Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

As someone who had a Vive and a WMR headset, I want to get back into the VR swing of things. I sold off my Vive because there was nothing to play in the early days and my WMR just stopped working with my last laptop for some reason and according to the internet was a common problem with no solution. After having enjoyed the pleasures of inside-out tracking I don't want to go back to the god drat lighthouses and the $1K for the Index kit is bullshit anyway, what's the best option? Go for another WMR headset and hope it works just fine with my current laptop, or should I just get a Rift S?

If I got with the Rift S, do I have to do much fuckery to get it working with Steam and forgo whatever the Oculus walled garden is?

If you go for a Rift S, you will need the Oculus software to actually run the headset, but you dont have to buy any software in the Oculus App, you can do everything through Steam if you'd like to (except oculus exclusives, obviously)

Kilazar posted:

I was using big screen, and netflix. Avengers looked like canned butt.

Huh, I just popped into a movie in Bigscreen for a bit a couple nights ago, and it was clearly an HD video. Maybe move around to different rooms? It could be that the room owner was showing a garbage rip. I'm on PCVR though, so I dont know how the Quests CPU differential from a PC plays into this

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

punished milkman posted:

Don't get my Rift S til Friday :negative:

Just FYI No Man's Sky is 60% off on green man gaming (you get a steam key) and a VR update is supposedly on the way soon if that interests anyone.

I was supposed to get my rift-s today, even had a tracking # from amazon.ca, but then they changed it to Friday as well. Really annoyed that they would do that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Shai-Hulud posted:

As someone who just put a TPCast on his Vive: Yes. Yes it does.

If you think that's good wireless try the Serious Sam games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you go for a Rift S, you will need the Oculus software to actually run the headset, but you dont have to buy any software in the Oculus App, you can do everything through Steam if you'd like to (except oculus exclusives, obviously)

Would there be a better option than the Rift S? The S seems to have some shortcomings, 80hz, lovely sound, but the price is right. Would going the Odyssey+ or Reverb route be better?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s.i.r.e. posted:

Would there be a better option than the Rift S? The S seems to have some shortcomings, 80hz, lovely sound, but the price is right. Would going the Odyssey+ or Reverb route be better?

Not really unless you're mostly just interested in sim racing. The negatives of the S don't outweigh the crappy WMR controllers or their small tracking volume.

On the other hand if you were fine with those wands and their limitations, Reverb has the highest resolution (and system requirements).

The bigger point is you mentioned you have a laptop, the newer headsets, rift S, reverb, index are moving to DP, and won't work with a DP -> HDMI adapter. If your laptop doesn't have a mini DP connector, or a USB C lighting connection, and only has HDMI, you won't be able to use any of the newer headsets on it anyways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WMR apparently has not great hand tracking, but I dont own one so :iiam:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

1. I expected at least dvd quality on the video apps. But they all seem to be SD quality. Is that just the hardware or is that common to watching movies in VR?
Think about it this way, the Quest has what, a 1440x1600 resolution? If it was just a screen, the largest 16:9 window you could get on it would already be barely better than 720p, and then looking at that screen through a circular lens means the largest visible rectangle is gonna be even smaller than that. Even then probably still the screen you were looking at wasn't as big as it possibly could be, because that isn't too comfortable, a lot of those pixels map to the outer periphery of the lens. The theater environment in Bigscreen doesn't even have the screen quite using your entire FOV.

So yeah its totally possible that the virtual screen you were looking at occupied about as many pixels as an SD screen. + scaling and barrel distortion aliasing making the apparent quality even worse

Amileo
Aug 18, 2012
Someone mentioned those 14mm covers for headsets since I guess it matches the standard Vive cushion hence the suggestion to use that for dealing with how irritating the original material on the Vive is.

I was wondering, has anyone tried the 6mm that gets you "closer" to the screens? Does it make text in games feel sharper at all? I've found adjusting my headset and trying to push it closer some makes text look a bit better but usually the headset slips ever so slightly and text gets a bit rough again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Not really unless you're mostly just interested in sim racing. The negatives of the S don't outweigh the crappy WMR controllers or their small tracking volume.

On the other hand if you were fine with those wands and their limitations, Reverb has the highest resolution (and system requirements).

