Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

feelix posted:

lol did you not play dark souls 1? You should do that first

Couldn't get DS1 to work with the controller I had, and I got a PS4 recently so DS3 is the first Souls that I played more than an hour.

I will probably get the remastered DS1 for PS4 next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well at least now you've learned to never attack anything you can't lock on to.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

Couldn't get DS1 to work with the controller I had, and I got a PS4 recently so DS3 is the first Souls that I played more than an hour.

Try to play Demon's Souls at some point, especially since you're playing DS3 right now

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you're still not that far in, I'd consider snagging DS1 and starting it first, if only because DS1 owns and going from 3 to 1 can be a little clunky

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

axolotl farmer posted:

DS3 is basically entirely DS1 fanservice, for example if you had played DS1 you would have known not to attack anyone in a place called "Firelink Shrine"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

DS3 is basically entirely DS1 fanservice, for example if you had played DS1 you would have known not to attack anyone in a place called "Firelink Shrine"

Ehhh, mostly Demon's Souls fanservice.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

King of Solomon posted:

Ehhh, mostly Demon's Souls fanservice.

There's a few Demon's Souls references, and the shape of Firelink Shrine is indeed one of them, but like 90% of the things in Dark Souls 3 are "haha remember this from Dark Souls 1"?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

There's a few Demon's Souls references, and the shape of Firelink Shrine is indeed one of them, but like 90% of the things in Dark Souls 3 are "haha remember this from Dark Souls 1"?

The entirety of Firelink Shrine, ESPECIALLY the keeper, is a huge DeS reference. Then there's the area that's basically a slightly modified 3-1 that has Yuria the Witch in it, the return of the Storm Ruler...really, the actual DS1 references are few and far between, the DeS references are everywhere

E: obviously ignoring the DS series items like the Ring of Favor and Protection.
E2: I just remembered how much Lothric Castle is basically Boletaria, too.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 23, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
DS3 is semi-veiled references to DeS transposed over an explicitly timeskipped DS1 world.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Just off the top of my head, the DS1 references are (other than all the items, weapons, armor, etc which can't just be handwaved away):

1. Anything to do with magic mentions Logan
2. Smouldering Lake is Ash Lake
3. Bonewheels
4. Anor Londo
5. Elizabeth mushroom people dead in Farron
6. Ornstein
7. Nameless King
8. Havel
9. Mimics

I know there are tons more. Point is they outnumber the DeS references by a longshot.

One other DeS ref: the ballista in Smouldering Lake is similar to that thing in Latria.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

KingSlime posted:

If you're still not that far in, I'd consider snagging DS1 and starting it first, if only because DS1 owns and going from 3 to 1 can be a little clunky

I have reached Lothric Castle, so I think I'll stick to DS3 for a while. I enjoy bashing things with an axe.

It's a +8 heavy Brigand axe which is probably a terrible choice.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

I have reached Lothric Castle, so I think I'll stick to DS3 for a while. I enjoy bashing things with an axe.

It's a +8 heavy Brigand axe which is probably a terrible choice.

It's probably fine and if it works for you, go nuts

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah the DeS references felt cheekier/more subtle. In contrast I felt like it beat me over the head with all the DS1 references.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just off the top of my head, the DS1 references are (other than all the items, weapons, armor, etc which can't just be handwaved away):

1. Anything to do with magic mentions Logan
2. Smouldering Lake is Ash Lake
3. Bonewheels
4. Anor Londo
5. Elizabeth mushroom people dead in Farron
6. Ornstein
7. Nameless King
8. Havel
9. Mimics

I know there are tons more. Point is they outnumber the DeS references by a longshot.

One other DeS ref: the ballista in Smouldering Lake is similar to that thing in Latria.

I think part of the Firelink Maiden's prayer when you level up in DS3 has similar wording to the Maiden in Black's prayer from DeS. The only other big DeS nods I can think of are what seems to be Biorr's armor set in a DS2 Memory or the Mensis Brain in Bloodborne basically being the same thing that appears in the Tower of Latria.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I generally think of Demons' Souls references in subsequent games as just re-using an asset or setpiece rather than an actual "reference" to Demons' Souls. Like the Moonlight GS is in DeS, but it being in all the Souls game and BB isn't a reference to DeS or Kings Field or whatever the first game it was in. Its just a thing they re-use. Mensis Brain is another good example of that. It's just repurposed, not suggesting a connection between the games.

Whereas most of the DS1 stuff in DS3 is of the "Hey remember this!?" variety.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Look Sir Droids posted:

I generally think of Demons' Souls references in subsequent games as just re-using an asset or setpiece rather than an actual "reference" to Demons' Souls. Like the Moonlight GS is in DeS, but it being in all the Souls game and BB isn't a reference to DeS or Kings Field or whatever the first game it was in. Its just a thing they re-use. Mensis Brain is another good example of that. It's just repurposed, not suggesting a connection between the games.

Whereas most of the DS1 stuff in DS3 is of the "Hey remember this!?" variety.

