Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress. I may have to try a cat grandpa after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay so I wanna start leveling up RDM, what's my basic poo poo look like right after I open up the job?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Give it a try and find out? It's probably the easiest DPS to play right now, and it's basically about 1) knowing that dualcast exists so you cast a quick spell to insta-cast a long-cast spell as a followup, and 2) using two parallel sets of skills to raise two different gauges while trying to keep them even with each other so you can do the big finishers you get later. It's pretty intuitive once you play around with it for a little.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

S.J. posted:

Okay so I wanna start leveling up RDM, what's my basic poo poo look like right after I open up the job?
You have two basic sets of abilities right now: spells and sword attacks, with a couple of other things thrown in there (Acceleration)

You'll cast Jolt to dualcast Verthunder or Veraero. Those can proc Verfire or Verstone. Use those instead of Jolt when available, again DCing into Thunder/Aero. Raise each bar to 80, but don't let either get more than 30 higher than the other or else it slows mana growth. When you hit 80, use Corpsy Corpse to attack an enemy, then hit them with your sword combo. Then use the jump away ability and start casting again to rebuild your bars.

For groups, double-cast Scatter. At 52 you get Moulinet, which is your AOE sword skill. Basically you'll just spam Scatters and Moulinets. Once you hit 60 you'll have some more poo poo but basically it all just adds up to different ways to get the meters to go faster, plus some cure spells. Your rotation doesn't change majorly at any point, but at 68 and 70 you'll get your two combo cappers, Very Flare and Very Holy. But those are each designed to start you on building to the other, so most of your gameplay is alternating black/white spells, then sword combo into big spell, then alternating the other direction.

Generally your single-target damage is better than AOE, you're not BLM, but Scatter/Moulinet is enough to deal with big groups, especially once you start getting fancy and combining it with Manafication/Embolden to drop 5 Moulinets in a row.

It's real, real easy, and the skill floor is low enough that you'll have a hard time not contributing notable DPS. In dungeons sometimes you'll have to res a healer or doublecast V. Cure on yourself or a tank occasionally if you get hit with a big AOE or the healer is dead. You're basically a more forgiving BLM with less peak damage potential but a way easier time sustaining damage continuously.

P.S. the only role action you want is Lucid Dreaming, but you really really really want Lucid Dreaming.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Mr. Happy notes something in the WHM job skills video. The WHM started with 3 blue flowers, and Yoshi mentioned that those flowers are just generated over time. The blue flowers were consumed on various ally targeted abilities. After all 3 were used, a red flower shows up on the gauge, which is consumed when the WHM casts that huge red water lily spell on the target dummy.

On watching the video myself, I note that all the abilities that consume lilies don’t appear to have cast times.

This suggest a job design that rewards using instant heals and buffs with big flashy nukes. Not a design where you’re expected to meekly cast heals all the time.

So get hype healers, I think sqenix understands what makes healing in FFXIV interesting.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Finally, disc priest is in ff14. :getin:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good, that's the only healer design in any MMO I liked. Well, that and Warrior Priest from WAR. Warrior priests would bash dudes with hammers which gives them class resources to heal their allies bigly which makes them fun, effective, and cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

M.c.P posted:

Mr. Happy notes something in the WHM job skills video. The WHM started with 3 blue flowers, and Yoshi mentioned that those flowers are just generated over time. The blue flowers were consumed on various ally targeted abilities. After all 3 were used, a red flower shows up on the gauge, which is consumed when the WHM casts that huge red water lily spell on the target dummy.

On watching the video myself, I note that all the abilities that consume lilies don’t appear to have cast times.

This suggest a job design that rewards using instant heals and buffs with big flashy nukes. Not a design where you’re expected to meekly cast heals all the time.

So get hype healers, I think sqenix understands what makes healing in FFXIV interesting.

Looking at the pastebin leaks and the datamine info from the benchmark, I think healer dpsing is going to be the same as it ever was, if not better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Looking at the pastebin leaks and the datamine info from the benchmark, I think healer dpsing is going to be the same as it ever was, if not better.
I think it's pretty clear from all the leaks that they're deleting the healers and tanks are going to only have shields and healing spells to generate aggro.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

P.S. the only role action you want is Lucid Dreaming, but you really really really want Lucid Dreaming.
diversion is also good because RMD also gets two skills on cooldown to shoot energy swords(one singletarget and the other aoe ), and on at least a few roulettes using all those skills at the start without diversion I managed to pull agro away from a tank that thought one flash or whatever was all they need to get the boss's attention.

ps: Fleche can be used between dualcast/melee combo without cancelling it so there's never a reason not to immediately press that button as soon as its up each time.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 25, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Which paastebin leak is the good one now?

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Tengames posted:

diversion is also good because RMD also gets two skills on cooldown to shoot energy swords(one singletarget and the other aoe ), and on at least a few roulettes using all those skills at the start without diversion I managed to pull agro away from a tank that thought one flash or whatever was all they need to get the boss's attention.

ps: Fleche can be used between dualcast/melee combo without cancelling it so there's never a reason not to immediately press that button as soon as its up each time.