The bigger point is you mentioned you have a laptop, the newer headsets, rift S, reverb, index are moving to DP, and won't work with a DP -> HDMI adapter. If your laptop doesn't have a mini DP connector, or a USB C lighting connection, and only has HDMI, you won't be able to use any of the newer headsets on it anyways.

I've got a USB C with Lightning, so I should be good on that. I wasn't a fan of the WMR controllers (or the Vive ones to be honest), I had the Odyssey with the redesigned ones but still wasn't really that happen with them, are the Rift controllers that much better?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WMR apparently has not great hand tracking, but I dont own one so :iiam:

It wasn't that great and I had issues playing Gorn (the main reason I want to play VR again). Certain things weren't possible, like using the spear because one hand would have to be out of the tracking space to use it properly. Also any game that had a bow and arrow? Good luck.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, one big flaw I've seen so far with the Oculus Quest is that it doesn't give you a numeric IPD display while adjusting the slider. That means you just gotta fiddle with it and see if you get eye strain and/or a headache before you go fiddle with it some more. Oh, and as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any way to go back to the IPD adjust screen with the green bars.

If my IPD is wrong, my eyes hurt and I get a headache, so this is going to be a painful session of trial and error for me.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've got a USB C with Lightning, so I should be good on that. I wasn't a fan of the WMR controllers (or the Vive ones to be honest), I had the Odyssey with the redesigned ones but still wasn't really that happen with them, are the Rift controllers that much better?

Ok, cool, then you'd just need a lighting -> DP adapter. As far as the controllers, yeah, they really are that much better. It doesn't seem like microsoft bothered to do any ergonomic testing when making them, as opposed to the touch controllers that really just fit right into your hand, with the added buttons, analog grip, and capacitive touch sensors to do your points and thumbs up and some basic hand movements. Having the 5 cameras also gives it a range of tracking coverage thats basically complete unless your hands are behind your back, or your covering one of the controllers with your arm or something.

If you are in the US, best buy should have displays of the quest and rift-s, and you can check out the controllers. I just would have a hard time recommending WMR anymore to people unless they're on a VERY limited budget and a WMR set for $170 on sale is available, or they're a dedicated simmer whos not really going to be playing a ton of general VR games (in which case the reverb's resolution is unmatched). Outside of that, now the rift s is even easier to setup than the WMR sets, has better tracking, better controllers, etc.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So in the 3 hours I've owned the Quest I'm more impressed with it than my old Vive. If I didn't have work tonight I'd likely be playing games all day.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

So despite never receiving any emails from Best Buy, and never managing to get through to support, my Rift S was there waiting for me this morning.

Luckily something came up today that gave me the day off work, so I'll pay some impressions later. I'll be deciding whether or not to keep this or stick with the original Rift.

I've owned every version of the Rift back to the DK1, and it feels kinda weird and wrong to actually get it on launch day instead of spending months hoping I make it into the next batch of shipments.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Walked into my local Best Buy and walked out with a Quest. Something hit me while on the way home. I’m going to be forced to create a Facebook account, aren’t I?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

jabro posted:

Walked into my local Best Buy and walked out with a Quest. Something hit me while on the way home. I’m going to be forced to create a Facebook account, aren’t I?

I have an oculus store account on PC and no facebook account. I would hope you can just make a store account again on the quest.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jabro posted:

No, you can create a standard Oculus account and use that. You don't need to link it to Facebook.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip, if you're waiting on lens protectors for your Quest, or are otherwise worried about glasses scratching the lenses or anything, you can leave the factory film on. The factory film has print on it that says "don't leave in sunlight / don't use liquid cleaners", but when I put the headset on I can't see the text or any blur from it at all. Funny how that works.

jabro posted:

No, surprisingly. You can sign up for an Oculus account without having a Facebook account. You can just make a fake Gmail (make sure you always have access to it, obviously) and register the Oculus account to that.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 21, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well thank goodness for that, I've spent a long time avoiding facebook (as impossible as that often is...)

