Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most anticipated new feature
Support for direct neural interface controls
Custom formable internet subculture system
Special mechanics for the Avocado Wars
Province destruction mechanics
View Results

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

bump

ok so the basic problem i see is -- do you play as a country or more of a political party? for places with multiparty systems it's more realistic but maybe less fun to play as a political party, because what do you do when you're out of power

Try to get your hypernormalization up so that when you get back into power your more egregious acts don't generate threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hey again, I haven't touched my game all that much, but it seems they pushed a new update to the "Age of Posadas" DLC and now I have to deal with astral creatures from beyond. Why they introduced these units, let alone Influential People that can communicate with them is beyond me, but now I have to completely change my strategy. How do you combat units that can directly communicate with the populace? My old strategy is done for, given that no one is watching TV or YourTube anymore, all they do is communicate with these other aliens.

This was a really rough update. What the hell do I do?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You need to tech up to Marianne Mindset before midgame if you want to get anywhere in AoP

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Victory Position posted:

Hey again, I haven't touched my game all that much, but it seems they pushed a new update to the "Age of Posadas" DLC and now I have to deal with astral creatures from beyond. Why they introduced these units, let alone Influential People that can communicate with them is beyond me, but now I have to completely change my strategy. How do you combat units that can directly communicate with the populace? My old strategy is done for, given that no one is watching TV or YourTube anymore, all they do is communicate with these other aliens.

just...ask the aliens in real life? they know and see all brethren

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Victory Position posted:

AoP is the worst update from Paradox since the sunset invasion, just disable that ahistorical garbage in the game rules or get a refund for your dlc.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Victory Position posted:

Play the Marianne Williamson campaign, it's a pretty decent introduction to the new mechanics

animist
Aug 28, 2018
wtf scaramucci straight-up vanished a few years into my run, is there a fix for this? idk how to unlock the guido caliphate now

edit: i tried to use cheat engine to bring him but i think i put in the wrong address and brought back oliver north instead :/

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

animist posted:

wtf scaramucci straight-up vanished a few years into my run, is there a fix for this? idk how to unlock the guido caliphate now

edit: i tried to use cheat engine to bring him but i think i put in the wrong address and brought back oliver north instead :/

That's not a bug. If you do ANY run in the mid-east, there's a tiny (2%?) chance that your chosen character is actually Oliver North in disguise. Did you try arms dealing? IIRC that increases his spawn chance

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

sullat posted:

Is there any way to get someone other than Trump to win the 2020 elections? All the opposition candidates have the 'radical centrist' debuff giving them -5/-5/-5 and when I try to select an unaffiliated candidate the primary decision bugs out. 9/12/2001 USA Start, VH/VH.

it's gamy but if you deliberately gently caress up your economy he loses

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

AoP is the worst update from Paradox since the sunset invasion, just disable that ahistorical garbage in the game rules or get a refund for your dlc.
Reported for Posadas denialism

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wtf is up with macron

france turning monarchist seems a bit far fetched even for paradox

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

Play the Marianne Williamson campaign, it's a pretty decent introduction to the new mechanics

Well, did this, I'm about 30 turns in, still not used to this kind of micromanagement. I have to click on each individual person I want to influence? This is tedious. I can't believe the game is throwing every single person on the planet at me. This is rough.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hentai Jihadist posted:

wtf is up with macron

If your bourgeois liberal pops become too numerous while you're government's legitimacy score is too low you can end up with a "woke king" getting elected instead of a fascist autocrat.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Victory Position posted:

Well, did this, I'm about 30 turns in, still not used to this kind of micromanagement. I have to click on each individual person I want to influence? This is tedious. I can't believe the game is throwing every single person on the planet at me. This is rough.

It's only grindy until you can work up to the unitary consciousness policy, then influence is all automated and you can focus on unification instead. You can speed it up if you build the ashram or set your research focus to crystallography

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

wtf is up with macron

If you want to play monarchist, try the England scenario right after the troubles re-ignite. If you end up with Rees-Mogg and get his PP high enough you can declare yourself king and he has a special CB that lets him war-dec any country that refuses to revoke Vatican III. Of course, without spending all your time min-maxing your military, you'll still get beaten by anyone more powerful than Sri Lanka, but you can end up with some pretty wide-spread empires.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

If you want to play monarchist, try the England scenario right after the troubles re-ignite. If you end up with Rees-Mogg and get his PP high enough you can declare yourself king and he has a special CB that lets him war-dec any country that refuses to revoke Vatican III. Of course, without spending all your time min-maxing your military, you'll still get beaten by anyone more powerful than Sri Lanka, but you can end up with some pretty wide-spread empires.

