Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Sri.Theo posted:

Can I ask?

He lives in a secret hatch on an island and has to push a button to prevent the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sudo rm -rf posted:

y'all i'm going nuts

i'm just trying to get a notification to pop up on my phone every 18 hours and 30 minutes. all repeating events in both ios calendar and google calendar won't do anything more often than daily, and don't let me do a custom event that reoccurs more than once every 24 hours.

someone save me. this shouldn't be that hard.

You can do that with Microsoft Flow. It's like IFTTT but way better.

The "mobile notification" notification part requires the Microsoft Flow app on your device to get them, but you can literally use anything you want in its place as long as the service provides a REST API. Wanna "catch" your notifications in Slack, Discord, Pushover, IFTTT? That's all fine. If you're in the US I think they can also send text messages. You can also connect it to Google Calendars or Outlook Calendars or whatever and have it automatically schedule an event for you and so on. Since this thing runs on a server that means that your phone doesn't need to be on for it to "work" though if it's off you won't get the notifications (obviously).

Edit: Hell you could have it send notifications to all of those apps or create complex logic for where to push the notification to depending on the time of day and/or the weather in Nantucket.

Aggro posted:

He lives in a secret hatch on an island and has to push a button to prevent the apocalypse.

WE HAVE TO GO BACK

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 16, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aggro posted:

Enough time has passed that this is a pretty deep cut right here.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Sri.Theo posted:

Can I ask?

sure, it's kind of lame though

https://wow.gameinfo.io/legion-invasions

i'm just trying to get an easy way to be notified when these start in world of warcraft

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can do that with Microsoft Flow. It's like IFTTT but way better.

The "mobile notification" notification part requires the Microsoft Flow app on your device to get them, but you can literally use anything you want in its place as long as the service provides a REST API. Wanna "catch" your notifications in Slack, Discord, Pushover, IFTTT? That's all fine. If you're in the US I think they can also send text messages. You can also connect it to Google Calendars or Outlook Calendars or whatever and have it automatically schedule an event for you and so on. Since this thing runs on a server that means that your phone doesn't need to be on for it to "work" though if it's off you won't get the notifications (obviously).

Edit: Hell you could have it send notifications to all of those apps or create complex logic for where to push the notification to depending on the time of day and/or the weather in Nantucket.

WE HAVE TO GO BACK

this is extremely loving cool, i'm going mess around with this.

thanks man!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh shiiii I didn’t realize Flow had an iOS app, sweet!!

Definitely gonna replace my IFTTT

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oh cool!

Do you have to be using an MFi gamepad for it to work or are there options for virtual game pads on the screen? Not sure I fancy buying another expensive controller just to try it out!

There are several different control options using the screen only. If you have a Steam controller you can also use that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

There are several different control options using the screen only. If you have a Steam controller you can also use that.

How does the steam controller work? Is it mifi or does the Apple TV just work with it? I thought all the Apple controllers had to be mifi?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

How does the steam controller work? Is it mifi or does the Apple TV just work with it? I thought all the Apple controllers had to be mifi?

Steam controller is Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure only the Steam Link app can use it. I'm sure the app could probably use a PS4 or XBone controller if they programmed it to, but it appears they didn't.

I'm currently in the middle of home renovations right now, but when I find the box I shoved my old Steam Controller into I'll test it out. I have a feeling it will show up as a generic HID like a keyboard or something. My Nimbus I believe is actually recognized by iOS as a game controller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Steam controller is Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure only the Steam Link app can use it. I'm sure the app could probably use a PS4 or XBone controller if they programmed it to, but it appears they didn't.

I'm currently in the middle of home renovations right now, but when I find the box I shoved my old Steam Controller into I'll test it out. I have a feeling it will show up as a generic HID like a keyboard or something. My Nimbus I believe is actually recognized by iOS as a game controller.

Interesting! You’d probably have to pair it to either the Apple TV or the phone / iPad right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Interesting! You’d probably have to pair it to either the Apple TV or the phone / iPad right?

I'm just speculating. I could be completely wrong, but I won't know until I get my new flooring put in and new furniture in place. Then I unpack all the boxes I just chucked poo poo into so I can test it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone use the sleep app Pillow? It seems to be one of the only Apple Watch apps that actually uses the accelerometer (Sleep Cycle for instance requires the phone by your bed and watch support is simply stop and snooze).

Anyways, the "smart wake-up" feature has never once worked for me. It wakes me up at the exact time I set my alarm. All settings seem correct, ideas?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a journaling app other than Day One? I'm using the free trial right now but my main criticism is that the whole app feels slow and clunky and bloated.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

Anyone use the sleep app Pillow? It seems to be one of the only Apple Watch apps that actually uses the accelerometer (Sleep Cycle for instance requires the phone by your bed and watch support is simply stop and snooze).

Anyways, the "smart wake-up" feature has never once worked for me. It wakes me up at the exact time I set my alarm. All settings seem correct, ideas?

I use it but just for sleep tracking. The one time I did use the smart wake it seemed to work as intended and rang about 15 minutes before my alarm time. Maybe you’re just dead asleep before it rings?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

I use it but just for sleep tracking. The one time I did use the smart wake it seemed to work as intended and rang about 15 minutes before my alarm time. Maybe you’re just dead asleep before it rings?

