Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would say frontline has a huge variety from my experience. Rapiers, short spears, shields, longbows, crossbows, mauls, spears, halberds, the different two hand swords, and engineer builds w/ toolboxes are all very commonly used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Honestly 4 or 5 players who are even just decent with shield and shortspear can conquer frontlines vs. executioner swinging idiots

If you have four or five decent players you have already won frontline it doesn’t matter what they’re doing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Comrayn posted:

If you have four or five decent players you have already won frontline it doesn’t matter what they’re doing.

Lmao really hard to argue with this.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Parachute posted:

what are your good rear end peasant loadouts? last night i just went with the 2h scythe and rock/frying pan + a random perks i can't remember r/n and ended up braining more people with the frying pan than i expected in frontline

Against other peasants scythe is OP but against armour you probably want sledgehammer or pickaxe

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Comrayn posted:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I wanna get a crew together and try having a spearwall with shortspear/shields in the front rank and regular Spears in the back. On a lot of maps you could cover entire lanes pretty effectively this way I think?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It'd work fine until someone realizes what you're doing and dumps firepots on you all. So most of the rounds.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

kidkissinger posted:

I wanna get a crew together and try having a spearwall with shortspear/shields in the front rank and regular Spears in the back. On a lot of maps you could cover entire lanes pretty effectively this way I think?

Until a firebombs or catapult sure. But if you could get everyone to hold at spawn until the unit is together that would be cool. But the game doesn't have the infrastructure to join in as a team.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rynoto posted:

It'd work fine until someone realizes what you're doing and dumps firepots on you all. So most of the rounds.

i've been taking fireproof on pretty much all of my builds since firepot spam is so common right now.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure the game times respawns to batch people together, which is why you're always popping back into spawn with multiple teammates at once and enemy reinforcements almost always come in groups. That's not really a complete solution though.

That said the shield portion of the shield wall seems almost pointless in this game the way parrying works. The enemy team needs to be even more coordinated than you do to mount a targeted melee + ranged offensive against which having a wall of continual blockers is useful.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Glenn Quebec posted:

Until a firebombs or catapult sure. But if you could get everyone to hold at spawn until the unit is together that would be cool. But the game doesn't have the infrastructure to join in as a team.

It sucks. Its pretty hard to get 8-10 people on the same team on Frontline

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ristolaz posted:

It sucks. Its pretty hard to get 8-10 people on the same team on Frontline

It's really dumb and one of the things it needs help in regards to. Also clan support. There should be clan specific stuff you can unlock together not dissimilar to Div 2.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So apparently numpad 1 is also a suicide key in addition to End.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yesterday for some reason i couldn't get the little identifier icons that appear over your teammates to show up in game. i even rebound the key (H) to something else and restarted the game but it still wasn't working at all so I had to switch back to the colored uniforms until it gets fixed. anybody else having this issue?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Gobblecoque posted:

So apparently numpad 1 is also a suicide key in addition to End.

If numberlock isn't on, the numpad 1 is an End key.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
When you stop caring about scores, the game becomes 10 times more fun.

It's hilarious wading in a huge 8v8 fight with a shield and short spear and just concentrate on getting in the way of as many enemy attacks as possible and poking feet. It seems to throw people off so bad. Then when they start focusing and collapsing their own line to kill you, it causes a chain reaction that wins the engagement for your team.

Also looking for teammates who are outnumbered and just shoving a shield in their enemies's faces to gain some time. Gives your friend a breather and allows more friendlies to potentially back you up.

A lot of these huge 15vs15 melees are one person short of collapsing one way or the other so playing like this can be a huge boost to your team.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Cyberdud posted:

When you stop caring about scores, the game becomes 10 times more fun.

It's hilarious wading in a huge 8v8 fight with a shield and short spear and just concentrate on getting in the way of as many enemy attacks as possible and poking feet. It seems to throw people off so bad. Then when they start focusing and collapsing their own line to kill you, it causes a chain reaction that wins the engagement for your team.

Also looking for teammates who are outnumbered and just shoving a shield in their enemies's faces to gain some time. Gives your friend a breather and allows more friendlies to potentially back you up.

A lot of these huge 15vs15 melees are one person short of collapsing one way or the other so playing like this can be a huge boost to your team.
Watching people's play styles change since launch has been so weird. In the beginning I did this, to tremendous effect as everyone just crazily swung zweihanders and greatswords, then as people started using more weapons I transitioned to greataxe, longspear and halbderd, but now it seems like an overwhelming majority use zweihanders, greatswords and executioners with a few other long weapons thrown in and almost NO shields, making shields+spears or shields+messers highly effective again if you do this. People constantly try to kick shields too, because of other people who just constantly block, giving you an opening to hit them first.