Any Rift S first impressions? I'm chomping at the bit here

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Awesome. Thanks, everyone.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Don't worry you already have a facebook account!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I have bought beat saber on the quest, and it's not cross buy. For my S, should I buy beat saber from the oculus store or another store? I'd really like access to community songs. Can you do that if you buy it from the oculus store?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ciaphas posted:

Well thank goodness for that, I've spent a long time avoiding facebook (as impossible as that often is...)

Any Rift S first impressions? I'm chomping at the bit here

I unplugged my old Rift and sensors, plugged in the Rift S, woke my computer up, and nothing. Nothing happened.

I looked in devices and it seemed to recognize one of my controllers and nothing else. I tried to update the Oculus software and it said I was up to date. So I closed the Oculus software, restarted it, and went to full setup, and it told me to plug in my headset and sensors. :argh:

So, I decided to try rebooting. On my shutdown menu it had "restart" and "restart and update", I picked restart and it immediately started updating Windows. :bang:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can personally confirm Thumper has cross-buy, but Virtual Desktop does not.

I assume these days Big Screen can do everything Virtual Desktop can do, about as competently?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Ok, cool, then you'd just need a lighting -> DP adapter. As far as the controllers, yeah, they really are that much better. It doesn't seem like microsoft bothered to do any ergonomic testing when making them, as opposed to the touch controllers that really just fit right into your hand, with the added buttons, analog grip, and capacitive touch sensors to do your points and thumbs up and some basic hand movements. Having the 5 cameras also gives it a range of tracking coverage thats basically complete unless your hands are behind your back, or your covering one of the controllers with your arm or something.

If you are in the US, best buy should have displays of the quest and rift-s, and you can check out the controllers. I just would have a hard time recommending WMR anymore to people unless they're on a VERY limited budget and a WMR set for $170 on sale is available, or they're a dedicated simmer whos not really going to be playing a ton of general VR games (in which case the reverb's resolution is unmatched). Outside of that, now the rift s is even easier to setup than the WMR sets, has better tracking, better controllers, etc.

Awesome, I think I'm going to Bestbuy today to try it out and pick one up.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kilazar posted:

So I have bought beat saber on the quest, and it's not cross buy. For my S, should I buy beat saber from the oculus store or another store? I'd really like access to community songs. Can you do that if you buy it from the oculus store?

Yes, but every update breaks mods for a while and as far as I know the Oculus store has no way to roll back to earlier versions so you might be stuck without user songs for a few days a month or so. OTOH I believe they have promised cross-buy for the DLC, so in the unlikely event that any of their DLC songs seem at all interesting to you that might be an argument for buying it on Oculus.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Best buy had the 64GB in stock when I went to pick my 128GB up this morning so I downgraded to save the $100. They also have a good return policy so you could buy one and return it next week to get a better feel for it. That way you can log in with RecRoom, VRChat, Netflix etc (just make sure to reset it to factory before returning it)

Doesn't look like they have Oculus Venues or Rooms on it yet, thats kinda a bummer. Those are good for showing off the facebook social stuff which is actually kinda fun.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I’m a bit confused. I bought the rift s which I’m getting tomorrow, so decided to buy lone echo before so I could download it in time for getting my riff (I have a slow connection). But when I bought it on the oculus store it just says purchased with no ability to download.

Does oculus have a its own separate launch system for games? And I need to use that to download the game? If not now do I download the game I purchased?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

theblackw0lf posted:

So I’m a bit confused. I bought the rift s which I’m getting tomorrow, so decided to buy lone echo before so I could download it in time for getting my riff (I have a slow connection). But when I bought it on the oculus store it just says purchased with no ability to download.

Does oculus have a its own separate launch system for games? And I need to use that to download the game? If not now do I download the game I purchased?

There's a launcher for the PC

https://www.oculus.com/setup/

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Using the Oculus app on Bluestacks just crashes over and over. Tried Leapdroid and the app doesn't show up on the store. Looking like I bought a $400 paperweight I'll have to send back.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man I kinda want to upgrade from the Rift to Rift S to get rid of the cables but I have no idea what I’d do with the old Rift.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Using the Oculus app on Bluestacks just crashes over and over. Tried Leapdroid and the app doesn't show up on the store. Looking like I bought a $400 paperweight I'll have to send back.

