Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

But it should be. Someone write a M*A*S*H RPG.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199282/MASHED-A-Korean-War-MASH-RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

....holy poo poo

gotta save my pennies now, I want this

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

....holy poo poo

gotta save my pennies now, I want this

I'm already raiding the couch cushion, gimme gimme gimme

Edit :

quote:

MASH is the acronym for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. MASHED is not based on or derived from, and should not be implied as being an official or authorized part of, the M*A*S*H media franchise. M*A*S*H is a registered trademark of 20th Century Fox Film Corporation.

quote:

Much of the game actually occurs outside of the operating tent, at times when the flow of casualties has ebbed. Here you may fall in or out of love, fight the orders of ineffective top brass, set up pranks, help your South Korean allies, pick fights, seduce your way through the unit, pull rank, and much more.

7 playbooks (Angel, Corpsman, Cowboy, Cutter, Doc, Grunt, Padre)

Riiiiiight :mmmsmug:

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 24, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was in on the kickstarter for that precisely because of my adoration for the TV show and I think it's pretty decent, though I don't think I'll ever get it to the table. But I can imagine a world where I can be Father Mulcahy in a tabletop game and that's all I really want.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctors are supposed to be considered non-combatants. There's a very longstanding and very defensible stance for especially a doctor working in a war to refuse to shoot a gun in a battle, and I'm kinda dismayed to find that position being equated with a wishy-washy centrist please-don't-punch-nazis political stance.

Medics, doctors, etc. are protected as special non-combatants by the geneva conventions, but that protection is tenuous: even signatories to the geneva conventions are prone to grasping any useful excuse, so doctors have a legal obligation in addition to their ethical obligations, to avoid providing such excuses.

On modern battlefields, combat medics do carry arms, and are allowed to use them to defend themselves, but only under specific circumstances, usually having to do with defense while treating or recovering wounded, traveling to or from a place where they'll collect or treat wounded, etc. They have to remove the red cross armband (if they were wearing one), and because of the long tradition of ignoring or even intentionally targeting doctors, some modern armies don't use it anymore for combat medics.

MASH portrays field hospital doctors, though, which are different from embedded combat medics; their normal role is to remain at facilities the entirety of which are under protected status. I'm not sure exactly what doctrines were already established for US army doctors by the Korean war, but regardless, it's entirely defensible for a Korean war field hospital surgeon to be refusing on ethical grounds to shoot at the enemy, particularly when the life of a patient isn't at stake. Because on top of the geneva convention rules, doctors take an oath to "first do no harm" and most of them take that oath very seriously. Up to and including allowing themselves to die rather than kill another person.

So, can we please not act like hand-wringing moralism about resisting nazis is similar at all to the position of a war doctor refusing on principle or rule to exchange fire with enemy soldiers?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 25, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The one person that was coming close to saying that already said "actually I just rewatched the episode that bothered me and I realized my earlier takeaway wasn't the best read on the circumstances, sorry about that!" so we really don't need to go into the morality of field doctors in this thread now because it's another thing you can write exhausting essays about to feel smart.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I mean leperflesh isn't wrong, though, about any of it. I was actually getting pretty tempted to post about that myself.

Also the hippocratic oath

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

EDIT: though if you changed the dichotomy to, say, 'Life and Death'.....

Irreverent and Maudlin

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I put out another piece on the Vault this week, and the results have been reasonably pleasant! The main thing I want to talk about today, though, is the fact that charging $10-12 for my Vault pieces instead of $3-4 doesn't seem to have stopped anybody from buying them. This indicates to me that raising prices on stuff in the industry to more sustainable levels is probably more sustainable than people tend to think it is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

EDIT: though if you changed the dichotomy to, say, 'Life and Death'.....

Martinis and Medicine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kingcom posted:

Martinis and Medicine.

No, it should be two different things.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Spiteski posted:

Strong disagree there. Fantasy Grounds is easily better than R20 in nearly every way I know, with the one downside of not being suited to PbP/not-live-games. (And dynamic lighting, but that's coming in the next major update this year)
Maybe it's been significantly improved since I last used it a few years ago, but at the time FG it cost a lot more for a program that was no better than Roll20, unless you were playing D&D 3.x or a related system, with the added overhead of self-hosting. It looks like they've added some additional systems since, but the list is still pretty small.

If you are playing D&D (or one of the other listed games now) exclusively, maybe. If you're not, my experience was that not only did you lose most of the automation that made FG attractive, it actively impeded you in trying to do anything else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In a context where getting players to buy books for all the weird-rear end games I want to run is already (understandably) a massive hurdle, "costs money" is a bigger flaw than anything wrong with Roll20.