As much as I love the waraxe, most people have gotten good enough at parrying that I can't take apart while groups anymore and I am losing duels sometimes. Any suggestions? Feints don't seem reliable because half the time people just swing wildly and don't even try to block. What do you do with a greataxe if half the players are good at parrying and the other half swing wildly whatever it is you do? The one thing I've been having success with, which is absurd, is turning my back, hoping they swing wildly and then parrying into an accelerated swing at their side and I have been having a lot of success with it, but often they don't take the bait.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I recommend practicing with goons on the goon server. All weapons are viable.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

But I like 64 man servers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a time goons are often playing on the goon server? Haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like lately, but when I check its been empty.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Sometimes you need to be able to diagnose your opponent's skill level and then act on it ASAP. There's no one size fits all tactic against everyone you'll come across. In Frontline it's harder since you have so little time before someone crashes in on your duel. Your process might go something like:

1. Test if they can parry a normal riposte
2. Test if they can parry a morph or a long drag
3. Go for a harder mixup like a chamber into feint or morph

By the time you get to 3 you should be pretty confident they aren't going to randomly stuff you in the face. Sometimes you don't have time for any of this and aggressive footsies will be faster and more reliable instead.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

eonwe posted:

Is there a time goons are often playing on the goon server? Haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like lately, but when I check its been empty.

Hop into the discord. Usually 4 or 5 of us are game for duels.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Parachute posted:

yesterday for some reason i couldn't get the little identifier icons that appear over your teammates to show up in game. i even rebound the key (H) to something else and restarted the game but it still wasn't working at all so I had to switch back to the colored uniforms until it gets fixed. anybody else having this issue?

Yes I had a similar issue to this although it seemed to fix itself during the course of the round. It must be a bug.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

Wait you guys can still play? I, and everyone I know, have been getting ridiculous packet loss since the last patch. Makes the game pretty much unplayable, and also seems to have turned it into a field day for 3/3/3 Executioner people. Just a human wave of guys walking forward, windmilling their big choppy swords, safe in the knowledge they're impossible to parry in such a herky-jerky environment.

I am that horrible packet loss/latency spike player, and I've mostly resigned myself to archery, engineering and gimmicks until it gets fixed. It will get fixed, right? :smith:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Remember to turn off your VPN if you use one. Every time I get ping/packet loss warnings it's because I forgot.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Are servers down? Neither I or my friend across town (Denver), can queue for or join games with eachother at all.

Oddly we could join one single Duel server together ...

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

TheAardvark posted:

Are servers down? Neither I or my friend across town (Denver), can queue for or join games with eachother at all.

Oddly we could join one single Duel server together ...

Official ones it seems like but I could still join things through server browser

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The unofficial ones seem to have bad lag spikes or swings. Up until today everything’s been fine but I think I mostly play official servers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of performance issues, I've finally nailed down why I had common frame-drops in various maps despite playing on a pretty beefy machine: It was windowed/borderless mode all along. Unlike many other games, performance in windowed/borderless was way worse than in fullscreen, and switching over to fullscreen fixed pretty much all of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been loving with longsword, greatsword, zweihander, and Bastard Sword (2-h mode) and I regret it. There's just no reason to bring anything but Executioner's sword in my opinion if you like a big 2-h sword. The ability to basically always kill dudes in 1-2 shots is extremely my poo poo.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of performance issues, I've finally nailed down why I had common frame-drops in various maps despite playing on a pretty beefy machine: It was windowed/borderless mode all along. Unlike many other games, performance in windowed/borderless was way worse than in fullscreen, and switching over to fullscreen fixed pretty much all of it.

Ooh. My potato gets 15-30 FPS at the moment (in borderless windowed) so I'll try this.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

jokes posted:

I've been loving with longsword, greatsword, zweihander, and Bastard Sword (2-h mode) and I regret it. There's just no reason to bring anything but Executioner's sword in my opinion if you like a big 2-h sword. The ability to basically always kill dudes in 1-2 shots is extremely my poo poo.

IMO the executioner sword is going to become a noob trap when the average player skill gets high enough and people stop taking any of its stabs seriously. When it becomes safe to assume that an exec sword will feint or morph any stab because the consequence of eating one is so low, then whoops half the mixup game is gone.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Whenever I stab with an axe or executioner's sword good players will rarely block it, but you can just combo stabs and rack up damage really quick just thunking them in the face repeatedly. The funnier option is that if they stop blocking your stabs, you can roll up and just start kicking the poo poo out of them to drain all their stamina and when they try to block in earnest you just disarm them and THEN swing on them.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I stab with the executioner cause it MESS FOLKS UP. Mind games. Non-linear tactics.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

jokes posted:

The executioner's sword does have a pretty significant downside in that it can't combo. Of course, if the only thing you're looking for is number of hits to kill then the maul is unbeatable.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Arming sword 3/3/3 + bloodlust I swear by it. You can always pick up another weapon on the battlefield. Not that you need to.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

timn posted:

IMO the executioner sword is going to become a noob trap when the average player skill gets high enough and people stop taking any of its stabs seriously. When it becomes safe to assume that an exec sword will feint or morph any stab because the consequence of eating one is so low, then whoops half the mixup game is gone.

you just gotta do a few stabs at the start so they think its a thing you do

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A couple of stabs at the start means it is a thing that you're doing and being predictable with. All else equal you're still at a disadvantage because either you aren't stabbing and being more predictable or you are stabbing and getting poorer returns on average compared to a more well rounded weapon.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Glenn Quebec posted:

Arming sword 3/3/3 + bloodlust I swear by it. You can always pick up another weapon on the battlefield. Not that you need to.

I also swear by this build.

Also my weird 3/1/1 bloodlust, second wind, rapier build. Second wind helps make up for the bad stamina game of that sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

timn posted:

They'll just move to third person and swing while moving in figures of eight, just because it's so ridiculously effective.