I dunno, the Firekeeper and Yuria both feel like they're the same level of reference as Siegward is. Same with the rest of Firelink and the blatant 3-1 area (as compared to Anor Londo). It's different from Patches or the Moonlight Greatsword being From staples.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The DeS stuff is pretty obscure and easy to miss other than the firelink shrine design (which imo is crap, this is the ugliest least inspired hub in a soulsborne game)

The worst part is from must have really liked their crappy black cave with no graphics and a generic spiral staircase because it pops up multiple times in the same game! This is the act that followed Majula, the Hunter's dream, etc

You know what yeah I'm also leaning more towards asset reuse vs deliberate references for most of these

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's not obscure at all is the thing. It's thinly veiled because Sony owns the rights to it, but it's extremely blatant otherwise.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think Yuria is a re-use of the name and the reference is Beatrice.

I don't really agree DS3 Firelink is all that much like the Nexus either, except for the area immediately around the bonfire. That's just a design choice, not necessarily a reference.

The Firekeeper being blind and in black and the jail area looking like Latria are the most clear DeS references.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think Yuria is a re-use of the name and the reference is Beatrice.

I don't really agree DS3 Firelink is all that much like the Nexus either, except for the area immediately around the bonfire. That's just a design choice, not necessarily a reference.

The Firekeeper being blind and in black and the jail area looking like Latria are the most clear DeS references.

Doublechecking, the DS3 version of the character I'm talking about is Karla.

The main similarity between the Nexus and DS3 Firelink is the stairwell.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yuria is a reference, but to Mephistopheles

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Profaned Capital is a DeS reference too- towers connected by bridges, patrolled by gargoyles, with a centipede infested swamp at the bottom, is pretty close to 3-2, particularly since it comes after Irithyll Dungeon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Personally, I never gave it much thought because, as the last game in the franchise, it'd make sense for FromSoft to reference all the games. That's why you find references to 1, 2 and Demon's Souls (even if the references to 2 are mostly relegated to items). You could even argue a few armor pieces and enemies are Bloodborne-inspired.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 24, 2019

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's a direct sequel to DS1 that also has references to DeS and DS2 so it's really weird to argue that it has more references to any game that isn't DS1

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

It's a direct sequel to DS1 that also has references to DeS and DS2 so it's really weird to argue that it has more references to any game that isn't DS1

I mean, it has a TON of DeS references, and for a direct sequel to DS1, not anywhere near as many references as you'd expect. It's not that weird.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

for a direct sequel to DS1, not anywhere near as many references as you'd expect.

I have to disagree. I felt like most of the game was "Hey, hey, remember this thing from DS1? Pretty cool, eh?"

At least half the plot is dealing with the fate of Gwyn's descendants and comrades. Farron is a big Artorias/Sif fanservice fest. Same for Irithyll just being Anor Londo but cold, with the pontiff, Yorshka, and Aldrich being pretty direct end points to the stories of characters from DS1. Then later the dancer, nameless king, Havel, etc. Hell, even the final boss is pretty much just Gwyn infused with a bunch of random people who had linked the fire.

Then again I've never played Demon's Souls, so what do I know. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

here’s a reference: my rear end

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Digirat posted:

here’s a reference: my rear end

What are you doing out here, get back in izalith

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What are you doing out here, get back in izalith

it's a huge, obvious miss that DS3 didn't have a painfully awkward dragon butt monster just chilling in the middle of some zone. don't even need to explain it or justify it or anything, just have the player turn a corner and go through a door and BAM dragon butt waiting to stomp all over your balls

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
butt then you'd say this game is dragon rear end.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Doctor Syrup posted:

I have to disagree. I felt like most of the game was "Hey, hey, remember this thing from DS1? Pretty cool, eh?"

At least half the plot is dealing with the fate of Gwyn's descendants and comrades. Farron is a big Artorias/Sif fanservice fest. Same for Irithyll just being Anor Londo but cold, with the pontiff, Yorshka, and Aldrich being pretty direct end points to the stories of characters from DS1. Then later the dancer, nameless king, Havel, etc. Hell, even the final boss is pretty much just Gwyn infused with a bunch of random people who had linked the fire.

Then again I've never played Demon's Souls, so what do I know. :shrug:

See, when I first played the game, I felt like most of the game was "Hey, hey, remember this thing from DeS? Yeah, we do too, it's awesome."

Obviously I noticed references to DS1, and plenty of them, but it honestly didn't feel like there were as many. DeS references were everywhere

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just murdered Gael on the second try after spending maybe 10 hrs on Midir. Love this game

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finally beat DS2 and started this up. Boy, it runs like poo poo, huh? Every time I turn the camera the frame rate drops like a bag of rocks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS2 runs much better than DS1 and MUCH better than 3 on my machine

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

3 is a next gen game compared to 2 so yup, it's optimized worse in comparison thanks to being mostly specced for ps4 and thus having more powerful hardware to run on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

Finally beat DS2 and started this up. Boy, it runs like poo poo, huh? Every time I turn the camera the frame rate drops like a bag of rocks.

I think your computer sucks, sorry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It sounds like their computer sucks, but also, ds3 legit performs pretty badly. ds2 is the most opimized, ds1 the least(but at least ds1 is old enough that new hardware makes up for that(usually)).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How would a Deep/Fire Partizan stack up for early-game invasions? I love spears but I've found hardly any weapons have the oomph for Watchdog PVP et al. apart from like, the Mace. I've tried a Raw Winged Spear before but I actually got suck on Deacons because of how bad it sucked.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think your computer sucks, sorry.

My computer is a PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Ah I think I've found your problem.

Wrong type of RAM