Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pulp fiction, phrase not film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

freeedr posted:

Sorry for the aside. I don’t know what pulpy means in regards to literature and I would like to. Most of the google results just use it without a clarifying context

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pulpy is kind of like airport fiction. It is cheap trash that is written to be fun or eye catching but not deep. It comes from the cheap paper the magazines or books used to be printed on.

Pulpy does not necessarily mean bad, but it tends to be low class. And a lot of it is trash.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Manhunter owns and Tom Noonan is the definitive Francis Dolarhyde.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Would you consider modern reality TV pulp tv?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Blast Fantasto posted:

Manhunter owns and Tom Noonan is the definitive Francis Dolarhyde.

Noonan is a delight in almost anything he does, but I really appreciate Brian Cox's idea of Hannibal Lector/Lecktor as being a low key genius who also happened to think one day that eating people was probably a good idea, as opposed to Hopkins' portrayal which is just the devil made flesh.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Thanks, all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Noonan is a delight in almost anything he does, but I really appreciate Brian Cox's idea of Hannibal Lector/Lecktor as being a low key genius who also happened to think one day that eating people was probably a good idea, as opposed to Hopkins' portrayal which is just the devil made flesh.

The latter is the book hannibal though tbf. Mads is my personal favourite but all three are good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I never read any of them. I'm not knocking Hopkins at all, there's a reason that performance is so iconic, but with it being that iconic it's refreshing to see such a wildly different approach to the character.

I'll stan for Manhunter any day of the week. It's a tense and beautiful movie and it's different enough from the version of that universe you're familiar with to really stand apart, but Demme's understanding of the language of film really blows Mann away in just about every way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea it's true that Silence of the Lambs delivers more memorable cinematic moments(Clarice's first trip to see Lecter, Lecter's escape, the genius editing of Clarice knocking on Buffalo Bill's front door, the finale in the basement) but I think Mann's visual style makes Manhunter just as enjoyable overall.

Especially comparing Manhunter to Red Dragon though, Mann proves in that comparison why having a director with legit talent is so important. Red Dragon has so much going for it with the material from the novel + a great cast and Ratner flushes all that down the toilet with his rote, boring direction.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tom Noonan should have been in more over the years. He's one of the few things keeping Robocop 2 from being unbearable. poo poo, even his five minute scene with DeNiro in Heat is wonderful.

EDIT: I almost fell asleep in the theater watching Red Dragon. It was somehow one of the most boring movies I've ever seen, and it has Philip Seymour Hoffman rolling down the street in a wheelchair on fire for gently caress's sake. For all it's faults, at least Hannibal is fun to watch and actually has a style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Feinnes gives his all in Red Dragon and I like that he definitely brings something different to the role than Noonan did(and is probably closer to the book version of Dollarhyde), but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. Although it's a good enough performance that it's probably worth watching the movie once just for that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd have to watch a supercut of his performance in Red Dragon. I also somehow completely forgot that it came out just one year after Hannibal. I could've sworn there was a three to four year gap between the two

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can believe Cox's Lecktor went unsuspected for years. I don't think anyone could spend five minutes in a room with Hopkins' Lecter without thinking "Holy poo poo, this guy is hosed up and I need to be away from him right loving now." I think that portrayal worked better in Hannibal than in Silence of the Lambs because Hannibal really leant into the camp (for want of a better word) of this genius eating people he thought were rude.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked Richard Armitage as the Tooth Fairy. Tbh the show was my first experience of those characters so those interpretations are all my favourite.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

I can believe Cox's Lecktor went unsuspected for years. I don't think anyone could spend five minutes in a room with Hopkins' Lecter without thinking "Holy poo poo, this guy is hosed up and I need to be away from him right loving now." I think that portrayal worked better in Hannibal than in Silence of the Lambs because Hannibal really leant into the camp (for want of a better word) of this genius eating people he thought were rude.

Tbf the Hopkins portrayals are Lecter post capture where he didn't have to keep up the facade. The scene at the end of the Hannibal film on the plane is a good example that Hopkins could have played a pre-capture Hannibal quite well.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Wafer posted:

For a pretty boy, Tom Cruise plays a lot of risky and unflattering roles. He may be weird IRL but it’s tough to fault his work ethic.

I've been watching a lot of old Siskel & Ebert videos on Youtube, and a fair number included Tom Cruise movies. Both of them really gushed over a lot of his roles from that era. Born on the Fourth of July, Rainman, A Few Good Men, and Jerry Maguire are the ones that I can think of right off the top of my head. Even their review of Interview With a Vampire said that they got used to him in the role really quick.

Like you said, say what you will about his personal life, but I really love seeing him in the Mission: Impossible movies.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Tbf the Hopkins portrayals are Lecter post capture where he didn't have to keep up the facade. The scene at the end of the Hannibal film on the plane is a good example that Hopkins could have played a pre-capture Hannibal quite well.