Yep if you’re playing rdm without diversion you’re going to be in big trouble (unless you’re just really undergeared or bad at the rotation) The burst dps rdm can throw out at the gate really needs diversion or you’re going to be ripping aggro and forcing the tanks to lose dps getting it back. Don’t waste lucid on this either as you’ll likely need it later in the fight to recover mp depending on what happens.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I forgot to mention Diversion because I was thinking about MP regen, but yes, DV is also nice.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

M.c.P posted:

Making WHM more like SCH means I might switch back to WHM. So yeah, I'm okay with this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I forgot to mention Diversion because I was thinking about MP regen, but yes, DV is also nice.
Yeah it's important to reiterate that Lucid Dreaming is the only way Red Mages can regen MP right now. The rotation in general is pretty neutral, but as you get higher gear and more spell speed you'll slowly run in the negatives unless the boss has extended downtime phases, and you'll definitely run out quick if you're having to spam vercure or verraise at all. It's pretty critical there.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FactsAreUseless posted:

You have two basic sets of abilities right now: spells and sword attacks, with a couple of other things thrown in there (Acceleration)

You'll cast Jolt to dualcast Verthunder or Veraero. Those can proc Verfire or Verstone. Use those instead of Jolt when available, again DCing into Thunder/Aero. Raise each bar to 80, but don't let either get more than 30 higher than the other or else it slows mana growth. When you hit 80, use Corpsy Corpse to attack an enemy, then hit them with your sword combo. Then use the jump away ability and start casting again to rebuild your bars.

For groups, double-cast Scatter. At 52 you get Moulinet, which is your AOE sword skill. Basically you'll just spam Scatters and Moulinets. Once you hit 60 you'll have some more poo poo but basically it all just adds up to different ways to get the meters to go faster, plus some cure spells. Your rotation doesn't change majorly at any point, but at 68 and 70 you'll get your two combo cappers, Very Flare and Very Holy. But those are each designed to start you on building to the other, so most of your gameplay is alternating black/white spells, then sword combo into big spell, then alternating the other direction.

Generally your single-target damage is better than AOE, you're not BLM, but Scatter/Moulinet is enough to deal with big groups, especially once you start getting fancy and combining it with Manafication/Embolden to drop 5 Moulinets in a row.

It's real, real easy, and the skill floor is low enough that you'll have a hard time not contributing notable DPS. In dungeons sometimes you'll have to res a healer or doublecast V. Cure on yourself or a tank occasionally if you get hit with a big AOE or the healer is dead. You're basically a more forgiving BLM with less peak damage potential but a way easier time sustaining damage continuously.

Sick, thanks man!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tzarnal posted:

Making WHM more like SCH means I might switch back to WHM. So yeah, I'm okay with this.

White Mages gimmick is probably still gonna be extremely vanilla and simple to play so I doubt it's gonna be that much like SCH.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's important to reiterate that Lucid Dreaming is the only way Red Mages can regen MP right now. The rotation in general is pretty neutral, but as you get higher gear and more spell speed you'll slowly run in the negatives unless the boss has extended downtime phases, and you'll definitely run out quick if you're having to spam vercure or verraise at all. It's pretty critical there.
It's also the only way to not get locked out of fights if you die.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

S.J. posted:

Sick, thanks man!
Note that V. Flare and V. Holy are single-target, not AOE. Supposedly they're adding way more RDM AOE in 5.0, which sounds like it's refocusing on AOE for all DPS classes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Baby Holy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I still don't like PBAOE on a healer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

now where is this coming from (and is there more)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 25, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Impermanent posted:

they did it, those beautiful bastards finally killed the ALC guildmaster. I'll never have to talk to that smug rear end in a top hat again. Finally.

I feel like there's a non zero chance some of the crafter/gatherer npcs show up for the Ishgard rebuild.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

They really must be intent on putting DoT effects off of scholar (and maybe summoner too?) since this is basically just Miasma 2 minus the DoT effect with a bit more potency to off-set. It’ll be better as on oGCD weaver at least in this form.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How good are 8man maps for cash? I'm getting broke as heck and starting to want to push at least some non-combat jobs up for SHB/to do Moogles/Namizu so I need cash.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I just bought this game, does anybody want to send me a RAF code?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

sunaurus posted:

I just bought this game, does anybody want to send me a RAF code?

YFWP6XXB

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Cool, used it.

Also quick question: I've read that flying mounts only work in some newer areas, but does that include most high-level content? Do you mostly use flying to get around on a max level character?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They don't work at all in the vanilla zones, and to have to unlock flight in the expansion zones, usually not until you're pretty much finished with the story quest there. While you're working on the MSQ you'll be primarily on the ground, but after that yeah.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Mind you - they work, they just don't fly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

After starting in mid-February, I finally finished the MSQ! :toot:

Now to figure out how to spend the next month while I wait for ShB to release.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BisbyWorl posted:

After starting in mid-February, I finally finished the MSQ! :toot:

Now to figure out how to spend the next month while I wait for ShB to release.

:toot:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bobfly posted:

Foe's requiem is a pretty annoying button, and I won't mind its removal. But I really like stuff like palisade and nature's minne, so I hope those kinds of super abilities get to stay. I'm pretty hopeful given what they've done with troubadour.
Is this as a Raiding Bard or as a Casual Bard?

I'm a Bard main but as a casual I never touch either of those buttons. I don't even know what they do.

I think Palisade is a defense buff? I just hover over it long enough to say, "That's why they call it the Palisades, bro." Then I move on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nature's Minne owns, it's my dedicated "Oh gently caress I just ate poo poo" button.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had a fit of inspiration

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mrfishstick posted:

They really must be intent on putting DoT effects off of scholar (and maybe summoner too?) since this is basically just Miasma 2 minus the DoT effect with a bit more potency to off-set. It’ll be better as on oGCD weaver at least in this form.

The Pastebin leak claimed SCH still had AoE DoTs, so I think this is more meant to bring them more in line with other jobs in terms of overall potency, since Miasma II would gut your MP if you tried to spam it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

And now this is inspiring me. Can anyone who has screenshots of chatlogs of tanks or other party members not putting on protect post them?