Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Commander Keene posted:

The Wild1 West

1 Not a significant source of wildness

The classic Wild West period isn't until after the Civil War, whose start is still 11 years in the future from this particular trip. Like the age of knights and chivalry in England, or the era of samurai and bushido in Japan, the Wild West is a romanticized and largely imaginary period of the past inspired by a few famous and heavily mythologized incidents and fables.

I'm sure Chitoryu's more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, but from what I understand most violence in the Wild West were bar fights and shootings, not banditry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

inward empire did a fantastic episode on the history of the wild west as a mythological concept, if that's your jam

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

The classic Wild West period isn't until after the Civil War, whose start is still 11 years in the future from this particular trip. Like the age of knights and chivalry in England, or the era of samurai and bushido in Japan, the Wild West is a romanticized and largely imaginary period of the past inspired by a few famous and heavily mythologized incidents and fables.

I'm sure Chitoryu's more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, but from what I understand most violence in the Wild West were bar fights and shootings, not banditry.

Homicide rates in old west towns were ridiculously high. An adult in Dodge City between 1876 and 1885 had a 1 in 61 chance of being murdered that year. You'd go months without any killings, but the towns had such low populations that it was still greatly disproportionate; 3 murders a year could mean 1% of your population being killed.

Banditry was often done without any killing, at least not needless killing. Bank robbery was far, far less common than stealing cattle or horses or contributing to vice and scams (like illegal gambling and prostitution or bullshit medical elixirs). You still got some crazy gunfights; Wikipedia has articles for 33 notable gunfights between 1840 and 1918. The Battle of Lincoln in 1878 lasted five days and was only ended by the military arriving, which also ended the Lincoln County War.

Probably my favorite gunfight of the whole era was the one at Blazer's Mill that year, one of the very few to actually fulfill the legendary reputation of the Wild West. The Lincoln County War was a battle between James Dolan and John Tunstall & Alexander McSween over control of the dry goods and cattle ranching business in New Mexico Territory (imagine Walmart and Target hiring mercenaries and bribing cops to battle in the streets over dominance). Tunstall got murdered, his faction formed the Lincoln County Regulators to go out and kill Dolan's people, and it escalated from there until you had 5 months of shootings.

So, Blazer's Mill. Andrew "Buckshot" Roberts was a famous mountain man and buffalo hunter who had served as a Texas Ranger. He earned his name after taking a load of buckshot to the right shoulder, making it impossible for him to raise his arm very high. Roberts was mistakenly believed to be involved in Tunstall's murder, so when he arrived at Blazer's Mill to get the check from selling his ranch he accidentally ran into a ton of Regulators eating lunch. When one of them can't convince him to surrender, they confront him as a group. All 13 of them.

Roberts fires his Winchester from the hip (since he can't raise his arm any higher) while Charlie Bowdre fires his revolver. Roberts is hit in the hip, while his own bullet ricochet's off Charlie's belt buckle (blowing the belt off and knocking him to the ground) and destroys George Coe's right hand. Buckshot Roberts backs away, pumping round after round from the hip, severely wounding John Middleton. He runs down the hill, continuing to fire back at the scattering Regulators and grazing Doc Scurlock and Billy Bonney (who would become the infamous Billy the Kid). He runs out of ammo and prepares to run for his mule to get his pistol belt off the saddle, so Billy runs up and tries to charge him. Roberts smacks him with the rifle and he runs away again.

Roberts hides in the mill doctor's house and finds his big .45-70 Springfield rifle and a box of ammo, so he loads it up and barricades the door with the bed. The Regulator leader, Dick Brewer, isn't able to talk him into surrendering and gets the bright idea to flank the house and fire through the window at him. He misses his pistol shot from behind a log pile and Roberts sees the cloud of smoke drifting away from where the shot came from, so he carefully aims his rifle at the logs. Brewer pops up and immediately falls back down with most of his head having turned into a fine pink mist.

The Regulators flee, one man having killed their leader and wounded 5 others (George Coe would have his trigger finger amputated because of the wound). They return with a doctor to find Roberts mortally wounded, and he gives his side of the story before dying the next day. Brewer and Roberts were buried in the same casket, forcing them to share each other's company for eternity.

Edit: In case anyone forgets how fast the world modernized, George Coe died at the age of 85...in November 1941. The cowboy who got shot by a mountain man in the Wild West lived to see the beginning of World War II.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 24, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: In case anyone forgets how fast the world modernized, George Coe died at the age of 85...in November 1941. The cowboy who got shot by a mountain man in the Wild West lived to see the beginning of World War II.