Try memu?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
For the quest people, is there a way to plug in a USB drive for media stuff? Can you use a usbc to A adapter?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man I kinda want to upgrade from the Rift to Rift S to get rid of the cables but I have no idea what I’d do with the old Rift.

Sell it or give it to family/friend?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, the system software, management, setup software is all part of the library and store program. You have to install the software for it to function at all.

Edit: that said, if you don't want the service running when you're done, there's a handy program called oculus tray tool, which among a bunch of handy tweaks, can be set to stop the service when you close the oculus software. You'll still have to manually launch it again though before using it, as opposed to the default where as soon as you put on the headset is always ready.

Settings and roundabouts.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 21, 2019

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ClassH posted:

Try memu?

It's doing the same thing as Bluestacks, tries to open and immediate crashes/closes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

katkillad2 posted:

It's doing the same thing as Bluestacks, tries to open and immediate crashes/closes.

Nox?

Edit: reading into it quick, looks like the emulators don't support Blu tooth, and that's the sticking point with the app.

That sucks. No old tablet or iPad?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 21, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I got the Quest because why not. First impressions:

Holy crap the Fresnel lenses are extremely obvious just from looking at them, much moreso than on the Rift. It also leads to "god rays" with bright objects in a dark environment that are kind of rounded instead of straight rays like on the Rift.

Why does it include an extra face plate? Charging cable seems good, and I'd prefer there to be a power brick instead

lol this phone pairing poo poo is real dumb, just get stuff working in the headset please, like it made me type in my wifi password multiple times anyway, because apparently revealing the password and then not unrevealing it makes the password incorrect

The controllers are notably worse than the Touch. The strap is much better than the braided one on the Touch, and the buttons are rearranged a bit since the thumb area is narrower, but the trigger is just slightly off and the controllers feel a little...fat? Maybe I'll get used to it. The tracking ring being flipped up doesn't appear to change anything. The spring in the battery compartment is incredibly tiny so we'll see how that works for Beat Saber.

The Quest is insanely easy to use with glasses.

I might be allergic to something on the foam? Or maybe it's just pollen.

Man this looks fantastic. Played through the new tutorial and I am now living in the goddamn future. Metroid Prime Trilogy Quest when, Nintendo?

Tracking is good, setup is easy once in the headset, easy guardian boundaries setup.

Welp downloading Robo Recall, I'll try it outside in three or four hours.

Nalin posted:

Well, one big flaw I've seen so far with the Oculus Quest is that it doesn't give you a numeric IPD display while adjusting the slider. That means you just gotta fiddle with it and see if you get eye strain and/or a headache before you go fiddle with it some more. Oh, and as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any way to go back to the IPD adjust screen with the green bars.

If my IPD is wrong, my eyes hurt and I get a headache, so this is going to be a painful session of trial and error for me.

Agree with all of this, and presumably that's something they can and should add to the software.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well if anyone else was curious, I can confirm you can definitely play Rift + Quest at same time on same account. I was just playing Beat Saber on Rift while my wife was playing Beat Saber on the Quest, same account no issues whatsoever. Pretty stoked about that.

Also, HOLY poo poo THE QUEST loving RULES

Hellsau posted:

Metroid Prime Trilogy Quest when, Nintendo?

Oh god, I loving wish.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hellsau posted:

Man this looks fantastic. Played through the new tutorial and I am now living in the goddamn future. Metroid Prime Trilogy Quest when, Nintendo?

I think the exciting thing is poo poo like like that, GTA3, or any of that, ran on like 300mhz cpus with 32mb of ram and stuff. If the Quest really takes off, theres 0 technical reason you couldn't be sitting in the boat in wind waker sailing around on a huge adventure. I mean, obviously nintendo never would but just I mean similar games in scope that would still look great.

Theres no reason Quest needs to be defined by "mobile" level games like angry birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Enos Cabell posted:

Well if anyone else was curious, I can confirm you can definitely play Rift + Quest at same time on same account. I was just playing Beat Saber on Rift while my wife was playing Beat Saber on the Quest, same account no issues whatsoever. Pretty stoked about that.

Please test it with a multiplayer game, both of you playing together. If I could share purchases and coop on them I might have to buy my dad a Quest at some point.