Reese-Mogg is fun, but the Farage-Monarchist timeline where you depose the queen and put Edward VIII's illegitimate grandchild on the throne is pretty badass.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Typo posted:

it's gamy but if you deliberately gently caress up your economy he loses

in my experience, it's borderline impossible for trump to lose in 2020. i've had occasional success playing very ahistorically (implementing universal health care + drug law reform + tobin tax), but even then it's pretty rare. i've definitely never had trump lose when playing semi-historically and letting my economy fall apart

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

redleader posted:

in my experience, it's borderline impossible for trump to lose in 2020. i've had occasional success playing very ahistorically (implementing universal health care + drug law reform + tobin tax), but even then it's pretty rare. i've definitely never had trump lose when playing semi-historically and letting my economy fall apart

One of the devs is definitely a chud. I decided to make a NeverTrump mod, and my first attempt involved setting Trump's Electability to 0. Turns out the Electability variable exists for every candidate (and even a few politicians who aren't actually allowed to run for office!) but it's never actually called anywhere in the code, so it does nothing despite all the rants about its importance in the tutorial. Way to obfuscate your mechanics, devs.

So for my next attempt I deleted all references to Donald Trump in the game. Well, lo and behold, Don Jr. still gets born (and the game still calls him Don Jr. despite his father's name being presented as #RUNTIME_ERROR_1488) and he still has every single negative trait, and he beats Clinton in 2020 and goes on to found the Holy Trumpian Empire in 2024.

I thought the point of this game was to create wildly ahistorical fantasies, not a timeline that's slightly different, but still perfectly plausible. :shrug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Big Mad Drongo posted:

#RUNTIME_ERROR_1488

:hmmyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/CatholicHerald/status/1134172906110496768?s=20

I’m having a lot of trouble with this new 2019 HRE start. you have zero military so you can’t force anything and countries want to leave and not vassalize if you gently caress around with the euro. the only thing that seems to help get me off the ground is building Trump towers everywhere and then fabricate claims for the US

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Big Mad Drongo posted:

One of the devs is definitely a chud. I decided to make a NeverTrump mod, and my first attempt involved setting Trump's Electability to 0. Turns out the Electability variable exists for every candidate (and even a few politicians who aren't actually allowed to run for office!) but it's never actually called anywhere in the code, so it does nothing despite all the rants about its importance in the tutorial. Way to obfuscate your mechanics, devs.

So for my next attempt I deleted all references to Donald Trump in the game. Well, lo and behold, Don Jr. still gets born (and the game still calls him Don Jr. despite his father's name being presented as #RUNTIME_ERROR_1488) and he still has every single negative trait, and he beats Clinton in 2020 and goes on to found the Holy Trumpian Empire in 2024.

I thought the point of this game was to create wildly ahistorical fantasies, not a timeline that's slightly different, but still perfectly plausible. :shrug:

Electability is a score summarizing numerous different traits, setting it to zero won't alter the underlying game.

The Don Jr. issue is trickier. Normally a child born to a deleted character will be born as 'Unnamed infant', a little easter egg reference to an infamous, ancient bug in pre-apocalypse Paradox games. Currently, however, scripting assures that Donald Trump's child will always be named Don Jr., regardless of whether Don Sr. is deleted or not. This is a temporary measure until the effects of the Clinical Narcissism and WASP traits on child naming are implemented fully.

A Don Jr. born to a deleted Don Sr. will still, however, have all the characteristics of a child created under the Unnamed Infant easter egg. Namely, they will have every non-conflicting trait, positive or negative. This includes traits such as Maverick (treated as Independent regardless of actual policy views), Nothing Matters (-75% scandal effect) and Peanut Farmer (+15% with rural voters, -5% wealth). The balance of all of these traits as currently implemented is extremely positive, meaning an Unnamed Infant character will almost always sweep any election they participate in. Fortunately this does not effect unmodified games as Unnamed Infants can only be created when a player deletes a character using the console without first enabling cheats using "set_CheatsEnabled = 1" or, equivalently, entering "WhiteHousePlumber" into the console.