Eh, he's supposed to be trying to seem normal in the makeshift prison before he escapes and while working at the Italian museum. I'll agree that the scene on the plane is good, I just think most of Hopkins' performance was camp almost panto villain. I still really enjoy Hannibal (the movie), just wish we could have got a film that had more of Brian Cox in the role.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunswipe posted:

I just think most of Hopkins' performance was camp almost panto villain.

He was playing mind games with Clarice, he'd calculated all of those mannerisms fairly carefully. Glimpses of the real Lecter showed through when she figured things out and actually said something clever or interesting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Eh, he's supposed to be trying to seem normal in the makeshift prison before he escapes and while working at the Italian museum. I'll agree that the scene on the plane is good, I just think most of Hopkins' performance was camp almost panto villain. I still really enjoy Hannibal (the movie), just wish we could have got a film that had more of Brian Cox in the role.

We can agree there for sure! I read the book for the first tiem recently enough and I was surprised how little Lecter is in RD.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cleretic posted:

The other was A Clockwork Orange, and the author of that only agreed years later that the movie had a better ending.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true actually. It's possible he changed his mind though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In Italy you can see how Lecter is able to blend in, he knows his people. Arrogant, entitled, elitist people do not clue in at all to what Lecter is because they are basically exactly like him except they don't kill and eat people. He ran in the same kind of crowds before his capture too.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

torgeaux posted:

Having read the book before the movie, I can see King's point. The wife is a strong, intelligent character turned into the most annoying nothing. Anyone with her as a wife would have gone on a killing spree long before that, and the thought of being trapped over a winter with her as the only adult conversation is the truly terrifying part of the movie.

That’s cool you have your own opinion, but I love Shelley Duvall, and also am not a murderer.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Olaf The Stout posted:

That’s cool you have your own opinion, but I love Shelley Duvall, and also am not a murderer.

That's precisely what a Shelley Duvall-loving murderer would say to sidestep suspicion.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, I didn't like Manhunter at all and don't understand all the love it gets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true actually. It's possible he changed his mind though

It absolutely isn't true. Burgess felt that the omission of the final chapter completely changed the theme of the story and his friendship with Kubrick ended over it.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I didn't like Manhunter at all and don't understand all the love it gets.

It's really just an R-rated episode of Miami Vice. But I did appreciate the acting in it when I first watched it. Brian Cox was a good Hannibal too.

Years later, there was a CSI episode with a Manhunter reunion between William Petersen and Tom Noonan.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jedit posted:

It absolutely isn't true. Burgess felt that the omission of the final chapter completely changed the theme of the story and his friendship with Kubrick ended over it.

I'd heard that the final chapter was omitted in American versions of the book and would have been included in the movie otherwise.

Why does literally every story about Kubrick have multiple versions?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kubrick leaked them himself to keep people talking about him

You really think "Kubrick was such an amazing director that the government paid him millions to fake the moon landing" came out of thin air?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kubrick absolutely faked the moon landing but the technology wasn't there in the 60s to make it look realistic so the government flew him and his crew to the moon to fake it there

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I think the cruelest rumor is that Kubrick had anything to do with Eyes Wide Shut.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Really? I think Eyes Wide Shut feels very Kubrick. Helps a lot that it's filmed almost entirely on sets instead of on location.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was meant to be a dunk except Eyes Wide Shut actually owns

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it was meant to be a dunk except Eyes Wide Shut actually owns

I thought it was a dull and forgettable end to an otherwise fruitful career, but different strokes. It also doesn't help that I despise Tom Cruise.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like Eyes Wide Shut but I think part of it was the real-world dissolving of Tom & Nicole's marriage influencing their on-screen performance.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Manhunter is great but Red Dragon just slid off my brain to the point that I was actually surprised every time I read a post naming a member of the cast. Completely stopped wondering how such a good cast turned in such a bland film once I saw Brett Ratner's name though. :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked Tom Noonan in Eight Legged Freaks.

He's one of those "Hey, it's that guy!" actors for me, like Giovanni Ribisi (I think I spelled that right).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think I'd love Manhunter more if it didn't have the worst "blue tint night" in film history. I hate that poo poo in general and it's especially bad in that movie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

torgeaux posted:

Having read the book before the movie, I can see King's point. The wife is a strong, intelligent character turned into the most annoying nothing. Anyone with her as a wife would have gone on a killing spree long before that, and the thought of being trapped over a winter with her as the only adult conversation is the truly terrifying part of the movie.

I dunno; for all of Duvall's playing of Wendy's 'weakness' and 'annoyingness', she was strong enough to overpower Jack, not be influenced by the hotel until the very end, and was able to think fast enough on her feet to get herself and Danny out of there. To be sure, she wasn't as steely as Ripley, she was scared as all hell, but she was still able to do the right and brave thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

In Italy you can see how Lecter is able to blend in, he knows his people. Arrogant, entitled, elitist people do not clue in at all to what Lecter is because they are basically exactly like him except they don't kill and eat people. He ran in the same kind of crowds before his capture too.

Now I'm picturing Hannibal getting along splendidly with Frasier.

Iirc King has a mixed relationship with adaptations, makes sense since there's been so many of them. With The Mist his reaction was basically 'why didn't I think of that?'