Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SettingSun posted:

I'm genuinely disappointed that job quests are getting depreciated. Those are my favorite quests in the game since they really gave me a real sense of progressing up in level.

On the one hand, I agree that some of the job quests were the best content in this game. But on the other hand, half of them were pretty dull. In the end, this is probably a net positive, but I am going to be sad to see the quests of the people with good lines (drk, gsm) go.

Ouhei posted:

I’m having trouble deciding which tank to main going forward. I started on PLD, moved to DRK in HW, back to PLD in SB, but recently capped WAR and have been using that.

PLD and DRK changes look interesting (PLD getting better AoE, DRK dropping DA bull crap) and WAR doesn’t seem to be getting as exciting of updates...

GNB looked rad as hell to me. Only job shown that has me considering a main swap from sam if the sam changes turn out to not be as fun as I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

On the one hand, I agree that some of the job quests were the best content in this game. But on the other hand, half of them were pretty dull. In the end, this is probably a net positive, but I am going to be sad to see the quests of the people with good lines (drk, gsm) go.

GNB looked rad as hell to me. Only job shown that has me considering a main swap from sam if the sam changes turn out to not be as fun as I think.

Two.

Midares.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not super nuts about the tank changes so far - losing dps stances feels weird and it has some possibly scary implications for WAR - but if they makeup for it with solid defensives then maybe it'll be okay.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
My character is a boosted one , 65 Monk and Machinist with all main story completed up until the last expansion I believe.

So if I bought Starter id be "locked out" of this char ?.. the only way to access it on PS4 would be to buy the "Complete" Pack and then Shadowbringers once its out I guess ?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You'd have access to the character but the jobs over 60 won't be able to gain exp, and you won't be able to switch to red mage or samurai.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cabbit posted:

Two.

Midares.

Two midares are incredible and I am super hype for samurai. But it's possible hagakure may have been a source of a lot of the decision making in the sam rotation and it's removal could end up making the job uninteresting (VERY UNLIKELY). Also, just more midare's in general is rad as hell but also means I will more often be annoyed by midares being cancelled for whatever reason. Lastly, the meditate attack looks dope, but there are a few ways it could turn out bad. For example, more damage the longer you meditate and it turns out to be the best dps to let the meditate complete. Or needing to use it while meditating so you need to get your positioning correct for the enemies landing when you do it during a phase transition. Also, having to budget kenki around another 50 cost spender and then also having more midare's to kaiten means less shinten use and I am kinda eh on that.

To be clear, I think they're going to nail it and it's going to be even more fun before. It's more or less exactly what I wanted. But I can see the potential ways for my wish fulfillment to ultimately end up annoying and making me less happy with it. I don't think this is very likely though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I'm not super nuts about the tank changes so far - losing dps stances feels weird and it has some possibly scary implications for WAR - but if they makeup for it with solid defensives then maybe it'll be okay.

The scary implication of always being able to fel cleave?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mfny posted:

If I buy base game (Starter) and Shadowbringers does that get me all content on PS4 ?

Vitamean posted:

Heavensward is also free until June 27th on PSN, so you can go all the way through to the end of the first expansion if you bought the starter edition. Plenty of stuff to fill out a month and change unless you powergame it.

e: relevant info: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c9bbc9225ec2fad7a30a8cc55e4d62177375d0f2

To add a little to this, I'd be genuinely shocked if you finished HW before ShB releases without any boosts if you're starting fresh. And even if you do finish the MSQ to that point, there's so much side content that you could do to tide you over (the raid stories for example, one of which looks to be pretty crucial going forward) that you wouldn't have any trouble filling in what little gap in time remains.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The only possible scary implication I can think of is that they might decide to unify the tank stance mechanics so that you have to waste a GCD activating Defiance, although I'd hope they'd pivot in the opposite direction and let PLD/DRK activate/deactivate theirs for free.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I don't see any negative implications for tanks. It's essentially having Deliverance as no-stance, and Defiance as an emnity toggle. The defensive trait is built in across the board in a more standardized fashion.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

The scary implication of always being able to fel cleave?

you can only fell cleave in deliverance, which is being removed? i'm assuming that the skills just rotate out if you swap tank stance, but they seem to want to get away from stance dancing and it's kind of a big part of the warrior playstyle now.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Vitamean posted:

You'd have access to the character but the jobs over 60 won't be able to gain exp, and you won't be able to switch to red mage or samurai.