Haha, you know looking at my sleep tracking it seems like I am usually pretty down there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fly Ricky posted:

Did you follow all this at Pillow's support site? https://pillow.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1840792-my-alarm-did-not-go-off

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yeah. Interestingly enough, it woke me at 6:58am today, a full two-minutes before schedule. Guess it's working fine I just sleep like a rock early mornings.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is there an iOS equivalent of Vysor? Something that mirrors the devices screen plus allows for a user to control the device from the computer? Everything I've looked at appears to just be screen mirroring only.

Or is this something that can not be done on iOS?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

.Z. posted:

Is there an iOS equivalent of Vysor? Something that mirrors the devices screen plus allows for a user to control the device from the computer? Everything I've looked at appears to just be screen mirroring only.

Or is this something that can not be done on iOS?

I haven't used it/know if it's what you need, but maybe Duet Display?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Duet is the other way around (it lets you use the ipad as a secondary display)

anthonyz
Apr 15, 2006

kugutsumen will return
I am pleased to announce that the public beta release of Felicitas is now available.

Felicitas is a location aware app for iPhone that lets you discover interesting people around you.

The initial data set focuses on people from the creative industries, starting with fashion and slowly expanding to film, music, art, and sport.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I’ve been using Pocket to bookmark interesting poo poo for years. I’m noticing that I would like to permanently archive my saved content, which is a premium/subscription only feature. Sadly, the Pocket subscription is quite expensive... Should I bite the bullet or is there something better out there?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Wengy posted:

I’ve been using Pocket to bookmark interesting poo poo for years. I’m noticing that I would like to permanently archive my saved content, which is a premium/subscription only feature. Sadly, the Pocket subscription is quite expensive... Should I bite the bullet or is there something better out there?

Instapaper might do this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Instapaper might do this.

I think Pinboard does as well. Both are paid services (Instapaper is free to use, sans article saving) but are cheaper than Pocket last time I checked. Pinboard is pretty ugly though and there doesn’t seem to be any good apps for it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think Pinboard does as well. Both are paid services (Instapaper is free to use, sans article saving) but are cheaper than Pocket last time I checked. Pinboard is pretty ugly though and there doesn’t seem to be any good apps for it.

Or Notion, which has become my Evernote and Pocket replacement.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Notion is actually really solid. I just wish their iOS app wasn't so electron-web-appy and weird.

Pocket also went on sale last Black Friday, I think. I have a subscription that costs $18/yr

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

maduin posted:

Notion is actually really solid. I just wish their iOS app wasn't so electron-web-appy and weird.

Pocket also went on sale last Black Friday, I think. I have a subscription that costs $18/yr

I think Notion had some kind of sale on as well, I wound up paying $33 for the year. That's money well spent.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

XBenedict posted:

Or Notion, which has become my Evernote and Pocket replacement.

This looks like it could take the place of Bear / Instapaper. Is this worth the switch? Or am I better off with what I've been using for a year plus? I'm curious enough to ask but not enough to actually test. lol

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

virinvictus posted:

This looks like it could take the place of Bear / Instapaper. Is this worth the switch? Or am I better off with what I've been using for a year plus? I'm curious enough to ask but not enough to actually test. lol

I think so. I’ve used Bear too. It’s good for writing, but Notion works much better on the whole. There is a free tier for Notion to test with. I would do some imports and play with it some. My Evernote import took less than 30 seconds, and I had a lot of notes.

If you switch to gallery view, it looks a lot like Pocket for your reading list. This is from the iOS version. The Mac desktop version looks even better.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 11, 2019

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pinner-for-pinboard/id591613202 works for me for pinboard

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pushpin is the one I use.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I love it when an app that I paid for updates into an ad-supported free / subscription app.

Looking at you, Twitterrific.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

I love it when an app that I paid for updates into an ad-supported free / subscription app.

The $2 app you paid for 6 years ago is not sustainable without constant revenue, who knew.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

It’s not that bad

https://support.iconfactory.com/kb/twitterrific/twitterrific-6-purchase-policy

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lazyhound posted:

This is why I never update apps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FCKGW posted:

The $2 app you paid for 6 years ago is not sustainable without constant revenue, who knew.

It’s still a lovely thing to do. It’s slightly less lovely and more understandable if they just release a new app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s still a lovely thing to do. It’s slightly less lovely and more understandable if they just release a new app.

If they did then you’d be complaining about how they are nickel and dimeing you and how lovely it was that you didn’t get an upgrade for free for an app you paid for six years ago.

There’s no winning move here for the devs. No matter what they do someone’s gonna be pissed off.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't mind when devs release a new app I have to pay for, because I can always opt for the new version if I want those features. But I'm not the kind of person who is willing to pay for a subscription to an app (robokiller is my sole exception), and whenever a really good app has a subscription model I get sad because I will never be able to justify that sort of payment model.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

FCKGW posted:

Sure, release it as a new and separate app, then. Shaking down users who’ve already paid for an ad-free app for another $40 is grody as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If they did then you’d be complaining about how they are nickel and dimeing you and how lovely it was that you didn’t get an upgrade for free for an app you paid for six years ago.

There’s no winning move here for the devs. No matter what they do someone’s gonna be pissed off.

Nah, the former is definitely more lovely.