone's clone.

I remember he was gene engineered to be able to accept all the augmentation and that the Illuminati wanted to make the first Deus Ex game happen but little else of crucial importance.

Apart from how difficult it was to get the achievements for no killing enemies, stealth running the game AND saving both sets of hostages in the last level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why did stealth takedowns cost energy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess i musta just confused gene editing in the womb with yet another clone story in my memory

Lurdiak posted:

working your limbs costs energy but only when your hitting people i guess. yeah it was dumb

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It was for gameplay balance reasons.

Otherwise all you would do is switch on Cloaking, Silent Movement, Speed running and then dash through a level doing stealth double takedowns on every enemy and clear the levels in about two minutes before your battery runs dry.
By making each takedown cost one bar, it means you can't just completely end levels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah but doing things stealth is already a huge pain in the rear end compared to just blowing everyone the gently caress up, I feel like that tradeoff is already enough hassle for the player. I mean every other game with stealth does it like that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all of those augs suck up a ton of juice on their own, is it really the energy from silent takedowns that makes the gameplay balanced

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The designers for both modern Deus Ex games clearly intended an ideal stealth run to be one where you got through without spending any energy or interacting directly with a human target. They incentivized pure stealth with the "ghost" bonus, and made it clear that any stealth takedown in your arsenal was going to cost you a resource, whether it was energy, ammunition, gas mines, or what-have-you. A pure shoot-'em-up approach is easy, but it's also messy and narratively described as a failure condition; NPCs will berate you for being a murderer.

However, like a lot of things about the Eidos Montreal design, it's such a soft pressure towards a certain approach that most players don't realize it's there at all. They didn't commit to making you go all-in on a certain character build the way that the original Deus Ex did, so instead, your progress through the game ends up being this smorgasbord hell-blend of whatever you feel like doing at the time. It's more organic, but less customizable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

It's been a while since I played Human Revolution or Mankind Divided but I don't remember anything about Adam being someone's clone.

I remember he was gene engineered to be able to accept all the augmentation and that the Illuminati wanted to make the first Deus Ex game happen but little else of crucial importance.

Apart from how difficult it was to get the achievements for no killing enemies, stealth running the game AND saving both sets of hostages in the last level.

The Adam you play as in MD is strongly implied to be a clone of Adam. Different augs, fuzzy memory, and you can find a body in a container that uses Adam's model in versalife. They also do a lot of "a man resembling Adam" stuff in text

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Adam you play as in MD is strongly implied to be a clone of Adam. Different augs, fuzzy memory, and you can find a body in a container that uses Adam's model in versalife. They also do a lot of "a man resembling Adam" stuff in text

Ah that explains it.
I never went to Versalife to get the cure for the bio weapon.
I went to the building with the Hacker cult to get the bomb jamming device.
It's cool, might have to replay it.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 21, 2019

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

If anyone was concerned there wouldn’t be a large X-Men presence in MUA3:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1131560411881336832?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Scrap Dragon posted:

If anyone was concerned there wouldn’t be a large X-Men presence in MUA3:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1131560411881336832?s=21

Oh gently caress yes. Playable Brotherhood makes it a Day 1 buy for me.