Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

You call that charisma?

Actually that's a real question, I've heard multiple people comment on Trump's "charisma". What?

He is very charming to very stupid racist people

America has about 35%-40% of those, so yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rigel posted:

New poll out in Florida, among registered voters.

Trump 50
Biden 50

Florida has unfortunately gotten quite chuddy; Trump has a +2 approval rating there.

Florida has been 50/50 for twenty years. I don't see how this is a surprise?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump is very good at filling in a void of what people think they want, specifically racists and boomers.

I don't know if that's charisma so much as it is...well, I'm really not sure what I would call it.

In the immediate aftermath of the election some random rear end author of like vampire erotica wrote a loving fantastic writeup of trump and why he was successful. It basically boiled down to he has some innate ability to make his followers think attacks on him are directed at them at large.

So when people made fun of his hideous suits, or his ridiculous hair, or his weird way of talking etc his supporters took it to heart because really THEY were being made fun of.

That may be charisma. On the left we think of a person like Obama who can pull all the various discordant branches of "the left" together as charismatic. Or someone like bernie, to a lesser extent.

On the right, charisma might just be that person who can channel rage. Or he's the person that can funnel generalized disdain or whatever into the individual.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Florida has been 50/50 for twenty years. I don't see how this is a surprise?

Florida has quite a load of racists and oldy oldsons, not to mention Florida Man Not a surprise at all.

Seriously that's the first result I got just from googling "Florida Man" :laugh:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 23, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KickerOfMice posted:

Florida has quite a load of racists and oldy oldsons, not to mention Florida Man Not a surprise at all.

Florida Man is a cruel classist joke

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gatts posted:

AOC put the kibosh on Amazon in NY didn't she? What was the fallout for her on that?

AOC had nothing to do with Amazon pulling out of NYC. She tweeted that she was pleased by the decision and conservatives immediately fell over themselves to blame her for "stealing jobs from New Yorkers".

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1096117499492478977

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

kidkissinger posted:

Florida Man is a cruel classist joke

:confused: It's a joke about the headlines and the language they use, but interpret that anyhow you see fit.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the Democratic side of things, however, you have a much, much wider range of interests that are represented. Depending on the district, a Democratic politician may be relying on securing the vote of, for instance, both suburban mothers who fiercely want gun control and blue-collar workers who just as fiercely don't, so that no matter which side of the issue the Democratic politician comes down on, someone is going to end up disappointed and frustrated that their interests aren't being addressed. And while sometimes a lack of enthusiasm from one section of the base can be made up by exciting another section of the base, this isn't always feasible, especially across different districts with different interests and populations—particularly given the lack of a sympathetic, cooperative, and unifying messaging system akin to Fox or other far-right media outlets.

In other countries with different voting systems, this problem doesn't exist to quite the same degree since a greater number of parties can appeal to more specific interests. In a more organized political system, there's almost no chance that Joe Manchin would be in the same party as AOC—but as it stands, they are, and the Democratic Party has to somehow work inside that framework.

So when you wonder why so many Democrats appear to be centrist losers, I'd argue that a big part of it is that due to the nature of the fractious and expansive Democratic base, many Democratic politicians effectively have to become centrists within their own party just to get nominated, let alone elected in most districts. It primes them to be flexible and willing to compromise, as well as unwilling to take any position too strongly lest it offend a significant portion of their base. (And it doesn't help either that most Democrats have the goal of actually pretending to govern just to give something back to their constituents, and are far more willing to sell out to get their name on something as opposed to taking a principled stand and risk getting nothing).

All of this is to say: American politics are fundamentally broken in the current political and media environment, and we desperately need electoral reform.

The problem with this is, there are things that the vast majority of the Democratic base is calling for, across all demographic lines, and yet the Democratic leadership is not pushing for those things, or allowing progressive representatives to push for them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KickerOfMice posted:

:confused: It's a joke about the headlines and the language they use, but interpret that anyhow you see fit.

You could replace most instances of "Florida Man" with "Person with drug abuse issues" tho

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KickerOfMice posted:

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-75-florida-man

Maybe get some context on what is really behind the "Florida Man" meme.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-75-florida-man

Maybe get some context on what is really behind the "Florida Man" meme.

Will do.

Didn't realize there was something behind it. Forgive.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Confederate Statue At Kentucky Cemetery Defaced With Paint"

"The statue features a Confederate soldier standing above a portrait of Gen. Robert E. Lee. It’s surrounded by 67 Confederate soldier grave markers. A photo of the vandalism shows Lee’s face covered in the paint, which then drips across the statue’s embossed inscriptions."

https://lex18.com/news/2019/05/21/confederate-statue-at-kentucky-cemetery-defaced-with-paint/

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
"'I get to be myself': Utah County commissioner publicly comes out as gay at 40 "

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/lo...1bc167f692.html

Utah.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Yes, I'm sure this was the only "unreported" death. ...or maybe there are mass graves of immigrants out there: https://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-texas-immigrant-graves-20140621-story.html

Their main highway has a border patrol checkpoint just north of the town. That article is from 2014 but I can only imagine poo poo has gotten worse.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because Beer Clubs and Beer Halls have never been the hosts of violent political gangs before.

in my fanfic where I'm god emperor , I ask them what their favorite beer is and if it is the wrong answer they get dealt with.

