Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

poverty goat posted:

how does this actually work in relation to the seasons being whacky

Well, you see, the ice spiders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

was there a gay character? I don't actually remember but I think there were tumblr gifs a while back of, I'm going to say, nipple waxing?

Renly was gay as hell

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Which was a problem because he couldn't get it up to gently caress his wife Margaery Tyrel and she had to suggest that Renly gently caress her brother and then just nut in her to make an heir.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

all of Dorne was bi

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

thread title is :discourse:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well Westeros is clearly not medieval, there's no gunpowder :smuggo:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
In the future, all of their firearms will use Wildfire.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lol of you missed the gay people in got.

And also gay persecution being the literal main plot of a season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

all of Dorne was bi

Well duh have you seen Doctor Bashir's relationship with Garak?

DS9 managed to come up with a satisfying conclusion to their overwhelming enemy problem by specifically pointing out that the federation could not defeat the Dominion in a straight up fight, even with Klingon and romulan support. They went into every battle in the war with something like a 70% casualty rate and they only managed to drive the smallest foothold of Dominion territory out of the Alpha quadrant because the cardassians rose up in revolt and lost hundreds of millions in the process. The war only ended because Bashir had cured Odo's plague and they agreed to a ceasefire if Odo would return to the Founders and prevent another genocide.

Make no mistake the Dominion would have won the war under any other circumstances and the federation nearly broke anyways.

But anyways, yeah Doran Bashir Martell totes gay

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I watched a bunch of clips of when Oberyn was around. That was some good games of throning.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I was pretty much over how poo poo the ending was, then I watched this reimagining of it - without adding any more episodes, and now I'm back to being properly mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU

Honestly worth a watch. Apart from a couple of minor nitpicky things I think he pretty much created a perfect version.

(It's ~17 minutes long)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

how does this actually work in relation to the seasons being whacky

Official word from GRRM is that they are the exact same as our years and how that works is not relevant.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Official word from GRRM is that they are the exact same as our years and how that works is not relevant.

They picked 365 1/4 days for name days, regardless of seasons. Cause faaaaaart

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's because it's our world in the far future.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean GRRM could have said, the planet has the same time around its sun as ours, and then waddled off but he was very clear. There is no reason, it merely is

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The fat man doesn't care about precision just story telling

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Theres fun explanations for the seasons. But why they picked an earth human year to could time with no basis is the weird bit.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The constellations and possibly crops would still follow standard years, though obviously the flora should be completely different to begin with.

I'm willing to give this one a pass because alternate calendars are a pain in the rear end to keep track of.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Chomp8645 posted:

A thousand years huh? Who wants to bet we're gonna see Star Wars levels of technological stagnation and the folks from a thousand years ago have exactly the same kind of weapons/armor/castles and such as the main series.

well if they kept qyburn alive they prob woulda have gotten tanks in 10 years or so since he invented guided anti-air scorpions in between season 7-8. in 10 years but since he's dead it's believable to continual tech stagnation.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

i was going to give grrm props for knowing what actually matters in a story, then i remembered lemoncakes.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How the gently caress has nobody found America, people have boats in this world.

I guess Arya has to find it so she can be the one to import syphilis to Westeros and Essos.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How the gently caress has nobody found America, people have boats in this world.

I guess Arya has to find it so she can be the one to import syphilis to Westeros and Essos.

Her genocide of the White Walkers was just practice.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

YaketySass posted:

Her genocide of the White Walkers was just practice.

Wight Genocide is cool and good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wight Genocide is cool and good.

:eyepop:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Which was a problem because he couldn't get it up to gently caress his wife Margaery Tyrel and she had to suggest that Renly gently caress her brother and then just nut in her to make an heir.

Margaery owns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres fun explanations for the seasons. But why they picked an earth human year to could time with no basis is the weird bit.

It'd just be confusing for readers if 'a year' wasn't the same thing they are familiar with.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

there's no functional point in making years a different length

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

I mean GRRM could have said, the planet has the same time around its sun as ours, and then waddled off but he was very clear. There is no reason, it merely is

I agree that the people spergy enough to care about this are also in too deep to imagine that explanation for themselves

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

are the names of the week ever discussed in the books

i guess it's pretty easy if there are 7 gods just give em each a day

but there certainly wouldnt be a tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, or saturday in westeros

monday and sunday can stay i guess

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How does anyone believe in Rainbow God when the other religions have varying degrees of empirical evidence of miracles? The basic requirement to be an Ironborn priest is to be drowned to death and resurrected by the power of their spooky Dagon Cthulhu god or something. And the Bright God can also rez people, and make fire.

Side note: why isn’t the 7 Faced God faith’s flag not just a rainbow pride flag?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Side note: why isn’t the 7 Faced God faith’s flag not just a rainbow pride flag?

In the books Renly's kingsguard has basically the gay pride flag as cloaks but it was cut from the show for being a bit on the nose. Then again, in the books it's not obvious that Renly is gay with Loras either, it's just subtext.

Edit- so much so that my mom read the books on my recommendation (all in like, three months too, she went apeshit on them) and when I asked her afterwards if she picked up on it she said no. But honestly there is so much going on in the books it is hard to keep track. She also saw one or two episodes of season 6 and told me "it's a stupid show".

Ralph Crammed In fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 23, 2019

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ralph Crammed In posted:

In the books Renly's kingsguard has basically the gay pride flag as cloaks but it was cut from the show for being a bit on the nose. Then again, in the books it's not obvious that Renly is gay with Loras either, it's just subtext.

This reminds me that instead of that stupid dumb rear end Wild Cards gang tag, we could have had an awesome ~RAINBOW GUARD~ tag, but the book readers are dumbos

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

yeah she ruled, what a trooper

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That supercut of the hound ripping on people is great.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I mean there could just be ocean there like people originally thought in history.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Randarkman posted:

I mean there could just be ocean there like people originally thought in history.

If the world's flat, it'll just end up being the east side of Essos which we already know is supposed to harbor super hosed up terrors and demons or whatever. Arya, of course, will simply be able to sneak up and murder them though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I hope that it's just way too much ocean and that Arya dies of thirst on her voyage.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Why did they call the poop disease the pale mare when it should be the brown mare, come on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efD3nmwF-IM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nope