Even if there are, admittedly, a lot of flaws with Roll20 as well.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Only costs money for the DM, players can use the demo/free version.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arthil posted:

That's only if the host pays out for the expensive version.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I put out another piece on the Vault this week, and the results have been reasonably pleasant! The main thing I want to talk about today, though, is the fact that charging $10-12 for my Vault pieces instead of $3-4 doesn't seem to have stopped anybody from buying them. This indicates to me that raising prices on stuff in the industry to more sustainable levels is probably more sustainable than people tend to think it is.
Has there been much/any sales total dropoff?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Has there been much/any sales total dropoff?

I don't actually think it's dropped off much from product to product, although it's hard to spot the difference between "I released Solars on Wednesday and got a bump" and "The Realm came out Thursday, so I got a bump."

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
https://twitter.com/the_strix/status/1132402965577289728

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Arthil posted:

The subs that allow you to do this are cheaper than the subs that you need to get Roll20 to work with any of it's API stuff. But yea, if you use free version of Roll20 and 10/month is out of the question then yup R20 wins.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Mike Mearls seems to me testing the waters, he retweeted some podcast where was interviewed about the new DnD book.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Thankfully the replies are mostly "Mike Mearls is a shitbag for X reasons" so I don't think he's getting away that easily.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kurieg posted:

Meanwhile Mark Rein*Hagen is trying to have his edgy cake and eat it too, while also claiming he's being unfairly blamed for this whole ordeal.

Now he's saying he did know about the Chechnya chapter before the book went to press, and told them not to do it.

You missed the best one.

If you are good at what you do, you can be outrageous. If you are great, you can truly be transgression [sic]. If you are mildly mediocre...

and I was one of the writers on the project :smuggo:

god can you imagine

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Maybe it's been significantly improved since I last used it a few years ago, but at the time FG it cost a lot more for a program that was no better than Roll20, unless you were playing D&D 3.x or a related system, with the added overhead of self-hosting. It looks like they've added some additional systems since, but the list is still pretty small.

If you are playing D&D (or one of the other listed games now) exclusively, maybe. If you're not, my experience was that not only did you lose most of the automation that made FG attractive, it actively impeded you in trying to do anything else.

You also get into a client/server relationship and supporting my players when I work IT for a living is not gonna happen.

Does FG have sound support yet?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

alg posted:

You also get into a client/server relationship and supporting my players when I work IT for a living is not gonna happen.

Does FG have sound support yet?

Not built in, and I don't see it changing any time soon. They've already said that it's not on the near horizon for the Unity build either.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
It was posted in the 13th Age thread, but 13th Age writer Wade Rockett commented on Jonathan's Tweets statements on science and race.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I don't see where the comment is - unless one of the Redditor's in the linked thread there is who you're talking about.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
it's the one that says "waderockett" on the left side of the browser window

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Okay yeah I'm blind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't see "waderockett" anywhere on that page and it's not showing up when I make my browser search for it

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zereth posted:

I don't see "waderockett" anywhere on that page and it's not showing up when I make my browser search for it

It's the user name on the linked post.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Zereth posted:

I made this mistake too-- Wade posted in the SA 13th Age thread, not the Reddit page his post links to.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Zereth posted:

To allay all possible confusion in case you have him ignore-listed or something, it's this post:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FWIW, a user claiming to be Tweet posted in the linked Reddit thread and it's about as cringeworthy as you'd expect:

grandmotherfish posted:

This is Jonathan Tweet. People are saying that I posted about race & IQ, but that's not true. My late wife was black, and she was an English professor. Our adult daughter is an expert writer and writing tutor. In my experience, black folks are plenty smart. If folks are curious about what I said, I'd recommend reading my Twitter feed (or blog) for yourself. If folks want to see what I think about race, the human family, and evolution, please see Grandmother Fish, the first book to teach evolution to preschoolers. I appreciate that people engaged in online shaming are trying to oppose racism. I oppose racism myself. But when online-shamers spread misinformation, it's no good for anyone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Please check my twitter feed, which I have deleted the tweet from after being shamed."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Please engage me in the arena where I have at least partial control of the narrative."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"My views are at a preschool level, why do you ask?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

It's the user name on the linked post.
... oh. :doh:

Parkreiner posted:

I made this mistake too-- Wade posted in the SA 13th Age thread, not the Reddit page his post links to.
Yes this was my issue

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"I am not racist, and I will prove this by using exceptionalist language about my wife and child (who are quite intelligent, it turns out)."

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rand Brittain posted:

Pardon my ignorance and weak Google-fu: What's the Vault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Pardon my ignorance and weak Google-fu: What's the Vault?

The Storyteller's Vault is White Wolf's portal for selling fan content for oWoD, nWoD, and Exalted.