Yea, I think ill just wait till the new expansion is actually out or they redo the "compleate" set to include it as well or something, to complicated otherwise and also to expensive.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you can only fell cleave in deliverance, which is being removed? i'm assuming that the skills just rotate out if you swap tank stance, but they seem to want to get away from stance dancing and it's kind of a big part of the warrior playstyle now.

I kinda felt like the wariror playstyle was "be in dps stance as much as possible" and there wasnt' so much dancing as there was tank stance for establishing aggro before changing to dps stance for the rest of the encounter. The assumption seems that fel cleaver is just replacing steel cyclone.

Like the tank changes just seem like they're making tanking less fiddly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

All that they're effectively doing is making each tank behave like DRK, where your DPS stance is you playing without the tank stance on. For Warrior, you'll have access to Fell Cleave and Decimate when you don't have Defiance on, and access to Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone when you have Defiance on.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I like the job/class quests but they do disrupt the pacing of the MSQ. Integrating them more into the leveling experience seems smart. Condensing the job/role storylines also makes sense - we're more likely to get consistently good experiences from each, rather than a variable level of quality across a dozen plus storylines.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Thinking about it, this does have interesting implications for warrior main tanking. If they keep the current split of stance = inner beast and no stance = fel cleave then it might end up being annoying to be a war who ends up main tanking, depending on how necessary the enmity stance ends up being to maintaining threat. Which might be a lot to be honest, I already have to bust rear end with diversion on cd and usually at least some degree of merciful eyes use to not pull threat and I can't imagine things getting easier with two midares.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah it's one of those weird things that never quite made sense to me. It's like... Edgar shoots this whisk-looking thing from what looks like a cross between a fishing reel and a faucet, it knocks the enemy back, and gives them a totally unique status effect that works like FF9's Heat. :shrug:

Kid me rationalized this as a heavy spiked/barbed net. Imagine being basically draped in barbed wire. Yeah I'd wanna die if I made any movements too :gonk:

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I'm bummed out about losing Job Quests, they were the main reason I even bothered to level most jobs the hard way instead of just boosting them. I think there's a few that are mostly agreed to be bad/boring, but I still liked the majority of them and the 70 ones were really good. (And even if you or I didn't care for a particular one, someone else might've liked them too)

Rip stuff like cute DRGon adventures, meeting Shatotto, cleaving battle couples, Tonberries, gladiator tournaments, the redemption of the honest healer, etc.

I know they wanted to do something about the way people get lazy to Job Quests, but removing them onward is sad. They were my main motivation for casually playing/subbing throughout the 4.x content.

quote:

— Crafting and Gathering Quests will have five sets of quests in different disciplines. They involve stories centered on the Crystarium and a collective of artisans. DoH: The Facets of Forging, Crafting, and Nourishment. DoL will have the Facets of Gathering and Fishing. Hone your skills as you progress through the story of the Crystalline Mean and you’ll learn more about the world of the First. These quests are similar to the Custom Deliveries quests.

At least they're keeping DoH/DoL quests in.

What I am very happy to hear is they actually did something positive for pet systems!

quote:

— The Pet System will be heavily revised. Pets will no longer be affected by enemy attacks or PC actions. Pet actions will be removed from the pet hotbar and be recategorized as player actions. Actions for pets designed to function as tanks (Titan-egi, Topaz Carbuncle) will be revised. The unique actions for each pet will be consolidated.

MP being capped at 10k will be...interesting at first, but this being % based might take out a lot of guesswork in panic spell-casting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll miss job quests as a concept, but the decision was purely rational optics: they're going to keep adding 2-3 new jobs per expansion for a while to come, and every new job under the old system needed two leveling tiers worth of job quests, which would increase by one tier with each new expansion. The more content you have to spin, the more thinly stretched your writers are going to get, and the more the quality of the writing will suffer. I'd rather we get four quest series with rock solid writing over 16 ones with mediocre-to-bad writing, which was the prevalent trend throughout Stormblood.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
%mana spells will be really nice if you get level synced as BLM so you dont end up with really weird mana amounts

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm curious what the helmet timer for DRK is supposed to signify exactly. It seems to be triggered by using Edge of Shadow, which is an upgrade 70+ ability from an earlier Edge of Darkness ability. Some kind of distinction between darkness mode and shadow mode???

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ouhei posted:

WAR doesn’t seem to be getting as exciting of updates...