FYI this bug is currently basically the only way to found the Holy Trumpian Empire as a character other than the historical Empress Tiffany.

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 00:48 on May 31, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
God loving dammit I just rolled the climate change famine event and my president won't stop rivalling all the net food exporters

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to make the unit stats a little more coherent because right now I can spend all my money on the best units (stats wise) but I've just been getting hosed up in conflict after conflict it's fuckin bullshit.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

God loving dammit I just rolled the climate change famine event and my president won't stop rivalling all the net food exporters

That's a glitch in the presidential AI. Basically, it sees the trade deficit on food and tries to use tariffs to "fix" the deficit, but it doesn't realize that the tariffs are hurting its own pops. The AI will also just pretend climate change isn't happening sometimes, which causes it to hurt itself even more.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Moridin920 posted:

They need to make the unit stats a little more coherent because right now I can spend all my money on the best units (stats wise) but I've just been getting hosed up in conflict after conflict it's fuckin bullshit.

it's easy to struggle with this one in the early game coming out of the EU series where the best strategy is often to start expanding right out of the gate

expansion in the early game in DoC4 is heavily penalized due to 3 things: 1) early game land warfare doctrine 2) the UN and 3) morale. if you look at your doctrines, you'll see just about every nation starts with a trait for 'The Just War' with extensive penalties based on casus belli. so first off, start teching up to at least level 3. second, get to work dissolving the UN, or they basically sanction + demand you return provinces after any war worth winning. you can do this yourself if you picked a security councillor start or if you can ally enough of them to join the council OR you can just support Russia every time they propose a reform to the UN. either way, the UN dissolves by the start of the first water war, so use the time ahead of it to propaganda/support rebels in your rivals.

which leads us to 3: morale is super important in unit performance. make sure your national ideology aligns with expansionism! A big part of DoC is managing continuous environmental shocks which will provoke isolationism and shitloads of war exhaustion. theocracy is the easy mode here, as you can chain-declare crusades once you have a good source of influence (which you can also use to overcome the penalties to recruiting Generals).

combine these 3 things and wars get a lot easier. you may have noticed annexed provinces can spawn rebels mid-war. don't be afraid to exterminate populations as needed to prevent this, settlers/immigrants can replace them quickly.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's historical, but it's still funny and game-breaking how OP China is early on. Chairman Xi has the most ridiculous stats, so by 2030 I have both Vietnam (!!!) and Japan (?!?!?!?!) as satellites in addition to Korea. Of course, I get that it shouldn't matter much when Ecological Collapse triggers around 2050, but get this: the model for environmental decay is based on global temperature rises, and by pledging support to Pakistan over and over again you can guarantee nuclear war on the subcontinent before 2040 or so. The resulting nuclear winter basically makes the game trivial, since EC doesn't trigger until after you've researched all the necessary green tech around 2070.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Eco-Stalinist rebels only start popping in like the 2060's in my games, this has to be a bug right? I'm not super familiar with the 21st but I feel like by the 2020's it was abundantly clear the eco-Stalinists were correct and necessary, and the flag to enable them is attached to an invention in the 1990's, shouldn't they start popping around then?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Would anybody be interested in seeing a Singapore WC Let's Play? It took me until 2153, but I finally eliminated all the litter in the world.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Eco-Stalinist rebels only start popping in like the 2060's in my games, this has to be a bug right? I'm not super familiar with the 21st but I feel like by the 2020's it was abundantly clear the eco-Stalinists were correct and necessary, and the flag to enable them is attached to an invention in the 1990's, shouldn't they start popping around then?

It's a balance thing. They're obviously super effective at stopping the Climate Catastrophe, but the game still needs the Catastrophe to happen or the whole late game just gets boring (Trust me, I accidentally modded it out once).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AnoHito posted:

It's a balance thing. They're obviously super effective at stopping the Climate Catastrophe, but the game still needs the Catastrophe to happen or the whole late game just gets boring (Trust me, I accidentally modded it out once).
Are you sure you didn't mod out the entire Capitalism chain? There's, like, five end game crises that key off it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Splicer posted:

Are you sure you didn't mod out the entire Capitalism chain? There's, like, five end game crises that key off it.