Had we only waited at that last rock slide for another ~100 years or so our descendants could've taken one of them shiny new freeways the rest of the way to the coast; hell, I-84 takes us straight from Salt Lake to Portland. Think of all the trouble we could've saved.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What gets me is how this is all just a few decades before million-man armies in WW1, the disconnect is jarring.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s fully possible for someone who was an adult in a time before cars to have witnessed man landing on the moon.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think I understand old people a bit more. At least the wild staring eyes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Wyatt Earp, of OK Corral fame, spent his last years as a consultant in Hollywood on Western movies, and trying to get a movie of his life made.

Laura Ingalls Wilder, of Little House fame, lived long enough to watch Elvis Presley on Ed Sullivan. Her daughter lived long enough to write pro-Vietnam war articles.

John Tyler, President of the US who was born in 1790, has two living grandsons.

The past isn't always as long ago as you think.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Wyatt Earp, of OK Corral fame, spent his last years as a consultant in Hollywood on Western movies, and trying to get a movie of his life made.

Laura Ingalls Wilder, of Little House fame, lived long enough to watch Elvis Presley on Ed Sullivan. Her daughter lived long enough to write pro-Vietnam war articles.

John Tyler, President of the US who was born in 1790, has two living grandsons.

The past isn't always as long ago as you think.

Cleopatra was born closer to the founding of Pizza Hut than she was to the pyramids being built

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What amazing art

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to work out what the bear was. But it's an edutainment thing, it having any graphics at all is enough to impress me. :corsair:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No slowing down! Breathe through your ears if you have to!

Fort Hall was built in 1834 as a fur trading outpost. As it's right before the Oregon and California trails split, it's the last stop for wagon trains going in opposite directions to be together. While the original site is now empty grassland, a replica has been built in Pocatello, ID 30 miles away.

There's no laudanum, so I get the next best thing.

Our route brings us along the Snake River until we reach the crossing point.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s fully possible for someone who was an adult in a time before cars to have witnessed man landing on the moon.

My great grandfather didn't make it quite that long, but was born in 1880 in rural NZ and died in 1967 in America so I mean that goes from pre-cars to space travel.

Edit:

Ford the River

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 25, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

A ‘little’ tricky? Three feet isn’t deep. Ford that poo poo.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This one’s shallow enough, let’s ford it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Caulk and float

We mustn't risk the whiskey!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Don't be risky with the whiskey.

Caulk and Float

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
We must keep the freshly acquired whiskey safe at all costs. Caulk and Float.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When your wagon's full of whiskey, caulk and float.
When your wagon's full of whiskey, caulk and float
The expedition may get sicker
If you ford and lose the liquor

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, we just bought whiskey, we caulk, that poo poo's important.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Drink all the liquor, then ford that fucker. After all, if we drink it, we can't lose it to the crossing!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

queserasera posted:

:hmmyes:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
If the river's too shallow, you'll fall over while floating it. If it's too deep, you'll flood the wagon trying to ford it. And three feet seems to be the sweet spot where both of those things have the highest odds. So I say FORD that son of a bitch and let the chips fall where they may.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Drink some of that whiskey and fordge ahead!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ford to victory!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

queserasera posted:

:hai:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

5 year olds can't drink whiskey (or can they?) so I say ford it.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

CirclMastr posted:

They need to get weaned onto it ASAP if we can.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

CirclMastr posted:

Sure they can. Anything with some sort of mouth can drink whiskey. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, necessarily, though it would definitely stop the endless "Are we there yet?" that I imagine five year old you has been inflicting on the group.

Since three feet's a coin toss, I say ford just to save time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress. Now we need to grind our coffee with a hammer or something.

Off to California!

The only thing inside was a box of Betamax tapes.

Here's where we would have ended up if we took the Hudspeth Cutoff.

The City of Rocks is a large collection of tall boulders and rock formations in the deserts of Idaho. Since the 1970s they've been a popular destination for climbers and have over 1000 routes. It's also an important marker because we're about halfway to Sacramento!

Just past the rocks is where the Salt Lake Cutoff would have joined up.

Real great to hear them being called "mountains" instead of "hills" now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

These mountains ended one of my campaigns as a kid. Whatever I did, wagon fell over over and over again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

gently caress. Now we need to grind our coffee with a hammer or something.

Quick - every one get on your hands and knees and start drinking the river coffee, no sense in letting it go to waste. Then when you're all hopped up on several litres of coffee go build some fires so we can cook 20 lbs. of corn bread and dry out all our beans.

Then I guess double team it up the hill.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Double up

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ropes and chains.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Double-team the goons.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Double Team

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Poil posted:

Double-team the goons.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Quick - every one get on your hands and knees and start drinking the river coffee, no sense in letting it go to waste. Then when you're all hopped up on several litres of coffee go build some fires so we can cook 20 lbs. of corn bread and dry out all our beans.

Then I guess double team it up the hill.

lol if you make your coffee with water like a pleb, real pioneers just stir some fresh-ground beans into our breakfast whiskey before roping and chaining our way over every mountain in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I have a confession to make. I ate the coffee mill.

Double team, I guess?