(any and all answers are wrong because gently caress nazis)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Republican Tennessee House Speaker To Resign After Lewd And Sexist Texts"

"Opposition to his leadership snowballed after texts were leaked to the media in which Casada and his now-former chief of staff, Cade Cothren, traded lewd remarks. Sent in the summer of 2016, the messages show Casada egging on the aide as he bragged about a sexual encounter in a restaurant bathroom, as one example."

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/21/725389031/tenn-republican-to-resign-as-house-speaker-after-lewd-and-sexist-texts

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"'There are consequences for every decision we make as legislators, and for every vote we cast there are ramifications,' Figures said in a release. 'However, some of these effects are unintended and I truly believe this has been the case for SB314. I do not believe my Republican colleagues had any idea what the consequences for passing this bill would be.'"

"''You are playing God, in my opinion, because you’ve already decided what needs to be done,' Figures said to Republican senators last Tuesday. 'You all don’t rule the world. I mean, you may think you do, but you don’t.'”

"Alabama senator files bill to repeal abortion ban"

https://www.al.com/politics/2019/05/alabama-senator-files-bill-to-repeal-abortion-ban.html

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1131366092977451008

"If Trump gets acquitted, it might legitimize this type of conduct, so we should... do absolutely nothing"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

"If Trump gets acquitted, it might legitimize this type of conduct, so we should... do absolutely nothing"

...yyyyyeah, it really seems to me like they aren't considering what type of message doing nothing sends.

Or are purposefully ignoring that line of thinking.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Neus Català, Dogged Anti-Fascist and Camp Survivor, Dies at 103"

""It was just one episode in a lifetime of anti-fascist resistance that Ms. Català, who died on April 13 at 103, would demonstrate.

She then fought with the French Resistance against the Nazis but was captured by the Germans and deported to the Ravensbrück women’s concentration camp in northern Germany.

From Ravensbrück, Ms. Català was transferred to the Flossenbürg camp, where she was part of a forced labor group that quarried granite and sabotaged bullets and bombs while working in a munitions factory.

Long after the war was over, she tracked down other survivors of Ravensbrück, gathered their remembrances and published them in the book 'Resistance and Deportation: 50 Testimonies of Spanish Women' (1984). The European press reported that at her death she had been the last living Spanish survivor of Ravensbrück.

'Neus Català dedicated her whole life to explaining the horror of what must never happen again,' Quim Torra, the president of Catalonia in Spain, said after her death. He said she had been 'a clear voice for freedom and against barbarity.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/obituaries/neus-catala-dead.html

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DaveWoo posted:

Pelosi is absolute garbage. Can't wait for the Pelosi defenders to pop in and tell us this is all part of her Nth dimensional chess strategy and not what she actually thinks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think they're just really THAT worried about the "moderate" dems who they think would be endangered by an impeachment vote.

Either way it's absolutely dereliction of duty and they all deserve to be voted out but I preach to the choir.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Low-Income College Students Are Being Taxed Like Trust-Fund Babies"

"WASHINGTON — A little-noticed provision in President Trump’s sprawling new tax law is treating middle- and low-income college students as if they are trust-fund babies, taxing sizable financial aid packages at a rate first established 33 years ago to prevent wealthy parents from funneling money to their children to lower their tax burdens."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/us/politics/college-scholarships-tax-increases.html

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DaveWoo posted:

1 is nonsense. Not impeaching is what will legitimize the conduct.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump is very good at filling in a void of what people think they want, specifically racists and boomers.

I don't know if that's charisma so much as it is...well, I'm really not sure what I would call it.
Yeah. I got immediately sick of pundits trying to explain him as “charismatic” or “cunning”; he’s a whiny baby who says racist poo poo, which is appreciated by whiny babies who say racist poo poo. He has never been able to appeal outside of that base, or even articulate anything coherent TO that base - which helped during the election, when racist idiots could project whatever they wanted onto his empty statements. It’s the same thing every Conservative darling does, look at Jordan Peterson’s vacuous “philosophy” that only comes to a point when he wants to express Race Realism or :biotruths:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

I think they're just really THAT worried about the "moderate" dems who they think would be endangered by an impeachment vote.

Either way it's absolutely dereliction of duty and they all deserve to be voted out but I preach to the choir.

Nah, they're just cowards - they figure why bother taking the risk of a tough impeachment fight when they can just stall for another year and a half, put the responsibility onto the voters instead, and hope to pick up a few extra House seats by using Trump as a boogeyman to draw more voters to the polling stations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lycus posted:

1 is nonsense. Not impeaching is what will legitimize the conduct.