Man I screwed up so much stuff in that mod. I kept trying to make America not act like a bunch of suicidal idiots, but it turns out that really drives most of the conflict in the game.

On a sort of related note, finally managed to get the "He will have won" modifier in a Bernie run and lol is it broken. The game keeps alternating events where I draw in massive support with these weird events where my competitors "surge ahead in the polls" to like 5%, while I apparently "stagnate and crash" to like 5 times that. Hopefully the election event itself won't be similarly broken...

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Aw dammit, the ai just formed Thiemean-Austraetist Benelux and now the Aidan Cook hero unit keeps bum rushing my Speech Zones thanks to covert funding to the Animal Rights Crusade

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well, after nearly 40 loving tries, I finally succeeded through all the bugs and bullshit. I've successfully transitioned from the USA in the Collapse '08 start to the Union of American Republics. Went Martial Socialist, tag swap date was 6.11.2049. Problem is, though even after I've managed to stop most of the Climate poo poo from happening, and the Alien invasion was short circuited by diplomacy, the one off New Aristocracy event has caused a ridiculous cascade. It originally fired as you'd expect when I made the ideology swap 20 years ago.

But it just kept firing every once in a while being a pain. However, in the last year it's just fired multiple times a day, there are now more soldiers risen up by this goddamned event against me then there civilians both of my own and all others in the loving entire world. Even with MarSoc's great benefits, you can't beat entire countries just up and marching their entire populations on you when the event fires 10 times in a day for them.

I don't think 68% of the entire population of Earth should be able to just up and decide that all Socialists deserve to burn out of nowhere after we save to world, ffs. Patch this poo poo please.

E: Also, while it's pretty good, the flag for the UAR just feels off.

StealthArcher has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Jun 8, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Norton the First posted:

I know it's historical, but it's still funny and game-breaking how OP China is early on. Chairman Xi has the most ridiculous stats, so by 2030 I have both Vietnam (!!!) and Japan (?!?!?!?!) as satellites in addition to Korea. Of course, I get that it shouldn't matter much when Ecological Collapse triggers around 2050, but get this: the model for environmental decay is based on global temperature rises, and by pledging support to Pakistan over and over again you can guarantee nuclear war on the subcontinent before 2040 or so. The resulting nuclear winter basically makes the game trivial, since EC doesn't trigger until after you've researched all the necessary green tech around 2070.

How do you get China to not burn down all of Japan immediately after taking control? Are you playing with an alt history mod?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing as America but every time I reach 2020 I get dragged out of my HQ and guillotined by a man named "Bologna Sandwiches" wtf???

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I'm playing as America but every time I reach 2020 I get dragged out of my HQ and guillotined by a man named "Bologna Sandwiches" wtf???

Are you on 1.5.114535.69? There was a bug in the pop code that made Accelerationism work as the myth states it does, it was fixed pretty much same day, but lol this game and it's update handling.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Might have found a bug. I'm playing the Perfidious Albion scenario, and the Prime Minister just resigned, but when I look at the leader list she's still there. I've tried fixing it with console commands but it just gives me a Prime Minister with the same stats and a slightly different name.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

Might have found a bug. I'm playing the Perfidious Albion scenario, and the Prime Minister just resigned, but when I look at the leader list she's still there. I've tried fixing it with console commands but it just gives me a Prime Minister with the same stats and a slightly different name.

I had this happen too but for some reason when the General Election event finally triggers, the United States gets a free roll to modify the results to their preference? Is this to satisfy the US mains that were crying about not being able to win re-election with a Third Way ideology tree?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I had this happen too but for some reason when the General Election event finally triggers, the United States gets a free roll to modify the results to their preference? Is this to satisfy the US mains that were crying about not being able to win re-election with a Third Way ideology tree?

Nah, this is just the hidden cryptofash debuff to most of the Neoliberal states. They can all be hosed with it, the UK just has the least ability to fight back in that starting scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

How do you get China to not burn down all of Japan immediately after taking control? Are you playing with an alt history mod?

if the popular revolts get strong enough that the police starts machine gunning rioters, stage 3, china can recognize the rioters as a legitimate state, invade and liberate the tag

if you get to stage 5 repression, they'll start exporting maoist cells until the alien invasion