I've heard that in several places now, but I've kind of felt like WAR has always been the "sometimes you just gotta loving punch a dude in the face" tank, and I don't really care about looking pretty?

Either that, or they omitted a skill in the demonstration, which, in and of itself, is not unheard of.

Past cases include but are not limited to, RDM's VerFlare and Moulinet/Enchanted Moulinet, MCH's Turret Overdrive, SAM's Mangetsu and Hugebanana.

And that was just SB's job actions video. So it's probably safe to say that other skills were omitted from the ShB one as well. We still don't know what "The White-Aspected Spell That You Cast After Verflare Now" looks like.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The WAR job fantasy has been, "I want to occasionally see an extremely large number pop up over my target," since HW. Considering the otherwise completely accurate Pastebin leak said they're getting a 900 Potency action, I'd say they'll be good if that's what you're looking for.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Warrior is being big and tearing enemies asunder with your giant axe. Sadly defiant won't make you a beefcake anymore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

We still don't know what "The White-Aspected Spell That You Cast After Verflare Now" looks like.
I'm assuming there's that was just one spell you cast after either flare or holy, since it looked kinda redish?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 24, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Oxyclean posted:

I'm assuming there's that was just one spell you cast after either flare or holy, since it looked kinda redish?

Also it was just called 'Scorch' instead of.. like, Verscorch, or whatever. It sort of reminded me of a super-sized Scatter.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cabbit posted:

Also it was just called 'Scorch' instead of.. like, Verscorch, or whatever. It sort of reminded me of a super-sized Scatter.

I was wondering if it was on-the-move black bar increaser and there's a Swirl or something for the other side that hasn't yet been shown.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Okay, this face is pretty cool.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This is slightly illuminating - I hadn't seen tooltips pulled that showed regular veraero and thunder and didn't remember the were set to much earlier then level 18 & 22. Scatter is at 18, so probably a safe assumption it's getting axed for the aoe aero and thunder.

Guess the names are maybe just placeholders and they'll be called something else at release like Veraero II. Still would have rathered they went with VerIce and VerWater to round out the elements.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Leofish posted:

Okay, this face is pretty cool.

Geralt as a Hrothgar

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxyclean posted:

This is slightly illuminating - I hadn't seen tooltips pulled that showed regular veraero and thunder and didn't remember the were set to much earlier then level 18 & 22. Scatter is at 18, so probably a safe assumption it's getting axed for the aoe aero and thunder.

Guess the names are maybe just placeholders and they'll be called something else at release like Veraero II. Still would have rathered they went with VerIce and VerWater to round out the elements.

What's up with Engagement and Displacement sharing a recast timer?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Kurieg posted:

engagement is your option to still get some potency when you don't want to backflip

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kurieg posted:

They're probably charged actions now

alternately it's to avoid idiots like me who accidentally hit both at the same time which causes you to engage and then instantly displace and do the jog of shame back into melee range for your combo

e:

Smart Car posted:

Engagement's a new a action that's just Displacement without the jump back. Corps-a-corps is still there as your charge into melee move.

oh I completely forgot that the charge in move was called something else lol

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 24, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

They're probably charged actions now

Charge information is on the tooltip in other examples.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Engagement's a new a action that's just Displacement without the jump back. Corps-a-corps is still there as your charge into melee move.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Smart Car posted:

Engagement is for the cowards who don't want to flip off a platform.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Failboattootoot posted:

Thinking about it, this does have interesting implications for warrior main tanking. If they keep the current split of stance = inner beast and no stance = fel cleave then it might end up being annoying to be a war who ends up main tanking, depending on how necessary the enmity stance ends up being to maintaining threat.

In the job actions trailer the WAR uses Fell Cleave and Decimate after turning on Defiance after using Inner Beast without it on, so safe to say all four actions will probably just always be available.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you aren't squeezing in every possible backflip against suzaku themn i don't know why you're even playing the class really

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kaubocks posted:

if you aren't squeezing in every possible backflip against suzaku themn i don't know why you're even playing the class really

to mash the lb3 before anyone else can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Some additional SMN things I've noticed watching the benchmark/job trailer again: while Dreadwyrm Trance wasn't in the job trailer, there was a trance animation using Phoenix in the benchmark, so it may be here to stay anyway. Importantly, Demi-Bahamut did not seem to Wyrmwave when the SMN used Tri-Disaster, wonder if it's only going to trigger on GCD skills? Pretty significant change if so.