It's both, because as long as Republican senators are derelict in their duty, the president IS above the law.

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, they're just cowards - they figure why bother taking the risk of a tough impeachment fight when they can just stall for another year and a half, put the responsibility onto the voters instead, and hope to pick up a few extra House seats by using Trump as a boogeyman to draw more voters to the polling stations.
Trump will be that boogeyman regardless

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Impeach the motherfucker.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"'Powder keg' in Dayton: Ohio city braces for KKK rally"

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/444984-powder-keg-in-dayton-ohio-city-braces-for-kkk-rally

"Dayton, Klan group reach agreement over guns, masks"

"The city of Dayton and the Ku Klux Klan-affiliated group it took to court agreed to a consent decree that will allow the Honorable Sacred Knights to mask their faces and carry certain firearms.

The same deal prevents them from bringing assault rifles, bats and shields to Courthouse Square on May 25."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime--law/dayton-klan-group-reach-agreement-over-guns-masks/FXfI36HwAXFfGDAf7CBF8N/

"KKK, New Black Panthers and Antifa Call Rival Rallies in Dayton, Ohio: ‘Potential Danger Will Be High’

https://www.newsweek.com/kkk-new-black-panthers-and-antifa-call-rival-rallies-dayton-ohio-potential-1432479

"Dayton, Ohio, sued a Ku Klux Klan group that wanted to have a rally. Now the rally's going ahead with a court's OK."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-dayton-ohio-ku-klux-klan-rally-20190514-story.html

If they are 20, we must be 2,000,000.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Dem party that won't even sack up and impeach possibly the worst president in all of history is a party that I cannot trust to represent me and my interests, or vote in a way that keeps me from being tied behind a truck and dragged. Why would they get my vote?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

theflyingorc posted:

Trump will be that boogeyman regardless

Yes, but by refusing to act against him, whether it works or not, it's clear signalling that they aren't particularly concerned about the crimes he's committing or the people he's hurting. That's going to severely undermine the boogeyman motivation.

Like, "come out in 2020 to vote against Trump! Vote to take Trump down!" Well, that's exactly the line that was used about the 2018 midterms, and the House majority that was granted apparently won't even make any genuine effort to live up to those promises. I have no doubt that the next Democratic president will give Trump a pass, and at the very least some of his awful changes to the country will get to stand as the new status quo that will be magically impossible to change all of a sudden, except for the worse.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1131386418410999808

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1131387240045862912

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yes, but by refusing to act against him, whether it works or not, it's clear signalling that they aren't particularly concerned about the crimes he's committing or the people he's hurting. That's going to severely undermine the boogeyman motivation.

Like, "come out in 2020 to vote against Trump! Vote to take Trump down!" Well, that's exactly the line that was used about the 2018 midterms, and the House majority that was granted apparently won't even make any genuine effort to live up to those promises. I have no doubt that the next Democratic president will give Trump a pass, and at the very least some of his awful changes to the country will get to stand as the new status quo that will be magically impossible to change all of a sudden.

The critical thing is that we do the equivalent of a formal censuring

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

theflyingorc posted:

The critical thing is that we do the equivalent of a formal censuring

Yeah, literally do the thing in the US constitution, that was created for this exact purpose. If you can't even do that, you're refusing to live up to your constitutional duty. You think I'm gonna believe the guy who says he's going to fight against Trump if he won't even ~formally censure~ him?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

"I DID NOT THROW A FIT! NOW DO WHAT I SAAAAAYYY!!!"

Joffrey Baratheon was more even tempered

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah, literally do the thing in the US constitution, that was created for this exact purpose. If you can't even do that, you're refusing to live up to your constitutional duty.

Love how the Constitution becomes a sacred document when we want it to

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

theflyingorc posted:

Love how the Constitution becomes a sacred document when we want it to

...? Are you literally arguing that we should just ignore the Constitution, in order to...? Like, what's your end goal? Besides doing nothing?

e: Like, seriously, typically if people have a problem with a part of the Constitution they explain what their problem is and what should be done about it, they're not like, "the Constitution doesn't matter"

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

remember earlier today, when people were very sure this was all just kabuki

lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i kinda hope he gets mad and does dumb bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I didn't keep a spreadsheet so maybe it's different people but I have a real sense that some of the exact posters that were on 'impeachment is a pointless distraction for bad dems to avoid talking about their failings, shut up about impeachment" train for months in this thread have magically snapped to "actually symbolic impeachment is a requirement and not doing it is personal betrayal" the exact second they got the sense they were on the same side as bad lady nancy. Any odds on if nancy changes and goes with impeachment if those people will keep being on that side or if it will turn into 'oh, wow, instead of representing my interests dems are doing some pointless symbolic decorum thing they know is doomed to express they are very concerned, heh"